Exclusive

Exclusive Friends With Better Lives First Look: Watch the CBS Comedy's Main Title Sequence

Good news: You don’t have to lose any more sleep wondering how you’ll tweet about Monday’s series premiere of Friends With Better Lives (CBS, 9/8c) because, as you’ll see in TVLine’s exclusive first look, the main title sequence comes equipped with suggested hashtags.

RELATED | Pilot Scoop: James Van Der Beek Is One of CBS’ Friends With Better Lives

For example, there’s #married Bobby (Kevin Connolly), #divorced Will (James Van Der Beek) and #veryverysingle Kate (Zoe Lister-Jones). She just sounds #veryverysad, to be honest.

Hit PLAY on the video below, then drop a comment with your thoughts on CBS’ new comedy. (Oh, and good luck getting the theme song out of your head.)

Loading video...

1. Jason Paul says:

Doesn’t look like a lot of ethnic diversity on this show. Seems odd.

• Bored Now! says:

As strange as it may seem, the real world does contain actual examples of groups of friends who are entirely of the same skin colour. It’s not a good thing, nor is it a bad thing. It is, however, a real thing.

Not everything in life needs to come down to skin colour or some other political point. But if it makes you feel better, the central cast of this show seems to have a better gender balance than How I Met Your Mother. How that show got away with having one less female lead, I’ll never understand…

• Yummy Sushi Pajamas says:

As strange as it may seem, the real world does contain actual examples of groups of friends who don’t have the same proportion of females to males. It’s not a good thing, nor is it a bad thing. It is. however, a real thing.

• Bored Now! says:

Okay, I think you may have missed the intended sarcasm there. And no way of deleting your comment to hide the fact you failed in your put down attempt either! Sucks to be you, right?

• S. says:

Sarcasm? You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

• Bored Now! says:

Hehe, questioning my understanding of the English language in a failed attempt to be humorous. That would be kinda funny, if it wasn’t so futile. But keep it up, if only to provide me with further entertainment at your expense.

• Fallon says:

Enough with the affirmative action. Since when has CBS been known for ethnic diversity? TBBT, HIMYM, Two & A Half men, NCIS, their top shows have token ethnicity at best.

• ggny says:

WAIT people other then old white males watch CBS? GTFO

• Babar says:

I don’t get people pointing out that a show doesn’t have diversity. Believe it or not, there are examples in real life where groups are not racially diverse.

2. ggny says:

I want to watch this show…I really do. But Kevin Connolly is just one actor that turns off of anything he does he is just so douchey i cant stand him

• N tTVf says:

You may be remembering him from ‘Unhappily Ever After’. When you get chance, check out an episode of ‘Entourage’, and see if you change your mind. I felt the exact same way you did – ‘Unhappily Ever After’ left a bad taste in my mouth, and I didn’t like him/Connolly (or anyone other than Nikki Cox) in that show.

And when Entourage first came out as an HBO series, I didn’t watch it initially – partly because of my attitude about Connolly in that role of ‘E’. I didn’t think he could do it – but I was wrong. But then one day, I saw Entourage at a friends house, and was simply blown away – not only by the show, but by ‘E’ and KC’s work in that role. That’s always a wonderful moment when one watches television – that surprise moment that you didn’t expect or see coming, that moment when you are completely blown away by a TV series – head spinning. Entourage did that for me – as did Lost.

The other characters on the show/Entourage are somewhat out of reach – they are there to provide the craziness in the storyline. But ‘E’ is the guy the viewer can relate to – he’s the guy who is the real ‘center’ of the show – not so much Ari or Vinnie. It is ‘E’ who is the core, and Connolly nails it.

If (a big IF) Connolly can bring that sense of ‘center’ to this new show (FWBL), the show might make it. But believe me, he’s the key – he’ll be the center – this show will rest on shoulders.

Check out Entourage. FWBL has a big cast, lots of options, but if the producers/writers are smart, they’ll put KC dead-center of the story.

• Zayne says:

LOL, you want him to watch Entourage as a counter to douchiness. Have you seen Entourage? It’s non-stop douchebaggery.

3. Robert says:

Lol, there is no diversity on this show but I guess in this day and age there are still groups of friends who are only comfortable in there own cultural environment.

• Fallon says:

Send a white guy into a bar in an A/A neighborhood on Chicago’s south side and ask the bartender “Where’s the diversity?” Somebody gonna open up a can of whupass. Let an A/A young man in a hoodie walk into a Pakistani grocery store and watch the reaction. Watch two Italian guys walk into an Irish bar in Boston. Same thing. Anyone who thinks people don’t naturally seek their own kind is naive in the extreme.

• looking for answers - not finding very many says:

^ This. It is true. Many times we all try to overlook some of the unpleasant truths in life [we have to in order to keep going], but those truths are there, just below the surface.

4. Alan says:

#pointlesshashtags #ihatehashtags #thatsjuststupid #stoptryingtoforcethingsletthemhappennaturally

5. JWB says:

I liked it better when it was called The Class.

6. Matt M. says:

I actually sort-of enjoy the opening, very neat, somewhat clever and ‘witty’ using the hashtags… especially with the ending title screen with “#FWBL: Friends With Better Lives.”

However… I do agree–not much diversity. Therefore just another FRIENDS retry.

7. kinda feels like the premise is a mash up of Friends and Rules of Engagement.

8. M says:

i’m surprised with all the diversity concerns, as a person of colour I see it as a non-issue and really the entertainment industry as a whole isn’t known for being incredibly diverse

9. kate'shomesick says:

I’m just so happy for Majandra Delfino…she deserves everything…Does anyone know what happened to “The night shift”…as a diehard Roswell fan I would love to see that one succeed…

10. Tran 2.0 says:

FWBL = EPIC FAIL :-(

11. Et al says:

This show looks awful. Vanderbeek was hilarious on Apt.
    23. He deserves better.

12. AJ says:

TMWP Too Many White People BORING

• Fallon says:

Watch BET. The US population is 13% African American. So, on a show with 10 permanent cast members, one A/A is the right ratio.

13. chris says:

I’m glad when shows actually have a title sequence, it’s a lost art…

14. Television Scout says:

You know what I worry about regarding this show ? That perhaps it is trying a bit too hard to be hip/young – “hey everyone, WTF, LOL a bit, tweet about us, ‘like’ us on Facebook … we’re cool, just like you”. Whatever happened to the ‘story’, the writing, the ‘storyline’? That is what will make or break this show.

CBS is not the CW. CW can somehow survive by counting “#”s and ‘likes’, regardless of how bad the ratings and demo are for their shows. CBS can’t do that. They need to produce ‘the numbers’. The bigger question regarding whether FWBL can make it or not to Fall’14, is how well 2 Broke Girls does in the 8pm slot. HIMYM has anchored this night/Monday for almost a decade, and done it well – for whatever reason: NPL, CS, the story of the gang, all of the above, who knows. But it worked. Can 2 Broke do that? If not, it could be a disaster for the other shows (including/especially FWBL) that follow it on Monday nights.

Watch the numbers [not the hashtags or ‘likes’]. If FWBL can produce a better demo number than 2 Broke Girls each week in April/May, look out. Changes coming for CBS on Monday night this fall. Big changes…. CBS will have no choice.

15. Patrick says:

I can’t watch this one. It represents a clear violation of my Brooklyn Decker embargo.

16. Tee says:

Hmmm all I got out of that sequence was: hashtag fail

17. Blair says:

watching just for Majandra Delfino & James Van der Beek … WB throwback!

18. Delorean5 says:

Does anyone know the name of the song on episode 3 when they were playing tennis against the two bosses?

19. mc says: