Vampire Diaries Recap: Meet Your Markos

vampire-diaries-517-blogThe hunt for Stefan’s last remaining doppelganger hit a slight snag in Thursday’s The Vampire Diaries, thanks largely to Caroline’s heart of gold — and perhaps her soft spot for a certain Salvatore.

RELATED | Vampire Diaries @ PaleyFest: ‘Hope For Stelena,’ Katherine’s Possible Return and More Scoop

Caroline was fully prepared to let kind-hearted Tom live happily ever after, but Enzo — for the first time in forever — served as the voice of reason, snapping poor Tommy Boy’s neck and leaving him for dead in a parking lot.

Operation: Murk Tom ended with Caroline and Stefan cuddling in a minivan, only to be interrupted by one of the most disturbing TVD moments in recent memory: the Travelers performed a mass suicide, sending dozens of them to the other side, allowing for the emergence of their leader Markos. And by “emergence,” I mean he literally walked out of Bonnie’s shadow, which looked very uncomfortable — even if it was also really, really cool.

WITCHES BE CRAZY | It turns out Luke and Liv are part of a group of witches that were determined to protect Tom from the Travelers, which is why I was pretty surprised when Liv tried to kill Elena, the last remaining female doppelganger. Fortunately, Jeremy stepped in with a Plan C, ensuring that his sister will live a long and happy afterlife.

DELENA DRAMA | The pre-existing awkwardness of Damon and Elena’s new relationship status was compounded by a super-uncomfortable meeting with Jeremy’s teacher. (Yes, Damon and Elena are considered Jer-Bear’s primary guardians, which explains every single one of his disciplinary problems.) So is it any wonder why Jeremy decided to exit Chez Salvatore and move in with Matt and Tyler? … In other news, how much is real estate in Mystic Falls? Because I’d love to live next door to that trio.

CAROLENZO | It’s official: The only person shipping Caroline and Enzo… is Enzo, himself. Damon’s long-time bestie spent much of the hour relentlessly creeping on Ms. Forbes, and it was not cute. There was a brief moment during Enzo’s pep talk about war and survival that had me thinking he might be a good match for Caroline, but then it became abundantly clear that Steroline is the new ship of choice. Not only did she get awfully flirty with Tom, but her pre-spooning chat with Stefan was also pretty adorable.

BAD NEWS FOR BEREMY | Speaking of ships, Bonnie and Jeremy could potentially be on the rocks. She expressed concern about Jeremy’s newfound “friendship” with Liv, and her fears were confirmed when Jeremy literally laid down his life for her during a confrontation with Damon. Normally, I’d say Jeremy is too noble to cheat on Bonnie, but I haven’t forgotten about that time he gave into his ghost lust with Anna. (In other news, I never thought I’d type out the phrase “ghost lust,” but there you have it.)

Vampire Diaries fans, what’s your take on this week’s mind-bending episode? Were you hoping for a Stefan-Caroline kiss? And can Liv and Luke really be trusted? Browse pics from the episode below, then drop a comment with your thoughts and theories:

_

1. Riana says:

I want Jeremy and Liv together because anyone is better for him than Bonnie.

• Andy Swift says:

Anyone? Be careful what you wish for.

• alistaircrane says:

I want Jeremy with Tyler. Seriously. They have more chemistry together than they do with any of their female love interests.

• troll says:

That doesn’t make any sense. Bonnie is not a Whore like the other girls on the show, she’s not out there trying to make everyone else’s lives miserable and she’s the most honest person in that little group, but yet she’s not better for Jeremy??? Some people just can’t get pass their jealousy of woc with white guys.

• sane says:

Dead on right. Exactly my thought. People need to get over this by now. To be honest bonnie is too good to be with young jeremy. She deserves a better man

• carla says:

no bonnie is better for jermey because she was predending to learn magic so bonnie is better

2. nate says:

DID U ALL HEAR THAT STEFAN & ELENA ARE THE LAST DOPPELGANGERS!!!!!!! NOW U CAN ALL STOP COMPLAINING LIKE LITTLE BIOTCHES -____-

3. Lucy says:

My body is READY for some Steroline !!

4. Baileigh says:

All the Petrova doppelgangers are related is the same true for Stefan’s doppelgangers?

• Andy Swift says:

I’m not sure, but have fun drawing up THAT family tree.

• SouthernBelle says:

How do we know Elena’s the last Petrova doppleganger? Because the travelers said that (or inferred that, I can’t remember) last week? We thought Stefan was the last doppelganger until this random Tom guy got thrown into the mix last week.

• nate says:

yea ‘we’ thought as in the viewers

• cyndi says:

What I don’t understand is that the dopplegangers are supposedly drawn together and meant to be because of the Questsiah thing. If Stefan and Kathernine were the dopplegangers drawn together, then how can Stefan and Elena still be meant for each other. Wouldn’t her fated doppleganger have been Tom? How does that all work?

5. mara says:

awesome episode! I loved Caroline so much in this and the Steroline friendship is EVERYTHING! I beg the writers to not turn it into romance because we all know how it will end: it will be only about Elena

• Daniel says:

Agree! Caroline deserve more then being in a relationship with stefan who will always love Elena and do anything for her. I mean are we really to believe that the love triangle will stop after steroline happens? nope, it most likely will end with the last episode of the series. and my bet is that this show will go beyond S6 (its the CW’s money cow after all) so when Steroline breaks up (the will 100%) it will leave only destroyed relationships for caroline and she really doesn’t deserve it

• Andy Swift says:

Ah, but remember what Liv said? Everything really is about Elena. ;)

• 80s says:

This is my problem with Steroline. It’s doomed. Elena is going to be horrible about it, and it’s just going to make everyone dislike her more. On top of that, Stefan would always chose Elena over Caroline, and Caroline does not deserve that.

But god, they look so cute together. I’m conflicted.

• phuong says:

I agree with you I want it to happen but also don’t because of the whole Elena thing I want the triangle to end. Caroline would be so good for Stefan they have such a good friendship that can turn to a great relationship but he needs to be thoroughly over her.

• Hmm says:

Why would Elena be horrible about it? I don’t think she’s really in love with him anymore. Besides, she has enough on her plate with Damon. And even if she was “horrible” about it, wouldn’t she have that right? It’s the golden girl rule: you don’t date your best friend’s serious exes. I would NEVER do that to my best friend, regardless of whether or not she was over her ex.

• SouthernBelle says:

Except that Damon is Caroline’s ex and Matt is Elena’s ex. Based on precedent I think there shouldn’t be a problem with it except that it’s Stefan, forever trapped in the triangle.

• Hmm says:

Hence the reason I said “serious”. I don’t consider Damon/Caroline a “serious” relationship, nor do I consider Matt/Elena a “serious” relationship. I classify a serious relationship as two people being in love with the other. Don’t think either pairings above were.

• SouthernBelle says:

Gotcha. That makes sense.

• Rsage says:

If that rule is to be applied, then don’t you think dating your ex’s BROTHER would fall into that forbidden category?

6. sara says:

are the writers just going to completely ignore the fact that last season caroline killed 12 witches to save bonnie….

• Lynyrd says:

I imagine it’s a little different when the person you’re about to kill wears your best friend’s face. And when the murder is planned. The witches were spur of the moment. Caroline saw no other option, and killed them on impulse. With Tom, she had a lot more time to psyche herself out.

• sara says:

still though, you would think in a very similar situation, something about the witches would be mentioned. seems odd to not mention it at all.

7. Dee says:

Steroline are just the cutest. More of them please!

8. Jared says:

I really liked the episode, but I know the show is off for two weeks and they wanted to leave us with a little cliffhanger. Yet I feel like the writers cannot successfully do that with Bonnie. They have messed around and faked us out with her possible death since season 2 when Klaus was in Alaric’s body and then again last May, and now tonight. A truly significant character (I don’t count Katherine because she was only used as plot device) hasn’t died since Jenna in season 2. Death doesn’t seem to stick with TVD, and therefore most of us are desensitized to it on the show.

• Andy Swift says:

Were we supposed to think Bonnie is dead? I didn’t get that. But she definitely appears incapacitated for the moment.

• aw says:

— Alaric’s death was faked around quite a bit, yes, but him dying stuck… And it was quite significant.
      Did Bonnie look done to anyone? I hear “the other side” will be destroyed. Her being th anchor means she will vanish. Right?

9. Robert says:

I really want to see a episode where a Witch make Damon tremble in absolute fear. I get confuse, about the Witches powers.I have seen Witches on the show use telekinesis without spell casting but one moment Liv needed to say the spell but when she tossed Elena she did not use a verbal spell; sometimes I think the writers are tired of writing for Witches, since their mythology and powers become confusing The writers would probably be happy if the Witches did not exist on the show.

• Andy Swift says:

The only thing I’m confused about, witch-wise, is the difference between regular witches and Travelers. They supposedly hate witches because they draw their power from the earth… but where do Travelers draw THEIR power from?

10. Delena says:

I think this episode was really good but Caroline put Stefan’s life at risk by not killing the other Stefan I mean I know it was hard for her but if they found out that he was still alive who knows what they would have done to Stefan. It was a hard sacrifice she should have let Enzo do it in the first place it would have been plain and simple. I know it was hard for her but still she put Stefan’s life at risk she should have thought of that if she didn’t. I can’t wait to see more of this season so far I’ve been liking it a lot.

11. imo says:

please, leave Elena with Damon, they deserve each other, and the break up/don’t break up is all very boring now.
    Stefan and Caroline would be great IF the writers made them a serious relationship and Stefan didn’t always want Elena – boring now. So, if it means use Caroline as a pawn without a great story and longevity, then forget it. Leave them as friends, they are great friends. And the love triangle, it’s stale, but that is the premise of the show. too bad the writers can’t make it interesting anymore.

12. Danielle says:

Julie Plec has absolutely no idea what she’s doing anymore, does she?

• nate says:

why do people just automatically blame Julie?!?!? there are plenty of other writers people!!!

• Sasha says:

She’s the show runner, meaning she makse the decisions.

• Anjali says:

I’m pretty sure Caroline Dries is a show runner too now since JP has other shows to run. So lets divvy this blame out equally. Notice Dries has been doing quite a few of the TVD interviews too.

13. Michelle p says:

Damon treasure trail nuff said. No more doppelganger Tom was elena’s Stefano was Katherine’s bonnie needs a story

• Lana says:

Omfg, I thought I was the only one who noticed that!!! His happy trail was to die for… I could eat that man whole…Mmmmmm I CANNOT understand how Elena had the balls(vagina) to leave that bed and THAT man…ufffff. Bonnie needs to die for real now. She’s become totally useless, and I say this with all the love in the world as I used to love her character. Liv, sorry Jer she will be gone in the next episode. Caroline and Stefan, please get a room and consummate. That!

14. Babybop says:

Wait… I’m confused… Why do the travelers need Elena and Stefan to be the final doppelgangers?

• tigersmurfette says:

they needed that so their blood(which they drained episodes ago, but nobody in the mf gang thought that was a big deal) would be “special” enough for them to drink, kill themselves, bombard bonnie so that markos could come through her shadow.

15. 80s says:

I’ve been against Steroline before Steroline was a thing, but…. I have to admit, they are very cute for each other. But who wants healthy relationships on TVD?? :P

16. ChipHazard says:

I don’t really watching this show, i mean, I download it, and turn off the sound and after that fast forward the whole episode see if there is any good shoot from the hot chicks, aka Nina, Kat or Candice, the only good part was Candice Accola in skintight leather pant, too bad there was not any ass shot of her in those pants,I realy hope that Candice or Kate enough brave to leave this poisen show, and Nina to , she should leave this as fast as she can, if she wants any carries in the business

17. Rosie says:

The Elena and Damon on and off again has definitely gotten boring! Those two have great chemistry and the writers need to keep them together for the meantime. Please no Stefan and Caroline. I love them as best friends. They have a very cute brother and sister relationship and it will ruin their friendship if they hook up. We all ultimately know that somehow in the end Elena will end up with Stefan. Side note: I guess we met Marcos tonight. Just remember when Katherine died a scary shadow took her away. Obviously it was Marcos who was that scary shadow. Can’t wait to find out what Marcos and these travelers have up their sleeves!

• nate says:

Ah yea I didn’t think about it being Markos that took Kat

• sls says:

That’s interesting about Katherine being taken by the dark shadow. That could be a coincidence though. It would be cooler if it wasn’t. We will see.

• Lana says:

Shut up!!! Stefan and Elena together again…ZZZZZZZZZZZ. Are you freaking kidding me? I love Stefan and I don’t want him to have to put up with Elena anymore. She’s been shagging his brother for the last few months, so I think it’s time for Stefan to move on…please give that poor man some dignity! I don’t want him to become a dish rag, for freak’s sake! I want Stefan happy, but with somebody else. That Stelena ship sailed LONG ago and I don’t want it back…neither should you, if you like Stefan, that is…Let Elena deal with Damon and their relationship. Find Stefan somebody else (not Caroline either, Puhhleazze)

18. Anna says:

Damon, Matt, Tyler, Klaus and now Stefan? Is Caroline, the village bicycle or an avatar of Kelly Taylor? Caroline’s beautiful, smart, intuitive, sensitive and excels at being a vampire. I’m quite sure she can handle being single until the rest of the season and above all NEVER EVER date her BFF.

• Anna says:

Oh, I also forgot to mention: “Who in their right mind would like Care to get Elena’s sloppy seconds…AGAIN?” Some people seem to forget that a girl and a boy can be friends without wanting to jump each other’s bones. Stop pushing for Steroline to happen, it’ll just ruin Caroline.

• sls says:

I’m more worried that they will put Stefan and Caroline together and when that fails, as of course it would because of triangle drama, etc., then the writers will put Stefan and Elena back together and, just to go full circle, they will put Caroline back together with Damon.
        Can you imagine.
        I mean it’s the most absurd relationship possible probably but that is why no one would see it coming. Ugg Please don’t let that happen.

19. Anjali says:

I thought the ep was decent. Still not making me exceptionally excited for the next episode like Seasons 1-3 but intrigued enough to see where the Markos storyline is going.
    I think Delena have great chemistry, I felt like I was sizzling when Damon gave that locker speech but the rollercoaster has gotten a bit old. I think it would be interesting for Damon to get a new love interest who challenges him in a different way.
    I do like Steroline but at the same time, I like seeing a strictly platonic friendship between a boy and girl. Kind of like Lavon and Zoe on Hart of Dixie. I would also quite like to see what happens if Caroline goes dark and switches off her humanity.
    I have thought they should have let Bonnie stay dead several times. Here’s hoping this season finale will do the trick! Her character often feels like they try to wedge her in and find stuff for her to do.
    This comment section seems a lot more constructive than all the complaining and bashing on the EW boards. Esp the hate directed toward Julie Plec; as if she is the only writer on the show. No one talks about Caroline Dries and I would argue with The Originals and The Tomorrow People, JP has been very busy and Dries is leading this season.

20. hovafella says:

Daroline

21. hovafella says:

We should have Daroline and(temporarily) mattena

22. janet says:

Regardless of how you feel about Damon and Elena doesn’t it seem odd that Stefan is being held prisoner and tortured by travelers and they don’t care? They’re not even checking in to see what’s going on? Stefan is only there because he saved the two of them. It just doesn’t seem like something like that would have happened in the early seasons, there was a group mentality that i guess is gone.

• Lana says:

Of course they don’t care, they are living in their own world, which I might add, they should stay in. Please find Stefan somebody who can love him (him only) and that he can love with all he has. I think Stefan is a lovely character that has only received the end of the stick (regardless of that freaking “it will always be Stefan”) bull crap! Elena couldn’t forget him any faster than she did :O
      Damon and Elena belong together. No question about that. Stefan needs somebody better….arrgggg

23. prissy says:

Doesn’t anyone want Klaus to come back & sweep Caroline off her feet? Stefan is too attached to Elena to ever give Caroline a shot. I don’t know who Stefan should be with, but Elena should definitely stay with Damon!!!! Who wouldn’t?

24. Chantall says:

Ok noooooo! Steroline! Thats bad not everu guy and girl needs to hook up on this show…thats gonna make caroline look like a slut bag im still rooting for klaroline cross over episodes stefan is decent he deservs someone who hasnt slept with any of his friends of damon a new fresh face!

• Tara says:

The only way Caroline could look like a slut bag is if she went back to being who she was before she became a vampire……….this Caroline could never be a slut bag no matter who or how many guys she slept with.

25. carla says:

i want delena togther they make the show so interesting

26. carla says:

ya stefan and caroline are meant to be
    i feel bad for caroline and stefan because they are not dating but don’t talk yet wait for next ep

27. osho janet says:

I want Tyler back but I prefer Stephan and Caroline to go out together I can’t wait to see his face

28. Bhanu says:

Would stefan n elena be back together
    They have been awesome together in previous seasons

29. Chantall says:

Im i the only one that thinks stefan deservs better than the girls on the show? I mean really