NCIS Boss Previews the New Orleans Spin-Off Episodes, Tony's Big Trip and a New Finale Plan

NCIS New OrleansThis Tuesday at 8/7c, CBS’ NCIS kicks off a two-part trip to New Orleans, where it will introduce viewers to another team — one headed up by TV vet Scott Bakula — and hopefully pave the way for a new spin-off to premiere this fall. NCIS boss Gary Glasberg, who developed the prospective off-shoot with Mark Harmon, shared with TVLine a preview of the Big Easy adventure, as well as updated us on the status of the mothership’s Season 11 finale, which needed to shift gears in the wake of a real-life tragedy.

RELATED | Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

TVLINE | First, tell me the genesis of this spin-off idea. Am I right that it just started off as, “Hey, maybe we’ll set an episode in New Orleans…”?
I always sit down during hiatus and talk to Mr. Harmon about the ideas that I have for the coming season, and this started off as what was originally just going to be a sweeps two-parter. He looked at me and said, “We should do this as a spinoff,” and next thing I knew we were going in with a very colorful pitch that involved music and imagery and all kinds of stuff, and people got excited, and here we are.

TVLINE | When you talk about the music and imagery — and in the promos we see Bakula doing some form of an accent — is there a fine line to toe, between giving the episodes a distinct flavor and possibly brushing up against what some people might feel is parody?
I hope it doesn’t feel like parody. At the end of the day, the city of New Orleans is a huge part of what drew us to the idea and why we wanted to do it in the first place. We want to treat New Orleans like a character, and that was why we wanted to shoot on actual locations, and in the French Quarter, and really make an effort to depict it as best we could.

TVLINE | So if it goes to series, where are you going to film it?
You know, I’m not sure yet. It really comes down to the network and the studio and business, and there are lots and lots of influences. But I feel like no matter what, you have to spend a certain amount of time [filming] down there in order to make it work, in order to continue to inject the color and the flavor that we’re trying to capture in the story.

RELATED | NCIS Exclusive: Kelli Williams Cast in Important Episode About Sexual Assault in the Navy

TVLINE | Now, who on Gibbs’ team Crescent Cityalready knows Bakula’s Agent Dwayne Cassius Pride?
It’s suggested that there’s a really strong tie that goes all the way back to Mike Franks. Gibbs and Pride were probies under Franks and a group of other agents — they were referred to as the Fed 5 — and this Agent McLane, who had become a Congressman since, ends up getting killed, and that’s the genesis of the story.

TVLINE | Who all goes on the field trip, who doesn’t and why?
A tremendous portion of this story happens in Washington, so I needed really significant anchors in both places. So Tony and McGee and Fornell and Vance hold down the fort in Washington, while Gibbs pulls Bishop along [to New Orleans].

TVLINE | What’s the bullet on the members of Pride’s team — Agents Christopher Lasalle and “Merri” Brody, and Dr. Loretta Wade?
Lasalle, played by Lucas Black, in my mind is kind of “Alabama’s Steve McQueen.” He handles himself with a fantastic degree of calm and ease, he’s terrific with the action Crescent Cityand he’s a lot of fun. Brody, played by Zoe McLellan (JAG), is confident and cool and direct and strong. CCH Pounder (The Shield) is just a natural [as Wade]. She comes onscreen and you listen to every word she says. And then to have Scott Bakula as Pride, with his appeal and warmth and fun…. I couldn’t honestly have asked for much more in terms of a group.

TVLINE | How would you say Pride differs from Gibbs?
Oh, they’re incredibly different. Pride doesn’t hide his feelings in any way. There’s no wall going on there in terms of what he’s thinking, what he wants to do. It’s all very much on the surface, and there’s an accessibility and a fun to him that Gibbs doesn’t show. So although, in theory, the characters kind of grew up at the same time, they’re very, very different people. Also, Pride is married and trying to work out some issues with his wife (Person of Interest‘s Paige Turco), which is very real in the world of NCIS.

RELATED | CBS Sets Season Finale Dates for NCIS, Big Bang Theory, The Good Wife and Others

TVLINE | Now looking ahead to May, how is the season finale shaping up? Last time we spoke, you thought it might be Tony-centric-ish. But then Ralph Waite passed….
You know what, the penultimate episode is a fantastic story for Tony that actually sends him to France, and we’re really excited about that. It’s sort of a Three Days of the Condor story that is action-packed and fun with lots of twists and turns. And that leads us into the finale, which I’m co-writing with Gina Monreal, and although it has a significant crime story happening, that honestly turns out to be our homage to Ralph Waite, to Jackson Gibbs. Mark has been talking about it and invested in it since the day we got the news, and it’s important to us to give Ralph Waite the farewell he deserves.

1. G says:

Complaints abour Ziva in 3, 2,1…..

• Q says:

That’s obvious, 3 hot nights in Paris with her….with her picture under pillow :D

So, are you happy now?

• Pete says:

And there is no reason why you shouldn’t believe that.
        The rest of us just have no need to see it on a crime drama show.

• John NYC says:

Except they DID a night in Paris and were so unimpressed by the experience they never went that route again…

It happens and they moved on.

• Erin says:

If they did have “hot nights” in Paris, (of which we have absolutely no actual proof) and if it was so hot and they are sooooo in love, then why did both of them start seeing someone else in the next season? I just think that the writers teased the possibility to entice tiva fans, but didn’t actually conclusively show us the deed, so that they could keep stringing both tiva fans and antis along.

• SS says:

When Ziva comes back I will watch the show again. NCIS LA I still watch

• Ydf says:

Why is Bishop everywhere? Don’t like her character. Not fitting. To make us believe in her, our loved characters seem to have less time. Maybe the New Orleans team can keep her

• big wheel says:

I wish someone would keep her I shut it off after 10 min;s of watching the N.O. series it was terrible I also stopped recording it Bishop stink the new lady in N.O. is better than Bishop.

2. Joni says:

Thanks for the Q&A, Matt. Only fitting that the ‘NCIS’ season finale pay tribute to Mr Waite and Jackson Gibbs. There have been a few perfect castings on the show over the years (Mr Charles Durning as Cpl Ernie Yost in ‘Call of Silence’ and Mr RJ Wagner as “Senior” come to mind) and Mr Waite was definitely one of them.

• LoriG says:

SO happy they are doing a tribute to Ralph Waite. Have loved him since the Waltons. The rest of the season looks like the same junk we’ve been fed all season. So sad that my favorite show has collapsed into this stupidity. In my house we watched it for the humor, the love, and the thrill. The last two are totally gone this year.

• Tonyfan Ncis says:

I agree with you about the whole season, Lori. There is nothing that great about this once-great show. But I’m glad that they are doing the tribute; although making it the focus of the finale seems a bit much, imo.

• as524 says:

agree on the tribute to RW/Jackson – the actor and character definitely deserve it. Just wish GM wasn’t the one co-writing with GG. Plenty of better writers on that staff.

GG has great story ideas & really crappy follow thru.

Monreal has only been able to write for ziva & tiva & has absolutely no feel for anything else on that show

3. tejasjulia says:

This sounds great, though I’m sorry the finale won’t be Tony-centric. Maybe next season.

• LoriG says:

agreed, it’s sad what they did to Tony this year. my favorite character.

• tejasjulia says:

I LOVE that they’ve brought back the Tony we had before he was destroyed over the past few seasons. This is the Tony I loved. Season 11 has been terrific so far!

• Lillian says:

I love his relationship with McGee, more brotherly; and his mentor relationship with Bishop – big difference from “babysitter,” btw. He’s still funny, but less clownish. And he’s once again the competent agent we fell in love with. He even gets some action scenes again, instead of watching someone else do all the fighting.

• Darlene says:

Amen, Lillian!

• suzi says:

i agree. Sometimes it seems I’m the only one who has no problem with this season, including the character development and changes it’s brought. It’s nice to know I’m not alone.

• mimi says:

No, you’re not alone. There are 20 million people who think like you every week.
            It’s just that we don’t need to run around whinning and bashing characters, actors, writers, tptb and anyone who doesn’t agree with us just because we want someone-who-voluntarily & freely-quit-the-show back.
            We have the real NCIS and its unique characters back. We’ve a very good new and believable character played by a really good actress. All NCIS actors don’t see their talent humiliated anymore.
            It’s more than enough for us ;)

• NoChance says:

I feel the same way, tejasjulia. The Tony we’ve been treated to in Season 11 is the Tony I remember from the 1st five seasons. Funny but not an idiot. He’s been the agent Gibbs described to Senior a few years ago – “the best young agent I’ve ever worked with” and he’s the go-to agent for Bishop when she has questions – a Senior Field Agent in more than just title again. He’s more serious and reflective and a true friend to McGee. I like him this way.

• Jane says:

This! ^ The whole Tony/Ziva arc absolutely RUINED Tony. I love that we have the real Tony back, and I think Bishop adds SO much to the series that it was missing for years. NCIS has had life breathed back into it!

• Tonyfan Ncis says:

Mine too Lori. I don’t think Tony is at all reminiscent of the Tony in seasons 1-10, any of them. He is a Tony that I don’t recognize.

• NoChance says:

You’re right, he’s not the same Tony as 1-10 but is the Tony I remember from seasons 1-5 when he was smart and funny without being dumbed down and used as laugh AT humor rather than laugh WITH humor.
          He’s a full character again not a forth of a relationship that was never really a relationship.

4. Rob says:

Interested to see the way the end of season shapes up!

5. skrable2 says:

The showrunner calls his lead actor “Mr. Harmon”? I know Harmon’s an exec producer by this point, but … really?

• Joni says:

I think it’s just a matter of respect when talking about Mark. The two developed “NOLA” together so I don’t think he’s that formal with him face to face.

• as524 says:

In public, in an interview setting – it’s very appropriate.

• MrWiggly says:

maybe you haven’t heard about this, it’s called respect for your elders. obviously Gary Glasberg understands it.

6. Very interested in what is happening both in DC & with the possible spin off. Glad they are doing a tribute to Ralph Waite. Really hoping to be done with the “Bishop Show” and hoping they get back to more of a team vibe.

7. I’m disappointed that they bumped the storyline of Tony- who is a major, central character- on the season finale , for Jackson Gibbs, who is at best a side character. I’m really not thrilled with the way Tony has gotten the shaft in stories almost this whole season.

• Milton Wedman says:

I get the distinct feeling that Michael Weatherly will not re-sign this year. I think he is done.

• Darlene says:

I think you’re wrong, Milton. But time will tell, right?

• Joni says:

I think as long as Mark Harmon is there, Michael will stay – same for Pauley & David. They started together way back in the ‘JAG’ episodes and I think they’ll all be there until the series ends.

• Darlene says:

I agree.

• Tonyfan Ncis says:

I don’t get that feeling. I think all that “we’re a big happy family” was just a good PR line.

• Q says:

Yes Tonyfan, I agree, this is PR, nothing else.
            And Michael (and others) sign for even next “thousands of series”…..because they love money.
            And that is my feeling about show, from last 2 series.
            This is not fun anymore, this is just bussiness and money.
            This is last serie for my self, I don’t want waste time anymore.

• Tonyfan Ncis says:

I kind of think you could be right Milton. the season finale could be the last we see of Tony at all. Michael Weatherly doesn’t seem too happy lately. And we never see him doing PR for the show anymore.

• as524 says:

Considering the crap being dished out by the ziva & tiva/mote fanatics on his twitter & the incessant tiva/ziva questions when ever he does do an interview, in his shoes, would YOU do publicity for the show if you could get out of it?

• BJG says:

This is so true. It’s never ending. Poor BD. The last episode had some great scenes for him and I can’t believe how inconsiderate the CdP/Ziva/Tiva fans were to keep asking about her.

And people seem to have forgotten that he has two little ones that he probably wants to spend time with.

• Jane says:

*laughs* Oh god, seriously – THIS! ^ Poor Michael. Always the death knell of a character when the writers decided to force a “canon” relationship. Thankfully Ziva is gone and Michael has the chance to really show his acting skills again. Personally, I think they all look like they’re enjoying this season a LOT more than they have been.

• TV Gord says:

He’s on The Talk fairly often promoting the show. The last time he was on last fall, he seemed very enthusiastic. What makes you think he’s not happy?

• as524 says:

the general consensus appears to be that he misses his ‘buddy’ and now realizes what he had when cdp was on the show as his ‘partner’.

Many fans believe that he’s been phoning it in since Ellie’s intro onto the show. LOL – thinking that was about the time his son was born. But hey – that doesn’t make a difference to them

• TV Gord says:

So by ‘general consensus’, you mean rampant speculation by people on message boards, based on nothing.

• Joni says:

BJG, Living on a different coast when his older son was little and flying out to see him on weekends I think Michael doesn’t want to miss what he did back then. I quite admire him for putting his family before his career.

• Jerri says:

Didn’t the whole cast (sans Cote) re-sign for 2 more years last year?

• Tonyfan Ncis says:

no, PP, SM, MW and DM have expiring contracts this year.

• Jerri says:

You’re right! They signed 2-year contracts in 2012. Gosh, has it already been 2 years..? Geez. But I’m sure they’ll re-sign again for at least one more year. CBS renewed the show early and it’s still doing well in ratings.

• mimi says:

Last year Michael and Mark got a raise of their salary, so maybe they also re-negotiated and signed a new contract.
            Michael did lots of press in S11 and last time we saw him he was very happy and excited about upcoming episodes… he’s sad only in the eyes of people who want to see him sad/desperate because a cast member quit the show 8 months ago.

• John NYC says:

He’s made repeated comments in the past that they’ll cart him off in a box: he’s in for the duration.

• Danna_Iuliana says:

Totally agree. I was looking forward to a Tony centric season finale…urghh

• flootzavut says:

The penultimate show is Tony centric, and the cast want to pay tribute to an actor who’d become part of their NCIS family. What’s so hard to understand? There’s already been a Tony/Senior episode this season, there was a lot of Tony focus in Ziva’s send off eps, and we are getting another Tony episode. How that’s getting shafted? Good grief.

• Blacklister No.134 says:

A Ralph Waite tribute could have been done in any episode whereas a finale is just once a season. So it is weird that the finale is a tribute especially since the second to last episode was the original finale. I would love for it to be that Ziva shows up at the funeral even though it would be very unlikely. However that would be the best cliffhanger ever and I hate cliffhangers because they rarely live up to expectations.

• as524 says:

Considering that the character had no emotional tie to Jackson, her presence at the funeral would be grossly inappropriate and out of place -

• NoChance says:

The focus should be on Mr Waite/Jackson Gibbs and having Ziva show up would shift the focus from the men (actor and character) being paid tribute to and shift it to her. Does anyone seriously think that the internet chatter would be about the tribute to Ralph/Jackson if Cote was in the episode? I get stuff wrong all the time but this time I’m 100% sure that I’m not wrong in this.

• John NYC says:

Ralph Waite was a member of their team they were fond of: so the finale is the appropriate place to honor him and, btw, having the father of the central character pass is an enormous writing challenge that I can easily see taking until the end of the season so the season finale will also be very much about Gibbs. And I have no problem with that whatsoever.

• Patricia says:

Totally agree. I’m so tired of Tony getting the shaft. I almost hope he doesn’t re-sign his contract this year. As a Tony fan, I’m constantly disappointed. He’s the only reason I watch and tptb always spoil big things for him and it NEVER turns out to be true. I’ve had it with this show. It’s nothing but a vehicle for Mark Harmon to show us his angry schtick. Another Gibbs anger/angst fest season finale. Soooooo sick of Gibbs centered everything. Enough already.

• flootzavut says:

The penultimate show is Tony centric. There’s already been a Tony/Senior episode this season, there was a lot of Tony focus in Ziva’s send off eps, and we are getting another Tony episode. How that’s getting shafted? Good grief.

8. TullaT says:

Still don’t get why Gibbs is taking a helpless little girl out on big field assignments, but ok.

• Darlene says:

He’s not taking a little girl with him. Where did you hear that? He’s taking Bishop, one of the agents on his team.

• Tonyfan Ncis says:

AMEN. Bishop is a terrible character. She just does not have the gravitas to be on a big tv show playing a big role. She needs to be a side character, not a lead role.

• Jerri says:

Not like Cote had the gravitas to be on a big TV show when she first signed up for NCIS, yet she stuck around for a long time without any issues. Who’s to say Emily won’t be the same? Bishop isn’t a bad character, she’s got quirks (so does Abby, for instance). People will get used to her over time, they got used to Ziva too.

• Jane says:

Are you kidding me?! Bishop is AWESOME! I was all set to give up on NCIS with the crap they’ve been producing the past few years – especially the Tony/Ziva arc that was a snorefest! But now, with Bishop – a married woman so NONE of the idiotic “sexual tension” crap to be seen – the show has new life! It’s like a breath of fresh air! And ALL the others – Harmon, Weatherly, Murray, Perrette, even McCallum all seem revitalized! By the end of last season I felt the majority of them were just phoning it in.

• Jacks says:

I don’t know what show you are watching. Ducky, Jimmie, Abbey, and Vance are barely on the show anymore and Tony and McGee have become secondary characters. Bishop’s character is terrible and keeps getting thrust on us. Cast chemistry, which is what made the show fantastic, is now gone.

• flootzavut says:

A) she’s not a helpless little girl, she’s an agent, stop infantilising her, it doesn’t improve your argument
      B) there’s a bunch of more experienced agents down in NOLA already (Gibbs took McGee, the relative newbie, to LA for that spinoff, it’s not unheard of for the junior agent to be taken out in the field)
      C) it’s been stated that the episode has a strong DC focus as well which is why they left one of the core four and another who’s been around on and off since season one back at the Navy Yard.

• Kim R says:

This is the first thing that came to my mind when I read Bishop goes with Gibbs to NOLA. I don’t know the storyline, of course, so maybe it makes sense. I wish the question had been asked about the general unhappiness with the Bishop character and how it has been so Bishop heavy since she came on the scene. I would be interested to know if the PTB are aware of all the complaints. (This has nothing to do with Ziva so don’t jump on me!) :D

• JBC says:

I can’t believe they keep forcing Bishop into every storyline. Why should she go to New Orleans? I would prefer Tony going. I do like Scott Bakula and Paige Turco so look forward to the spin off if it does get picked up.

• as524 says:

Eps were also ziva heavy when she was introduced, ditto for EJ, Sam Ryan, Jenny etc.

Beyond that, most of the ‘complaints’ are either from ziva fans who just can accept the actress’s career move or fans who just don’t take to change very well over all.

9. So the finale isn’t really Tony centric after all? I don’t understand where this season is going. ONly a few shows left, and all of them seem to already have a purpose. No story arcs that I can see. It’s the end of the season, long past time to keep blaming the show’s problems on Cote de Pablo’s departure. Mr. Glasberg needs to get it together.

• NoChance says:

Mr Glasberg does have it together. I have no complaints to blame on anyone. I think it’s great that the show is getting back to more stand alone episodes and even mentioning things that happened in seasons past – like Tony with the plague.
      For me it’s been a great season and the ratings bear out that the non-internet posting viewers think so too. No TV show can base what they do solely on what the few hundred people like us who post to sites think.
      For me there hasn’t been an episode yet this season that I wouldn’t re-watch and I’ve already pre-ordered my DVDs.
      The season finale paying tribute to Jackson Gibbs to go along with the season ending case sounds just the way to go to me and I’ll bet Michael Weatherly, generous gentleman he is is perfectly OK with this.

• Michael Weatherly has been shafted all season. His contractually obligated directing gig was cancelled; Tony was reduced to a babysitter for Bishop; he suddenly became concerned with bath salts and casseroles. There were a couple of bright spots, such as the 250th episode. I was REALLY hoping for a Tony centric finale, FINALLY. So Tony goes to France, so what? He went to France with Ziva in Jet Lag, it was no big deal. All I want is a decent storyline for the Senior Field Agent. He’s had nothing to do all year. He deserves it.

• NoChance says:

I have never once heard Michael say or even imply that he’s been “shafted”. His directing again this season may have been moved to next season due to he and his wife having a new baby, prep work for directing takes a lot of time and with having a toddler and a newborn his priority was them and his wife so for all we know it was his decision once they knew the were adding another child to their family.
          Perception is everything and mine has never been that Tony is a babysitter for Agent Bishop anymore than he was for McGee when he 1st became a field agent. Anyway, she’s out in the field with McGee just as much as she is, if not more, with Tony and Gibbs.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

You would be correct; I reported a while ago that MW opted to focus on new parenthood vs. prep for directing an episode: http://tvline.com/2013/12/13/ncis-season-11-spoilers-tony-father-250th-episode/

• regardless of the show’s claim that he was spending time with his kids instead of directing, I think that’s a runaround by the showrunner. Also, he spent several days in England right before Christmas on promotion. So I think that he would have had a few extra hours to direct. I woulnd’t believe anything the showrunners have to say about it; after all, why would they tell the public that they were strongarming him for misbehavior?

• Darlene says:

Oh give me a break, @natalieswhite. What are you talking about? Michael’s misbehavior? And you do realize that directing takes more than a few hours, right? Several weeks prep time leading up to eight days of filming followed by initial editing. Gee, I’d rather read and believe Matt’s reporting than the tea leaves you seem to be consulting.

• SuchAJoke says:

@natakueswhite. LOL at the “few extra hours to direct” comment. That only shows that you clearly have NO idea what is involved in directing an episode or the time investment that it takes.

• Hurlman says:

Absolutely – I am so sorry to say that Tony has turned into an old man without his love beside him…now all he does is talk casseroles, bath salts and wedding planning. His main job all year has been to babysit Bishop – Bishop – who single-handedly turned this competent Agent into a background player while Gibbs pulled out chairs, let her interrogate and made her his new partner. She is not liked. No amount of pushing her in every single scene will change that. Make a stupid face about that Bishop! It is what you do best.

• NoChance says:

I like her just fine. I like having a real Probie agent around and I’ve been enjoying her being mentored by both Tony and Tim.
            As with his directing again this year being put on hold until next season (Matt just confirmed that) it could very well be that Michael wanted and was granted a lighter schedule this season – FAMILY first.
            So much anger over screen time is really a downer – and he is getting a story that will take him to France and I’m very happy that it will be the penultimate episode.

• Zipit says:

I like her fine too. The select little group of whiners, really gets old after awhile. Stop watching if it bothers you so much! That would be the sensible thing to do, but then what on earth would you all have to whine about? Stumped for an answer? Yeah, the sound you hear is crickets…….

• Darlene says:

Wow! Michael has not been “shafted” this season. I think he’s had some good, significant stories. .and he’s getting an action packed story to lead into the season finale. Just because Tony has been to France before… so what? It’s not a Jet Lag redux (hallelujah!). So why wouldn’t it be fun and exciting to see him in France?

• Erin says:

Tony might be getting spoilers that say that the penultimate episode is Tony centric, but really, how can a Tony fan believe anything that comes out of tptb mouths? I’m guessing Gibbs and Bishop will have every bit as much to do as Tony in this story. I’m not being fooled again. The PTB don’t give a rat’s a– about Tony or his fans. Gibbs can have no male rivals (and especially not Tony) in the alpha male, bad ass, all knowing agent department. Period.

• Pete says:

It was reported that Weatherly & the show postponed this directing gig – as Matt has linked to here. I believe I also read (presumably elsewhere) that it had been delayed until season 12. It certainly appeared to be by mutual agreement (and, coincedentally, implied he plans to be back for season 12).
          It rather looks like your conspiracy theories about Weatherly are just that, so why should anyone believe that your conspiracy theories regarding de Pablo’s departure have any more credence?

Hooray for a Tony-centric episode, but what does it matter whether it’s the final one of the season or the penultimate one? On the other hand the show has always been at its best when it focuses on team centric episodes with each character getting a little chance to shine within that – rather than pushing anyone to the fore for a whole episode.
          I’m also a little puzzled that you now suddenly think Tony going to France in ‘Jet Lag’ was “no big deal” it was a huge deal to you and the other Tiva romance fans at the time – and an episode that sadly lacked for the rest of us.
          Try watching the entire show, rather than just focusing on what you dislike about Bishop – the rest of the cast have done some excellent work this season and given us some great episodes, and Bishop is working as the newbie out of her depth (as McGee was initially, but in a different way).

I really don’t understand the venom and spite that you and so many of your friends keep lobbing at the show and the cast – directly to them on twitter, not just on comment sites like this. I don’t understand how anyone can behave like that.

• flootzavut says:

So essentially, you’ll choose to believe your own conspiracy theories over things that were reported by people who have been on set? Yeah, you’ve really lost it. Sheesh.

As for “finally” getting a season finale, it makes me wonder what show you’ve been watching. The character has been heavily involved in pretty much every season finale we’ve had, and been central to a couple of humdingers.

Seriously, get a little perspective, it’s a TV show. Something tells me that most people find their growing families more important than that.

• Erin says:

I guess the reason that I’m disappointed about Tony not getting a season finale as spoiled, aside from feeling like it was a bait and switch, is that we’re getting another Gibbs angst/anger fest instead. We get those every single year for the finale as well as a couple during the season, and now I’ve seen all of his dramatic angst too many times. While Tony got some screen time with all the focus on Ziva’s revenge arc, or when Ziva got captured in Somalia, the arc was still all about Ziva. Tony hasn’t been at the center of any arc that was the main story since season 4. When it wasn’t a Ziva centered arc, it was Gibbs. I have no faith that Tony will get anything of significance in season 12 either, if he chooses to re-sign. It NEVER happens. The writers seem required now to give us Gibbs centered stories with a heavy dose of Bishop on the side. Tony, Tim, and Abby seem to get their little insignificant one and dones and then it’s back to some more Gibbs drama.

• flootzavut says:

The penultimate show is Tony centric, and the cast want to pay tribute to an actor who’d become part of their NCIS family. What’s so hard to understand? There’s already been a Tony/Senior episode this season, there was a lot of Tony focus in Ziva’s send off eps, and we are getting another Tony episode. If that’s your version of Tony getting shafted…?!

Why on earth shouldn’t they take an episode to say goodbye to their colleague and friend who, let’s remember, hasn’t just left the show: he’s actually DEAD. We have had a generous handful of Tony/Senior eps the last few years, he had a whole non Ziva undercover assignment/relationship, we had an episode about young!Tony and his past in Baltimore…

Gibbs/Mark Harmon is the lead actor, like it or not, and a man has died. I love Tony, but this is not remotely some kind of anti Tony decision, and the people acting like it is just sound completely ridiculous.

• leia says:

He wasn’t shafted, his wife had a baby. They delayed the director gig because of that. I’m surprised at how defensive people are about a supposed slight of Michael when there are those who were threatening and menacing his family not too long ago. Where were you all then?

Good questions Leia. Good question :-/

• as524 says:

Probably these people are the ones who assisted in or dealt out the crap he received on twitter

• TV Gord says:

Clearly, the producers forced his wife to have a baby to get him to postpone directing an episode. Logically, they are punishing Michael for Cote’s decision to leave the show. Makes complete sense, doesn’t it? ;-)

• Bellz says:

Great reply. Michael certainly wouldn’t be worried. There is always next season.

• Cas says:

Ratings are in fact starting to reflect that the fans complaining about Bishop on the internet are indeed not a minority and they are in fact starting to change channels. Last week’s episode got a 2.4 rating which is way below their average ratings and the two previous episodes only did marginally better.

• BJG says:

NCIS is up against The Voice, a great competitive that happens to be a live broadcast. Live plus 7 days for NCIS for Dressed to Kill was 21.7 million viewers with a 3.6 demo. Not bad at all & I’m sure CBS is very happy.

• Cas says:

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot had a 4.8 rating in the Live+ 7 with 24.6 million viewers .
            Past Present Future had a 4.7 rating in the Live+7 with 24.2 million viewers.
            I would say CBS would be happier with the numbers of these two episodes than what they are getting now. Bear in mind these two episodes also competed against the Voice and yet pulled in much higher numbers.

• Joni says:

In the +7 days ‘NCIS’ had a 3.6 rating in the demographic. Source: TVByTheNumbers.

• Cas says:

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot had a 4.8 rating in the Live+ 7.
            Past Present Future had a 4.7 rating in the Live+7.
            Source: TVByThe Numbers.

• flootzavut says:

Okay, let’s do a little maths here: shows usually face a drop off in spring/summer, but even if we ignore that completely:

International petition to get Cote back: still hasn’t limped past 18K signatures. That’s only a thousandth of the show’s audience in the US alone, after 9 months of campaigning included two adverts in the LA times.

International petition on the same site to the same network to have the HIMYM ending rewritten and reshot (which seems even less likely to me, but hey): over 18K signatures in less than a week. Faced with these two petitions, d’ya really think the poor showing on the Cote petition has CBS shaking in their shoes??

NCIS and its spinoff are regularly winning their slot, and producing loads of revenue for CBS. The rhetoric that says a majority of fans are jumping ship isn’t supported by the facts.

• danyelle says:

I think its pretty obvious that they simply moved the Tony episode up a week, so the finale would be about Gibbs’ dad. Did no one else see that? How are Tony “fans” complaining about a “action packed” “Three Days of the Condor” storyline in France? Sooo confused.

• Darlene says:

I’m not complaining. I’m totally looking forward to the Tony story. And I’m happy about the tribute to Ralph Waite. It’s Gibbs’ dad. That’s big. And Mr. Waite, as Papa Walton, was a strong father figure to many of us. NCIS is a class act for honoring Ralph and for letting the fans be witness to his send off.

• Lauren says:

Hey, I’m not complaining either. And the one who is above is one of “the usual suspects”. I don’t know either what the diff is if the Tony episode is “the almighty finale” or THE WEEK BEFORE, LOL.

• Joni says:

I think a lot of people may be too young to remember ‘Three Days of the Condor’ (talk about a tension filled movie). Perhaps it should be required “watching” before viewing the NCIS episode.

• Darlene says:

I’m certainly going to do my homework and watch the movie. I think that’ll be great prep work for the episode! So excited for Tony!

• Jerri says:

Because most Tony fans who are conplaining on here are too young to get the reference to “three days of the Condor” because they’ve never seen the film.

• flootzavut says:

It’s baffling. Then again, the people whining about it being the penultimate and not the finale would’ve found something else to complain about if they’d done it the other way round. I no longer expect even a modicum of sense from anyone who complains that a Three Days of the Condor episode set in Paris for a Tony-centric penultimate episode is “shafting” the character.

• as524 says:

Ultimately it really isn’t Tony or even MW that they are complaining about. These are the people who are certain that MW is being punished for ‘supporting cdp’ in interviews

• flootzavut says:

It seems so. It seems like many of them don’t actually give a toss about Tony or about Michael Weatherly. They just want to have a moan. Sad.

• as524 says:

these are mostly NOT Tony fans who are complaining – they are fans of the Tony we got when ziva & tiva reigned on NCIS. Very much not the same as being fans of the character

• Zipit says:

” they are fans of the Tony we got when ziva & tiva reigned on NCIS.”
          Seriously? When they “reigned” on NCIS? Comments like that, exemplifies why “fans” like yourself are in need of maturing–quickly. The show isn’t and wasn’t, the Ziva/Tiva show. If it has to be explained to you, AGAIN, what the show is truly about, look it up on Wikipedia. You constantly rant how unfair the show is because Tiva doesn’t happen anymore. Perhaps, you should send a long letter to Cote de Pablo, complaining to her–after all, she chose to leave on her own, for her own reasons. Want to whine and stamp your feet? Fine, do it to her. Let us all know what she writes back………{Massive eye roll}

• Erin says:

I was never a fan of Ziva/tiva, but am a fan of Tony and I’m very disappointed, so please don’t presume to know why some Tony fans are unhappy. As far as Tony getting an episode – I’ll believe it when I see it. Let’s face it – Gibbs has to come off as the smartest toughest agent, and we’ll have to have the Bishop figures out the mystery moment. Abby will have to get the Gibbs kiss for her work, and McGee will get some tiny little piece of the pie. These are the same producers that promised “growth” for Tony and what they came up with was his passion for bubble baths. I’ll believe that the episode features Tony and in a good way only when I actually see it happen.

• Mark says:

The season is up in the air thanks to one Cote de Pablo leaving ten days before the current season began shooting and any and all plans the producers may have had for this season had to get thrown at that point. Any criticism can only be shown from next season onwards with regard to the characters when the producers have had time to sit down and look at where they are going and where they need to develop each character. If the actress hadn’t left so close to the season beginning it would not have been so disjointed.Only one person is to blame not the actress that took her place she can only act with the material she is given or the other actors who where maybe looking to be doing another storyline. On another note I’m glad to see Scott Bakulla on TV again I think this will be a good fit. I’m just sad although it wasn’t picked up for series we haven’t seen more of the Red Team I think there was a few more stories there and even if it was with the whole team in a cross over arc it would be nice to see some of those agents in the NCIS verse again on the various shows.

• Anna says:

So you expect from an actress without a contract to accept any terms when negotiation time is running out because the writers are not able to prepare a script in case she leaves although they know for months that she doesn’t have a contract? (And I am not even a Ziva fan)
        And concerning the great new actress on NCIS: Have you ever thought that the fact most people don’t like the Bishop character might ruin this show before it even started?
        Two of my friends are actors and I really suggest you don’t blame them! If you want to blame someone start with the one responsible: The showrunner!

• Mr. R says:

Yes, yes and milion times yes Anna, “The showrunner!” is absolutely correct.
          He don’t know how to continue without Cote.
          Her leaving, was only his fault.
          He played to big boy, without real strong cards in his hands.
          He let her without any plan, how to succesfully continued show.
          Whole S11 is just project from some amateurs, builded on the water.
          Michael, Pauley…just kiss his ass for money.

• Pete says:

You, Sir, are offensive.

• Mr. R says:

Yes Pete, if You like, I am.
            Take it like public presentation of my disappointing.
            So what?
            I am not politician liar, lawyer, or same alse a-s licker, I clearly wrote that, what I mean.
            Is that wrong?
            Or hypocrisy is Your ideal?

I wrote about S11, not about Tiva, or Ziva, or Bishop….

• Pete says:

Mr R.
            No, you slandered the cast and crew of a TV show that you profess to like (why on earth would you be posting here if you didn’t like?)
            You are entitled to you own views, but what you write – even allowing for the language barrier – shows that you actually know nothing.

• Mark says:

@Mr R How is it the Show runners fault considering she started renegotiating her contract at the beginning of the Summer and strung everyone along until the very last minute in hope of forcing a deal she knew she was never going to get or interest in taking. The professional thing to do would have been to look at the contracts on offer even after the revisions and state sorry not interested and move on instead of stringing everyone along with false hope letting everyone prepare your scripts etc. Hence burning all her bridges in the process. Viva the revolution and Bishop may she be on there for years to come.

• Blacklister No.134 says:

Last I checked the current episodes were written and filmed in January which is six months after she announced she was leaving. The blame is solely on the showrunner and the show at this point. Even from the start they should have had a contingency plan. At this point this excuse is just annoying.

• BJG says:

Why would you have a contingency plan when all we heard from a certain actress that she planned on being back for S11? At least that is all I’ve read from CdP/Ziva/Tiva fans.

• Blacklister No.134 says:

Because it is the smart thing to do when there is a possibility that there could be a last minute impasse. It is what people do in the real world all the time.

• flootzavut says:

And if they had had a cast iron contingency plan, no doubt the Zivabots would be complaining bitterly that it was a plot to get Cote out. At this point, GG is the scapegoat for anything the whiners don’t like, and there’s no way in the world he could do anything right. Frankly, if Gary Glasberg brought Cote back for a Tiva wedding in the finale, I have no doubt that there would still be Ziva fans complaining that the wedding wasn’t glam enough or too glam or they should’ve been engaged for a year…

Basically, he can do nothing right, which is why I have great difficulty taking any of you Glasberg bashers and Cote apologists seriously any more.

10. MaggieHetzler says:

I hope Tony is going to France because he is meeting Ziva in Paris!

• John NYC says:

Yeah except they been there, done that, and came away unimpressed enough they never went there again in all the intervening years.

So.

Probably not.

• NoChance says:

Unlikely. I recall a tweet from a columnist for another entertainment publication that said he was 100% certain that she wouldn’t be back. And not long after that he fell for the reporter who ended up dying and then he fell for EJ and she was involved with that CIA guy for over a year.
        Oh, and Gary said France, not Paris.

• Tonyfan Ncis says:

Neither CBS nor Cote has said that she would never ever be back. So there is always hope!!

• as524 says:

Her management team negotiated for most of the hiatus while she was off on vacation. They were obviously close enough to a deal or had enough confidence that Harmon announced at Upfronts that ALL would be back for season 11. She shafted the network and show when she returned at the last moment. Then she couldn’t agree to be available for the 2 episode arc the showrunner envisioned to write off the character. Then she did barely any publicity & has done nothing nothing to rein in the lunatic fringe of her fanbase that has done nothing but heap abuse on the cast, the writers & the network – not to mention the TCA.

If YOU were CBS or the folks in Valencia, would you seriously want her back?

11. Bellz says:

I hope the Mike Franks connection brings Mike’s character back again for the odd episode. Love his character, dead or alive.

• Joni says:

A tweet from Muse Watson indicated that he’s not in the ‘Crescent City’ episodes so it seems he’s in the credits because his image is used in some way.

• as524 says:

It’s past time for Mike Franks to settle in to his grave – never to be seen or heard from again.

12. themainfan says:

Lol “some kind of accent”!! It’s true. I know he won’t be doing that in the series. It’s already been rejected!

• NoChance says:

Huh? How can something be “rejected” when the backdoor pilot hasn’t even aired yet? Nothing I’ve seen anywhere has said that it’s not a “go”.

• themainfan says:

I’m sure the accent won’t be in the series because the accent is “some kind of accent” which is ridiculous

13. bb says:

So Abby’s not going to NO? That’s so dumb. She’s from there. What a waste of storyline for her character.

• John NYC says:

“A tremendous portion of this story happens in Washington,…”

So plenty of opportunity for Abby to contribute just as she usually does, from her lab.

• flootzavut says:

Erm. She’s a forensic scientist and the times she leaves DC are the exceptions.

14. JulieAnn says:

Mark Harmon and Scott Bakula in the same picture. My inner 14-year old is screaming like a groupie. Ahem, sorry, I had a moment. Can’t wait to see what they do with New Orleans, though that cast is not diverse enough for a show set in that area, IMO.

• John NYC says:

Federal agencies seldom draw significantly from the local population. Now secondary characters who are likely to be “Locals” will be an entirely different issue.

15. Bonnie Shaw says:

I love Scott Bakula, can’t wait to watch NCIS New Orleans. He’s a very underrated actor, I think he’s great. Looking forward to this show.

16. Lynn says:

This is all very exciting…but doesn’t Three Days of the Condor start with a guy who goes out to lunch and comes back to find all his co-workers dead? 0_o (Sounds like this is going to be a fun cat-and-mouse type thing for Michael Weatherly, so no complaints here)

• flootzavut says:

“On the other hand, I can’t believe anyone is complaining about Ralph Waite’s passing being worked into the final episode. Yes, he may have been a “side character” on NCIS, but Waite had a 60-year television career that endeared him to generations of fans. He was fantastic in the role of Jackson Gibbs, and deserves the sendoff.”

*applause* couldn’t agree more. The disrespect shown regarding Ralph Waite has been astounding. I couldn’t believe it when people used articles about his death to whine about Ziva or say it was a good excuse for Cote to return. Unbelievable.

Of course the cast want to give him a good send off. It is obvious they all adored him, and he was the TV grandad for, as you say, generations. It’s a shame some of the fans are showing so little generosity of spirit.

• Blacklister No.134 says:

The problem is that the tribute episode could be done before the finale. The finale was already touted as Tony-centric and people are dissapointed that it had to be changed for an episode that could have happened before the finale. I do not think people are complaining that a tribute is taking place.

• as524 says:

Oh please – Last year’s finale was shaping up to be ziva centric & then switched to Gibbs at the last moment. Try again…

• John NYC says:

There is no problem with the memorial episode being the season finale: this show’s dna from JAG onward is solidly for their ensemble crew and each and every member of the repertory cast is treated with respect.

• NoChance says:

Coulda, woulda, shoulda. I respect the show for giving respect to Mr Waite’s family but not hastily writing something. Like the season finale, episodes were already written. Did you expect the show to rewrite these episodes and shoehorn the death of Gibbs’ father?
          I’m a Tony fan but am perfectly happy with episode 23 being focused on him and maybe, just maybe we’ll be treated to a ‘Call of Silence’ worthy episode for Mr Waite/Jackson Gibbs – something very different than we’ve gotten as season finale’s since the show started.

• Erin says:

Well it’s a well known truth that tptb at NCIS don’t give a crap about Michael Weatherly, except that he is an extremely integral and popular character for their own bottom line. His fans are exceptionally loyal so even if he gets merely one one and done, as in season 10 they’ll still garner those eyeballs for their coveted advertisers. Tony’s season finale centric spoilers mean nothing to tptb as Gibbs MUST have more attention at all times, and Ralph Waites passing certainly gives them the excuse to do what they always do anyway. Yay – another Gibbs angst fest and screw that silly old Tony. Who cares?

17. Pete says:

Thanks, Matt, it’s nice to finally start reading things about this show that don’t have Ziva still being shoe-horned in – shame the same can’t be said about the comments.

I’m cautious about the spin-off although I will give it a fair try. I almost missed NCIS initially because life was busy and I didn’t need to get into yet another TV show, and then I realised that it wasn’t ‘yet another TV show’.
    For me much of what made the show unique and appealing has been diluted since Bellisario left. Bellisario created some wonderfully complex and nuanced characters and found a great team of actors with excellent chemistry between them to portray those characters. Ziva seemed OK initially, but there was too much emphasis on her, and especially the silly ‘Tiva’ tease which totally screwed up the team dynamics between all the others as anything else got neglected in favor of a ‘romance’ that made no sense with the way she treated him (consistantly, not just the assault in Israel!).
    This season has been much better for me: much of the old team chemistry has been showcased again and the characters are closer to the originals – which, it seems, is not what some newer viewers want.

Can ‘NOLA’ recreate half of that and catch my attention? We will have to see.
    I initially liked the idea of Bakula as the lead, until I realised just how old he is which may prove to be a flaw in the plan. Most of the others I am not familiar with.
    I’m not holding my breath. The LA pilot episodes did nothing for me, they weren’t much cop as NCIS eps and they did nothing to inspire me to check out the new show.
    I don’t have high expectations, so maybe I will be pleasantly surprised!

18. Christopher says:

I am totally disappointed that the writers need two months to write a tribute to the deceased and beloved Ralph Waite but don’t miss a chance to highlight this annoying Bishop character in every episode this season.
    Now Gibbs takes Bishop to New Orleans to make her ruin a show with great actors in a great City.
    I really hope that enough viewers watch this spin off because with Bishop in the original NCIS won’t last longer than one more season!
    And now no Tony centric finale, nice! I think precious Bishop and Gibbs will be the main characters in this one again!
    I don’t need Cote de Pablo back but I really thought Hollywood has more to offer than this cheap actress ruining America’s favorite TV show!

• John NYC says:

Part of the challenge was surely the surprise need to accurately portray the impact of the characters passing on the shows MAIN character: Gibbs himself. That’s a situation they’d want to get very right.

19. Cj says:

Pete you must have not watched the two seasons that tony was down right mean to ziva especially the season he was involved with the arms dealer’s doctor daughter. And I still don’t understand why people on this site always feel the need to bash cote de Pablo when she clearly was a great fit for this show. Just pay attention to the ratings once she became a regular cast member, if she comes back or not an honest person can not deny that fact. Numbers don’t lie

• This is the only message board where Ziva/Cote haters dominate the conversation. If you go to the comments on this very same article, published on yahoo, it’s the exact opposite.

• Lillian says:

Nothing stops you haters from posting here. If you don’t like being argued with, that’s your problem. Most of your group will simply block opposite opinions, so I’m not surprised they won’t post where others will offer counter opinions. The alleged grand poobah of the campaign even admitted she only likes to talk to those with similar opinions. The difference is, Matt keeps an eye on the comments to his posts. Yahoo is a free-for-all.

• BJG says:

What? The only time the CdP/Ziva/Tiva is mentioned is when one of her fans jumps in to bring “Hate” on Bishop. And if you don’t like the conversation on here then go back to Yahoo.

• leia says:

Yes but during that season Tony was under considerable duress, from Jenny, keeping secrets from Gibbs, oh and living a lie. WE don;t bash Cote/ Ziva, we respond to the irrational arguments they put forth. The conspiracy theories, evil show runners, false claims, unsupported evidence, scorched earth. Just read above, and yes I agree that the show would have a huge boost if she came back. That would be fine with me too. But I’m not going to bad mouth the rest of the cast and crew for the fact that she left the show.

• Cas says:

You are right that people should actually start checking the ratings before they say that people complaining about this season are only a minority and that they would never actually change the channel.
      They should also remember that before Cote arrived the fate of NCIS was uncertain and since we are seeing what would have happened to the show if a lesser actress would have taken over. I would say that looking at the numbers that the rating and viewership boom that happened as in the latter part of the show’s history can in a large part attributed to Cote/ Ziva. After all the first episode to have twenty million viewers was Truth or Consequences which we all know was about Ziva and that is before we even mention Shiva. Not only did her charisma and her on screen presence help the show but her chemistry and storylines really helped the development of the other characters and as we are currently seeing this season is not something that would have translated on script with any other actress. This translated into making it such a worldwide hit.

• BJG says:

The bump in the ratings were not because of the intro of the Ziva characters it was because of the reruns on the USA network. Ratings jumped in S5-S6. My first “real” episode was S6 E1. And since I have purchased all the seasons on DVD and I prefer the early years of S1-S3 and now S11 has gone back to those basics. We’ve got Gibbs who is now the team leader, not the daddy who can stop a person in his track by just a stare. We got the work smarter not harder Tony who is looked as the SFA and is mentoring a real probie. We got McGee not chained to his desk as much as in the past. We got grown-up Abby, not the Gibbs, Gibbs, Gibbs baby Abby.

• leia says:

you hit the nail on the head. NCIS grew because of syndication. Now we have characters paying more attention to each other than their own sex lives, dating, self interest, etc.

• as524 says:

WOW….it’s funny how it’s the cote/ziva/tiva fans who claim that without her the show would be nothing.

Not eve the show runner at the time of TorC lays claim to the idea that it was ziva who brought in 20 mil for the episode.
        As far as Shiva goes, the ep was promoted as the loss of 2 of the NCIS family yet of course the assumption is that it was all because of ziva.
        There was no charisma or on screen chemistry with the rest of the cast – that much is evident in the season 10 episodes. One look at the body language on Weatherly whenever he’s near de Pablo speak volumes of the lack of chemistry.

• John NYC says:

The numbers: 21.7 million viewers with a 3.6 demo.

• Pete says:

Actually I’ve been watching a number of season 4 episodes recently and have been noticing just how much Ziva wanted to control Tony even then. She was not a happy bunny that he appeared to be initially hiding things from the team and then in an actual relationship with a woman – shock horror!
      Gibbs was far more understanding about Tony’s situation – in fact he seemed to know about the undercover op from mid season 4, whereas all the great Mossad agent could focus on was that Tony wasn’t worshipping at her feet.

One thing that the Ziva lovers seem to have a problem with is separating the character and the actor. I very much doubt that de Pablo is anything like Ziva (at least I hope she isn’t!), I know for a fact that Harmon is unlike Gibbs in many ways, even though Weatherly does appear to be a lot like Tony. Ziva the character irritated me, much of what is being levelled at Bishop I complained about Ziva. I know nothing of de Pablo and aside from wishing her well in her career don’t have much of an opinion of her – I certainly don’t hate her, although I’m not impressed that she appears to have neither said nor done ‘anything’ to get the rabid nutters to stop harrassing cast, crew and CBS, although I have no idea whether it would do any good.

As to the ratings, I don’t deny that she had an effect although quite exactly what that effect is/was is another matter. Both Brennan & Glasberg and other industry insiders credit syndication with the explosion in viewer numbers. However one thing is certain: that if large numbers of US viewers stopped watching once she left (the way I stopped watching CSI mid-season when Grissom left) they were balanced out by the numbers of returning viewers in her absence.
      de Pablo had her part and her place in the show and has left it behind, life moves on and things change. In terms of being typecast she already seems to have stayed too long – judging by the many fans who just want Ziva regardless of anything else.

20. Pat says:

I will hold my judgement until I see the show tonight. I believe this is a two parter so I wish them well, Having a spin off came sometimes be hard to pull off, so at this moment in time, it is a wait and see game, for me.

21. Dennise says:

If the New Orleans series is a go, please let them film in NOLA and the surrounding area! We have the support systems already in place.

• John NYC says:

I do appreciate shows that film at their locales: NYC shows that film there are a better “look” than some block along the Vancouver waterfront…..

22. John NYC says:

I like NCIS:L.A., up until this season it even had a higher slot on my viewing list than the mothership, so I’m looking forward to what they can do with the new spinoff: at the least the casting, while not electrifying on paper, must surely turn out to be superior to the RED mistake.

23. Mel says:

Thanks Matt, especially for asking Glasberg what his rationale was for who went with Gibbs to New Orleans and who stayed. I’m excited about a Tony-centric ep, but disappointed that once again the finale won’t be Tony centric. It’s been seven years since we had a Tony-centric finale. Seems another slight to Michael Weatherly after eleven years of being the good team player. Nice and very appropriate that they’re doing a tribute to Ralph Waite, I’m just disappointed they felt that once again they had to go with the requisite Gibbs-centered finale. Outside the box thinking, especially eleven seasons in, might have been a wiser way to go, Mr Glasberg.

• CJ says:

I agree with everything you said. And it doesn’t stem from any love for Ziva or Tiva, because I’m personally glad she’s gone. And I mean absolutely no disrespect toward Ralph Waite either. Jackson Gibbs certainly deserves an appropriate sendoff, but for a recurring character it could have been done just as well in the penultimate episode. There IS a difference in importance between the penultimate episode and the season finale and for some reason Gary Glasberg is fixated on making every single big season-ending story arc about Gibbs. I am disappointed for Michael Weatherly (and not implying that Mr. Weatherly himself is unhappy or upset by any means – this is simply how I feel) and more disappointed for those of us who are Tony fans and were looking forward to finally having a season-finale arc involving our favorite character again. If Gary Glasberg isn’t certain of his plans, he needs to keep his mouth shut.

24. bonniew88 says:

Maybe Gibbs will leave Bishop in New Orleans and fix what’s wrong with this season.

• Jane says:

Let me guess, another Ziva fan spouting sour grapes. *eyeroll* Bishop is fantastic and has helped breath life back into a show that was on its last legs!

25. Lillian says:

The fact is, NCIS is still winning Tuesday nights in overall viewers and is second in the 18-49 demo. It’s still the most-watched scripted drama. Have the numbers gone down? yes, but widen your focus and you’ll see everyone has gone down. If one concentrates on a small section of data, one is working with faulty data and their conclusions are questionable.
    The average viewer # YTD for S11 is 19.11, 18-49 3.0. Very decent numbers for their 11th season. (Avg S10 YTD was 19.73, 18-49 3.5.) Final S10 avg was 19.29, 3.3.
    It seems to me there’s nothing to worry about, ratings-wise.

• Pete says:

I’ve plotted out the figures for seasons 9/10/11 (still looking for the breakdowns for earlier seasons) and it’s too close to tell between 9/10 and 11 to date.
      Yes, the last 3 eps were a slight drop, but still well within the envelope of the last couple of seasons and mirroring the drop in season 10, just a couple of weeks earlier; but without the wild fluctuations of early season 10.
      Are they going to hold up for the rest of season 11 or decline as the naysayers predict? I have no idea, they might well do or they might not. But then I wasn’t prepared to make ANY prediction after 11.02 when Ziva fans were predicting armageddon for the viewing figures and it just didn’t happen…

One thing that can be said is that if you look at the 7 day figures – and I am sure the bean counters do – which cover some of the changes in the way people consume their viewing, there is a pretty decent sized audience for a show in its 11th season.

26. TinLV says:

I just don’t get the love for NCIS.. I find it the most boring show on TV.. Right there with CSI.. I love a good murder mystery, but they don’t do good murder mysteries.. there is way too much emphasis on autopsies and lab results, not enough on detective work.. And yet it gets the ratings; I guess teckies like it. I like Harmon, but not in this show. I like Scott Bacula, but probably won’t watch a new NCIS show..

27. bobbie says:

If there’s a spinoff? I thought this was a done deal! I was so excited to think there’d be a show with Scott Bakula. I think it would be an amazing show.

28. MrWiggly says:

Paige Turco is quite the busy woman, recurring character on Person of Interest, main character on The 100, and now supporting character on NCIS:NOLA. Good for her, i like the characters she plays, all different and so far well done.

29. Cj says:

I am not a ziva lover I just like the show and have watched since Gibbs and dinozzo first appeared on jag, I just get tired of reading peoples comments on here blaming that character ziva for all the things that are wrong with the show or what they perceive as being wrong. Just because your favorite character isn’t getting the meatiest parts of the show that’s no reason to hate on others if you like the show then watch if not then don’t watch. I don’t think anyone on this site could write it better or act any of the scenes better. It’s a television show come on

30. S.Ford says:

Huge fan of NCIS…native Louisianian.”.Scott Bakulas characters colloquialisms and accent are AWFUL! Nobody says Laissez Les Bon ton roule in a work environment in N.O.La. We don’t call each other brother all the time. His mistrust of outsiders is perfect, though. Tweaking of Bakulas “real ness” is big time important!

31. kap says:

I hope they get rid of the blond bimbo child. Surely they can do better.

• John NYC says:

She’s a thirty year old married woman.

• Jane says:

I hope they don’t listen to morons like you that clearly are still bitter over CDP leaving. Bishop is reminiscent of Kate and FINALLY the series is going back to what made it great! The dead weight is gone and now it can be about the CASES and not pandering to the Ziva fans.

• kap says:

Jane, you just plain don’t have a clue as to what I thought about Ziva. The show was great with Ziva and with Kate. The show is plainly Jane, going down hill. And it has since Ziva left. Not because she left but because the writers have messed with Tony and McGee. They have let Abby mature. I guess Jane, you just like plain ol bimbo children to try and fit in, even though they aren’t able to. Weird that you think they are pandering to Ziva fans. I guess you haven’t noticed that Ziva is no longer there.

32. jenniferjo18 says:

Sorry if I’m repeating something that’s already here, but …. I really wanted to like “NCIS N.O.” I love NCIS and I love Scott Bakula. But I’m so tired of Hollywood botching the New Orleans accent that I just can’t sit through this clichéd mess. I live in Alabama. We talk with a Southern drawl. I’ve spent lots of time in New Orleans. They speak through their noses and end lots of sentences with “yeah?” It almost sounds like a northern accent. I can’t believe that Hollywood gets this wrong over and over and over.

33. Scott says:

Bring on NCIS New Orleans!

34. Roger Paustian says:

Time to retire all the new NCIS is weak in the plot the early years were better
    NCIS New Orleans plot ?? where is it just another same ole show

35. Jane says:

SO happy to see new life being brought into NCIS with the inclusion of Bishop! All the actors seem to be enjoying themselves again, and I no longer feel like I’m watching a bunch of men and women phoning in their scenes. This season has been reminiscent of the first seasons, the best seasons, of NCIS before the writers forgot they were writing a show about NCIS and started writing a soap opera for several years!

I’m looking forward to the spinoff if for no other reason than Scott Bakula who is a fantastic actor! Hopefully they’ll manage to juggle all three without losing the great momentum that NCIS has finally regained, and that NCIS: LA has been picking up with each new episode!

36. Rich says:

Bishop needs to be written out as Tony’s Dad returns to the Nursing Home for good. We know whenever Tony’s Dad is on, we can turn to other things to do. Kate Fan forever.

37. bicycletires says:

PLEASE get rid of that AWFUL BISHOP character!!!!!!!!!! she is absolutely the WORST addition , keeps the whole show disjointed and just dosent fit. what were they thinking?????NOTHING works when she is featured.

38. Marge says:

I surely hope this becomes a series I have always like Scott Bakula and his two “helpers” seem pretty good. I was slow to accept NCIS.LA but I love it now but I am hyped up to hope NCIS in New Orleans makes it to the TV

39. Patrick says:

I only watch NCIS because my wife has a grandmother crush on Tony. The New Orleans show was terrible. Why do they use those phony accents.

40. Shannon says:

YES, I would LOVE to see a new NCIS: New Orleans!! I love the characters and would watch it every week!!!! Give us more!!!

41. Not Ziva says:

Bishop is a great new character. She plays it just right. She is new and learning her job. She has quirks like all the NCIS characters. To all those who think they should be writing and directing the show: it’s not up for a vote, if you don’t like it, don’t watch. When Ziva left, it was a little disconcerting. Then they introduced Bishop and I was pleasantly surprised. I did not think they would be able to pull it off but they did. The transition proved this remains a super-successful show. The ratings prove that Ziva is not missed and the millions of viewers who tune in every week prove Bishop is liked by the majority. Ziva left a successful show for whatever reason. Why people are pining for her to come back is ridiculous. It was her decision to fade away into oblivion. I am glad and do not miss her. I liked her when she was on but now that she is gone, I see that the show was often side-tracked by her personal dramas. She ain’t that great. Change is good, part of life. Adjust to it or go to where Ziva went. Bishop has breathed new life into the show and Tony can be Tony again and we can watch cases instead of wondering if Tony and Ziva will ever be a couple. Answer: NO. And thank goodness (and Bishop) for that. Long live NCIS.

42. Jean Alica says:

For those people who liked Ziva and Cote de Pablo there is a picture of her on her website at a studio in LA a few days ago. She looks beautiful and happy. I have no doubt she will one day guest on NCIS but I think it may have something to do with language skills rather than returning to her old job. This will never happen. People need to get over the idea.

43. Bob says:

Hurry, whatever it takes get Ziva back. The show just doesn’t have IT any more. I thought I read somewhere Ziva was coming back for season 12…guess not. Get her back! Please!