Psych Series Finale Recap: Shawn's Big Move, Dobson's Reveal and More Key Moments

Psych Series FinaleAfter perfecting the art of deception and tomfoolery over the past eight years, Shawn was finally forced to confront the truth in Psych‘s series finale — and it was a complete disaster.

RELATED | Psych Out: USA Network Staple to Conclude in March After 8 Seasons, With Answer-Filled Finale

It took him 30+ minutes and an entire murder investigation to finally muster up the courage to tell Gus he was moving to San Francisco with Juliet, and even then, he couldn’t do it in person. He broke the news in the form of a DVD recording, which is pretty much the friendship equivalent of breaking up with someone in a text message.

Angry and confused, Gus — after changing his mind 12 times, stealing a driver’s ed car and getting maced by a sexy co-worker (We Bought a Zoo was wrong!) — followed Shawn to San Francisco, ensuring that both their friendship and their sleuth-ship will continue on forever and ever.

Here were a few key moments we got Psych‘d about during the finale:

* Shawn’s proposal to Juliet was a total tearjerker, even if she technically said yes to Gus first. And even though a burglar snatched the ring before Jules actually got a chance to put it on. Other than that, perfect.

* The identity of the oft-mention Dobson was finally revealed, and he turned out to be… Val Kilmer?! I appreciated that.

* Shawn’s message for Lassiter included the truth about his fake psychic abilities, but Lassiter stopped the DVD — and destroyed it — before he heard that part. I guess it didn’t matter, after all.

* After refusing his dad’s help for basically forever, Shawn finally caved and called his dad for help. (Take that, Billy Zane!

What did you think of the Psych series finale? Browse photos from the episode and rate it below, then drop a comment with your full review — and your fondest Shawn/Gus memories.

_

_

1. Allison says:

Dobson was Val Kilmer, not Slater.

2. Mare says:

CAN WE JUST TALK ABOUT THE MONK REFERENCE and the VAL KILMER CAMEO AND THE POSSIBLE CROSSOVER MOVIE BETWEEN MONK AND PSYCH THAT USA NEEDS TO DO?!?!?!

• chloe says:

if tony shalhoub walked around that corner, i would’ve died! and i badly wanted emilio estevez as dobson but hey val kilmer, i’ll take it.

• Phil says:

When Chief Vick said they had a guy and he was alphabetizing the pantry I started screaming “IT’S MONK! IT’S MONK!” Then I was slightly disappointed they didn’t cut to him in the kitchen. If USA would be able to do a Monk/Psych movie… That would just be the best thing ever!

• Shawnna says:

Seriously, me too! I was gripping my seat thinking he was going to come around the corner with his rubber gloves on. Haaa!! That would have taken the finale to another stratosphere!

• Brian says:

Agreed! With all the cameo’s through the years that Psych has pulled off, where was Tony Shalhoub when you needed him!!!!!!!!!!! Oh how perfect that would have been. The ultimate mash-up. Monk and Psych are my two favorite shows ever. Go Dobson and the real Bud!

• Lisa says:

I LOVE that idea. That would be awesome. Both of them should live on in occasional movies, and together, would be awesomely hilarious. They would play off each other soooooooo well.

• Phil says:

And for part of the movie Gus is busy somewhere so Shawn and Monk have to go talk to a witness and Shawn introduces his partner “Muchas Phobias” and then Monk just looks at him and does his shrug/head roll.

• Erica says:

I was totally thinking the same thing after that refernce and that Shawn & Gus are now in San Fran!

3. Meg says:

Let’s also mention that Gus’s boss at his new job was played by the actor who actually played Bud on The Cosby Show.

4. Larry says:

One of the best series finales ever, could not ask for anything better. The Shules engagement, Gus moving to SF, and Lassiter refusing to find out the truth about Shawn; even Buzz became a detective. Even the ending was great so Psych. I will miss this series.

5. Sarah says:

Best part of the episode for me was McNabb getting the junior detective job. Buzz has always been my favorite so the episode could have ended there and I would have been thrilled.

6. kate says:

This finale was absolutely everything. A complete love letter to the fans. A+++++.

7. Sam says:

Anybody know if the after show will be online later?

8. Eliza says:

Perfect ending. I did tear up. Shawn & Gus belong together….forever and ever! So happy that’s the way it ended. Enjoyed this show from beginning to end. Will miss them terribly.

• Patrick says:

This is what most shows screw up in their finales. They try to “wrap up” the series. What fans want is to believe that the characters are still having adventures, only we aren’t seeing them. Give the fans that, and they will be happy.

9. prish says:

I haven’t seen it yet, but glancing over the comments I picked up on the Lassiter thing. As a writer, it seems to me it would be a clue that Lassiter knew, but didn’t want to officially know. After all, he was a master detective that had solved 100 murders during that one season’s break (forget which one). That was a cool piece of writing, the DVD thing, and I’ll look forward to seeing it, tonight, when showing on the West Coast.

10. Ashlyn says:

Love that the real Bud from The Cosby Show finally made an appearance. Wonderful ending. The ring getting snatched was hilarious.

11. DeVant'e Flint says:

Steve Franks continue Psych in comic book form!!! PLEEAASSEE

12. Anna says:

Awesome and fun, hilarious and even sad at times. But ultimately very satisfying and clever and entertaining.
    ‘Breaking Dad’ shout out was a favorite of mine. Loved Billy Zane and Mira Sorvino, and Val Kilmore cameo. The proposal was classic Shawn and Gus. Everything seemed to work. I can’t say I have a single complaint.
    I’ll miss this show and wish the cast all the best.
    #PsychOut

13. Elle says:

The finale was perfect, I wouldn’t change a single thing. Although now I’m dying for Lassie to go have dinner with Jules and Shawn and Gus and ask him all the questions he’s been obsessing over for the last decade.

14. A. D. says:

Thanks for a great 8 seasons! Make movies!

15. april says:

I guess this sad day had to come eventually. I was never going to be ready for this show to end. After crying and laughing from the first minute I must say this was the best finale I’ve seen. It had closure but still left it open to the imagination.

16. Stock trading software can also be set to automatically initiate a trade to suit
    your needs when a desired commodity hits a certain level, and then sell it when it hits
    another higher level. While you will find a range of other
    trading applications available Metatrader is popular as it prioritizes accessibility and enables trading while using greatest
    number of brokers. I despised how he stole the presidential election along with
    all the wars and host from the usual complaints.

17. Kayla says:

This was an EXTREMELY satisfying finale. I love how Shawn was able to man up, yet still failed at doing what he needed to do, and that Gus was right there to hold him up. Then the little moments – Buzz, Lassiter breaking the DVD, Shassie hug, Henry moments, hugging the chief, the hilarious proposal with the interruptions, Val Kilmer. Such a love letter to all Psych-os.

18. Amber Horton says:

That was amazing beyond words. Thank you, Psych, for 8 amazing seasons. Now Steve Franks, please go write the Shawn and Juliet wedding for the Psych movie. Please and thank you.

19. Pretty damn good finale. I’ve always enjoyed endings that do a mix of, “The Adventure Continues,” and, “Lets give closure.”

20. El says:

A HUGE thank you to the cast, crew and network for 8 amazing seasons. Psych is, no doubt, one of the best series + cast that the USA Network will ever know!

21. Captain Humphrey says:

awesome ending to an awesome show. will still watch the reruns. i personally am hoping for one last xmas show!

22. thatdude says:

Beginning to end perfection, this season was fantastic to the very bitter sweet end, cant wait to own this season and marathon away, thank you to the cast and crew and Usa, you kept a true gem alive for 8 years…that after show was also perfection

23. Michael says:

I would gladly trade Batman vs Superman for Psych vs Monk!

24. GhostWolf says:

A very well done finale to the show (can’t really see it having done any better). Plus, the post-party was just as enjoyable.

25. Lisa says:

I haven’t been able to watch the finale and after show yet. I work overnights. However, It’s truly sad to see Psych go, just as sad as seeing Monk go. It’s been a fantastic series, and hopefully TPTB will actually find a way to make occasional Psych movies or, as has been suggested, Psych/Monk movies. To me, Psych has been one of the best original shows on USA. At least I still have Suits, which is also a phenomenal show. But I will miss Psych terribly.

26. Ken says:

Loved the show for 8 years. Will miss it for even longer! Steve Franks/USA… how about a TV movie once a year? C’mon son!!!

27. Regina says:

How did it take me until the series finale to realize this show has a Buzz and a Woody? Perfect finale!

28. MaJuly says:

WHEN IS THA MOVIE COMING OUT?!

29. A says:

I am so so so so so so so sad that my favorite tv show of all time is over. Bruton Gaster I will miss you the most

30. Lee says:

You forgot to mention the REAL BUD in this episode!!!!

31. K. says:

LOVED IT!!!!!! Now so sad it’s over, Psych was one of the greats!

32. Brittany says:

That is how a series finale is done! I hope TV runners of other shows took note on how a beloved show should close. What a love letter to the fans. I cried more times than I care to admit, just because of the sheer perfection of everything.

33. Brooke says:

How many shows run for 8 years without creatively slumping and then manage to pull off the perfect finale? I think Psych may be alone on that list.

34. Debra says:

It was the perfect ending to the show – I loved it – especially the reference to Monk at the end – how great was that? I am going to miss it so much!!

35. Babybop says:

It was perfect. I hope they do a movie soon! I miss it already.

36. Susan says:

We loved the finale! It was very well done, with the perfect blend of heart and humor. Our family will really miss this show. It was one of the very few that we watch on network tv.

37. bobbie says:

It was the best series finale ever. It left me feeling good about everything. It was perfect.And it felt more like a beginning than an end.
    I wish the series had had more of McNabb. I will miss all the love that went into this show, it shone through in every episode.

38. Heather says:

Great finale! I wish the networks and cable would make more series like Psych, Chuck – shows that we can watch with our kids that have action and humor! Love it and will miss it.

39. Hmm says:

THIS IS THE BEST SHOW EVER WHY DOES IT HAVE TO END!!!! Sorry. Okay. Seriously, this was one of the most underrated shows ever and one of my favorites. Next to Friends, this is the only show where I own all the seasons (minus 8) and can watch on repeat over and over and never get sick of. I’m going to miss this show so much, it’s unreal. Kudos to this cast for creating such an amazing experience.

40. Luis says:

Monk/Psych crossover movie – GET TO WORK, USA!!!

41. Pat says:

I am going to miss this show. I cannot believe that eight years have gone by. I was really sad when Monk ended but Psych kept me laughing. They ended on a very high note to all of us who were fans from the beginning. I must admit, I laughed my butt off at the end, when they drove off in a drivers ed car to catch that thief. Thank You to all of the cast especially, James and Dule. I am going to miss your characters of Shawn and Gus, along with finding the pineapple. You kept me laughing for eight years and my only regret is not having eight more of them with you guys!

42. so Gus is a guy who has no life: kids? girlfriend? family? all he cares about is being around shawn?

43. Luminosity says:

So sad that Psych has ended but so happy that they went out with style. The finale was both funny and sentimental. It tied up so many loose ends and still had time to throw in precious easter eggs. Loved it!

44. Andrew Hass says:

I thought it was a great finale with everything tied up and there could be movies with Gus and Shawn in San Francisco solving crimes and Shawn and Juliet’s wedding.Plus i thought it was nice that Lassiter destroyed the DVD before hearing Shawn’s confession because he may not have wanted to know the truth.

45. Sebastian says:

So, most of the episode was on par for an episode of Psych, and a finale, but there were a few problems.

How the hell does Shawn not recognize Billy Zane? All the times he mentions him, it’s just not possible.

Who cares about Val Kilmer? I haven’t seen anything with him in it in too many years for him to be recognizable, so when they displayed him like he was supposed to be someone special, I had no idea what the point was.

When the guy stole the ring at the end, why did he even make it to a car? Does Jules not carry a gun, or not care enough to stop it?

• M3rc Nate says:

Basically all your issues are with the heart of the show…if you come at it with that logic then you are missing the point of Psych…also all those things like “who cares about Val Kilmer”? maybe you dont but the show which is a 80’s loving show does…hence they mention him all the time and they got him for the finale.

Lol wtf…what do you think cops can do when someone is robbed? Whip out their gun and shoot the guy? Not only can they not shoot someone in the back, or shoot them to wound them like aiming for a leg…they cant just open fire on a public crowded street with civilians walking around. And if your argument is for her to whip it out and yell freeze…cops try not to use it as a prop if they arent gonna actually use it, and yelling freeze doesnt really stop anybody unless they are surrounded or cornered…and people (especially criminals) are smart enough to know what i said earlier about cops not shooting thief’s in the back so they wouldnt stop for “Freeze or ill shoot!” anyways.

46. A fan says:

Was Henry going to move into the psyhic office does anyone have an idea

47. M3rc Nate says:

Overall it was good but i actually like when a finale is special and amazing and different…but Franks likes it when a finale is like any other episode (at least for the first 40 minutes) so the entire time they are on the case…im just thinking “This is eating up precious minutes that could be spent on Gus and Jules! and other amazing endings!”….

I also felt everything done was just what you’d expect…granted i wouldnt necessarily want it any other way…but him proposing, Gus following him to SanFran…etc…it was all expected (at least to me) so it wasnt that special….personally i think i would have preferred a season with way more Jules (i know she got a diff job) and them engaged and the finale is their wedding, or honeymoon or just got back from honeymoon and on a case…or something. Just getting engaged feels like “well…this sucks cause now i wish id see episodes of them planning and the wedding and honeymoon”…im obviously a shipper but i also think they are at their funniest and sweetest when they are together in a non-work manner.

48. John Moshier says:

great episode did you get it when james said on the party show oh carl he was so young a spoof on talking dead

49. Mark says:

I’ve felt the series was losing steam. Heck, I absolutely hated last week’s Zombie/Nightmare episode. What were they thinking? However, this episode was perfection and reminded me why I loved this show so much for so many years.

And yes, my favorite part was the Monk shout out. I half expected Tony to walk around the corner, but even so, it made my night.

• The Truth says:

Yeah this season had some good eps, but the Maggie Lawson doing another show thing definitely showed during the season and really made some of the eps feel out of place, pretty much until the last one. The finale was great though.

50. Valica810 says:

Um didn’t Shawn go home to talk to dad. The dad sold house to Lassiter.