Nashville Recap: Stall and Chain

Nashville Season 2 Recap Something old, something new, something closeted, something blue – yep, Nashville‘s Will and Layla have all their matrimonial boxes checked in this week’s episode.

Consequently, there’s absolutely nothing (save Gunnar… and Layla’s parents… and the laws of physical attraction) stopping them from rushing into the worst-conceived partnership since Kimye and Vogue.

Elsewhere, Maddie gets into the least salacious Internet trouble a teen can find – don’t worry, Rayna still freaks out about it – and Scarlett flings a sass boomerang at Juliette but neglects to duck. (Rookie mistake, Scar.)

Let’s review what went down in “Your Wild Life’s Gonna Get You Down.”

RELATEDNashville Sneak Peek: A Surprise Visit From Her Unhinged Mom Leaves Scarlett Distraught

COLD FEET? | Will and Layla return to Nashville and excitedly tell Gunnar they’re engaged. Layla shows him her ring, and he shows Will his disapproving face. But Will’s roomie isn’t the only one who’s not on board with the upcoming wedding: Jeff Fordham asks whether Layla has another little reality show runner-up in the oven, and when Will replies that she does not, the Edgehill head wonders if there’s another reason they’re rushing down the aisle. Will’s all, “I love her! She’s hot! I’m straight!” and Jeff seems to buy it, but still, Mr. Lexington is a bit shaken.

When Layla’s parents phone to make it clear that they won’t be throwing rice on their daughter’s big day, it causes her to have some major second thoughts. Though I sympathize with Will’s plight (and think Chris Carmack is doing really fine work in this storyline), I want to throttle that earnest look right off his face when he gets in close and tells Layla to focus on what’s important. “For me, it’s you,” he lies, inching ever closer to ruining both of their lives.

Little does Will know, it may all be in vain – which becomes clear when Jeff ambles up to Gunnar backstage at a concert and point-blank asks him if Edgehill’s newest up-and-comer prefers the company of cowboys. Gunnar evades in a way that seems to satisfy Jeff; later, with a better understanding of exactly how devastating it would be to Will’s career if the secret got out, Gunnar shows up at the chapel where Layla and Will are getting married and lets Will know he covered for him.

A relieved Will nearly cries as he thanks Gunnar and promises he’ll be a good husband; what’s very sad about this scene is that he honestly thinks pretending to be something he’s not is a viable – hell, a positive — choice for the rest of his life.  With Gunnar looking on, Will and Layla are wed.

RELATED | Nashville Promotes Two to Series Regulars, Pending Season 3 Renewal

MADDIE: INTERNET SENSATION? | Luke and Rayna think the upcoming Nashville date of his tour – which will coincide with a livestream performance of Rayna’s latest single – is a great opportunity for her girls to meet his son, Colt. Colt is into hip-hop and big headphones and talking in ways that no kid that age would ever talk. Just a few minutes after meeting him, we learn that Colt – who looks like he just stepped out of the So Fly! section of the J.C. Penney catalogue — “ain’t really feelin'” his dad’s country tunes and that he’s more into “Skrillex, EDM, rap… anything with sick beats.” (Side note: Good God.)

Colt is impressed, though, by Maddie and Daphne’s “Miss Mary Mack”-meets-“Cups” rhythms as they sing him a folky song. So he records them, remixes them and then posts them online – news Rayna is not happy to hear after she comes off stage.

When Teddy shows up to take the girls home, Maddie defiantly announces that she’s going to stick around to hear Deacon sing with Will and Luke. (We’ll deal with the whole Teddy/Megan/Deacon debacle in a minute.) And, because she’s told Colt that Deacon is her biological dad, that news has now trickled down to a ticked-off Luke… who peevishly informs Rayna that he didn’t like being in the dark.

Rayna loses it with her older daughter, demanding that she take the “Maddie Claybourne” video off the Web. “I don’t want people that you don’t even know weighing in on your life!” Rayna cries, her voice getting thick after Maddie refers to herself as “illegitimate.” (Side note: Score one for teen insolence here, because while Maddie seems just pissed and bored, a wounded Rayna turns into a teary mess in just a few moments’ time.) At the very last minute, Maddie seems affected by her mom’s concern for her, and the pair embraces.

Still, Luke doesn’t know where he stands with his redheaded lady – and he seems a bit jealous of Deacon, no? “We have a daughter together, and a history,” she acknowledges. “But you’re my present and, I hope, my future.”

RELATED | TVLine Mixtape: Your Favorite Songs From The Walking DeadNashvilleGirls and More

THE INEVITABLE | So, back to Teddy at the concert. He arrives already in a snit about Maddie lying in order to spend more time with Deacon, so when he sees her chillin’ with her biodaddy, Teddy loses it. Deacon, I might add, does not help matters by challenging the mayor’s authority in front of Maddie – and everyone’s in a bad mood by the time Deke finds Teddy and Megan arguing about their “terrible, awful mistake.”

In seconds, Deacon realizes what went on between his woman and Rayna’s ex. There’s some collar-grabbing and wall-punching, then the next thing we know, Megan’s crying and Deacon’s packing a bag at his house. Wait, Deke, you live there; give lady lawyer a pro bono boot out the door! Worried that he’ll jettison his sobriety when he leaves the house, she wails for him think of his kid and his career. “I’m done bein’ saved,” he coldly informs her.

RELATED | Nashville Actor Is One of TVLine’s Performers of the Week

TENTH VERSE, SAME AS THE FIRST | Literally the second thing out of Scarlett’s mouth in this episode is a complaint that touring with Juliette will get in the way of finishing her album, and it doesn’t get much better from there. You guys know how I feel about Goldilocks’ whining about the hard life of a rockstar, so let’s just deal with the basics: She writes a new ballad with Avery, she directly disobeys Ju’s orders not to perform it during her opening act (though a minute part of me loved her moxy in dedicating the song to Ms. Barnes), and she pops a pill after Juliette gives her a sharp dressing-down. (Side note originally raised by a savvy TVLine reader in a prior recap’s comments: Exactly how many pills were in that bottle Liam gave her? They seem to be lasting a long time.)

But Scar’s small act of onstage defiance earns her a modicum of respect from the tour’s headliner, who refuses to fire her (yes, Scarlett begs again to be let out of the harsh tyranny of tour life) and says her “raw nerve” is what’s going to make her great. And then, after noting that Scarlett seems high, Juliette apologizes to Avery for being jealous of her blonde tourmate and confesses that she’s scared of her feelings for the newly minted producer. “You have my heart,” she says warily though honestly. “You’re capable of destroying me.”

Now it’s your turn.  What did you think of the episode? Did you enjoy Ju’s impression of Scarlett’s “squirrelly” face as much as I did? Do you think Gunnar truly convinced Jeff of Will’s heterosexuality? And would it be OK if we never saw Colt again? Sound off in the comments!

1. C says:

Was Brent on-hand to witness this Will/Layla trainwreck in the making?

2. steven says:

Colt looks like both a young Eli Marienthal and Enrique Iglesias.

3. Kristen says:

Nashville is getting so good!!! I don’t think Deacon is going to drink. I think he wanted to go to his other house to get away! Curious to see how Deacon and Rayna are going to deal with the Maddie situation!! Can’t wait to see Teddy’s head explode by the reveal!

4. JJ says:

Juliette was the best part of this episode. Love sassy Ju making fun of Scarlett! Especially since Scarlett was just annoying this episode, but once again her song was the prettiest of the night.

Chris Carmack is doing a nice acting job with that story, but oh what a train wreck that’s going to be.

I don’t like Luke with Rayna at all (I agree with him, he should be worried about Rayna’s feelings for Deacon despite her denial), but I have to admit that the Luke Wheeler character is growing on me, would look forward to seeing him with someone else. Good riddance to the super annoying Christina Chang. I was counting down the minutes in this episode until Deacon was going to kick her to the curb forever. She was even annoying in her exit. You’ve just been dumped, stop being self-righteous telling Deacon what to do.

5. WOW says:

I know the slow burn of stories are what makes good drama but damn but I can’t help but sigh each time Will’s story comes up because I fear the show is going to be cancelled before it reaches a conclusion.
    Granted, that conclusion has to come after Will inevitably cheats on Layla, gets found out, is totally shunned, and becomes depressed, angry, and brooding. I want to see ALL of that but I think the writers are going to make us wait it out and if this show is axed at the end of the season, I am going to be pissed that the story is never able to finish.

6. Diz says:

Juliette’s comment & mannerisms about that idiot Scarlet being squirrely was spot on. I laughed so hard. Best thing I’ve seen in a long time. Loved it.

7. Mario says:

Its like you read my mind! You seem to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it
    or something. I think that you can do with some pics
    to drive the message home a bit, but other than that, this is magnificent
    blog. A great read. I will definitely be back.

8. JEC says:

I loved this episode! It’s so great to see how events have lead up to setting the stage for a family reconciliation between maddie, Rayna and Deacon…….or at least something more real for Rayna and Deacon. I feel the characters finally having the heartfelt moment we’ve all been waiting for is coming up. I hope the show is renewed, because the characters are so fun to watch develop. I love your recaps and they make me laugh out loud. Great observations.

9. Forwardad says:

Kimye and Vogue comment just too funny.

Great recap.

• troll says:

Really?? It wasn’t funny at all, more child like if you think about. When you have so called adults behaving like children over a couple on a fashion magazine cover (that glorifies the entitled), it’s no wonder kids today are mean and nasty towards their peers, they learn by example.

10. Shannon says:

Interesting episode tonight. Did not care for Colt. Colt can bolt.

Was moved by Rayna’s affirmation of her daughter’s existence. Telling her she is loved and wanted and not illegitimate and to not ever say that again was just so moving and hopefully it moved a parent to two to reaffirm their love to their child. I know that it moved me to do just that. I have a moody, broody teenager so I have to give that speech from time to time.

I hate to say it but I am so over the whole Will storyline now. At first I was all supportive, especially given last season’s finale when he was literally at a crossroads in his life, but now I couldn’t care less. I was riveted by the story of a gay male country singer, but now not so much. I do fear what is going to happen with Will since he has gone and gotten himself hitched to Layla, because he has just dug himself into a hole. His past is bound to present itself at the most inopportune moment and I will not be able to watch. Well, I will watch but I will have my hands covering my eyes and will be peeping between my fingers.

Teddy once again is a first class grade A jerk. Since Deacon has found out that his lover has slept with his nemesis I sincerely hope he does not fall off the wagon and do something incredibly stupid. The girl is so not worth it. He has a daughter that loves and adores him and a budding music career so hopefully he will just howl at the moon and leave it at that.

Juliette’s impression of Scarlett was spot on. I love sassy Juliette. I love sweet and vulnerable Juliette even more. I love season one Juliette especially!! :) Speaking of, will someone please issue an APB for season one Scarlett? We miss her and have been searching frantically for her.

Thank you so much Kim for this great recap! Always enjoyable and always hilarious! You keep me coming back for more! :)

11. Britt says:

Where is the Change.org petition so we can kill Teddy off? Hopefully a slow and painfully death.

12. Guest says:

It seems like Luke’s son was written by someone who knows nothing about teens and just went through a checklist of what adults think teens are supposed to be like.

13. Emily says:

Forgive me if this has been discussed previously, but does it seem like Luke is an Edgehill agent sent to spy on Rayna, give her questionable advice, and report everything back to Jeff?

• Trevor says:

Ive been thinking the very same, he is way suss…….

• Love Me Some Deacon! says:

I’ve been thinking that Luke owns Edgehill – or a silent partner at the very least. That one time the way he kind of told Jeff “it’d better not happen again” about losing those big artists…… So last night I was really irritated with him (as I am every time I see him!!!) becasue he’s all down on Rayna cause she kept the Maddie/Deacon relationship from him – and I believe he is in thick with Edgehill, so what’s he keeping from her, huh? Jerk. Or maybe it’s just my imagination running rampant again…..

• Marcie says:

I took that scene as Luke threatening to walk away from Edgehill if Jeff didn’t cool it, not that Luke owned Edgehill. Jeff can’t afford to lose a 3rd big star.

14. Saabgirlatx says:

Uhm, were we all watching the same program? Ju was being an insecure bully – in no way sassy. And yes, frail Scarlett needs to put on her big girl panties and either shape up or ship out of the tour for once and all because she’s just so inconsistent. It was really kind if sad for me to watch Juliette’s mean behavior here after the positive strides she had been making. Plus that wig/extensions she sported was way too faux! Teddy was being a selfish arse too. Plus he’s now stalking boring lawyer lady? Ugh. I don’t mind him as the dad but the continual crossovers with Deacon make it so frustrating when we don’t have Deacon and Rayna moments.

• Claire says:

THIS.

• JJ says:

I’ve totally been thinking that about Teddy/Deacon. Why do we have to watch them interact? Shouldn’t Deacon be dealing with Rayna about most of the Maddie stuff. I don’t think I can take another Deacon/Teddy fight. Please get rid of Teddy, Eric Close may be a nice guy, but he’s just an incredibly horrible character that should have been dumped a long time ago off the show.

• Delia says:

Juliette may have started the episode as an insecure bully toward Scarlett, but I think she started empathizing with her in the middle of that little flip-out in the dressing room. By the end of Scarlett’s meltdown, Juliette started seeing herself as something of a mentor to Scarlett and gave her some sound, albeit a little blunt, advice.

I agree with everything else you typed, though.

15. Claire says:

This was a nice episode IMO. The moment between Maddie and Rayna backstage was EVERYTHING – very moving and one of the better Connie Britton moments (give the woman somethingreal …something to feel and she pulls it off.)

16. meah says:

LMAO juliette mimicking scarlett made me laugh so hard,so happy she and avrey made up,I love them!!
    Ugh I hate maddie for being so mean and disrespectful to her parents..my dad died when I was 10(am 20 now) and my mum single handedly raised all 4 of us,no matter how mad or upset am with her I could never be rude to her or scream or insult her,so whenever I see teenagers in tv or films or real life insult or be rude to their parents I just leaves a bad taste in my mouth

• Kristen says:

I agree with you about Maddie being disrespectful to her parents. However, I understand Maddie being really mad and upset. She has been lied to her whole life about who she is! She has every right to be upset!

• RUCookie says:

Whiile I didn’t lose a parent (I am sorry to hear of your loss), I too get furious with Maddie. Teenager or not, I find her behavior infuriating. Never would I have been allowed to behave in this manner. And what in the world was she thinking (or not thinking) when she released the secret… it wasn’t just hers! It effects many other people – her mom, her dad, her biological father, and ever her sister… it was insanely selfish, self-destructive and short-sighted.

17. iceturkee says:

deacon needs to be with charlotte ross, not the lawyer lady.

18. C. says:

I miss Season One Gunnar and Scarlett. Their music was my favorite of the show and at the time I enjoyed their characters and story lines. Now Scarlett is just so insufferable with her complaints about hating to tour and parties and that her friends ditched her?! (hardly), and Gunnar just has nothing to do now, except help out Will or occasionally act like a jerk to Zoe.

• Kelly says:

I agree. They were the best music, and also the most lovable and healthy couple. And yet they broke up so fast. It really didn’t make any sense. I didn’t expect her to accept the proposal at the season finale last year, but I did expect a back to square one dating relationship. Instead it was over and he fell in love with her best friend in a flash. Weird.

I still love Nashville though. I just want my Gunlett music back. :)

19. Boiler says:

Don’t really care for the Luke character either but if there is a season 3(hopefully) he is going to be back as a regular

20. Amy H says:

I feel like the writers go over the deep end on these story lines — car crash for Rayna and Deacon, Will & Layla getting married, Scarlett turning 180 degrees in character; . They’re in self-destruct mode. It’s like they throw a bunch of story lines up in the air, and see what lands.

21. Forwardad says:

Where IS Scarlett getting her endless supply of pills?

22. lisa says:

Great episode. Can not stand Teddy. I used to not be bothered by Scarlett but her whining and complaining. .. I can’t take her. No need for Colt to return. And Rayna, please dump Luke. Asap. Love this show. :)

23. Jeri says:

Hate to say it but maybe Lamar had the right idea as re: Teddy.

24. Paul says:

I’m surprised Hayden Panettiere doesn’t get whiplash the way her character’s written. One scene, she’ll be growing as a person and acting like an adult and the next she’s back to being a petulant brat. The show’s kind of in a place right now where I don’t like ANYONE…except Avery, who seems to be Nashville’s moral compass (a strange development after how his character was written for in season one).

25. chester says:

Why don’t people like Luke, other than that he is not Deacon. He seems like a really balanced guy who makes sober, well thought out decisions while also not being boring.

• Jess says:

I think a lot of the distaste for Luke has to do with the way the writers have aggressively and repeatedly forced how wonderful and perfect the Rayna/Luke relationship is on the viewers when it’s pretty clear that the majority finds it incredibly dull and awful. It’s actually hilarious how they have scene after scene alluding to Rayna and Luke’s hot love life when the actors have about as much chemistry as you’d have with a sibling. Luke on his own was never really that compelling, but he was way more interesting when he first showed up and had a bit of mystery to his personality, alternating between charming, suspicious and egotistical. Now he’s just a robo-boyfriend. If they want to separate him from Rayna and make him an actual character with a personality next season, I wouldn’t have an issue with that, but existing as a foil to Rayna and Deacon doesn’t do him any favors.

26. Evan says:

Nashville’s always been a little wobbly to me, but it has it peak moments. However, I really find myself either loving characters and wishing diarrhea upon them (or at least a good slap to the face). This week, the insufferables included Maddie (the “I’m a performer” storyline is the equivalent to dragging a body through a lake of nails), Teddy (the proverbial stick is so far up his ass, it’s starting to poke out out of his mouth), Megan (you know, that character who should’ve been gone before the first episode she was in), and Layla (who thought that marrying an older man she started dating out of convenience at the risk of losing her parents’ support was a brilliant idea). That said, there are storylines I do actually care about. I’m glad we’re getting to see Rayna deal with the reveal about Maddie’s dad and how social media is dragged into it (although the way it is talked about via dialogue is like a bad-placed ad). Will’s storyline this season would’ve been great if condensed into half as many episodes. I don’t mind that Scarlett storyline if solely because it is saved by the queen of the show, Juliette. I could watch 42 minutes of Juliette every week, especially if it’s her drinking and making fun of the rest of the characters on the show. Anyway, I find myself watching every week to see what awful, unrealistic mistakes these characters will make, and I’m never disappointed, so kudos to the writers for that one. At the very least, can this season end with Juliette getting a win here?! I feel like the writers HATE her character, yet she’s easily everyone’s favorite. Botched marriage, dead mother, religious protest, dropped label deal…where’s a win?!

• NF says:

Thank you, Evan…so agree with your comments. Are they ever gonna let Juliette have some happiness for a little while? Think the producers must worry that keeping people in good places in their lives/good relationships would be less interesting. But of course Juliette will always be interesting. Hayden just hits a home run in every scene. Would like to see Juliette and Avery stay together for a bit. They (and the music) are about the only reason I’m watching the show at this point– until of course the writers have one or both of them do something awful and/or out of character.

27. mariana says:

it seems like we have one thing in commun with Scarlett: she only likes the tour when she’s singing and we only like her character when she’s singing… the rest of the time she’s just annoying!

28. Gail says:

Nashville supporting cast going on real life short tour . From the NY Times:

OMG, Deacon! Avery! Gunnar! Live!!

The men of “Nashville,” the prime-time, country-music soap opera on ABC, are going on a short tour this spring, the first such outing connected to the show.

Charles Esten (who plays Deacon Claybourne, the master songwriter and sideman), Jonathan Jackson (Avery Barkley, the rocker) and Sam Palladio (Gunnar Scott, the sensitive one), the central male musical characters on the show, will play three shows along with Chris Carmack (Gunnar’s hunky neighbor, Will) and Clare Bowen (Scarlett, the ingénue). The tour starts on April 25 at Joe’s Bar in Chicago, then goes to Lincoln Theater in Washington on May 4 and Best Buy Theater in New York on May 6. Tickets go on sale Friday.

The tour is one of several musical events for “Nashville” as it winds down its second season. Over the weekend, stars from the show – including Hayden Panettiere, who plays Juliette Barnes, the troubled young superstar – taped a concert special at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, to be broadcast on April 23 as “Nashville: On the Record.”

And on April 9, the show will tape a concert at LP Field in Nashville – the stadium home of the Tennessee Titans – featuring Connie Britton (who plays Rayna James, the show’s aging country queen), along with Ms. Panettiere, Mr. Esten and others. The concert, which will have more than 1,000 extras and will not be open to the public, is to be shown as part of the season finale on May 14.

29. Miranda says:

Juliette mocking Scarlett’s squirrelliness was just the most insanely laugh out loud moment. I was cackling like a buffoon. Spot on!
    I could do with more of these kinds of moments and less of all the predictable relationship drama that is dominating this season. Juliette is hardly the most grown-up character but she’s the only one who is taking charge of her destiny here. And seeing her do that while navigating her relationship with Avery, another late bloomer to the whole being mature thing, is quite lovely to see.
    Rayna has constantly been on damage control duty this season: protecting her label, her artists, her career, the fragile egos of the men in her life, her kids – and sadly, not very successfully. Connie Britton is being wasted. She needs better material for her Emmy reel!