Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Casts Whedonverse Alum Amy Acker as Coulson's [Spoiler]

Agents of SHIELD Amy AckerYou don’t need to be The Clairvoyant to have seen this casting eventually coming.

ABC’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has enlisted Whedonverse alum Amy Acker to guest-star as Audrey, the cellist Agent Coulson was dating at the time of his death/”death,” TVGuide.com reports.

RELATED | Keep or Cut? Vote on the Fate of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and 27 ‘Bubble’ Shows

Acker is slated to appear in at least one episode, airing April 22. (S.H.I.E.L.D. resumes its freshman run on April 1, and will air its finale on May 13.)

RELATED | Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Casts Funnyman Patton Oswalt

Currently a series regular on Person of Interest, Acker’s previous TV credits include the Whedonverse’s Dollhouse and Angel, Once Upon a Time and Alias.

1. Steven says:

When they first mentioned his cellist girlfriend, I was hoping it was Wanda / Scarlet Witch and upon learning of his death the stress of it activated her powers and she altered reality, hence why he came back to life.

Disappointed, but thrilled that Amy will be playing her.

• sladewilson says:

THIS!!! I bet this is a better scenario than the one they come up with. I was kinda thinking something similar myself….

• Alan says:

that is a horrible scenario, it wouldnt make any sense for her to be the scarlet witch, some people only wanted that because they were clinging to their theory that coulson was the vision even though it pretty far from the comics.

• Gaara says:

^ This. Not to mention Wanda is way, WAY younger in MCU. If they go along along with her irl age then she would be 25 years old…

• dude says:

That would require Elizabeth Olsen to agree to be on the show since the show and movies exist in the same universe and I’m not sure she would.

2. cjeffery7 says:

i always forget Amy Acker was in Alias, lol. will be so so happy to see her on SHIELD! woohoo!

3. J says:

Ugh. Nepotism may just be Joss Whedon’s favorite thing. Next he will have Fillion and Denisoff.

• jc says:

Denisof is already in the MCU. He was The Other in The Avengers. But, we don’t see his human face, so who says he can’t pull double duty as something else. That doesn’t happen often for Marvel movie ventures though.

• Mary says:

He’s not the only one to do that though. Eddy Kitsis and Adam Horowitz worked on Lost and now a lot of Lost alums keep turning up on Once Upon a Time and Once Upon a Time in Wonderland. Same with Greg Grunberg popping up a lot in JJ Abrams works. They’ve been friends for years. And Bruce Campbell frequently turns up in Sam Raimi’s works.

• dude says:

Most directors have favourites that they constantly go back to. If they enjoy working with an actor and know that they can deliver what’s expected of them, why not hire them again and again?

• HATERADE says:

That wouldn’t be a bad thing at all.

• John NYC says:

There’s a “between jobs” witch who might be available…. speaking of the Denisoffs.

• Alan says:

news just in: people like to work with others they have worked with in the past, people who they know are good at their jobs and work well with them.
      what a shocker.

• Steve F. says:

Joss has his favorites he casts – don’t forget, J. August Richards is already Deathlok.

While on the subject of the Whedonverse, what will it take to get Felicia Day, Eliza Dushku, James Marsters, and/or Alan Tudyk to show up on Agents of SHIELD?

• Tom Charles says:

THIS! Felicia Day could have been good casting for the cellist actually.

• wordsmith says:

I could definitely buy her as a cellist (and as a violinist she’d probably be okay at faking it), though Amy Acker strikes me as much more Coulson’s type – more grounded and nurturing.

• liz says:

hells yes to any of these. They are are versatile and wicked talented. Marsters needs to be a series regular again….like it has to be illegal that he isn’t.

• Mr. John says:

There is no reason to avoid people you know and that are perfect for a role just because you used them before. As much of your audience understands the actor already, it provides instannt expectations – which are something you can use as a tool, either to quickly ground a character or to pull the rug out and surprise fans.

• liz says:

I’d welcome that. Whedon nepotism is my favourite kind of nepotism. I’m hoping for Michelle Tratchenberg to pop up on SHIELD

• Apples says:

Fillion won’t leave Castle till it’s done, but afterwards would make a great addition to the MCU.
      I’d love to see the likes of Jewel Staite, James Marsters, Alan Tudyk etc back on TV

4. tp says:

I like Amy Acker, when she’s not playing Root, but can we get some new faces? I’m sure there was someone else that was just as qualified.

5. Nicole says:

On one hand, yeah, not surprising an actor from the Whedon collective is appearing, however for some reason I think Acker as Cellist girlfriend will be really cute with Coulson. It’ll be nice to see the softer, non father figure side of Phil.

6. Claire says:

I was waiting for her appearance! :)

7. Tran 2.0 says:

I totally forgot what character Amy Acker played on Angel.

• John NYC says:

She played two: math genius turned mad after being in a demon universe a bit too long and then a demon herself, the latter VERY kickass quite like her Root in Person of Interest, but less evil.

• number42is1 says:

uhhhhh… only the BEST CHARACTER on the show… Fred!

• Joey says:

Fred was without a doubt my favorite character on the show, so therefore, A Hole in the World always completely destroys me.

• Ella says:

Ugh. Fred ruined Angel for me. Plus, she ripped apart my favourite bromance. I liked it a lot more when it was just Cordelia and the boys.

• Dominator of destruction says:

Fred was the real heart of the show and Acker is imo the best actress on tv has been for quite a while now

• Sarah says:

Heart of the show?! Please. She only joined in season 3, that statement is ridiculous. Angel was the hero, Cordelia was the heart, Wes was the brains and Gunn was the muscle.

8. Ginger says:

I’m thrilled! They may be the ‘same old faces’ but Joss knows what he’s doing.

9. Claire says:

I was waiting for her appearance! :) (seems my previous post was sucked into the Wedonverse)

10. ArchieLeach says:

they already said they’re doing a Winter Soldier tie in like they did with the Thor flick last year. If this episode is it maybe Coulson’s girlfriend was a Hydra spy.

11. Alan says:

who cares if whedon works with the same people over and over again, is it really that much of a surprise that they like to work with people they know they can do a good job with?
    anyway thats pretty damn perfect casting and should get a great performance out of clark gregg, they already worked together really well in much ado about nothing.

• Pam K. says:

I love Amy Acker, but Clark Gregg played her father in Much Ado, so her playing his love interest in S.H.I.E.L.D. weirds me out just a little bit. But then again, Ansel Elgort and Shailene Woodley just played siblings in Divergent, but their characters will be romantically involved in the upcoming The Fault in Our Stars. If the writing and acting are good enough, it’ll work.

• Alan says:

elizabeth olsen and aaron taylor are playing a couple in godzilla and twins in avengers 2, they are just jobs, it happens, one job shouldnt affect another.

• Alan says:

also i just remembered clark gregg was ackers uncle in much ado, not father.

• Pam K. says:

Oh, that’s right, Leonato is Hero’s father and Beatrice’s uncle. Sorry!

However, an actor’s previous roles, for me, influence how I watch their subsequent roles. Like I said, writing and acting can over come it, but not always.

12. justme says:

Hey Matt- I don’t think this is what you intended, but your last sentence kind of makes it sound like you think Once Upon a Time and Alias are part of the Whedonverse.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Nope, reads A-OK. “…Whedonverse’s Angel and Dollhouse,….” Had there been a comma after Angel, different ball o’wax.

13. Kaycee says:

Why doesn’t he ever use Charisma Carpenter? Or better yet, Amber Benson (Tara from Buffy). I like Acker, but I’d much rather Whedon recycled those two.

• Jon says:

As for Charisma Carpenter, oh I don’t know. Perhaps a little bad blood from the Angel days. Something about a pregnancy…

Amber Benson seem semi-retired from acting, Writing is more her gig now.

• Joey says:

I’d really like to see Emma Caulfield on my TV more, honestly. I loved seeing her pop up as the Blind Witch on Once Upon a Time in the first season!

14. LEP says:

Amy was outstanding in Whedon’s “Much Ado About Nothing”. First time I had seen her in a role where she wasn’t the bad guy/gal. She was quite funny and lit up the room.

15. Quang says:

Yes, Whedon works with the same people over and over again, but Amy Acker is lucky in that she’s an alum of the Whedon-verse AND the JJ-verse.

16. Carla Krae says:

Love Amy.

I still wish someone would cast Emma Caulfield in a comedy. She has such hilarious timing.

17. Miriam Maurer says:

I nix the James Marsters idea…as for Amy it is getting old!

18. Tom Charles says:

This made me so very very happy!

19. Ms Thing says:

Does this mean that Root will meet her maker by the end of this season?

• An Irrelevant says:

I asked the same thing on another site…the article here seems to indicate that Amy’s stint on SHEILD is only for one ep or so. I LOVE her as Root, but she has a lot of haters on the POI FB page that would be deliriously happy if they killed her off. Not as many haters as Shaw, but close.

• Guest says:

That would be a big downgrade in roles and shows for Acker.

20. Kristina says:

YAY for Amy Acker!!!

21. Et al says:

A large part of this show’s collapse can be attributed to the awful casting of the leads. Frankly, I’d be thrilled if we came back for season 2 with everyone replaced by Whedonverse alumni.

22. tv2day says:

How many times is the hacker girl gonna be near death in a month. The writing is similar to dollhouse. Sucks

• Alan says:

lets see, skye has been near death exactly once, when she was shot, other than that she has been in perfect health.
      or maybe you are talking about how in the latest episode she was still recovering slowly from being shot. which of course you would complain about if it wasnt shown, saying there are no consequences between episodes.

23. tv2day says:

Neither root or shaw will be leaving poi. Ratings r as high as ever. People on the fb page r not even a fraction of 1% of the viewers of poi. Its much more interesting from middle of last season on. Shield needs a makeover. I don’t even know the characters names beyond the big forehead guy an the hacker. Very uninteresting characters

• Isobel says:

I think they’ll reboot for season 2 because I agree apart from Coulson and ‘FitzSimmons’ the team is really dull and boring

24. Joey Padron says:

Good casting. Glad another of Joss’s friends will be guest starring on show.

25. Liz says:

AHH!! THIS IS AWESOME! I knew a Whedon alum had to pop in at some point and Amy is the perfect one to play a love interest for Coulson; they seem really compatible (though Amy Acker has compatibility with a sack of flour) I hope its recurring as Coulson need’s some love. SO PLEASED. And I’m friggen loving her on Person of Interest.

26. Mikael says:

When I first heard they were making a SHEILD show, I immediately wanted Amy Acker as Jessica Drew/Spider-Woman. She can pull it off. She was sweet, awkward Fred on Angel, and then a ruthless killer on Alias. She’s got range. I also loved her on Dollhouse and that one episode of Grimm where she was a black widow (literally.) It seems a waste to have her be the Cellist…unless there’s more to her, like being a HYDRA spy as some have theorized.

27. Dominator of destruction says:

Ok i admit it i much prefer Arrow but Amy Acker is my favourite so i will try to get back into a.os for Amy she is too good