Good Wife Sneak Peek: Emmy Noms, Anyone?

Who out there needs a good midday sniffle…?

CBS has released a trailer for this Sunday’s episode of The Good Wife, which of course chronicles the reactions of Alicia, Diane and others to the tragedy that capped last week’s hour.

RELATED | Exclusive: The Good Wife Creators Talk Sunday’s Devastating Twist, Preview What’s Next

As series cocreator told TVLine during our exclusive Q&A from Sunday night, as the episode “Last Call” opens up, “We rewind just a little bit, like a minute. And then the next eight hours are compressed into one episode.” Josh Charles appears in new flashbacks, from Alicia’s POV.

RELATED | Exclusive: Josh Charles Reveals Why He Left The Good Wife, Previews Will’s ‘Return’

Press play below and count up the Emmy nominations (hopefully) to come.

1. I don’t think next week’s episode is directed by Josh Charles, I got the impression that it was directed by Michelle and Robert King, and later this season he will direct another episode!

2. jen says:

i can’t. that ‘hey’ at the end just… i can’t. this show!

3. Ally_D says:

I just got chills watching this. The scene(s) between Alicia and Diane is going to be so hard to watch but I know that the acting from both Julianna and Christine will be beyond

4. Dee says:

Am I the only one that can’t see the video? I have an iPhone and the space is blank … Even if I try to view it in Safari it’s not there. Ugh!

5. Dee says:

Emmy wins for everyone involved with TGW. This episode was really shocking and proved beyond a doubt that TGW is the very best show on all of TV. Emmy voters do the right thing and send Josh Charles out with an EMMY. If this show is ignored again by the EMMYs then the Television Academy should be investigated. What a show!

6. Emma says:

Julianna & Christine willl be incredibe and the academy should just engrave their names now. Although I hate Will’s demise, the upcoming episode will be superb.

7. Tav says:

Great trailer and great song. Looking forward to watching all the reverberations/fall out.

And I realize TVLine is the go-to outlet for the Kings (per the exclusives–and your touting them; though this vid was publicly available), but you guys could tone it down.

“Emmy Noms, Anyone?”
    “Press play below and count up the Emmy nominations (hopefully) to come.”

getting a bit obvious…

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Yeah, that’s not at all how it works, but thanks for the ombudsmanship.

• ME says:

I don’t think TVLine can “tone down” the phenomenal season that the Kings have given us. It deserved the attention it got from TVLine and every other site that has covered this season. The exclusives were awesome and it was great to have the opportunity to hear what the Kings were thinking during the writing process.

• Tav says:

An unexpected major character death can’t redeem a whole season. Maybe things will improve going forward but up until now the show has been making little sense. And it’s a far cry from “the best show on TV”, which TVLine has been hammering home for a while now.
        I can’t address every issue (though if you look in the Josh Charles interview post, plenty of people do a good job outlining the problems) but with even a slightly critical eye one can see the show is all over the place.
        With Last year’s finale Alicia was finally supposed to “choose” between Will and Peter (per the Kings finale post-mortem), which was part of why Alicia left to start her own firm. Yet this year Alicia is STILL wary of Peter and keeping him at arms length, even though she agreed to renew vows with him and go on a second honeymoon. ???? Likewise, even though Alicia left LG to get away from Will, practically every case had her facing him (or flashback had her kissing him). So uh, what was the point of all that since nothing was even resolved? Talk about wanting to have your cake and eat it too; the Kings just can’t help beating the dead horse of the “triangle”
        Not to mention they introduce plots and characters that go nowhere; what was the point of Damian and his antics, is he still a partner at LG?? What even happened to Will’s blonde rebound girlfriend? What about Jenna; does she still matter now that Kalinda is “with” Cary? Although the Kings did mention that monogamy isn’t a concern of Kalinda’s, which is so great to say about a bisexual WOC (can you believe the show was once lauded for it’s portrayal of queer characters). And does this NSA wire-tapping situation even matter now that Will can’t be deposed (talk about a deus ex machina) and directly connect Peter (or Alicia) to the ballot video?
        But yes, this has been a phenomenal season… of histrionics, and that’s about it.

• TL says:

WOW…maybe you should stop watching.

• DramaMomma says:

So you are upset that each plot point isn’t wrapped up before the next one is introduced? You have never had a beef with someone that lingered. If so, I applaud your ability to find closure. Kalinda’s inability to commit has nothing to do with her sexual or minority status and just who she personally is which is completely understandable after seeing her husband (as awful as that storyline was). The NSA wiretapping never had anything to do with Will specifically. I believe it was because of Zach’s ex-girlfriend’s family had possible terrorist ties and the government got interested when they realized it who Zach was. The investigation not going to stop just because Will died. Damian, okay, you got me there because it seems so far as a dead end, but wouldn’t it be interesting if he makes a play to be manager partner or expanded role (won’t that make David’s head explode). Bottomline, there are so many interesting things to play out.

8. Meg says:

There is another promo where Alicia gets a voicemail from Will that she hadn’t checked. That might be quite the tearjerker :(

9. kiks says:

This show has deserved an Emmy for a long time now. Its manner of creative story-telling is unique unlike anything else on TV. I really hope that it is recognized this year. With episodes like “Hitting the Fan” and the shock value of “Dramatics, Your Honor”, the show deserves its due.
    Will Gardner was an instrumental player in the whole TGW scenario but it will be great to see what comes next. I just hope ratings don’t falter. Maybe for season 6, moving it to a new night with a stronger lead in will help balance out the loss of Will G (if there is fan fall-out).
    I for one still love the show and will continue tuning in. The writing, stories and acting are just fantastic and I will still be watching.

10. NMS says:

I started crying watching this and it was even on mute! I love this show.

11. TL says:

THAT was a fantastic trailer. WOW. This is a perfect example of a show (with season 5) that can reinvent itself. KUDOS ALL AROUND!

12. nikki says:

If Hugh Laurie never got an Emmy for House, Josh Charles does not deserve one for The Good Wife. Also, leaving House did wonders for Lisa Edelstein’s career. I wonder if Josh Charles’ post-The Good Wife career will reach the same heights?

• KRock says:

While I think it’s ridiculous that Hugh Laurie never got an Emmy, its unfair say Josh Charles doesn’t deserve one. Thats like saying since Steve Carell never won for The Office(equally ridiculous), Nick Offerman doesn’t deserve one for Parks and Rec. You’re comparing apples to oranges, they wouldn’t even be competing in the same category if House were still on the air. The show House was built around Hugh Laurie and he was pretty much in 80% of all the scenes in any given episode. Josh Charles was arguably the leading man of The Good Wife but he was still only a supporting character. That said, in my opinion, Josh’s performance, especially this season has been just as good, if not better than Hugh Laurie’s best work on House.

13. M.T. says:

The show is (was)good, but this IMHO there’s no way Julianna Margulies will beat Robin Wright at the awards. There’s a construction of character and a master class by Wright on House of Cards that none of this soapy teary drama can outdone.

• EJ says:

I don’t know, M.T,., I think you’re underestimating JM’s popularity with the voters. No way did Bobby Cannavale “deserve ” his Emmy for Boardwalk Empire over Aaron Paul but he is extremely well-liked and that is what pushed him over the edge. I can easily see Margulies win out over Wright come Emmy time.

• Deion says:

Robin Wright should have won for the first season of House of Cards. I think Juliana has a fighting chance this season. Archie and Christine have been thrown in the supporting actress category together before, I hope this season gets the same recognition. But Josh Charles deserves it more than all of them for his work this season. He has been phenomenal.

• TL says:

Agreed! I love JM, but the scene where Robin delivered the following line in HOC will secure her an Emmy win: I am willing to let your child wither and die inside you, if that’s what’s required. WINNER. DECIDED!

• Jason says:

What “construction” of a character has Wright done? She is strong on the show no doubt, but there isn’t much depth to that character (or any character on HOC).

• M.T. says:

I think that i’m not the only one who believes that Claire Underwood is a unique character never seen before n tv. The layers and the complexity that Robin Wright gives to her performance cannot be compared to the crying and the hysteria that every other actress in the category call “acting”

• Jess says:

That is such a broad generalization of the other female actresses, and it’s even vaguely sexist. Do you even watch their shows? Margulies certainly doesn’t cry on a weekly basis. Neither does Elisabeth Moss.

14. Chablis says:

I’d like Christine B. to be nominated. Thanks TVline for all TGW coverage even when everyone else was ignoring.

15. Flo says:

God am I gonna cry my eyes out…

16. Ron says:

Oh my gosh, I’m gonna cry. Yeah, this will need to be an episode I watch by myself, with my bedroom door shut, and my blinds closed … in the dark, because no need for people to see me sob like a little baby. That said, as sad as this is going to be, I think this is going to provide fantastic material for all those involved for the rest of the season, and I can’t wait to see how this season plays out.

17. Beckers0505@yahoo.com says:

OH MY! This was amazing! Very few shows that have been on for a few years have one of the best years this late in the game! But TGW has done it! I was in tears last Sunday! No one is talking about Kalinda! She was amazing and she broke my heart! I can not wait to see this Sunday coming up! Keep it up Good Wife!!!

• xx says:

I’ll talk about Kalinda with you! I hope the death of Will and strife between Alicia and Peter drive Alicia and Kalinda back to their friendship. The show’s proven it can stand without that early cornerstone, but Kalinda’s best plots are always around Alicia.

• Rebecca says:

I agree with you. I would like to see them mend the fence. Especially if Carey and Kalinda will be seeing each other. That means Alicia and Kalinda will be seeing each other more too.

18. H.Houston says:

The conversation between Diane and Alicia “you loved him” “he loved you”…. I have tears running down my face.
    Does anyone know the name of the song they used in the promo?

19. rowan77 says:

Just the look on Diane’s face as she rushes toward Alicia, arms outstretched immediately made me feel weepy. I’m really looking forward to seeing where Will’s death takes the show.

20. “The Last Call”, Mr. Mitovich. Remember, all the episode titles this season are 3 words long.

21. R. Ghosh says:

seriously ‘the video is not available for my geographic region’ !!!!! could you guys be more biased!!!…its a shame!

22. Matt says:

Has anyone else noticed that the first seasons episode titles were only one word? Season two’s had two words, and so on until season 5, which went backwards to 3. This makes me wonder if they plan on ending the show with season 7 as its last.

23. MiaB says:

I’ve seen this preview five times and I cry every time.

24. Jason says:

While I hope the show gets a ton of Emmy love, it will be tough. In terms of Drama Series, I would think Breaking Bad, True Detective, and House of Cards are locks. Mad Men and Game of Thrones seem solid, too. That leaves The Good Wife, Downton Abbey, and maybe Homeland fighting for the 6th spot (with Masters of Sex, Boardwalk Empire, and The Americans in the race as well).

Margulies should get back in Actress; I see Britton falling out, but there were 7 nominees last year. Robin Wright, Claire Danes, and Kerry Washington are basically locks. Margulies, Michelle Dockery, Vera Farmiga, and Elisabeth Moss will battle for the other 3 spots between the 4 of them. I would guess Farmiga or Dockery are left out.

I think Josh Charles could get back in Supporting Actor. Aaron Paul, Peter Dinklage, and Mandy Patinkin (if he stays Supporting) are locks. Dean Norris of Breaking Bad will probably take Jonathan Banks’ slot. That leaves Josh Charles and Corey Stoll taking the other 2 slots unless a Downton Abbey guy sneaks in.

Christine Baranski should be back in Supporting Actress. Archie Panjabi could sneak back in if the material stays as strong as this past episode, but with all of the Supporting Actress nominees from last year eligible this year it will be tough.