M.K. Nobilette Talks Coming Out on Idol, Learning From Harry, Being an 'Awkward' Performer

_MB11507M.K. Nobilette was the first one out on American Idol — but not in every sense of the word.

The Season 13 finalist made history as the first contestant ever to acknowledge being gay during her run on the show, and then made it all the way to a Top 10 finish and a spot on the 2014 Idol summer tour.

M.K. dropped by TVLine HQ this afternoon to talk about her love of obscure music, her Rush Week cover of “All of Me” and the glitch in her Top 10 Week rendition of “Perfect” that led to her elimination.

Press PLAY below for the full Q&A, and follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV for all my Idol news, recaps, interviews, videos and exclusives!

1. dre says:

lol where’s idoloonies?

2. MamaLis says:

Nice interview. And THANK YOU for not looking at the camera! Position yourselves a little better (Michael) and you might really have something there! ;)

So nice job, MK. I think you have a great attitude, a cool vibe, and a beautiful voice! I’m SO glad you found the experience and feedback to be useful and helpful. That says a lot about you.

Honestly, I was a definitely a “fan” and voted for you!! That said, in the last couple of weeks I was a little unsure as to the growth-arc and/or if you were feeling comfortable, etc. Hearing you speak, that definitely could be attributable to just your inexperience with large-scale performance and the lack of available music in your wheelhouse.

So ya….. I’d LOVE to see the “you” come out more to match your voice! Cuz you have an AWESOME beautiful voice, sister! BEST OF LUCK!!

3. marygrace says:

enjoyed the interview.

4. LeahKittyS says:

It’s a shame we had to lose her now. She was definitely towards the back of the pack performance-wise, but she has a lovely voice and a cool attitude, and I always liked her better than CJ and Dexter. Good luck, MK! See you on the tour!

5. donn says:

“Openly gay internet person” – cracks me up!!!

6. lynn says:

Love MK’s voice. She’s got a really charming and adorable personality. I like her relaxed vibe.

7. LeahKittyS says:

The format was much better this week. The sound quality was better, she was there in person, and you two looked at each other. More like a proper interview.

8. Leticia Prado says:

I liked the format better than previous weeks, but I miss the footage from the show to ilustrate the questions, like we had on past years. I understand you are giving the contestants more time to talk and express themselves, but I miss it. It felt more like a professional thing.

9. Wait, was J’Da not out of the closet last season? I find that hard to believe.

10. Jeremiah says:

This is probably the best that the Google Hangout has worked so far! Thank you for taking our feedback and making changes. The pre-recorded, edited interviews from previous years are still much better, but I assume that you realize this yourself, and are simply unable to do them anymore for some reason or another. Thanks for doing what you can!

11. Sara says:

Hope to see more from her in the future. I really loved her as a person and her voice but she did have a really tough time connecting with the audience. Hope that changes! She’s awesome.

12. PeaceMaker says:

Yes, this is better than the previous Hangout interviews, but still terrible compared to Slezak’s usual wonderful interviews. The sound is bad, they feel awkward in a way they never have, almost draggy and choppy. I also miss being able to hear snippets of the singer’s performances. i don’t understand why you would want to take something that was so wonderful in the past and turn it into such a low quality output. is there some hidden benefit of this format that I’m not seeing??

13. karen says:

Slezak – you forgot about Didi Benami stopping and ASKING to start over! It was some performance with her at the piano i think!

14. Luiz says:

Thank you so much for listening to us. This week was so much better, and it has everything to do with 2 things: the length and her being there in person and interacting directly with you.

Like MK a lot and I’m not happy she had to go, but I understood it and took it well. Loved the interview!

I still think some editing and a higher quality audio would make a nice difference, but it’s really getting back to the interviews I’ve always loved from Michael. Hope you guys keep getting better at this so-called new technology, but as far as making us feel you care about our opinions and suggestions, I’d say you’ve already mastered the most important aspect of this. Again, thanks for that!

15. Mary Godin says:

I love MK. I loved the interview. I voted for her since day one and honestly a couple other contestants should have been kicked off before her. I am happy that she’s going on tour. Try again next year MK!!! And there’s always the Voice. You go girl!!!!!!love ya

16. Good gawd,please no more of this Google Hangout thing. I can’t hear MK’s voice very clearly. The picture is hazy,I hate listening to this interview,why fix something that isn’t broken??? Please revert back to the old format that we really enjoy. It’s not enjoyable watching this long,non HD picture,on & off sound interview.

17. laura says:

The first one to come out on idol? I don’t remember Adam Lambert denying he was gay. I think he let it be known to everyone!

18. CathyEM says:

Michael, I don’t know whether this is a Google hangout/compression thing, or just due to microphone placement, but it’s really hard to understand what you both are saying (especially MK). I found this very frustrating to watch as much of the sound is just garbled.

19. danin says:

Would have liked to know more about MK’s performances prior to Idol. She didn’t really address that or maybe Mike didn’t ask?

20. Oh, and high heels! Fabulous.