ABC Confirms Wonderland's End -- But Are All Once Spin-Offs Now Off the Table?

Once Upon a Time in Wonderland Series Premiere RecapAlice’s journey down the rabbit hole is officially coming to an end as ABC has confirmed the cancellation of Once Upon a Time in Wonderland.

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

The April 3 episode, previously referred to as the season finale, is now being pegged as the final episode of the Once Upon a Time spin-off.

It’s important to note, however, that this “cancellation” only means there won’t be a second season of a spin-off set in Wonderland. A source tells TVLine this does not rule out the possibility of another Once spin-off set in another realm (e.g. Transylvania, Tattooine, Neverland, Arendelle), though there are no plans for one at this time.

Ostensibly, in success, Wonderland could have spun a new tale with some ongoing characters in Season 2, but Season 1 was always designed as a closed-ended story.

1. WTactualF says:

Once is a great show! Wonderland, not so much…

• Brian says:

Couldn’t disagree more. Wonderland has been far superior to the original this year. Alice is a good lead and supporting players Anastasia & The Knave are really complex. Meanwhile Once prime has become the Snow/Charming/Emma can do nothing wrong show. It’s pointless to watch knowing they are the only people smart enough to know anything and will guarantee to be related to every fairy tale ever.

• will says:

I agree! I loved Jafar and Anastasia as villains and I really appreciate the acting all around. The plots and stories for each character were rich and full of moral ambiguity and I really liked that about them. Even the addition of the Jabberwocky was a cool idea though I feel the actress and her appearance are flawed for the part. And really, as much as people complain about the effects, they really weren’t all that bad. In fact the only fault I have with the series is the casting and design choice of Jabber. Everything else was pretty on-point and I’ve enjoyed watching it thus far.

• Temperance says:

You’ve clearly not been watching OUAT… since you view of the Charmings isn’t remotely correct.

• Meh says:

So… Snow killing Cora, and her heart temporarily having a dark spot doesn’t count as wrong? Hmm. How about Emma always pushing people away because of her abandonment complex, or Snow/Emma always doing something that inadvertently hurts Regina? They can do wrong, though their reasons may seem like they’re justifiable, even if morally they can be wrong.

• I was always under the impression that ABC only intended to air this for one season, especially since the story arc will end with the season/series finale. If that’s the case, how can this be a cancellation?

• rowan77 says:

Close – the writers always intended for it to be an 8 episode mini-series and created the season arc accordingly. ABC saw the pilot presentation and got greedy, wanting it to be a full series – so they had to flesh out a season that was meant to have 8 episodes into a full 22 episode order. It was a mistake to stretch it so thin – even though the writers made a valiant effort. ABC even admitted they screwed up and should have stuck with the mini-series idea.

• CBWBDK1 says:

Everything you just said is wrong! It was intended to be a one season 13 episode story, however if it was succesfull there could have been more seasons. Every season would have had another story. The original plan was to air it in the OUAT winter hiatus.

2. Stamanah says:

Arendelle? Yes, please!

• wordsmith says:

I would love to see them fully embrace the Disney corporate synergy and have a OUAT cross over with Marvel and Star Wars. Thor already also established the concept of other realms, so would it really be that far fetched?

3. Nicole says:

Glad they aren’t jettisoning the idea completely. Still, I loved Wonderland and wish we could’ve gotten more adventures of Alice/Cyrus/Will/Ana.

ABC could do ‘Once in Agrahbah’ to finally do Aladdin and Jasmine and bring in some of the Wonderland characters if they wanted. Hey, if Jafar can crash Alice’s Wonderland, she can crash in on Agrahbah to help Aladdin and Jasmine defeat him once and for all (if he isn’t crushed in next week’s finale)

• kavyn says:

Agrahbah was what I was thinking as well, although in all honesty if there were characters from Once I DIDN’T want to see again (on the main show), it’s the genies and Jafar. I was mostly tuning in for Anastasia and the Knave.

4. powerturtle90sdudemon says:

Honestly I think that the OUATIW characters should be integrated into the mothership of season 4. It’s ABC’s fault for screwing the plan up

• the girl says:

Definitely the Knave, if no one else. Love him.

• Cass says:

THe Knave, Ana, and Jafar, please.

• Natyuki says:

Yuppp! AGREE! I am a saddened about this decision. I was watching the episode last night not knowing until today it was to be “cancelled.” I actually feel it’s finally getting really good. If anything, better have a great ending next week. And I would love for them to crossover if possible!

• Angela says:

Yea but isnt OUATIW in a different time? If you watch the 1st episode weren’t they wearing clothes from the past? Yes the knave had robbed the diner in episode 1 but the curse had been in place for 30 years…..

• Completely agree.The Knave has been an intriguing, smart, funny and so much fun to watch character right from the start.I would LOVE to see him on OUAT. Imagine the shenanigans he and Hook could get up to.

• Ram510 says:

Knave and Jafar would be great

• jules says:

oh, no no no no no. ouat is a mess as it is. it doesn’t need more characters. no way!

5. Jerry says:

I think Wonderland has run its course. I’ve started to lose interest the past few episodes.

That being said, if the Knave and Alice can come over to the mothership (and have more than background scenery roles) it would make me want to watch OOAT more (I haven’t watched the past two weeks yet, saved on the DVR).I love Michael Socha, and Alice seems to be the only woman in the OOAT universe who actually knows how to kick ass.

• Nicole says:

Agree on Alice. She can be a little bratty but she makes up for it for taking charge, kicking butt, and taking names. She’d actually be a pretty fierce right hand/Deputy to Emma Swan.

• Katherine215 says:

I love Alice, and most of the rest of the characters, too. I’m not surprised they’re not getting a second season, but I’d love to see Alice, the Knave, and Cyrus on the mothership. I’d enjoy a 13 episode season in another land next season, though not Neverland, we’ve had about enough of that this season. I like the idea for Agrahbah with Aladdin and Jasmine.
        Question – is Anastasia supposed to be one of Cinderella’s stepsisters? I didn’t make the connection until recently that one of the stepsisters in the movie was named Anastasia and she referenced an episode or so ago that her stepsister married the prince and her mother was unhappy. I’m probably way late to this realization but someone please confirm if true!

• taran63 says:

Yes, I was shocked when that episode aired, but she is one of Cinderella’s stepsisters. Which kind of explains why her mother was such a bitch to her and Will in that episode. Cinderella’s stepmother always is a horrible woman.

• Sora says:

That’s a good idea! :D

6. bluefairy says:

Since when is Transylvania a magical realm ?

• Khorrie says:

Probably because they co-opted Frankenstein to make the World Without Color, one assumes they’d be able to do the same with Dracula if they ever wanted to (and will probably screw it up as much as they did Frank).

• Temperance says:

It’s the black & white Gothic romance/horror world like Ravenloft…

7. Katherine215 says:

If we’re going to Tattooine, I hope we can make a stop in Rivendell along the way…

• Lia says:

Middle-Earth isn’t one of Disney lands.

• Katherine215 says:

Neither is Tatooine, it was a joke….

• Rainy says:

Well Disney owns Star Wars, so technically….

• Wakey says:

Tatooine is. DId you happen to miss the big news story around 18months ago when Disney Acquired Lucasfilm and the star wars francise

• Steve says:

Not only that but back in the first part of the season when Ana and Jafar decided to send the Bandersnatch after Alice and Will they were deciding which creature to use to dispatch Alice. One of their choices was the Sarlaac – a direct Star Wars reference, so it would not be impossible for any of them to end up on Tatooine.

8. Christina says:

I think they did themselves, and this show, a huge disservice by not sticking to the original plan of scheduling it during the winter hiatus.

9. V says:

Didn’t Once already do Neverland? Since Peter Pan is gone and the lost boys are back home how would that work out? On the other hand I loved their version of Pan! It would be cool to see him again somehow.

• abz says:

It would most likely be a stand-a-lone version of Neverland. They could do it during a time in Neverland in the past. Perhaps, exploring young Baelfire’s time there with Pan and Hook. It doesn’t have to be set after the events that happened on OUAT in 3A,

10. Is it possible these characters could possibly transfer to the mothership for an episode or two? I think they’ve had some amazing characters in Wonderland so far and would hate for them to not be seen again.

The show started off pretty good, but the few episodes after weren’t so fantastic. Towards the second half it really picked up. It’s a shame they didn’t air it during the Once hiatus. I think it would have done better there.

11. Tara says:

Too bad. I’ve really been enjoying Wonderland. It got really really good and I’m enjoying it so much more than OUAT. Maybe because there aren’t 38476258726 characters and they keep the focus on developing their main cast.

12. Amy says:

I really enjoyed Wonderland, but aside from the obvious (and admitted errors) of not using it as a season bridge for OUAT and airing it opposite a power house like ‘The Big Bang Theory’ As a lover of the literature and Disney versions on a show based in Wonderland a rich character like Mad Hatter was really missed (granted I get that Stan is super busy) plus so much of his character had been flushed out and and an intrigue created that I think it would have drawn more of the regular OUAT viewership..

I’d not be against them doing this again perhaps with OZ? Mader is fantastic, she’s been introduced on the show already…and other characters are coming with what looks like no permanent characters being added to OUAT? If they create enough of a mythology on OUAT for it, I think it could work. I do hope they don’t do Neverland though, I loved Kay but Neverland without Hook and Tink (If Izombie is a big go) just wouldn’t work for me.

• abz says:

Oh definitely after seeing Rebecca Mader in OUAT, I would love to see a Once Upon A Time in Oz. I think it would be great.

13. aisforaims says:

If they do plan on doing another “Once Upon A Time In…” series, then hopefully ABC airs that spin-off during OUAT’s hiatus in OUAT’s place instead of plopping it down on one of the hardest nights of the week as a lead-in to a series that isn’t anywhere close in terms of genre. It’s a shame the network didn’t go through with that original plan, because the second half of OUATIW has been pretty great. It’ll be sad seeing the show end next week. I wouldn’t mind seeing these four characters pop up someday on OUAT, especially since Will had lived in Storybrooke and also with the show heavily implying that Anastasia is/might be Cinderella’s step-sister. Those two characters and their actors absolutely are the breakouts of the series. The show was smart to give them more of the spotlight during the second half of the season. Whatever happens, here’s hoping Cyrus/Alice and Will/Ana get the happy endings they deserve.

14. abz says:

I really hope they don’t give up on these spin-off shows and that they learn from their mistakes and have them actually air during the OUAT hiatus.

15. Boiler says:

So Mr Lee totally screws this show and now they cancel it. I am really enjoying the characters and will miss them. Hopefully we will see them somewhere else! Terrible move even with the ratings

16. Liz says:

Hope this means OUAT will get a renewal. I didn’t care for Wonderland much, but I feel bad for fans who did. And I’ll check out any other OUAT spinoff they try again – more of Dr Whale’s world would be awesome.

17. Steve F. says:

Tatooine? UTINNI! (Makes sense, seeing how Disney has LucasFilm and all…)
    But, Arendelle? Much as I’d like to see a live action Elsa and Anna, I don’t see that happening…

• Zorkel says:

The OUAT creators have already said they’re planning to include the characters from Frozen in Season 4, along with Cruela De Vil.

18. Jacquelyn says:

Not really surprising, given the ratings. But the past few episodes of WL have been FANTASTIC. I think I might be enjoying it a bit more than I am ONCE right now. I like that it was one solid story.

19. Katy says:

I think where they messed up is making OUAT In Wonderland its own series, should have been a miniseries shown in between OUAT hiatus like originally slated.

• Ben says:

Indeed it should have. Mind you, in any event I like the idea of the ‘mini-series over the summer’ being an anthology series anyway. Having the next one, for instance, be Agrabah and still include Jafar and perhaps the possibility of a couple of other familiar characters cropping up would be fantastic, kind of the way American Horror Story works.
      Either way, I’m glad ABC saw the show throw, and didn’t simply yank it after 6 episodes.

20. david says:

While I don’t watch either show ABC has had a very difficult time programming the Thursday 8PM slot for a while. It’s so tough for any network to program against Big Bang. They have a new episode of Shark Tank airing in that slot in a couple of weeks so maybe that will do okay.

21. Elyse says:

It had so much potential. Such a shame it ended up sucking so bad.

22. DarkDefender says:

Bummer. I really liked this show. They should have come up with one great story to span 1 season (start to finish) in the AHS mold and each year explored a different tale. OZ could have been awesome material for the 2nd season .. As it seems forced and out of place on OUAT.

• Davey Elmer says:

“They should have come up with one great story to span 1 season (start to finish) in the AHS mold”.

That’s exactly what they did.

The only thing that would’ve been different from AHS is that the cast, characters, and setting wouldn’t have changed from year to year were it to have gotten future seasons.

• DarkDefender says:

They stretched the story out too long when they decided to run it in the regular season and not as just filler for the winter break of OUAT. It could have been a tighter story, is what I was saying.

• RichCD says:

I agree. The OZ plot has hit with a big thud, and the Once characters that used to seem brave and, dare I say it, ‘charming’, now just just come across like like a bunch of idiots. I wasn’t crazy about the Peter Pan arc, with the endless walking and talking on what looked like the jungle set from Gilligan’s Island, but at least it was watchable. The last two episodes have been painful.

23. legalchef says:

Yeah, last night on the previews they said “next time, on the series finale…” – but I thought it was a done deal that OUATiW was supposed to be one and done. I love the idea of going to other fairly tale worlds.

And to the poster above who asked if Ana was a stepsister… mind. blown.

24. Davey Elmer says:

This isn’t so much a cancellation as it is a ‘fulfillment of contract without extension’, given that the show was designed as a 13-episode ‘limited series’ with a self-contained beginning, middle, and end.

• Lia says:

Yep, but it seems that the industry calls everything that won’t be renewed a cancellation by default.

• Davey Elmer says:

Which is inaccurate and grossly misleading.

• Alex says:

The show was cancelled. Doesn’t matter if you try to put a cute little bow around it. Cancelled it was!

• Davey Elmer says:

If something is ended AS PLANNED, that thing is not cancelled. To cancel something means to stop it from happening. OUaTiW was not planned to be a multiple-season series; if it were to succeed, multiple seasons would happen – all with the same cast, characters, and setting but with different self-contained story arcs – but it was conceived of from the very beginning as a potential ‘one-off’ series with a single season.

So, no, the series was not cancelled. It simply ended as planned.

• DarkDefender says:

Except they changed the plan mid season.. And reworked it for a potential second season.. And. It didn’t work, so I’d say yes, cancelled.

25. EJ386 says:

I kinda liked it, although it wasn’t as good as the original Once. I just hope that Michael Socha gets to be on the mothership, he and the knave are awesome. Otherwise I hope he gets an other TV role soon!

26. tvtvtv says:

So disappointed! I never saw the original Once Upon a Time, but I thought Wonderland was super original and I really loved all the backstories of the characters. I must say I didn’t realize it was doing so bad, hence my shock that they announced a “Series” and not a “Season” finale. Too bad. Hope the actors pop up elsewhere! Never thought about Ana being related to Cinderella…clever!!

27. I haven’t watched ep. 12 yet, but I’m really hoping they don’t kill Jafar! I would love to see Agrabah for Once’s season 4 or 5.

And like others have said, I’d love to see Alice, the Knave, Rabbit and Cyrus for a few episodes on the original show.

28. Lia says:

I’ll repost something I read on Twitter recently: “If they ever decide to send Alice to the main show and she doesn’t solve the season’s mystery in an episode, I’ll call bs.”

Seriously, Alice’s wits outmatch Emma’s superpower by a million.
    I’m glad for Once Wonderland – it was a fun ride!

29. Mark says:

I’m not surprised, and I keep going back and forth on how much I liked the show. They’ve certainly ramped it up in the last few weeks.

I’m just thankful that ABC stuck with it long enough to give us the finale. I wasn’t sure we’d get to come back after Christmas at all. Thanks for rewarding the fans, ABC, but giving us the complete story.

30. Tee says:

I was SO excited about wonderland, watched the trailer multiple times over the summer, and I barely suffered through the pilot and I think tried to watch another 5 or 10 minutes of the second episode and gave up. Some of the writing was terrible, some of the acting was terrible.

I really do hope they try another spin-off.

31. A says:

I will miss Cyrus

32. nate says:

if they do decide to do another spin off can they at least put it during the winter break like they said they were gonna do in the first damn place

33. No word whether we’ll see any of the Wonderland characters on the main show at any point? I’m hopeful for that!

34. This sucks. I really hate how ABC always cancels good shows while keeping crap on. At least all of the episodes will air.

35. ronnie says:

haven’t watched it and never will. till a&e proof they can get their s* together on ouat I won’t watch any of their new toys

36. J. Norman says:

I never watched this show so I can’t comment about how good it is – or isn’t. I never had enough inclining to catch up oon it.

I do follow the “original” OUAT on line but rarely watch it live.

With that said, I don’t think ABC gave it much of a chance by putting it up against The Big Bang Theory. With that time slot, it was pretty much DOA.

• Alex says:

It was a high-profile show. ABC put Agents of Shield up against NCIS, and it got big premiere numbers before fading badly (the general consensus is that Shield kinda sucks, so no wonder the audience fled). Wonderful was much publicized prior to its premiere and had every chance to make a splash. BTW, Ugly Betty debuted against Survivor, Smallville, and The O.C., I believe, all pretty popular at that time, and its pilot did great. Just another example of a show that went up against tough competition and succeeded… because it was GOOD, unlike Wonderland.

37. Daniel Armour says:

It was said last year that this would be a one-and-done; and with the ratings not being very good, I’m not surprised it won’t be returning. In saying that, I found it to be more enjoyable than OUAT (which I still watch but seriously considered giving up on after the Neverland Arc). It has some of the same problems OUAT has – awful special effects, too much emphasis on “true love”, so-so fight choreography, etc. – but the characters have more dimension and the plot is FAR less convoluted. I’m not saying it was great TV but it was the rare spin-off that was superior to its mother show.

38. Tran 2.0 says:

FlashForward, My Generation, Charlie’s Angels, Missing, Last Resort, Zero Hour and now OUAT in Wonderland are all casualties of the dreaded 8 p.m. Thursday night time slot for ABC. :-(

• Daniel Armour says:

I also liked My Generation and I never did get to see all of Last Resort. I kind of liked FlashForward but I don’t think it would’ve gone anywhere great if it survived. Gave up on Charlie’s Angels after the pilot and never saw Zero Hour.

39. Isobel says:

The knave being on the mothership would be great, he knows granny and about Cora, and now Robin Hood is in Storeybrooke the knave could apologise for stealing the mirror. Ana could come too and leave Alice and Cyrus ruling Wonderland

40. Ram510 says:

No Transylvania please. And I’m in the fence with Neverland, I would like to keep that concept avail and for the original Once. But Hook is a popular character and could possibly be able to have a successful standalone 1 season spinoff

41. troll says:

No surprise, the show lacked???? Everything!

42. I hope they are gone. I hate when network gets a hit and then feels like they need to copy or spin off these shows repeatedly. I love Once, but was completely not interested in watching this one. I’ve never watched Law & Order or CSI specifically for that reason. I love a show that is different or paves the way, I hate all the copycats.

43. nate says:

Once started great and is turning into nothing more than mushy crap. Not to mention the poorly executed jump to the wicked witch “LAME.” Wonderland started badly, very badly but turned into a great show after the second half. Sad its over but im confident we will see some of the mains in the future. Abc dropped the ball on this one. Could have thrived in the off season and intertwined both casts into future lands.

44. Rosaria says:

I like the idea of doing a spin off of once upon a time for one season then start a new story for another season and keep it going there’s so much fairy tales to tell

45. Deann says:

I really wished they didn’t cancel this show. I love the characters and the plot was amazing. Very consise to the end however. My favorite character was Will of course and I’m happy Ana and him ended up together. I hope thier story can continue in OUAT. That would be awesome If the authors cold write them in as a new main characters!

46. morgan says:

Please don’t cancel it :( I have nothing else Alice in wonderland based to watch

47. jennifer says:

I love once upon a time in Wonderland as a matter of fact once upon a time with all your Disney characters is great I love it creative and new it seem like the ending for wonderland but was moving on to a new land with new characters don’t cancel this show

48. Jaysii Gibbons says:

I think OUATIW is a great show it doesn’t deserve to be cancelled 😢🔚 end is norpt deserved only just seen this though as I have been away in Florida but now im not happy😠

49. Meh says:

I enjoyed Wonderland. I was hoping to see the “You were late for tea” scene and other very key moments in the story and the Disney cartoon. But nooooo. I did have an issue with Disney choosing women with obviously altered lips. Anastasia’s lips really were distracting. Seriously, people shouldn’t touch their faces unless they were born deformed and feel they’d be better off, or if they need reconstructive surgery. Usually people look fine in the before, not the after.