Exclusive

The Good Wife Exclusive: Josh Charles On That Shocking Twist [Warning: Spoilers]

The Good Wife Will DiesIf this week’s The Good Wife is still sitting, unwatched on your DVR, hit the nearest exit. Everyone else, read on…

Last spring, Josh Charles inked a deal to return to The Good Wife for the show’s current fifth season, but – as shocked viewers learned Sunday night — it wasn’t for the entire season.

RELATED | The Good Wife Exclusive: Exec Producers Robert and Michelle King Reveal Why Will Had to Die, Preview the Fallout to Come

In what is sure to go down as one of the most outta-nowhere deaths in TV history, the actor’s alter ego, attorney Will Gardner, was gunned down by his unhinged client, Jeffrey Grant (returning guest star Hunter Parrish), in the middle of the courtroom. Later, he was pronounced dead at the hospital.

In the following exclusive interview, Charles — an original cast member and the CBS drama’s de-facto male lead — opens up to TVLine about why he opted to walk away from his enviable day job (and yes, leaving was his choice), the role Julianna Margulies played in his decision, the Will/Alicia scene that left him emotionally distraught (surprise: It hasn’t aired yet!) and much, much more.

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s Already Renewed? What’s on the Bubble?

TVLINE | When did you decide this was going to be your final season?
I knew last year. Through discussions with the producers and Julianna, we all kind of thought of an idea that [included me coming] back this year to do a set amount of 15 episodes, and really build towards something and give the character a more proper goodbye.

TVLINE | Why did you want to leave?
It wasn’t anything bad. Creatively, I was just ready to move on to the next chapter. After having a long conversation with Julianna, and with [series co-creators] Robert and Michelle [King], I liked the idea of coming back and doing a finite amount of episodes. It all sounded like positives for me and for the show, and that turned out to be true. Once the decision was made and we knew what we were doing, it made it very special for me because I knew going into this season that this would be my last year, that I would be doing these 15 episodes. And it gave everything a real heightened quality for me.

TVLINE | Was Julianna disappointed?
Julianna and I are very good friends. She’s the reason I’m doing this show; she thought of me for this role, and called me about it when they were casting it. That friendship and bond will always be there. She was the first person I called when I was considering what to do. I talked to her very honestly about how I was feeling, and, as a friend, she really understood my point of view and respected that decision. There was some sadness in the conversation because we knew this [was] coming to an end. She was sad, but very supportive and understanding… I never wanted to leave the show in a bad place. Where Julianna was really helpful was in coming up with the idea of doing maybe a little bit more than just a few episodes this season, and that’s where I came up with the number 15. It got stuck in my head; it sounded like the right amount. And that allowed everybody to plan for it and build accordingly. She was very instrumental in that. And, also, in talking to Robert and Michelle about where we were going this year, it sounded very exciting — for the show and for my character.

TVLINE | What was your reaction when you learned how Will would exit?
I was very supportive of it. I thought it sounded really powerful and strong and shocking.

TVLINE | Given all the acclaim the show has garnered this season, and, specifically, the accolades that have been showered on you — you won a People’s Choice Award, you were nominated for a Golden Globe — did you ever stop and think, “Do I really want to walk away from this?”
No. Creatively, I’m excited about where this year has gone, and the depths that they’ve taken Will to has been really interesting for me. It has been an overwhelmingly positive experience. [But] you just kind of know sometimes when you’re ready to move on to new experiences. And that [doesn't mean] there’s something wrong with this experience. It’s more about what I want to explore. It does me no good to second-guess that.

TVLINE | How do you feel about the place Will and Alicia ended up in? There was that nice scene outside the courtroom before he was shot…
The ice definitely thawed a little bit between them, and you see that maybe they could be moving towards a new direction, a softening of this anger that’s been circling around their relationship. And the sense of betrayal, you feel that soften a little bit.

TVLINE | Was it hard saying goodbye to the cast and crew?
It’s sad, obviously. The beauty of television is the sense that, unlike any other medium, you develop relationships of such depth and length, more so than films or even theater. You see these crewmembers that work so hard and give so much and help contribute and collaborate to make the show what it is. You see them more than your own family. So the bonds are really deep. There are a lot of people on that show that I’m going to miss a great deal.

TVLINE | What was it like shooting the hospital scene with Christine Baranski and Archie Panjabi?
That was very tough for both of those actresses; they had to do a lot of heavy lifting. I just had to lay there. Christine and I have become incredibly bonded over these last four and a half years, and it was a hard time for us. Tough scenes, tough grieving.

TVLINE | You’re returning in next week’s episode in a series of flashbacks from Alicia’s POV. Was it weird to shoot your death scene and then turn around and come back?
I told them when the decision was made last year, “Look, I don’t know what my schedule is going to be like, but let’s see how the season is going to play out. If you need me to do one or two more and I’m around and available and it can help tell the story you want to tell and help elevate whatever you want to do, let me know.” So Robert reached out to me and said, “As we’re crafting [Episode] 16 in the writers room, we [need Will].” And I immediately said I’m game. Let’s do it. And that really was my last time shooting on the show. Will’s presence is deeply felt in [next week's episode]. And the script is extremely powerful. The shock is in Episode 15, but Episode 16 is where you see the ripple effect of how everyone is taking the news. Reading the script was very hard for me. The scenes between Alicia and Diane… it really broke me up reading it. It was beautifully written and crafted and I was thrilled to be a part of it. There’s a moment at the end of the episode where Alicia is dealing with her memory of the day that it happened… Let’s just say that there was a phone-call moment that I had [which was] the last piece of real acting that I did on the show, and that was a very emotional moment for me. I think we did about five or six takes. And as each take progressed, I found myself getting more and more emotional, because I realized this is the last time I’d be talking as this character. This emotion came from some sort of deep place inside of me. And I had to kind of contain it somewhat. But that was when it hit me. That moment was one I will remember for a long time.

TVLINE | What’s next?
I’m doing a little indie film with Sarah Silverman [now, titled I Smile Back]. That’s it for the time being.

TVLINE | Would you do another TV show?
Absolutely. I love the structure of television. I love being able to craft a character over a long period of time. I think more than likely it would probably not be 22 episodes a year. I’d put the writing on The Good Wife up against any of the cable shows. It’s just that 22 [episodes] a year is really hard for everybody. For me, just newly-married and wanting to have a family and wanting to do other things, the more likely scenario is a 10 or 13-episode situation. It really is about the material. TV has been very good to me. I felt very blessed to have had this gig.

TVLINE | Any final thoughts?
I know people will be shocked and some fans will be upset, and maybe even angry, and I can take the hit on that one. If they’re going to blame anybody, they can blame me. But I think it’s going to send the show in a new direction and it’s going to just keep being fantastic. I’ve been really proud to be a part of it. It’s the longest job I’ve ever had. I leave with my head held high and feeling, hopefully, that I contributed in some small way to make it what it is.

1. betsy says:

seriously, I love Homeland, I love Scandal – but I have maintained for years that this is the best-written show on tv. and tonight the Kings NAILED IT. Yes, heartbreaking, and I don’t think I’ve stopped shaking. but man, what an ending. and while I was an Alicia/Will shipper, I’m anxious to see how this informs her future, both with Peter, and with the law. Kalinda will have no one to rely on, and that may mean a thaw with Alicia. Diane lost her best friend, her partner. Her husband won’t be able to console her. I love angry Diane.

I never saw it coming. (well, other than the defendant taking the gun from the bailiff. HELLO- let’s not stand next to the defense table with your holster unsnapped!! that was transparent he was going to take it – but I thought he’d kill himself! never anyone else!) I can’t wait to see what happens next.

2. Tracey Walker says:

without a doubt,excellent episode but I’m gone! Good Wife is OVER

3. Malinda says:

The most perfect show….and now it’s ruined!! I’m stunned! If MJF takes over as the new Will…….bye, bye to my fav show! OMG

• jcscott125 says:

There are 5 stages of grief. It appears the vast majority of these comments could be assigned a number. 1. Denial. (He’s not dead!) 2. Anger (What the hell? I’m never watching this show again!!) 3. Bargaining (if only he and Alicia had had closure, I could live with this.) 4. Depression (wow, this sucks. This really happened. I miss him already and it will never be the same.) And finally, 5. Acceptance (I can let myself cry because I miss him but the show will move forward.)

4. Sad says:

That was devastating. The writers were cruel, but it’s their story. Still, my eyes are still drying.

5. Susan colley says:

I guess most of you haven’t watched Game of Thrones. On that show two of the male leads were killed off during the first 2 seasons and then there was a total Bloodbath of a Wedding. The Writers proved that you could kill off major characters and most people were shocked but continued to watch it. First thing I said to my Husband was, ” The Good Wife meets Game of Thrones.”

• @Susan says:

I’ve watched GOT. And to compare these two situations is, to me, an oversimplification. Shallowly, yes, now both have killed off a major character, that’s where the similarity ends, IMO.

• The difference on Game of Thrones is that it’s based 100% on a book series. It’s not like it’s just loosely based and they are doing their own thing entirely and decided to kill off major characters ‘just cause’. Therefore, all the main plots that have happened in the books, including the deaths, have to happen on the show. Sure, the deaths might be extremely surprising to non-book fans, and I’m sure the writers are well aware of that, and probably embrace it, but it’s not like the writers are like ‘let’s kill this person off out of nowhere for shock value’. They simply HAVE to happen, as they are choosing to to remain faithful as they can to the text and have been from the start. Besides, going into a show like Game of Thrones, most people I’m sure very quickly understand that death, for any character, might be just around the corner. It’s expected and that’s very much the type of show it is.

The Good Wife, on the other hand, did not have to kill Will.

• ParkerWyeth says:

They don’t have to follow the book. Many shows don’t They change and add or delete a lot from the original. Even something as simple as The Walking Dead varies a lot . Many times the show and book are entirely different.

6. schu says:

I somehow just started watching this season, so I don’t even have the devotion or history with these characters, but geeeeeez was I shocked and so thrown for a loop. That has got to be the most unexpected death I have ever seen on a show. Well done writers, it really actually pleases me so that some stories can still be kept completely under wraps. Gotta get started on all the episodes from the beginning now. Really, what a shocker!!!

7. LaLa says:

First, James from Scandal, then Will from The Good Wife, and THEN Lucas from House of Lies . . . It’s just too much. My nerves.

8. Britt says:

I am not happy at all. He’s one of my favorite parts about The Good Wife. Why must all of my favorite characters get killed off in one season/year.

9. Susannah says:

If Will’s gone, so am I.

10. Brett says:

I was stunned by the twist. But I also can’t wait to see the fallout in the next few episodes.

I never quite understood the people who thought Will & Alicia were endgame. Yes, they had wonderful chemistry and had some many hot scenes together. But the show has always been at its core the story of Alicia as a strong and independent woman.

11. lakawak says:

Ahhhh…another one of those blogs written by a child who thinks that the world began when they were born, and therefore, with few exceptions, TV didn’t exist until the 21st CEntury.

12. James Ford says:

Shocked but than I’ve Seen Josh Charles now in three shows SWAT, 4 Brothers and The Good Wife and in every one of them his character was shot and killed.

13. Karen says:

I love you Josh Charles, but you’re breaking my heart – so much so that I cannot sleep

14. Dani says:

i am SHOCKED. speaking of tv deaths, lucy’s death on ER traumatized ten year-old me so much, it was the first time i ever felt so strongly about a fictional character dying… you think i’d be used to it almost fourteen years later but nope

15. TV Gord says:

Now that the interview is included, I am saddened, but content with the dramatic twist. I can’t wait to see what happens next! It’s sad to see so many people saying they are done with such a great show. Their loss.

16. Ruby says:

Glad to see Josh Charles is so beloved. I’ve been a fan of his since the 80s and had no idea he is so beloved to so many.

17. slyons3020 says:

I am utterly shocked! That is all I can say right now….

18. joyce says:

Okay, why did the actor leave the show? The actor apparently left the show by choice, so why?

And then secondly, why did they do it the way the did? Will on a gurney, fully clothed, with shoes and a neck wound-completely unattended. PLEASE NOTE: COMPLETELY UNATTENDED and UNTREATED.
    Sorry people but when you are admitted to the ER, they take your clothes off (tear them cause its an emergency) and remove your frickin shoes. They don’t just shove you behind a curtain where people can walk in and find you.

• TV Gord says:

He was dead. How do you treat a dead person? Also, if you’re familiar at all with a real ER, there’s no set of rules for what happens from patient to patient. I once found my brother (who was in traction after a car crash) without anyone telling me where he was. Sometimes, an ER is chaotic, and people are too busy to tell you where to go and where not to go.

• jcscott125 says:

He was Dead On Arrival. The only ER treatment for that is a white sheet.

19. thatgirlp says:

I’m so done with this show! WILL and Alicia was the thing that drew me to the show…WTF! There could have a better way to go than that. CBS sign them for a six season…well good luck with that! I invested 5 years in this show and to pull such a crazy move like that is just wrong!

20. Mandy says:

Nooooo. They killed my favourite character of all times!!!! I can’t deal with this. I want to be mad at Josh Charles but I can’t. I’m mad with the Kings and the writers in general cos they have ONE YEAR to think how to exit Will and they killed him!!!

21. Donata Dimel says:

I am done with watching the show I have watched it since the first episode but killing Will off did it for me Goodbye and good luck

22. Lorri Smyth says:

I watched The Good Wife with a stunned sense of a series ending without realizing ahead of time that I was watching the final episode. Tears, heart-pounding disbelief, and a sense of betrayal all at once… I kept knowing that he would take a tiny breath and would beat the odds and survive after all. It had to be…after all, the show is basically the chemistry between Will and Alicia. Without one or the other, how does the show go on? I believe this was the death knell for the show — we’ve spent five years knowing in our hearts that those two would always be a little bit together, but would someday be together yet again. Now all of that is gone. Chris Noth as romantic lead? Hardly. Michael J Fox? I don’t think so. I’ll watch the rest of the season, of course. I still love the other characters — it’s just clear to me that this will be its final season and that makes me very sad.

23. pinaymestiza says:

i am having migraine here… this is too much… not WILL… not him… nooooooooooooo…

24. Mad fan says:

Hell yes I am ANGRY. Sorry Josh but you just ruind my favorite TV show. You made me cry. So, what now you go leave one of the best TV shows to do an indie movie..seriously I mean SERIOUSLY! Stupid Josh you ruind my favorite TV Show UGHHHH

25. barbara says:

I was totally caught off guard by this episode; however Will dying doesn’t end the show. There are so many other good actors. I have faith in the writers. This is the best dramatic show to come about in years. I wish Josh the best and I think we ought to give Alicia and get husband a chance. After all, she is the good wife.

• jcscott125 says:

Geez, finally, thank you, someone stating the obvious. I had to read a disturbingly large number of posts before finding this. You’re 100% dead on.

26. julia says:

OMG didn’t see that coming. Not for one second! I loved Will so much!! But, I also love the show and I can’t wait to see what happens next. I can only assume the acting/grief will be incredibly well done. I’ll definitely miss his character, but I think it will still be a good show.

27. barbara says:

I will definitely keep watching this show.

28. Chicharron says:

And here i thought the highlight of the episode was going to be how Alicia schooled that justice guy. I really liked Will but the show’s been on a momentum. Almost made me forget the horrendous Kalinda VS husband season. Even Alicia forgot she once married a MAN! Now i’m curious how the show’s going to turn out. Maybe some Alicia/Diane showdowns? Big challenge for the writers. Keep it up!

29. Mandy says:

The ruined the show…jump the sharck. They could have send him to NY or into coma or w/e and then bring him back for a happy ending or a good ending for their story (i mean JC would totally have done some other episodes in a 6 season like idk 3 or 2). For Will story..but noooooooooooooooooo. Will Gardner couldn’t be happy never, he did everything for Alicia and what she did (or what the writers did) to betray him and get both angry at each other. How I could care about Alicia now?!?!?! What she could end up with none and leave a happy life but what about my Will???? Urgggg

• jcscott125 says:

Send him to New York? Come on, if you’re going to get rid of him why be wishy washy? They did not jump the shark, if anything they did the opposite. You just wish this hadn’t happened. Not the same thing.

• jcscott125 says:

Also though…Alicia is going to suffer. A LOT. I don’t know if that’s a plus or a minus to you. But she’s going to totally lose it.

30. Marta says:

I watched this for all these seasons because I kept hoping that Will and Alicia would get together and that lying cheating husband of hers would finally get dumped. I actually had tears running down my face when I realized what happened. I understood right away that Josh Charles wanted off the show….how sad. I will never get my happy Good Wife ending now. Sucks. My husband was actually alarmed when he saw my face….I’ve never reacted that way to a TV show before. I need a drink! Bartender….a Shirley Temple please!

31. sam says:

no…. The only reason I use to watch the show….not watching anymore….make a bad nightmare…wake up Alisha wake up

32. J says:

I don’t think I’ve ever been this sad after watching a show. I feel so empty and confused. I hate that it’s just over. I understand Josh Charles’ need to move on and try new things, and when I read that he’s newly married, I got it. But to know he was shot, and see him dead, ugh so painful. SoDamnPainful. :( I wish the writers had stopped the whole dumb Will and Alicia thing a long time ago, it was getting redundant, and was most probably a boring part to play as well. :/

I love Will’s character, it was the best, and it made the show what it was. I even loved the fighting scenes, because they both did it so well.

As much as I do love M.J. Fox’s craziness, he is not Will. And his personality is the opposite of the person who needs to come into Will’s office.

So sad…

33. Snitt says:

No there is no witness protection he is gone I was shock, but this is what he wanted to do leave and do something new. My time has come to an end with the show also now that Will is dead.

34. K says:

I hated this episode! The show will never be the same and I have no desire to watch anymore. I wish Josh Charles the best but I watched for Alicia and Will. I can’t stand Peter! I feel devastated!

• jcscott125 says:

35. Diz says:

I don’t know where this guy thinks he’s going to be as popular as this character anywhere else right now. If he doesn’t care then good for him, but good riddance and buh bye.

• jcscott125 says:

But that’s the beauty of it. I think he’s looking for new, not necessarily better.

• ParkerWyeth says:

Exactly. An actor never knows whether the character they’re portraying will be well received by the public or not. All they can do is portray the character as they believe they should be. Everything else is a crap shoot. Some actors get comfortable in a role, but most want that challenge of something new. Josh will know it when he finds that part he wants to play. I wish him well.

36. 'A' is Alive says:

Well dang. All these actors/actresses deciding to leave these shows… Sandra Oh and Crystal Reed as some examples… We know Crystal’s character was killed off and now Josh’s. I hope Sandra’s character gets a resolution that doesn’t involve death… But unlike Crystals character (we just didn’t know which character would die, but we knew a death was coming), this was totally out of nowhere. Like no one would have guessed!

37. johnhelvete says:

Pretty sick of reading about “lazy writing” on the internet when viewers don’t agree with decisions made by the writers of a TV show. The kid on Resurrection uses a smartphone to type out “Arcadia” that is “lazy writing”. The Good Wife kills off Will that is “lazy writing”

• jcscott125 says:

Lazy writing is keeping a character past his prime, not killing one at his peak. Lazy writing is when nothing happens. There won’t be anything simple about how his death impacts like 12 different characters. That doesn’t sound like laziness to me.

38. Sephya says:

I’m devastated by this loss but at the same time I admire the writers for having the balls to kill off a main character like this. Seriously the best season ever for this show. RIP Will, I wish this was one of your crazy daydreaming segments.

39. pria says:

I am seriously shocked. I don’t know how the show can keep the same quality without Will. There’s no other leading man on the show that has anywhere close the interesting dynamics with every other character like Will has. And there’s no hope for Alicia, is she stuck with Peter? I hoe in time there’s a new love interest introduced, she desserves better than Peter.

40. What a classy guy in his interview.
    I’ll watch anything he’s on in the future, for sure now. Guaranteed watch if it has Josh Charles.

I’m sorry he made the choice to move on … but I have to respect his right to make that choice. He gave me 5 awesome, enjoyable years of a great TV show, and I want to thank him for that, not be mad at him.

41. skyart101 says:

I had feared they might do this with Josh’s contract up in the air. I think the right amount of money could have changes whatever he was feeling “creatively.” Downton Abbey all over again! Don’t know if I can watch this show
    Again. I feel like it crossed a bridge too far. Shame.

• Stacy says:

I don’t think it was the money. If it was about money then he wouldn’t have decided to still come back, but only for 15 episodes.

42. Stacy says:

I am absolutely floored. Props on GW for not promo-ing this or making this a finale. As the hospital scene opened, I was moved but not worried. I really didn’t believe – even a little – that he would die.

I wish Josh Charles the best and look forward to seeing him in other projects, but dangit I’ll miss him. He’s one of the more charismatic actors I’ve seen.

• C says:

Well said! Best of luck to Josh Charles. And thanks to GW for handling the character departure in an honest and raw way. Looking forward to next week and grieving the loss of a fantastically complex character.

43. C says:

I was shocked, then heartbroken. But, actors sometimes choose to move on. This show has always been a favorite and if we were to jump ship prior to seeing what the show had in store for us right away, we had no business ever watching in the first place. Before everyone else, this story was about Alicia. If you read all the interviews surrounding Will’s tragic death it is clear this has been in the works for quite awhile. Everyone was on board and nothing wa sudden, I look forward to seeing the ripple effects of this shocking turn of events. I will miss Alicia and Will’s chemistry and story, but I don’t know that a happy ending would have been very satisfying either.

• ParkerWyeth says:

I totally agree w/ you. The show was NOT about Will and Alicia. The show is about Alicia and her journey as a wife that has to go to work to support her family after her husband goes to prison.
      That’s how the show started.
      It seems that if all someone wants to see is a romance, then watch the daytime soaps. This show is much, much more than that.

44. nguber says:

I’m genuinely heartbroken. I wasn’t ready at all. I love Josh so much and I’m sooo sad about this. I don’t think I’ve loved a character as much as I love Will Gardner.

45. Et al says:

I look forward to seeing him in a dinner theater production with Dan Stevens and Mischa Barton.

46. jcscott125 says:

47. Millie Stansfield says:

Still iN shock and disbelief! I feel betrayed! The writing set us up for big time antagonism between Will and Alicia …and his hatred for her ( really unrequited love/anger) was the energy for this season.
    Since Will and the writers knew he was pulling out in a year, we should not have been so misled of the direction .
    I could have seen Will go off the deep end In His anger, passion and judgement, and then maybe commits suicide.
    That would have given Alicia guilt and regret to deal with.
    Now the issue of voting fraud is left hanging with no
    Will to testify…another worthy reason for him to suicide this.

Sorry Good Wife, this may be your last season. You better keep Kalinda strong and mysterious…can t lose her, too!

• jcscott125 says:

The idea is going to be how Alicia can come to terms with her feelings now that he is irrevocably gone–regrets and emotional upheaval. The writers made it very clear this season Will was still in love with Alicia. She has had distractions and a family and blocks it out but she can’t do that any more. That’s why they played it up. We are about to learn a lot about her real feelings.

• jcscott125 says:

A suicide would not be consistent with his character at all. An accident is something that happens. A suicide is a decision. BIG difference.

• ParkerWyeth says:

I could never see Will Gardner committing suicide. His character was much too strong. When I first got a hint that he might die, I thought maybe he could be knocked off because of what he knew about the voter fraud to protect Peter. But , never suicide.

48. Christy says:

Guys! Spoiler URL! Come on.

That said, wow. Never saw it coming. What a blindside. Well done, GW writers. There are so so so few deaths I ever agree with on TV, and sometimes I’m so angry I stop watching, but this one, after the shock wore off, really made sense.

• jcscott125 says:

I know, right? I was trying to picture how the season was going to play out and I was like if he won’t testify they’d charge him with a crime and he’ll be disbarred and if he does testify we’ll see him on a witness stand looking like a weenie and escalating tensions between he and Alicia even though they can’t really increase much. I never considered the 3rd option, but neither the first or second would have added much to the show.

49. ByeWill says:

We have entered a new age of television. No character is safe. I have had to learn that over the last few years. I will miss Will. I think Alicia will now divorce Peter because she will have a new perspective on life. If this is one result, then yay! Although I am really sad that Will and Alicia will never have their happy-ever-after, I look forward to seeing how the characters react to Will’s death. As for Josh Charles, I wish him well and hope that this is not a career-stalling or ending decision.

50. rhejie says:

I am devastated…will miss Will and Alicia happy ending…I wanna curl up and cry now.