The Voice Battle Rounds Recap: It Might Sound Crazy What I'm About to Say… [Updated]

The Voice - Season 6True love, at least the way I see it, isn’t about accepting your partner’s ridiculous flights of fancy, but embracing them. And thus, even/especially in the moments when reality television confounds and befuddles me, I reach out and embrace it. (Occasionally, I even clap along, because that’s what I wanna do.)

So how does this apply to tonight’s installment of The Voice?

Well, we had coach Adam Levine very seriously delcaring that he’s “trying to perpetuate the idea that singing is the ability to engage a crowd.” (If so, go forth and download Bill Maher and Bill O’Reilly’s duets album!) We had Blake Shelton delivering some of his worst line-reading in his six seasons of reality TV “panelization” by telling us the Audra McLaughlin-vs.-Alaska-&-Madi Battle Round was “the toughest decision maybe I’ve ever made.” (#sixofone) We even had Golden Retriever puppies frolicking in a field of wheat at sunset — and it made me feel some type of way.

Before I get too far down that road, let me jump to a ranking of each of tonight’s Battles from least- to most-promising winner. (And bear in mind I’d have ranked this MUCH differently if Music Box and Tess Boyer had rightfully won their showdowns.)

6. Team Blake: Audra McLaughlin defeats Alaska & Madi on Linda Ronstadt’s “When Will I Be Loved” | Like a really terrible fourth-grade classroom with an innefective subsititute teacher, this Battle was noisy and hectic to the point of cacophonous. Was Adam being serious about wishing he’d had a steal left to salvage whichever act went home?

5. Team Shakira: Deja Hall defeats Music Box on The Bangles’ “Eternal Flame” (Music Box stolen by Usher) | Deja had some sweet moments, but Shaki’s advisor Miranda Lambert was right: The teenager’s sound is still immature. Music Box — who needs to rethink that absurdist-comedy stage name, especially now that Blake is refering to her as “Miss Box” — dug deep into the performance even when it wasn’t her turn to sing — and thankfully reaped the rewards via Adam’s steal. The “cry” in MB’s voice and her palpable connection to the lyrics has me wondering if she might exceed early under-the-radar expectations. Her last-place position in TVLine’s poll, however, has me thinking otherwise.

4. Team Usher: Bria Kelly defeats Tess Boyer on Janis Joplin’s “Piece of My Heart” (Tess stolen by Blake) | Hands down, Bria was in my Top 5 vocalists from the Blind Auditions — and I’m happy she advanced tonight, based on that “Steamroller Blues” performance alone. That said, the teenager turned the oven up to 500 for the entirety of “Piece of My Heart” — resulting in moments of aggressive overbaked-ness that lacked the dynamics and gut-wrenchingness of Janis’ incomparable original. Tess — whose acknowledgment of her own inherent pageanty-ness made me kind of adore her — really put some unexpected gusto into her vocal, without hitting some of the questionable notes that Bria did. Which of these ladies will wind up going further? It’ll be interesting to find out — especially since each of ‘em ended up with the right coach for her skill set.

3. Team Usher: Madilyn Paige defeats Tanner James on Taylor Swift’s “Everything Has Changed” | The Provost, Utah-based teenagers delivered terrific, innocent romantic chemistry on La Swift’s dreamy ditty — and mentor Jill Scott gave the kind of deft play-by-play that makes me think she deserves a second look at filling Cee Lo’s char in Season 7. Madilyn’s combo of ethereal mood and powerhouse pipes could turn her into a major dark horse, but it’s a shame that Tanner, who faced an uphill battle by getting saddled with the harmony line for almost the entire chorus, didn’t earn a reprieve from Shakira.

2. Team Adam: Josh Kaufman defeats Austin Ellis on Pharrell’s “Happy” | A total blowout in terms of pitch, tone and passion. I’m not sure the rhythmic vibe of Pharrell’s smash totally suited Josh, either, but his high note coming off the bridge and that final set of harmonies were Rated D…for Dayum!

1. Team Adam: Dawn & Hawkes defeats Josh Murley on Stealers Wheel’s “Stuck in the Middle With You” (Josh stolen by Shakira) | Blake pooh-poohed the lack of “oh my gosh moment” in this Battle, but I really dug the languid beauty of Dawn and Hawkes’ vocal blend. (Or maybe I’m just a bigger fan of “Stuck in the Middle” than I thought?) There’s just something smooth and warm and slightly intoxicating about ‘em — like brandy (the alcohol, not the uni-monikered R&B chanteuse). And while Josh didn’t leave as much of an impression, Shaki’s last-second steal provided him with a sweetly humanizing moment, so I’m not gonna argue his being salvaged.

And with that, I turn things over to you. What did you think of the third set of Season 6 Battle Rounds? Did anyone deserve to get the Save and didn’t? Who gave the best overall vocal of the night? Take our poll, then sound off in the comments!

1. Kelsey says:

I liked Madilyn and Tess the most… and I liked looking at Tanner. lol

• Dresdin says:

Usher obviously still isn’t fully familiar with what works and what doesn’t on this show, otherwise he never would have paired up two such appealing teen singers…. Tanner could have far, as I’m sure teen girls would have gotten behind him.

• Blumpkin says:

Did anyone else think that this was the best Battle of this season so far? So much better than last week’s episodes, which is weird because The Voice usually leads with their best stuff first.

• bobsaccamanna says:

I agree it was the best battle of the night, and yeah I also agree the Voice usually showcases the stronger singers first. Obviously not this year because if that were the case, Christina Grimmie would have performed by now. My guess is they saved her for last to get some momentum into the next round. And I’m sorry but just like we Jacquie Lee last season, I don’t get the Bria love, she did not do a good job singing Janis, she doesn’t have the maturity to pull a song like that off, and screaming louder isn’t soulful.

• waterbug says:

i think he was expecting one of his colleagues to steal Tanner. He looked perplexed that it didn’t happen.

• Tom22 says:

I really enjoyed all of the performances. Very few “grandstanding” and a lot of good music. I saw different sorts of promise in each and every contestant and I’ll see where they go, with the excellent coaching they’ll get.

I didn’t see any one or two that leaped out at me like “i got to hear more” but over the seasons on the voice I more often surprised with who I end up really liking than know at this stage.

All of the arrangements made it really a pleasure to watch. The beat and rhythm and restrained but alert and perfectly timed back ups was awesome. You can have a great drum performance with just a snare … if you have an ear for it. Anyway, the songs never lagged, never felt dead and by far , most importantly, the flattered the singers on stage in ways we could always hear their voices , they never fought the accompaniment but there was enough there to keep them even more inspired.

I’m looking forward to the season as it goes on even if I can’t point out any one singer I feel is particularly going to be the ones that interest me.. I”LL Find out as it goes ! : ) .. and enjoyed every minute of last night … good fun entertainment.. no thought of work, no feeling I wanted to skip ahead etc.

2. Kaba says:

You LIKED Dawn and Hawkes? Okay…
    Meanwhile I needed a beer…about 12 of them so that I can forget about how boring that performance was. Oh wait….I barely remember it to begin with.
    Music Box….should have won for the sake of sending Deja to a coach that would actually make her better.
    Tess and Bria…poor Bria is gonna be known as the screamer before the live shows even start. And I don’t even think she screamed aside from one note. Glad Tess was stolen, they both deserved to win for different reasons.
    Audra and A&M….idrc :/
    Josh and Austin, Josh is just lovely.
    I would have ranked both of Usher’s battles higher..neither at the very top, that spot is for Josh. But definitely 2&3rd

• OhMy says:

Yea, but Music Box just might have the most annoying voice in the history of the Voice.

• Kaba says:

Erin Martin still has the girl beat. Nonetheless, that was torture.

• debi says:

I agree!

• Angie_Overrated says:

Not when we had Kat Robichaud last year. But I guess that was more “bad singing” than it was “annoying.”

• OhMy says:

Yes — Music Box sounds like Fran Drescher singing.

• Angie_Overrated says:

HA! Harsh. I don’t entirely agree, but that’s funny.

• HTGR says:

I thought her voice sounded pretty normal and decent in tone so I don’t get that comparison whatsoever, BUT I will say that it sounded awfully affected to me and I didn’t think it worked for that song at all and I definitely see why Shakira went with Deja. I’m not with Michael on the Music Box was robbed of the win at all. There is some good stuff to Music Box but IMO since needs to no be so affected in the way she sings, it sounds a bit forced and fake.

• Stormy says:

To me she sounded like my suv when the front suspension went out.

• will says:

Really? We had Nick Hawk in that season and it’s Kat’s voice you call annoying?

Yup! :)

• will says:

I mean I understand having taste issues – heck, your name is harping on a legitimately great contestant you didn’t like from a year ago, on a show that isn’t this one, and it wasn’t even an accurate assessment then – but at least try to not be so clearly biased if you’re going to go off insulting people. You didn’t even WATCH a good chunk of last season as I recall – just came here asking if anything was worth watching and complaining about Kat as if she was the worst contestant ever when she clearly, objectively was not, not even in her own season, let alone across all of them.

• Eric D says:

Kat Robichaud! That’s the name I was trying to remember. That is who Bria Kelly reminds me of. Everything she does just seems fake to me. It felt to me like she was just trying to be a rocker chick instead of just being a rocker chick. She butchered the hell out of that song.

• Justin says:

There’s never any “moments” on this show compared to Idol. Where is Lovesong, Billie Jean, I Will Always Love You, Summertime, In A Dream, House Of The Rising Sun, etc?

• LG says:

Don’t forget Nelly’s Echo – another horrible stage name!

• Emily says:

Completely agree about Dawn and Hawkes?? I mean, Slezak, come on!!!! They were soooo boring! Really boring! Josh was absolutely number one. I am still amazed by him and his pitch. He has such control. He was obviously the clear winner. But, Bria and Tess did very well also. I would pick Tess over Bria, but that’s simply personal preference. Both are good singers and did well tonight. Everyone else was just there.

• HTGR says:

I think it was more the song that worked out a touch boring for them all. Dawn and Hawkes were exciting in the addition in addition to being good.

• RobNJ says:

Everytiime I hear that song I think of the scene in Reservoir Dogs.

• MamaLis says:

Yes. Agree and Agree. I haven’t been totally tuned into the Voice but what I saw last night – Dawn & Hawks, Really? Josh was set-up like he wasn’t going to connect so I was really listening and note-for-note, that Dude’s voice (I guess he’s the “Hawk”) was hallow compared to Josh!

They’re a cute little ditty but NOT for Prime Time.

• bobsaccamanna says:

Bad song choice by Adam but yeah, Dawn and Hawkes were my favorites from last night’s battles as well

3. debi says:

I liked Madilyn best tonight, and Audra was the worst out of the contestants who advanced. I think Blake should have picked Alaska and Madi. That is all.

4. M. says:

I recall a certain Slezak calling Madilyn battle rounds fodder ;)
    I’m rooting for the girl.
    My ideal live team for Usher would consist of: Bria Kelly, Madilyn Paige, and either Morgan Wallen or Melissa Jimenez

5. analythinker says:

I think Audra might be this season’s Holly Tucker… promising 4-chair turner, but not so strong on subsequent performances…

• Angie_Overrated says:

I thought Audra was pretty good. It was a stupid song choice and unfortunately she had to compete against a duo, which i think is always more of a challenge cuz she’s probably trying to push her volume at the expense of form. I haven’t counted her out yet.

• analythinker says:

I just don’t think she has the best pitch, I recall her trailing off a bit on her audition (so I was surprised at 4-chair turns). She will probably follow Holly’s trajectory in terms of song choices… I sure hope not, though.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Huh, I didn’t hear any pitch problems, but that’s not to say she didn’t have any. Are you sure she wasn’t scooping? I’ll listen again. The two with the biggest pitch problems I heard tonight were Dawn from D+H and Music Box. Those two were kind of painful.

• analythinker says:

If the studio version of D&H is good, then it could be in-ear issue that messed up the harmony, we’ll see. And I would say Audra has better pitch than some others, but her runs were not precise or that pleasant to my ears.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Don’t think so because Dawn was awful in the rehearsals too. Girl has no ear and can’t sing. She sucks and has no business still being in the competition.
            I relistened to Audra just now, and I hear what you’re talking about now. She was under on one of the big notes, and yeah, you’re right. Her tendency is def on the flat side of things. That being said, she was miles better than the duo.

• Timmah says:

I don’t think country is what her voice is suited for. I think she’d be better off with a coach other than Blake.

6. Kimbo says:

How I ranked tonight (in terms of who won and who’s still here)
    Madilyn Paige
    Josh K
    Bria and Tess for 3rd
    Deja
    Josh
    Dirt
    Bacteria
    JLo’s “I Luh Ya Papi”
    Dawn and Hawkes…

Seriously, D&H are not interesting at all.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I had no idea what JLo’s I luh ya papi was. I thought you were having a seizure when you went to type something else. So I searched, and yeah, that’s how you spell it. And it is right where it belongs: below dirt and bacteria but ranked higher than Dawn and Hawkes.

• Timmah says:

They are ok singers, but they seem a bit full of themselves. Ok, a lot full of themselves, and way more than is warranted by their talent.

• MamaLis says:

Ya, that’s the other thing!!!! They seemed WAY into themselves. Like… disproportionately so, in relation to their talent. Ugh!

I would have MUCH rather seen them go home and someone like the cute little buttery-voiced Tanner from Utah, stay.

• Name This Tune says:

LMAO.

7. As ALWAYS, Michael, Josh is EASILY the front runner this season. Your ridiculous prejudices come through as ALWAYS in your listings. (I.E., if the guys isn’t someone you’re attracted too, you vote them lower. I have NEWS for you, Josh is SEXY & so is his voice). SHAME ON YOU.

Anyone who names their kid “Music Box” needs to be shot & their kid placed into foster care LONG before their kid can even SPEAK.

Other than Josh & Sisaundra, who GIVES a F*&K? NO ONE should want an “Alex & Sierra” retread”,and frankly I pity anyone who thinks otherwise.

This season will be between Josh, Ssuandra, & some random misfit.

• Kaba says:

You missed the part where Music Box is actually just a nickname or stage name.
      Nonetheless…I agree that Josh has no reason being below Dawn and ZZzzzZzzzzzzzz

• LB says:

I can’t get my head out of the gutter over the nickname/stage name Music Box. Who would ever pick that?

• You say that, yet I’ve known people in life who are LITERALLY named things like “Influenza”. Seriously, KILL YOURSELF if you plan on doing things like that! That’s not a cultural thing, that’s a “I hate kids” decision!

Jesus, I HATE kids, and yet even I would NEVER be that cruel!

• Kaba says:

I don’t think she named her child music box…her nickname is music box…or more specifically her stage name.

• Paris says:

Yes. Our city manager’s name is Jim Schue. And a girl I went to school with was named Female [pronounced Fem-ah-lee] because that’s what it said on her bracelet in the hospital when she was born.

• Guest says:

Are you the pot or the kettle? Crying about someone’s alleged prejudices because his opinion doesn’t line up with your own opinion that you declare to be fact? What makes Josh the frontrunner on a show that is heavily slanted toward female singers? This isn’t American Idol. There’s nothing that I can say about you when your post says it all.

• Eric D says:

I liked Josh the best last night but if Michael isn’t attracted to him I can understand why. I found Josh’s over sized melon fairly distracting.

8. Angie_Overrated says:

Oh man, Dawn and Hawkes?! Really, Slezak?! NO!!!! They were so… bad for lack of a better word. The guy was weak and the girl just sucks. All of the errant harmonies were coming from the top line, and given that there was only one woman in there, we know who the culprit is, Dawn.

And can I get some love for Ms. Box? That was the hardest I’ve ever laughed watching this show. My husband and I were giggling for at least 60 seconds after that comment from Blake.

Tess I think beat Bria. I don’t feel the love for this Bria girl that many of you other folks hear. I just simply don’t like her. Tess had a much more pleasant tone and she’s hot, which never hurts.

• Kaba says:

x100000 on the Dawn and Hawkes.
      I refreshed the page to make sure my computer wasn’t just jumbling up the order.
      Nope…he legit has them at the top. Okay

• Angie_Overrated says:

I mean, hey, the heart likes what the heart likes. I don’t get it AT ALL, but hey, they did something for our trusted music critic. How or why I will never understand, but that’s cool.

• Kaba says:

Imma leave it at an “amen sista”
          I could say more, but it’d just be redundant.
          Nobody agrees with the man tonight. I’m just going to return to watching Madilyn and Tanner look unreasonably mushy.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Madilyn was not bad. I liked her more tonight than I did from her audition. The highlight of these battle rounds was Blake calling Music Box “Ms. Box.” I stand by that statement. That is something I will remember all the way to my death bed.

• Michael Slezak says:

I accept your “Amen Sista” with a hearty chuckle and the knowledge that @mdoolittle will let me have it when we tape Reality Check on Friday.

• Kaba says:

She wasn’t great, but my eyes lit up with money signs sooner than papa Cowell’s would when I saw the two perform together.
            I thoroughly support the sacking of Dawn and Snores for the sake of making Madilyn and Tanner a duo instead.

• The Beach says:

Their voices did blend together beautifully.

• MamaLis says:

It’s always exciting when our Host makes a surprise appearance. :-)

• bobsaccamanna says:

I don’t know what you all are hearing but I love them too, I think their harmonies are spot on and I like Dawn’s voice, but, I am attracted to quirky female vocals, and judging from reading Slezak through the years, I think he is too. I guess it’s all a matter of taste, I don’t get all the love for Bria at all, I can’t stand singers that have to force the passion, instead of feeling it come up from their gut. All those wannabee’s should take some time and listen to a little Susan Tedeschi, they could learn a lot about singing that kind of style. He doesn’t need to be screeched, it needs to be felt. Just my opinion

• gracelessk says:

They are very coffee house in the way that are excellent background music that you can easily tune out while you and a friend gossip over lattes and scones. On national TV, it’s a bit of a snore…

• HTGR says:

Bria brought what the song needed. Tess was too smooth and bland for that song, no fire and rock and grit. You seem to be too caught up on your classical training thing again and not getting past that and looking at the grit and fire needed for rock.

• Angie_Overrated says:

But I love the grit and fire of Kat Perkins, who is also a rocker chick. You can have grit and fire and still be singing well without horrible contrivances and throaty yelling. Rock doesn’t necessarily equal unhealthy vocal production.

• HTGR says:

We will have to disagree. I get the impression it’s more that you just don’t one style of doing it and only like it when things are handled at least a bit in a vocally smooth and vocal instructor sorta way. Bria didn’t seem contrived to me, Music Box did however and even Tess just in the sense that she didn’t seem to really connect to it even if her style itself wasn’t contrived.

9. OhMy says:

(It’s actually the Everly Brothers song — Linda did have a hit wight, but . . .)

10. Ioanna says:

I miss Christina.

11. Elena says:

Dawn and Hawkes as the #1 battle winner of the night???? That song was just boring. I was so bored I stopped listening halfway through. Josh Kaufman is by far one of the best singers that performed tonight. His tone is not only raspy and strong, but he has an insane command of pitch that elevates his vocal performances. I liked Madilyn’s song, but her tentativeness caused her to drift off pitch a few times, and Bria is good but a bit over the top for my taste. That being said, I would have understood one of those three performers being ranked first but not the dull duet. Sorry.

12. Kaba says:

Onto an entirely different annoyance.
    Adam giving Josh Murley his ever-so-famous “thanks for stopping by” speech. He might as well pay for their plane ticket home if he’s practically going to tell them “You did your best…I’m still not going to pick you, but I’ll act like I’m encouraging you” every season.
    Seriously, there is a list of people who’ve been done so unreasonably wrong by Adam and that speech he loves to give.
    Murley, Champlin, Casey Weston…feel free to add more members.

• analythinker says:

I’d agree, but what do you expect? He (or any other coach, for that matter), will do wrong by some people on their team, inevitably, because this is a game.

• Kaba says:

It isn’t a matter of me being mad that he was another coach doing one of his lesser members wrong, but that he’s hardly trying to be nice about it.

• analythinker says:

I’m not defending him, but perhaps he just doesn’t like to sugarcoat? Reality does bite, they say.
          But hey, Josh Murley is still around!

• Kaba says:

Reality does bite, but then again, other coaches have been able to properly dismissed/heighten their other members without nonchalantly throwing some of their own under the bus. Quite well actually. And the problem is he does sugarcoat. Re-watch the finale and his speech to Will Champlin, tried to sugarcoat the crap out of that.

• analythinker says:

Hm, you’re right on that Will case. Maybe I just don’t care that much about the way he does it. Except when he throws my faves under the bus, but he’s usually so predictable with his battle, I’ll give him that. I especially liked the rare case when he paired Nicole Nelson with Loren Allred. I was sure he would pick Nicole, but Loren blew her outta the water.

• as says:

Adam is a used car salesman…he gets the contestants to pick him and then throws them under the bus. Why any over 35 woman would ever pick Adam is beyond me. Worst Adam dump was Preston (last name) That guy was amazing.

• MamaLis says:

Ya, Preston was awesome! Though I have to believe we’ll see Preston at some point in the future. He was too good to not do something.

Agree on Adam. When he said he’d chose Madelyn, I thought, “Of COURSE you would, Adam!!”

You know who is really starting to shine as a Coach – consistently – is Usher.

#1. Jill Scott
        #2. Jill Scott
        #3. He just appears to be a good listener, good Coach, good ideas. AND… as a black man, I think he DOES support strong, more mature women. It’s a different mentality. He can handle, and fully understands, that there’s greatness to be had in a mature woman. (Unlike you-know-who!)

13. Ryan P says:

I predicted all of the winners right after the names of the battlers were introduced . . . I wish they weren’t so predictable. With that being said, I have to disagree that Music Box deserved to win her battle, but that may only be because I found her voice rather unpleasant. I will say that I was happy that Josh Murley was stolen; I don’t remember him at all from the Blinds, but his tone was awesome, and he really gave Adam’s pet duo a run for their money. I loved Audra’s initial audition because of her cool raspy sound, but then tonight it seemed like her tone completely changed. Josh Murley, Josh Kaufman, Tess, and Deja were my stand-outs tonight.

14. lynn says:

I thought Dawn & Hawks lost.

Also thought Bria rightfully won. Sorry, you don’t sing Janis like a pageant star. I don’t care how pretty Tess’ tone is. (I’m sure Blake will find some good country songs for her though.) Kind of annoyed that we’re going to have to go through another season of “she’s not screaming” though. She’s not…she does growl though.

Madilyn’s pretty cute. Team Ush darkhorse.

Audra is Blake’s only chance at a win.

Deja’s adorable too. Upset Usher stole Music Box. We needed to let that name go.

Loved Josh Kaufman’s voice.

• Angie_Overrated says:

My problem with Bria is that my vocal cords physically hurt in empathy when I hear her sing. There’s something so very wrong with the way she produces her tone. She’s young and can get away with it for the time being, but those bad habits will catch up to her quickly. I said the same thing about Adele the first time I heard Rollin’ in the Deep before I even knew who she was. Lo and behold. vocal polyp surgery a few years later. She sounds awesome now though.

• lynn says:

Why is it so hard to believe that some people have rough, growly voices? Everyone said the same thing about Jacquie last season, but she was one of two contestants who didn’t lose her voice. And you can’t say it was because she was young..because James, Cole, and Matt are young too.

Anyway, if she is hurting herself, I’m sure Usher will help her. I’ll have to watch her more, but growl doesn’t automatically equal hurting your voice.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Well, I teach voice, so I know a thing or two about this. And I never said that about Jacquie last year. Her technique was not terrible, but she just had to grow a bit skills wise.
          And I’m not claiming that a growl necessarily hurts your voice. There are ways to do it correctly (see Haley Reinhart) and ways to do it by slamming your vocal cords together (see Bria Kelly or early Adele).

• lynn says:

I know vocal technique as well. I would say it’s pretty tough to tell how Bria sings when we’ve essentially only seen her for one and a half performances.

I do happen to know who her vocal coach is/was before the show. And, I’ll just say I doubt she was taught to do anything that’s going to hurt her.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Completely disagree. A skilled vocal technician can hear problems within a few seconds. Two full songs is more than enough of a sample to come to the conclusion I came to. Without even looking at her, I knew she was clenching her jaw or doing something weird with her tongue. And of course, when we get the closeups, you can see she was doing both.

• Angelina says:

She doesn’t talk like that. I feel like Bria should be losing her voice mid-song every time.

• bobsaccamanna says:

Obviously you know about vocals Angie, and I agree completely about Bria.

15. M. says:

currently reviewing Bria and Tess’s battle to figure out if Tess was behind a beat…or Bria was ahead one.
    It appears Tess came in late, if she did then I more than thoroughly support Bria’s win. Can’t be behind beats and crap. It sounded like Bria just shut her up.
    If Bria came in early…Tess ought to have won then.
    That was weird.

16. Angie_Overrated says:

We can’t go tonight without mentioning how adorable Dejavu is. She looks like a Disney princess. A terrified Disney princess, but you get my point. So bleepin’ cute.

• The Beach says:

She is adorable, no doubt. She just needs a bit of confidence and some vocal lessons. The talent is there.

17. Davey says:

I like Josh Murley but I don’t see him going far in the competition. Madilyn looks just like Blake’s country singer from two seasons ago.

• Timmah says:

Yep, Danielle Bradberry. Has the same kind of quiet confidence too. I think she could go far.

• MC says:

The comparison is good, except that Madilyn won’t be widely perceived as “just” a country artist. I wouldn’t be surprised if Madilyn quietly keeps advancing and gradually builds a solid fan base. Madilyn is kind of the anti-Jacquie to me. I like this season because none of the “good” singers annoy me. I could barely watch two or three of the top contenders last season.

• bobsaccamanna says:

I agree completely about Madilyn, I think she could be this season’s Caroline Pennell, and maybe even go farther if she doesn’t get sabotaged with terrible song choices.Still waiting on Christina Grimme, and no I am not one of her youtube followers, but, in my opinion, her audition was easily the best of this season and maybe the best of all the seasons, if not the best, right up there near the top.

18. gracelessk says:

Bria gave that the Joplin-like dirtiness that isn’t always pretty. I love Tess’s voice, but that is a rock song, not an R&B song. So, yes, when you have someone feeling the energy and giving the grit next to someone who is doing smooth runs, I can see how you can come to your conclusion, Michael. However, give me Bria’s not so pretty version any damn day!!

19. Quinn Carson says:

Dawn and Hawkes battle was awesome!

• akillesheel says:

Yay I’m not the only one who thought so! They just have this sound that makes me feel lazy and content, who needs a ‘moment?’ They sang beautifully.

• Quinn Carson says:

Woah woah– Did not realize the less than stellar reception the battle got. Now that I look at I’m surprised I wasn’t getting a bunch of replies about how I have terrible musical preferences.

20. HTGR says:

Hmm I gotta disagree with your thinking who should have won those two rounds.
    NO WAY Tess wins over Bria! Seriously come on, she didn’t have the grit and connection, it was too smooth, no fight and bite, not enough rock. She has a voice and is good, but blander than Bria and just didn’t hit this song with the sort of thing Bria brought to it that it needed. No way, no how did Tess win!
    And I definitely had Deja winning over Music Box. yeah Music Box has a voice, but she was too artificial and affected at the end of the day for me and it really didn’t fit that song at all. Deja kept it more real and with more of a Susanna Hoffs vibe.

21. HTGR says:

My favs of the night: Bria, Josh Kaufman, Dawn&Hakwes and Deja.

• HTGR says:

Although I suppose I’m counting Dawn&Hawkes so high in part because I was thinking of their audition more when I typed that. The song was a little bland for them tonight perhaps.
      Maybe the honorable mention to Madilyn.

22. Jenny says:

I just laugh at the mention of “Music Box” lol

I feel like Shakiras team is lowering in quality because she’s choosing weaker voices as winners and stealing average fellows. Come on Shakira!!!

Love usher, his whole style and approach he knows what he’s doin!!!
    How cute was the “Everything Has Changed” performance. So innocent I loved it.

23. Jim Dorsey says:

Yep. Agreed (as usual). Bria, whom I’m a fan of, was harsh to the point of strident. Tess was like silk. Tanner got screwed. Josh was actually better than D+H, whom I like as well. Appreciate the honesty on Bria. She’d better figure out something fast, or unmet high expectations will blow her up!

24. slush says:

Even though Adam chose a terrible song, I’m still rooting for Dawn & Hawkes because of their perfect audition. Adam better do better by them in the song department. I had to chime in because they seem to have a fair share of critics above. Josh K. is a marvel, but the song choice didn’t give much opportunity to shine. I didn’t like Music Box (hard to bring myself to even type that name). Bria has a good voice, but I find it hard to listen to because her grit often sounds like sounds like she’s straining. It sounds painful. That on top of her blasting at full volume, although to her credit, tonight’s performance was better than her audition on that front. Better but not cured. Will Usher train her out of bad habits?

25. Mikko says:

Very, very good night.
    I thought Madilyn’s and Tanner’s pair was the best, and I would have wish the steal for Tanner. I also enjoyed a lot Audra’s and Alaska*s and Madi’s performances and would have wished steal there also.

Somehow I can’t get Shakira’s steals, or even decisions.(although I like her as a person)

To me, Tess and Music Box were winners also. I am looking forward to see, how Tess will develop.

I am impressed by the songs they are picking for the contestants. We got to hera Bob Dylan! “Stuck In The MIddle With You” was one of the nicest choices. Dawn & Hawkes sound very ear friendly, and they look like cousins of Alex & Sierra from XF3.

(And the dream is: When are we going to have Bod Dylan thene sings night in AI or The Voice? He has written such a grazy amount of beautiful and groovy songs)

26. Titina says:

I think Josh is good but he is certainly not all that. He is the typical Team Adam contestant.
    I really hope he does NOT win.
    I do agree with you that Bria is totally overrated. She is screaming too much lately. She is constantly over singing and that gets on my nerves.

Dawn & Hawkes are just ok to me. Nothing special. Poor copy of Alex & Sierra.

My faves are still Clarissa and Stevie Jo..

27. MamaLis says:

It broke my heart that Tanner didn’t get stolen. His voice was like “buttah” and the kid did everything right! He really tapped into the emotions and delivered perfectly! I was shocked that no one stole him.

There always American Idol……… ;)

28. Nit Picker Jr says:

Dawn & Hawkes. They just make me think of Simon & Garfunkel at their best, so I’m rooting for them to win it all. But (looking at Adam here), they so need a better song than Stuck In The Middle… Other than that, Josh can do better. Bria needs to temper her output better. The rest is… nah. Fillers. Sorry, just not feeling it.
    I need Si-si-saundra!, Dawn & Hawkes and maybe Josh K as the top three. Please. Thanks.

29. InMyPJs says:

I think Tanner should have been stolen and Music Box…really Usher? I thought he was looking for someone that’s more unique on his team. Doesn’t he have several singers like Music Box already?

30. Bonquisha says:

I loved Bria! I don’t get all the hate she’s getting. I love the
    grit in her voice. I think it is unfair that she is labeled a “screamer” even before the life shows.

• Viajero says:

I completely agree with you. But then, I get the feeling that those same people would insist that Ann Wilson screams too much.

31. Viajero says:

I tend to generally agree with you for the most part, but not on this episode. I thought Deja vs. Music Box was a mess and far inferior to the other battles. .My ranking of the remaining 5 would be:

5. Alaska & Madi vs. Audra
    4. Dawn & Hawks vs. Josh M.
    3. Austin vs. Josh H:
    2. Madilyn vs Tanner
    1. Bria vs. Tess

32. Hilary says:

Madilyn and Tanner were AMAZING. If they don’t really feel something for each other then they are great actors. I had tears in my eyes. I’m so disappointed that the duet isn’t available on iTunes.

33. Kimlyn says:

Madilyn Paige is by far my favorite on The Voice Season 6. Her voice is so beautiful and captivating and draws me in to the emotions and words of the songs to penetrate my soul.