Report: Josh Elliott Leaving GMA for NBC Sports; ABC Quickly Names Replacement

Josh Elliott GMAGood Morning America is about to get a major facelift, as current news anchor Josh Elliott plans to leave the ABC staple for a position at NBC Sports, The New York Times is reporting.

RELATED | Lifetime Turning Today Show Exposé Into Movie — Who Should Play Matt, Al and Ann?

Current ABC News correspondent Amy Robach has reportedly been tapped to replace Elliott, and according to the Times, an official announcement will be made in the next couple of days.

This is the second major loss for GMA in the past few months, following the exit of longtime weatherman Sam Champion in December (who jumped to The Weather Channel).

1. Amanda says:

I watched GMA for the chemistry between Josh, Laura, and Sam but now with both Sam and Josh gone I will switch to CBS. You get more news there anyway.

• Donna says:

I agree with you. I loved the interaction between the three.

• Janet says:

Watched gma every morning because of the chemistry among the team. It was perfect. Sam leaving was bad enough but with Josh gone…I refuse to ever watch again. How stupid can a network be. High price for egos of few to loose millions of viewers.

• I always watched GMA for the variety in personalites….now whos going to replace Josh,we all miss
      Sam…but life goes on….I may change to CBS…comment by Jay DeSchuiteneer $14,2014

2. Lorie says:

Darn! I’ll miss him on GMA.

3. Lynn says:

I’m not surprised he is leaving. He was renegotiating his contract and wanted the same salary as Robin Roberts. He must have a huge ego if he thinks he should earn as much as a longtime, popular host as Robin. Good riddance.

• Hayes says:

I don’t think he was trying to get a Robin-level salary, but at least as much as Lara Spencer’s.

• WTactualF says:

No, he was. $8 million is the number I heard. I like Josh, but he’s not worth $8 mil. His ego got too big.

Love Sam Champion, but Ginger Zee is great too. Amy Robach is an inspiration and will do well in Josh’s old job. All in all, in still with GMA.

• Ziggy2003 says:

How would you like sitting next to somebody that’s making 20 X times as much money as you are.

• Paulette Hill says:

I agree with you, as long as Robin Roberts and George S. stay, I’m staying with GMA. This program has high energy every day by starting off with the news and then moving on to other interesting topics that are uplifting, enjoyable and happy. I’m tired of news stations reporting the same news over and over and over during the same telecast. Murders, Fires, child cruelty, in-humane acts toward one another doesn’t have to be all news stations report!!!! GMA FOREVER!!!!!

4. TaMara says:

Amy Robach? That’s got to be temporary or I’ll be moving to CBS as well. I think David Muir is the only one with enough charisma and following to take Josh’s place. Too bad, if he hadn’t pushed for so much money, he would have taken Stephonalphabet’s place in a few years.

5. nickp91 says:

Wow but good news for Amy Robach

6. RS says:

Huge huge huge loss for GMA. I watch for Josh – no other reason. Amy is fantastic and I wish her well in her new role but she’s no Josh and certainly not the same eye candy! Big mistake for ABC…

• B. Marino says:

Will miss Josh…I’ll switch to CBS now. Can’t stand Robin…love Lara & George….

• Lady1 says:

Josh has a huge ego. He is not ready for George or Matt’s job. He want to jump from the bottom to the top in 2.3 seconds. Life does not work that way. Be careful over at NBC Josh. Keep in mind what they did to Ann Curry. Lara was smart not to take the bait. NBC is only trying to dismantle the competition.

7. Boiler says:

wow I guess I’m in the minority so far. I like Amy and likely will not miss Josh at all. Not so much that I don’t like him but I he sometimes considered himself bigger than the show. I watch for George and Robin

8. J V Smith says:

Networks will never learn. They finally beat NBC for the #1 spot and within a year they let 2 of their best go. Not a smart move at all. I haven’t gotten used to that weather lady walking backwards to the weather board and now Josh will be gone to? Won’t watch.

9. sladewilson says:

I like Amy and I’m happy for her, but losing Josh is huge. Plus Robin must be going nuts, losing both Sam and Josh…

10. guido peepscockerel says:

Good riddance to Josh. His ego was bigger than his talent. No big loss for GMA.

11. I don’t think it’s a huge loss, now losing Chris. Cumin that was a loss. Josh it was evident was into himself and he wasn’t even there long enough to establish a well noted following . Their best bet would be David Muir , watch as ratings fall quick , I truly only watch for Robin Roberts, all the Best ABC, a long time Viewer and Fan from San Antonio, Texas !

12. Rjrtist says:

Goodbye ratings. I gather there aren’t any men watching morning tv the way ABC is programming GMA .

13. Inna N says:

Josh is smug, condescending and clearly uncomfortable with women. Good riddance.

14. ggny says:

Kinda of a step backwards for him isnt it?

15. Mary says:

Don’t josh and Lara hate each other? Maybe that’s why he’s leaving.

16. Ziggy2003 says:

I think most people watch those shows because there is nothing else to watch on TV that early in the morning. Most people are at work, school or on their way there so basically you got a pretty limited market.

I think Josh was genuinely a nice guy, but he was making about a million compared to 20 million for Robin and who knows what George S. is making, probably more than Robin.

Amy might make a good replacement she is pretty enough but now you got one guy and three females.

• Crystal says:

I really hope that’s not why he left. Robin Roberts has significantly more experience than he does and more than paid her dues.

17. Crystal says:

This hurts him far more than it hurts GMA. NBC Sports is basically Notre Dame football and a Sunday night NFL game in the fall, the Stanley Cup, and the Olympics every other year. And they’ve been stocking up on on-screen personnel over the last few years so I don’t see him getting on-air a lot. Unless he’s being groomed to take over for Costas, he’d have been better off going back to ESPN.

18. Paul J. Reedy says:

GMA wake up and stop letting NBC poach your talent. First Sam to NBC owned Weather Channel and now Josh to NBC sports. It’s no coincidence that Today has been lagging in the ratings. If you aren’t careful you are going to lose all those viewers who think of GMA like family.

19. Claudine says:

Glad he’s leaving. Too much ego for my taste. Love Amy – very happy for her. Glad Lara is staying too. Missed her when she went to CA.

20. Diane says:

Had a feeling this was coming. He has been absent a lot, most likely taking meetings with other networks. Plus I think he misses Sam and there seems to be tension between him and Lara.

21. Jake says:

I personally would have gone with dan harris

22. doctahw says:

Ill-advised move by Josh — especially since, it appears the money is more the same or less in the offers on the table at the two alphabets. Position-wise — he has much more visibility, spotlight, variety and fun at G-M-A, where, essentially, he’s allowed to be the “alpha-male” and at 6-foot-5, an imposing figure with presence (although his voice is not memorable) but in personality, he outshines the more cerebral George S. Now — the move for Josh makes sense, IF there is a clause in his NBC contract that gives him the chair on TODAY when Matt Lauer goes. Maybe — just maybe — that’s at play here — otherwise — what’s he really going to do at NBC Sports that he didn’t already do at ESPN?? 5 Million is a hell of a lot of cheese BUT it just didn’t seem ABC would pay this guy near north of what Diane Sawyer gets. I guess some are just not as, er, grateful, as they should be!

• It is hard for me to believe that he has claim to Lauer’s chair. Wouldn’t Willie Geist be the logical step considering he’s already on Today and has the history with NBC? If they made that change, I might start watching Today! Josh? Not so much. I watch GMA for Robin, George and Lara. Very happy for Amy though!

• doctahw says:

Heck! Who knows what’s in this new NBC contract Josh signed, while snubbing ABC. But, my educated, calculated guess, having worked in the TV News game as a talent, is that the peacock executives had to dangle/promise in writing, a major role for Josh on TODAY, to get him to jump for, essentially a similar money deal. (while damaging the GMA team) If I’m in Josh shoes, I would have stayed with ABC for these reasons; It was Ben Sherwood who plucked him from ESPN for a role that would eventually morph into a newsreader/co-host seat on GMA. This same Sherwood will soon lead ABC Programming (replacing Sweeney). Josh was a part of the team that dethroned TODAY (and the suits remember and reward that kind of stuff). His champion is Sherwood. Now, as for the dollars: I don’t blame Josh for asking for up to 10 Million. If he was at 1 mil in the last year of the original 3 year deal — then ABC going up to 5 mil is a win (there were probably other incentives/clauses written in). I think what the ABC suits were saying — is, “here’s 5 for now, you can get to 10 in the NEXT deal…” So why leave a place where you are an alpha-dog co-king and your champion is the news prez on the way up to running the whole network??? Bad move, UNLESS — Josh has been promised the TODAY chair in a year or so! His “Q” and likability is way higher than Matt Lauer’s as we speak. Will that last?? As for Willie Geist, who would make a wise choice, with his credibility and steadiness — lacks that “star” quotient. Let’s not forget — these morning shows are in the business of…show business!!

23. Tran 2.0 says:

First Sam Champion now Josh Elliott? Where does GMA go from here and is Lara Spencer still around ’cause I never watched GMA that much.

24. Ana says:

Not too impressed with GMA anymore, Ive also turned to CBS. The show has lost a lot of the rapport between its cast. They still need help with their wardrobe…esp the weather lady

25. Beth says:

Always enjoyed the chemistry between Sam & Josh. After Sam left Josh was the only one with a personality. George is a complete bore, Lara is just silly, Robin is too arrogant , Amy & Ginger add nothing to the dynamic of the show. Losing Sam & Josh is a huge loss so I will be looking for an alternative. The story lines on GMA have been trivial so I will receive more news by switching.

• Sandy says:

II agree with Beth.

• LisaP says:

Agreed – I will miss Josh too! He and Sam were wonderful together – what the heck is going on over there at ABC???

BTW – the numbers I hear were Josh was making $800,000 and wanted $10 mil.

• jennie schreiber says:

I AGREE BUT IM NOT SORRY FOR THE DEPARTURE OF JOSH ., WAY TOOO ARROGANT AND STUPID , THERE IS NOT MUCH LEFT., BUT DUMB LARA, STAUNCH GEORGE AND OH YEAH GINGER SHE TRIES BUT NOT VERY EFFECTIVE, HONEY STICK TO THE WEATHER.

26. Clare lindsey says:

Josh good morning America is going to be hurting without your presents . I wish you well .

27. Whatevah says:

Buh bye you egomaniac. I haven’t liked this guy since passively/aggressively scolded our local ABC newsman for making a Miley twerking joke. See ya Josh, I hope your big head can fit through the door on your way out.

28. julie breland says:

No Sam, no Josh NO GOOD

29. pam hall says:

I wish you well Josh cause I won’t be watching you on NBC Sports. Other than your daughter, sports is your life, and now you’ve got what you want (plus the dollars). I’m sure you realize that you’re losing many viewers who watched you for your sparkling personality and quick wit. That’s what I’ll miss most about not seeing you anymore. ABC has lost me as a GMA viewer as well. I personally think you are somewhat of a traitor. You and Sam both going to a crappy network like NBC. Good luck with that. And you didn’t even get a proper goodbye from your ABC cronies. Were you just a chicken about saying goodbye on air instead of just releasing the news to the media. Could it be that a lot of the stuff on Google was right. After a good cry about not seeing you anymore, I’ll get on with my life.

30. Bitsy says:

I never cared for Josh and adore Amy, so I don’t mind this shake up at all! Now if only they would get rid of Lara Spencer. She comes off so disingenuous and fake. Also, who dresses Ginger Z? Her style is impeccable and I have LOVED her as an addition to the show. That being said, there are a lot of ladies on that panel. I wish Lester Holt would jump ship and head over to GMA. I adore him!

31. pam hall says:

One last (and less nasty) comment. I can’t imagine how hard it must be for you to leave friends and a job you love so much. Hopefully, it’s not because of the money but because of the chance to go back to your second greatest love (Sarina will always be #1), sports. A greater sports junkie never lived!! I (and many GMA viewers) will miss your handsome face and witty personality first thing in the AM. It just won’t be the same. I’m sorry I missed the chance to come to NYC and visit the GMA studios and meet you. I’m just not a sports junkie (except for my 3 great hometown pro teams), so won’t be seeing much of you anymore…my loss. As I wipe away the tears of sadness at your departure, I sincerely wish you nothing but the best both personally and professionally. Maazel tov, Josh!

32. Allison says:

I was shocked to hear this! I watched GMA for the camaraderie between Sam, Josh, and Robin. I was moved by their (Sam and Josh) support of Robin during her bout with cancer. I felt like there was such love shared with those three. Then Sam left. Now Josh has left. Now there is only Robin. I feel like there was a divorce and nobody won. I like Robin, I always have. I like her when she hosted GMA with Diane Sawyer for about a minute and a half. Then Diane left. Before that, Charles Gibson left. I adored him tremendously! All these wonderful people leaving for greener pastures. I don’t fault them, but I do miss them. Now we are stuck with Lara Spencer. I don’t care for her at all. She just seems so inauthentic. Nothing genuine or sincere about her. Oh well at least there is still Robin…for now…

33. albean99 says:

I’ll still watch. Josh struck me as not sincere a lot of the time. I love Robin but also like everyone else and Amy will fit in nicely like Ginger did. I’ve been watching for years and people say they’ll stop watching whenever someone leaves but the ratings say differently.

34. Will says:

it’s the end of the world now! people will be rioting in the streets that Josh Elliot has left.. ratings will plummet, the country in chaos.. we must be strong!

35. Terry says:

I will miss Josh…I thought he was being groomed for George’s place and he would have made a great co-host with robin but unfortunately that won’t happen now…good luck Josh!

36. Tracie says:

I’ll miss Josh too. I turned to GMA once by accident, saw Josh, and have been watching ever since! I always thought of him as fun and loving, and nice on the eyes too. We share the same birthday (not year – I’m a few years younger still). Good luck Josh! I’ll miss you. Maybe I will look at more sports now . . . .

37. Ricky Dee says:

“George’s Angels A.M.”

38. Donna says:

I was hanging on by a thread since Sam left. Now with Josh leaving the eye candy is gone. Nothing against Amy or Ginger but couldn’t ABC find one male employee to fill the spot.

39. Cyberdismond says:

We have not gotten a cohesive weather report since Sam’s departure. Ginger is no weather reporter. She giggles too much, which negatively effects her audio deliverance.

40. Joan says:

I’ve always watched GMA for the chemistry of Sam Champion George Stepanopulous and Robin Roberts. Now that the chemistry is split I will be going to CBS….Lara Spencer is the one they should get rid of is whenever Robin’ not there she acts like she’s in charge….watch out Robin! Why isn’t there an AFRO AMERICAN on the GMA staff???

41. m.johnson says:

I never thought that Josh was a good fit on GMA. Did not appear to be a serious news anchor. He also appeared to be somewhat arrogant. Love that he loves his daughter, Selena so much, but I thought it inapproprate for him to make references to her in just about every segment that he was a part of. None of the other personalities who are also parents did this.

42. Stoney says:

Ginger Zee has a degree in meteorology. Sam Champion does not. His degree is in broadcast journalism. Who do you suppose knows more about weather.

43. Annie says:

I will be switching only watched for Sam, Josh and Robin.

44. Susan hamilton says:

Is anyone else sick of the endless cross promotion of ABC shows like Dancing With The Stars on Good Morning America? Enough!

45. Michelle says:

I agree, I really liked it when it was Sam and Josh and Lara, they made you laugh, the others are a bit boring. They do need another guy to take his place and Michael is GREAT!

46. Joe says:

I think it will help GMA. He didn’t bring nything positive to the show.
    Sam’s loss was bigger than this is.

47. Bertha says:

I really liked Josh Elliot, I will miss him. I’ll be back watching the TODAY show. I wish him all the best. I don’t think putting Michael Strahan can replace Josh, there is no comparison. He needs to stay with Kellie.

48. steven says:

Laura comes across as silly school girl,and Amy has attitude,I feel sorry for Robin and George .Michael is a good replacement for now,What’s going to happen when footballs season starts?Bye Bye GMA

49. Anita says:

Love Robin only watch it for her go on Josh good bye so what.

50. Linda says:

Sorry about all the changes on GMA but you lost me a long time ago when you lost Diane and then got rid of Chris. Now HE was the only one worth watching!! It was horrible when they brought in George because he has no personality whatsoever. It has never been the same so I wasn’t even watching when you added Lara, lost Sam to Ginger (?) and Josh. Chris is the only one of the former GMA programming staff that made me want to watch because he was such a cute and down to earth person!! Now I get my fix on him when I watch his Friday night shows. Bad move then and still is a bad move because I’ve moved to the Today Show or CBS Morning News, just depends on who they have on their shows. So tired of Robin and Mark…….

• Susan says:

GMA has gone to the dogs. Getting tired off peoples morals on this show. So shocked over Robin. Everyone doesn’t agree with their life styles and they shouldn’t use a network news show to promote their life style. It’s suppose to be news we need to know, not who is gay and what they want us to know about their life.. It is getting to be more entertainment than news. So long GMA. This last straw has broken this camels back..