American Idol Top 9 Results Recap: 30 Rocks!

MB1_6098But wait, I barely had time to finish my glass of sauv blanc!

Yes, folks, American Idol cut its results-show telecast to 30 minutes, but fret not. Even in a leaner, meaner format, we still had time for Harry Connick Jr. to brutally interrupt the Homespun Wisdom of Our Lady of Lopez, the Top 9 contestants to offer meaningless (and probably producer-directed) chit-chat over Wednesday-night dinner and Randy Jackson to throw a threadbare cliché (“the cream is starting to rise to the top!”) into his 17 seconds of screentime. (Spoiler alert: That’s still too much!)

Janelle Monae — an artist I love, it’s worth noting — was shoehorned into the half hour to perform a so-so song from the conspicuously placed sponsor, Rio 2. And yet Idol grads like Elise Testone, Aloha Mi’Sho, Melinda Doolittle, Matt Giraud, Kris Allen, Adam Lambert and Kellie Pickler have yet to strut their stuff on the results-show stage this season.

[Insert irked side-eye here.]

Let’s get to the results, shall we?

Sent to Safety (in No Particular Order)
Jena Irene
Malaya Watson
Alex Preston
Jessica Meuse
Caleb Johnson
Dexter Roberts

Bottom 3 Vote-Getters
C.J. Harris
Majesty Rose
Sam Woolf

Lowest Vote-Getter
Majesty Rose

“Save-Me Song”
Majesty delivered a slightly unhinged, very wobbly rendition of “Happy” that landed somewhere on the intersection of I Don’t Belong Here! and I’ve Got to Get Out of This Place! The performance itself didn’t warrant a save, but I kinda wanted the judges to use it anyhow, considering Majesty — even in her lowest moments — is more interesting than C.J., Dexter, and Sam (all of whom have fallen into tiresome, predictable and not terribly satisfying patterns over the last few weeks).

But nope, despite what Keith called “the hardest deliberation” at the judges’ table this season, the vote was not unanimous, and Majesty was sent packing.

The woman should’ve sung “Fast Car” when she had the chance!

And with that, I turn it over to you…

What did you think of Season 13 Top 9 results night? Did the right contestant get the boot? If not, who should’ve been cut? And how did you feel sabout Janelle Monae in the performance slot instead of an Idol graduate? Sound off in the comments!

1. Honey Barlett says:

America, get rid of Jessica and Alex, the weirdos from 2014. They should get married and be voted America’s most ugliest and untalented couple ever! They both are going nowhere! I would rather listen to Alvin and the Chipmunks!

• tealeaves says:

Jessica, Alex, and Caleb are the only 3 that have never been in the bottom this season. It is not too surprising. They are all excellent singers who know what kinds of songs work for them and who have had some of the top performances.

• Fallon says:

Do you realize you’re responding to a troll? HB and Jim Welker [IMO the same person using different names ] are just posting BS to generate hits and get a response. Do not respond to those posts.

• Honey Barlett says:

You are out if your frigging mind! I realize I copy some things he says but we ARE NOT the same person. It is hard enough to text for me as it is; 2 times, That is ridiculous! Plus, Jim constantly makes mistakes on his texts. So, don’t say stupid things like this. You are officially CRAZY.

• Honey Barlett says:

PALEEEEESSEE!

2. Sullenboi says:

Majesty can be a film star instead. She seems clueless for whom she wants to be artistewise

• Fallon says:

Having read several of her exit interviews, I’m not sure she’s mentally stable enough to be anything. Shop around and read some of her statements. Totally out of touch with reality.

• Terry says:

She does seem OTT delusional. But to be fair, most idols and idolettes come off the show with really big heads, thinking they are superstars and that they’ve already made it. Reality then rears it’s ugly head and smacks them and their over-inflated egos back down to earth. The days of idol finding stars like Kelly and Carrie are long past but these delusional kids keep thinking they’re going to be the next one. I feel bad for them because I think coming from idol is a hindrance to having a successful music career. Unless of course you get your song played ad nauseum during the Olympics.

3. Honey Barlett says:

Announcement; I am not Jim Welker. I emulate him sometimes but I am my own person! Just because we share views on a lot of these horrible singers, doesn’t make us the same person. I don’t have any reason to play games. Life is too short for such childish actions.

• Jaszy says:

Then why do you post on here your complete hatred and disgust for a human being such as Jessica? Wouldn’t you call that childish?

• Stormy says:

Thank you Jaszy. The comments by HB and JW have the same nasty little kid vibe. There’s way too much hate expressed in them to be from a mature adult.

• Honey Barlett says:

I am not angry. I only speak the truth! I don’t HATE anyone. My opinions. This year stinks and that is the truth.

4. Honey Barlett says:

There are lots of Idol winners as well as famous artists who I feel stink. I ‘m not gonna mention but one. There’s an idol winner who sounds like a screeching high pitched BABY and I have never understood how the public is brainwashed, thinking she is Fantastic (HINT, HINT). Haley Reinhart was only OK to me. I don’t understand how a woman who GROWLS is attractive. It sounds very unprofessional to me to hear a singer, especially female growl! She was alright but this superstar status she receives is absurd. The way she emphasized the S on Benny And The Jets (SSSSSSS) sounded terrible. What’s to like? Anyway, that’s my opinion. And, could Britney Spears ever sing? She once, when she was a judge sang happy birthday for a few seconds and it was HORRIBLE! Who can’t sing happy birthday? As far as Majesty goes, she sang a song that had highs that were long that she had to hold. She couldn’t perform the highs, she was awful. So, instead of Randy keeping her from singing songs with highs, she kept singing them! She needed to sing songs she was able to sing, not what she had been singing last few weeks. Blame Randy folks for being a terrible mentor! When she sang the save song, that was the same song she sang so well, and that was the last time she was very good (may have been Rush Week). Love the 30 minute results format. Wish performance shows were 60 minutes.

• Jaszy says:

Whoever you are, you are just an angry person aren’t you? You can say nothing nice about anybody. Haven’t you heard that little saying, “If you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all”? Seriously, have you nothing better to do than to troll as if you’re really contributing something? Are you just jealous that their lives are more interesting than yours right now?
      Even still, perhaps the joke’s on all of the people who respond to these stupid comments, including me. Maybe you don’t really mean what you say, but you want a rise out of us so you say it. If that’s the case, then you are winning. But what will that winning offer you in the long run except a false sense of power?
      I know many posters on here say that we shouldn’t feed the trolls ( I even said it once) but since Jim Welker never responds back but you do, I wanted to say something.

• Honey Barlett says:

Look, I am entitled to my opinions on this show. I guess you can’t Handle the truth. Don’t take it so seriously. It is only a TV show. I think this year is a joke and if you don’t agree, I’m sorry. But let’s face it, If these singers are the best of thousands of auditioners, something is wrong. They are second rate AT BEST. I’m sorry if I offend some people, I really am. I feel this season is like a comedy show. Look at Alex; he always looks like he’s sniffing something and needs a toilet fast. Jessica sounds terrible and looks worse. These are my opinions they really are. If I had something good to say I would. I liked Harry in the beginning; Lived Him! But having these Clowns going this far shows none of the judges are worth a darn. I will give kudos toJlo though; she is improving as a judge and doesn’t always say YES to everyone ( give a favorable review, I meant). I call it like I see it so please don’t be offended.

• Honey Barlett says:

Read your comments about me again and you said I want HITS and POWER. That is funny.I don’t need replies to me and or hits.So comical you are. Join the contestants; THE COMEDIANS OF AI! Trust me, I know about music, more than you could ever dream I’d know! But, I can’t get into that. As far as the show, they may not use the save again this year which is stupid. Majesty should have been saved as they certainly won’t save the next people to go (we all know who they are). If up to me, Jessica and Alex would go next without a save. After Idol they’ll both be joining the circus, so they make it either way after Idol!Those 2 had to have great mothers, looking at those faces all these years, SHEESH, SHEESH..

• Honey Barlett says:

Read your comments about me again and you said I want HITS and POWER. That is funny.I don’t need replies to me and or hits.So comical you are. Join the contestants; THE COMEDIANS OF AI! Trust me, I know about music, more than you could ever dream I’d know! But, I can’t get into that. As far as the show, they certainly won’t save the next people to go (we know who they are). If up to me, Jessica and Alexwould go next without a save..

5. Honey Barlett says:

My point above was Majesty should have been saved as now probably NO save will be implemented.

6. Amy says:

****TVLINE Admins***** Can’t you make it so when you post and the screen refreshes, it goes back to where you last were?? It’s too frustrating to post and then have to scroll down to find your place each time. ..especially on a thread like Idol, that gets over 400 comments! Please?