Exclusive

The Good Wife Exclusive: Josh Charles On That Shocking Twist [Warning: Spoilers]

The Good Wife Will DiesIf this week’s The Good Wife is still sitting, unwatched on your DVR, hit the nearest exit. Everyone else, read on…

Last spring, Josh Charles inked a deal to return to The Good Wife for the show’s current fifth season, but – as shocked viewers learned Sunday night — it wasn’t for the entire season.

RELATED | The Good Wife Exclusive: Exec Producers Robert and Michelle King Reveal Why Will Had to Die, Preview the Fallout to Come

In what is sure to go down as one of the most outta-nowhere deaths in TV history, the actor’s alter ego, attorney Will Gardner, was gunned down by his unhinged client, Jeffrey Grant (returning guest star Hunter Parrish), in the middle of the courtroom. Later, he was pronounced dead at the hospital.

In the following exclusive interview, Charles — an original cast member and the CBS drama’s de-facto male lead — opens up to TVLine about why he opted to walk away from his enviable day job (and yes, leaving was his choice), the role Julianna Margulies played in his decision, the Will/Alicia scene that left him emotionally distraught (surprise: It hasn’t aired yet!) and much, much more.

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s Already Renewed? What’s on the Bubble?

TVLINE | When did you decide this was going to be your final season?
I knew last year. Through discussions with the producers and Julianna, we all kind of thought of an idea that [included me coming] back this year to do a set amount of 15 episodes, and really build towards something and give the character a more proper goodbye.

TVLINE | Why did you want to leave?
It wasn’t anything bad. Creatively, I was just ready to move on to the next chapter. After having a long conversation with Julianna, and with [series co-creators] Robert and Michelle [King], I liked the idea of coming back and doing a finite amount of episodes. It all sounded like positives for me and for the show, and that turned out to be true. Once the decision was made and we knew what we were doing, it made it very special for me because I knew going into this season that this would be my last year, that I would be doing these 15 episodes. And it gave everything a real heightened quality for me.

TVLINE | Was Julianna disappointed?
Julianna and I are very good friends. She’s the reason I’m doing this show; she thought of me for this role, and called me about it when they were casting it. That friendship and bond will always be there. She was the first person I called when I was considering what to do. I talked to her very honestly about how I was feeling, and, as a friend, she really understood my point of view and respected that decision. There was some sadness in the conversation because we knew this [was] coming to an end. She was sad, but very supportive and understanding… I never wanted to leave the show in a bad place. Where Julianna was really helpful was in coming up with the idea of doing maybe a little bit more than just a few episodes this season, and that’s where I came up with the number 15. It got stuck in my head; it sounded like the right amount. And that allowed everybody to plan for it and build accordingly. She was very instrumental in that. And, also, in talking to Robert and Michelle about where we were going this year, it sounded very exciting — for the show and for my character.

TVLINE | What was your reaction when you learned how Will would exit?
I was very supportive of it. I thought it sounded really powerful and strong and shocking.

TVLINE | Given all the acclaim the show has garnered this season, and, specifically, the accolades that have been showered on you — you won a People’s Choice Award, you were nominated for a Golden Globe — did you ever stop and think, “Do I really want to walk away from this?”
No. Creatively, I’m excited about where this year has gone, and the depths that they’ve taken Will to has been really interesting for me. It has been an overwhelmingly positive experience. [But] you just kind of know sometimes when you’re ready to move on to new experiences. And that [doesn't mean] there’s something wrong with this experience. It’s more about what I want to explore. It does me no good to second-guess that.

TVLINE | How do you feel about the place Will and Alicia ended up in? There was that nice scene outside the courtroom before he was shot…
The ice definitely thawed a little bit between them, and you see that maybe they could be moving towards a new direction, a softening of this anger that’s been circling around their relationship. And the sense of betrayal, you feel that soften a little bit.

TVLINE | Was it hard saying goodbye to the cast and crew?
It’s sad, obviously. The beauty of television is the sense that, unlike any other medium, you develop relationships of such depth and length, more so than films or even theater. You see these crewmembers that work so hard and give so much and help contribute and collaborate to make the show what it is. You see them more than your own family. So the bonds are really deep. There are a lot of people on that show that I’m going to miss a great deal.

TVLINE | What was it like shooting the hospital scene with Christine Baranski and Archie Panjabi?
That was very tough for both of those actresses; they had to do a lot of heavy lifting. I just had to lay there. Christine and I have become incredibly bonded over these last four and a half years, and it was a hard time for us. Tough scenes, tough grieving.

TVLINE | You’re returning in next week’s episode in a series of flashbacks from Alicia’s POV. Was it weird to shoot your death scene and then turn around and come back?
I told them when the decision was made last year, “Look, I don’t know what my schedule is going to be like, but let’s see how the season is going to play out. If you need me to do one or two more and I’m around and available and it can help tell the story you want to tell and help elevate whatever you want to do, let me know.” So Robert reached out to me and said, “As we’re crafting [Episode] 16 in the writers room, we [need Will].” And I immediately said I’m game. Let’s do it. And that really was my last time shooting on the show. Will’s presence is deeply felt in [next week's episode]. And the script is extremely powerful. The shock is in Episode 15, but Episode 16 is where you see the ripple effect of how everyone is taking the news. Reading the script was very hard for me. The scenes between Alicia and Diane… it really broke me up reading it. It was beautifully written and crafted and I was thrilled to be a part of it. There’s a moment at the end of the episode where Alicia is dealing with her memory of the day that it happened… Let’s just say that there was a phone-call moment that I had [which was] the last piece of real acting that I did on the show, and that was a very emotional moment for me. I think we did about five or six takes. And as each take progressed, I found myself getting more and more emotional, because I realized this is the last time I’d be talking as this character. This emotion came from some sort of deep place inside of me. And I had to kind of contain it somewhat. But that was when it hit me. That moment was one I will remember for a long time.

TVLINE | What’s next?
I’m doing a little indie film with Sarah Silverman [now, titled I Smile Back]. That’s it for the time being.

TVLINE | Would you do another TV show?
Absolutely. I love the structure of television. I love being able to craft a character over a long period of time. I think more than likely it would probably not be 22 episodes a year. I’d put the writing on The Good Wife up against any of the cable shows. It’s just that 22 [episodes] a year is really hard for everybody. For me, just newly-married and wanting to have a family and wanting to do other things, the more likely scenario is a 10 or 13-episode situation. It really is about the material. TV has been very good to me. I felt very blessed to have had this gig.

TVLINE | Any final thoughts?
I know people will be shocked and some fans will be upset, and maybe even angry, and I can take the hit on that one. If they’re going to blame anybody, they can blame me. But I think it’s going to send the show in a new direction and it’s going to just keep being fantastic. I’ve been really proud to be a part of it. It’s the longest job I’ve ever had. I leave with my head held high and feeling, hopefully, that I contributed in some small way to make it what it is.

1. woodyinho says:

Nooooooooooooooo

• Red says:

Stinks. He makes the show …with Alicia and the plot. I hope the show can keep viewers in … after this.

• If you think a show can not survive with cast changes, you clearly are not a fan of “M*A*S*H”, Cheers”, “NYPD Blue” or “Law & Order”.

• johnsmall says:

You got that right, Jatika!

• Yes I am a fan of those shows but after the deaths on Homeland and Board-walk empire I stop watching the show because the two characters that made me interested in the show in the first place were Gone and the idea of the love story of Will and Alicia on The Good Wife besides the law cases were my interest. so having a major character be killed in this manner will take a while to adjust and wonder what the end Game will be for the show because if it is to stay The good wife with the character Peter Floarick then it will be a bitter pill to swallow. I have the same issue with the Game of Thrones and Sons of Anarchy who do I as a viewer want to root for and continue to watch till the end. Good Tv always gives its viewers a sliver of hope so I wonder what hope will be on The Good Wife with such a major character leaving the show. Almost forgot Cried on Christmas episode of Dow-town Abby with the death of Matthew but thank goodness their was another character on that show I loved so I could continue to watch.

• Diane Arlotta says:

I was devastated; had to go back and watch it to realize it was a police officer that walked out of that hospital room. Kept trying to think if it could possibly be a “fake” death and that Will was not really dead, but appeared to be dead. This hit hard. Had no idea I was so involved in the characters and the story line. Don’t know how I feel about the show without Will, but not feeling good at the moment. At least it wasn’t the season cliff hanger where you had to wait months to find out if he was really dead. I appreciate that they did not do that. If they wanted powerful, they surely got it. One way or the other, Will was walking and he was going to be gone. Has left me sad and feeling a loss – maybe I need to get a life!

• enid luchetti says:

that’s it for the show he and Alicia made the show have a spark…there will be no more espisodes this is it….downhill from now…

• Barry hill says:

Michael j. Fox? To replace will? Horrible. Show’s going downhill if he has much part in it. Horrible

• Victoria says:

That’s the point. They’re not trying to replace Will. You can’t replace one character with another anymore than you can replace your beloved late pet with another animal. They are simply bringing in a new character to work with like you would welcome a new pet into your house. You can’t expect either to be exactly like their predecessors.

I’m willing to keep watching the show. It seems TV viewers are afraid of change anymore. Something happens to the usual formula and viewers refuse to give the new formula a chance. I’m going to tune in to see where this goes. I liked Will as a character, but I understand the possibility exists that the show can remain just as good without him.

• hallie says:

I am sure viewers will contiune if anything this is alicia’s story and although i am so sad will is gone but if he had to go this was definetly the best way if they just sent him off somewehre (which i thought was going to happen since we all knew the actor wanted out) then fans would just continue to hope for his return not to mention i think alicia would be stuck in the same space with will gone it seems like a chapter ended for alicia.

• Velma Reifert says:

I think Will’s death leaves a big hole in the show. The anticipation of Will and Alicia getting back together was a huge part of watching the show and now I’m not sure I will continue watching.

• Corinne says:

I am stunned!!! How could they do that??? Without Will … why bother!!!

• Sara says:

There is an unwritten contract writers make with their viewers, based on prior episodes and styles. This was a show we watched with our teenage kids to discuss ethics, etc. and also a show for adult viewers interested in complex, layered interactions between flawed, interesting people.

This season, the show veered out of orbit, introducing and mixing storylines so swiftly that plot connections were lost and characters seemingly dumped from show to show. Where have Alicia’s children gone? Will’s tatooed wild-child girlfriend? What happened to the crazy IRA or not IRA mobster lawyer hired by Will, disliked by Diane? If he’s careening around somewhere, why arent we seeing him? And what about Robin? She was thrown on the scene and now has disappeared.

Now, out of the blue, in one episode, Kalinda, suddenly dating Cary Agos, quits, a client reappears, and Will is murdered in a horrifying segment that came out of nowhere–this from a show that began as a ripped from headlines clever attorney story. Kings, this is not just sloppy writing, this is bad writing. Shock Jock, careening around, out of control and stupid. As much as our whole family has profoundly enjoyed this show, we are done with you now. What a shame you went for shock instead of actually exploring the complex people we once so enjoyed tuning in for.

• kris says:

This. Exactly.

• divashalo says:

i’m pretty sure you made up that unwritten rule bit. writers can do whatever they want to keep the show interesting and fresh. i agree that alicia’s kids, robin, and that mobster are all characters that we haven’t seen too much of lately but creatively this show really hit its stride this reason. the dynamic between alicia and will as they explored love, lust, power, ambition and betrayal was heartbreaking and enticing to watch.

• tvlover44 says:

word. as sad as i am that will is dead, i think this show has been fantastic this season and i love that it’s not so cookie-cutter, that storylines criss-cross between episodes (sometimes hopping over them even, as with the accused tonight), that characters are more or less in the forefront depending on the episode. and in addition to the powerful writing, there is some amazing acting, directing, editing, and music on this show, too.

• Ian says:

So true. This show did not let itself get complacent and has been killing it this year. Literally, RIP Will Gardner – I hate that he’s gone, but what a way to go, very well done.

• Hattie says:

Thank you, Sara, for taking the time to express your thoughts on the writing this season. I agree completely. I did not understand the critical acclaim for the writing on The Good Wife this season. This season has been the worst, in my opinion. Terrible writing. It has been uneven, inconsistent, and untrue to the characters.

• I so agree. The writing took a twist that is not only off course from the essence of the series and its excitement, but is disconnected, shallow, and unfulfilling to the audience. Guess everyone ought to be looking for a new gig as this season has been a disappointment in the writing. No way to recover from killing Will. Boo!

• merle says:

I don’t think I am going to have the interest in the show as much as before. i liked the under lying feeling that there was still a lot of feeling between Will and Alisha .And while I like Chris Noth, I am not crazy about him in this show.

• Zayne says:

You may be unfulfilled. Don’t drag the rest of the audience into this. The majority of things I’ve read agree that this season has been hitting it out of the park creatively.

Also, hate to disappoint you but people aren’t looking for new anything. The show’s already been renewed for next season and probably a season after that. Don’t speak for everyone with your knee jerk overreaction and generalizations.

• Doug H says:

I also have a feeling that the Kings got the heads up from CBS that unless there was a total breakdown in ratings, they were good for another season so this was a way to write out Will and still have time to work around.. Next week will be tough will probably another NCAA basketball delay as well as season finale of Walking Dead which garners the biggest ratings on Sundays..

• Killian Elf says:

Very well written. Totally agree.

• Carole Reeder says:

I love this show and I love the writing. the death of Will is just part of the large canvas. remember the show is “the good wife” not, “alicia and will” . this episode will win an emmy or golden globe and I will never ever stop watching until the show is done. I love how they push the edge every chance they get.

• jcscott125 says:

I know the loss really hurts but either you do it (kill him) or you dont. And if you do decide to do it, the idea that you should get some kind of advanced warning kind of defeats the whole point of like, television and why people watch it. Be as disgusted as you like, I think there is a huge emotional knee-jerk backlash at the decision. Give it a little time. If you have always loved the show then you have every reason to be shocked, but you have to trust the writers. They have a plan. They always do and they always will.

• KevyB says:

Well said. Josh Charles wanted to leave the show. The only way that was going to be realistic was if he died or quit or go to jail, and it was going to be extremely hard to make him quit realistically. Plus, going to jail or quitting means that character still exists and then you have to keep making excuses as to why that character isn’t ever onscreen. TV watchers are a bunch of babies. They don’t ever want to take the scary path. They want the safe, same path they follow every week, which is why NCIS is such a popular show. Give me surprise and sorrow and messiness!!!

• Carole Reeder says:

jscott125 you hit the nail with the head of the hammer. be sad, be shocked, but this is not the end of the show, it is a new beginning. and it is fabulous!

• Ash says:

I have to say Sara, I disagree completely. The Good Wife is one of the few shows that is consistent with their superb writing and beautiful direction. That is not to say that they haven’t had their questionable moments, but this episode is definitely up there as one of the best. The Kings were not being ‘shock jocks’, but taking a very possible situation and presenting it the way that the genre demands – dramatically. Having someone die is going to be shocking, especially if it’s sudden and unexpected. Good television is supposed to move you to tears (as this episode did for me, something I almost never do), change your view and *gasp* shock you.

I’m 20 years old – I watch The Vampire Diaries for the relationships and the tacky and overdone story lines (though Nina Dobrev’s portrayal of Elena and ALL her doppelgangers is absolutely phenomenal – that girl has some serious acting skills). I would rather watch The Good Wife for the stellar writing and engaging cast. The Kings made a bold decision to kill Will instead of, say, sending him to run a NY office of LG, but it was the most true development to the story given the circumstances. Josh Charles was an incredible addition to the cast and he and Will are going to be missed by the audience.

I have to say, I can’t wait to see how the characters will grieve and change over the coming episodes. Tonight hasn’t put me off, it’s reengaged my curiosity.

• II have to agree. I was totally shocked! Never expected that! Of course, if I had known Josh charles hadn’t resigned with the show, I’d have been less shocked.

• Tracy says:

Absolutely agree on all points!!!

• ParkerWyeth says:

I so agree w/ you.

• Carole Reeder says:

next week will be another explosive show with each character grieving in their own way and flashbacks. I am glad they did not ship him off, what a freaking surprise. so glad there were NO LEAKS.

• rose boziuk says:

I believe people today are dealing with so much grief and sadness in their real lives that tv shows
            are an escape from their
            own reality. Speaking for myself . The Good Wife could not have started at a better time in my
            life.

I needed that hour escape from my own reality . I have to say that killing Josh’s character
            off kind of “shell shocked” me back to a place I never wanted to return.

TV is therapy; kid you not ; for all ages and walks of life; kills lifes stings. Be careful Kings consider softer endings next time………consider where this country is at now

• Steve says:

Well Kings, I guess you just can’t please everybody. Don’t take it to seriously Sara, it’s just television. Remember you need all that conflict for well writen drama.

• d. Arnold says:

Hi. I agree with you. The TV show has lost its way. Without Will and the relationship between Alicia and Will, it doesn’t seem worth watching anymore. What a cheap way to send Will off the show. Seems like really deficient writing and producing.

• Zayne says:

If Will and Alicia were the only reason you watched, then you weren’t enjoying Good Wife at its fullest anyways. Enjoy your extra hour of time on Sunday Nights!

• Alyson says:

I agree with Zayne. I really don’t understand this need to “ship” couples on TV shows to such an extent that it’s totally lost on the viewer what the show is about. This show is about Alicia and her life experiences following the betrayal of her husband. I’m interested in her continuing journey from her point of view. How will the loss of Will impact her? Where will she and the show go from here?
            I can appreciate that your favorite aspect of the show is gone, and that you now feel the need to walk away. But for the show, anything less than permanently removing Will from The Good Wife universe leaves the shipper fans to chant endlessly for Will (and the ship) to return while simultaneously trashing anything the show tries to do going forward.
            This next comment is not directed at you d. Arnold. I do hope that fans who only watched for the Will/Alicia dynamic will find another show to enjoy instead of (like another show’s fans who lost a ‘ship’ character last year) hanging around here commenting about how horrible the show is and mocking any fan who chooses to still watch and enjoy the show.

• Rachael Glen says:

I can’t believe you can watch season after season of the Good Wife, and you boil it all down to a love story!!?? The actor was leaving and there are many, many strands of the programme to follow.
            Why don’t you try watching it again? You never know, you might see that there are other actors in the show.

• Danneel Dee says:

By the way, what happened to A. Ferrera’s character?

• mynameisdaisy says:

Yeah, that “unwritten contract” isn’t a thing. Sorry.

• ParkerWyeth says:

I find it strange that viewers want everything their way. This show was on the verge of being cancelled. I think the writers were preparing to wrap up the show in case they weren’t renewed. It’s critically acclaimed, but not enough audience. Now it’s been renewed for a probable final season. I didn’t find the writing out of control,stupid or sloppy.
          Season five has been one of the best. The writers have to be very creative w/o Will and Alicia storyline.

• Ada D says:

The Good Wife is extremely popular, I doubt very much that CBS would even consider canceling it. If Josh Charles wanted to leave then they certainly did it in a dramatic fashion. Will it hurt the series maybe, but there are so many good actors that it can probably survive. Are we the viewers sad about this turn of events, yes.

• ParkerWyeth says:

Unfortunately,the Good Wife is NOT extremely popular. Critically acclaimed,yes. The viewership numbers are VERY low. It’s one of the best written shows on network tv. Last Sunday(last night’s ratings haven’t come out yet) it was the LOWEST RATED SHOW in it’s time period. Next season is almost certainly the last season. The show has already hit it’s coveted syndication number of episodes.

• CK says:

Please don’t pull numbers from thin air and try to make statements. TGW is second only to the new drama “Resurrection” in it’s time slot and it still manages to pull in anywhere between 8 to 10 million viewers. It has a great audience and it’s going nowhere for the time being.

• ParkerWyeth says:

CK- You’re wrong. I didn’t pull numbers from thin air and try to make statements. What I posted is Nielsen facts. The Good Wife was the LOWEST RATED SHOW in it’s timeslot(Sun 3/17) . Total viewers are NOT what networks use to determine ratings. Audience share is.
            Last night it was the second to lowest rated(Nielsen hadn’t released their numbers for last night when I posted earlier). Last night TGW was third after ABC and FOX. Last night’s numbers were also skewed because of the late start for TGW. You’re right about the TOTAL audience number. TGW has a fair number of total viewers but, the network doesn’t use that to determine ratings.

• bonnie says:

I actually still love the show, but now an apparently innocent young man has wasted his life and IMO will have to be defended by no other than Alicia?? (JMO) I think they should have injured Will and possibly have him unable to practice law, whatever. But now the young man I wanted to be free for months now (his story was not spoken of for several weeks) is guilty of cracking up over the ordeal. Will and Alicia were such a big part of the show, and even in their own way. I feel like I lost a friend. I will watch in the future because Will wasn’t the entire show for me, but it will for sure be missing a huge part. And I did boo hoo at his exit. He will be missed, but only because I will continue to watch.

• RAGGEDT says:

Based on the previews for next (and coming) week(s), it looks like Cary will be defending Jeffrey Grant.

• My husband and I were completely shocked at the death of Will – he was such an important part of the show. Whenever he was acting his part, we were watching every nuance and scene he was in. We will miss him very much – especially his chemistry with Alicia – and his great acting abilities and his likeability. We wish him well with his future – his new wife and family. We look forward to Sunday night to watch one of our favorite shows (along with Parenthood and Person of Interest).

• Tina says:

Agreed. The writers DO owe their fans more than this. I’m done with the show. It was hanging by a thread lately anyway. The next season will be the last one.

• Zayne says:

The writers don’t “owe” you jack. It’s their story and their characters. They can write whatever they think is best. Thank you for embodying everything wrong with the modern television viewer. You are not entitled to anything other than not watching the show if you don’t like where it’s going.

This next season will almost definitely not be its last. Enjoy your hour of free time on Sundays. The rest of us won’t miss you.

• JOANN says:

U’VE BROUGT ABOUT ALOT OF QUESTIONS ABOUT WHERE ALL THE “LOOSE ENDED” CHARACTERS WENT..GOOD POINT!!!….BUT BY NO MEANS IS THIS “SLOPPY WRITING”…THIS ENDING GIVES THE WRITERS WHAT THEY WANT, AN ACTOR AND ACTORS WHAT THEY WANTED AND GAVE US A JOLT AND WILL GIVE US TIME TO “GREIVE” WILL IN NEXT WEEKS EPISODE….AND AS U SAID…U SIT AND WATCH THIS WITH YOUR FAMILY AND DISCUSS LAW AND VALUES FOR LIFE LESSONS AND EXPERIENCE… THEN THIS FALLS RIGHT IN LINE WITH LIFE LESSONS..THERE ARE NO WARNINGS WHEN THESE THING OCCUR…REMEMBER WHAT HAS GONE ON IN PUBLIC PLACES WITH GUNS…A COURT ROOM IS NOT EXEMPTED….THIS IS LIFE NOW…UNFORTUNATELY….BUT AT LEAST THEY DIDN’T LEAVE US HANGING UNTIL NEXT SEASON…I SAY “BRAVO” GOOD WIFE WRITERS…THIS WAS AN AMAZING EPOSIDE…THIS IS GOOD TV..I WILL MISS THE CHARACTER “WILL” AS I FELT HE WAS MORE THE “OTHER HALF” TO ALICIA…GREAT CHEMISTRY…I LOVE THE SHOW AND WILL CONTINUE TO BE A FAN…GREAT CAST AND ALWAYS INTERSTING AND THOUGHT PROVOKING…JUST GOOD TV…WHICH IS HARD FOR ADULTS TO FIND THESE DAYS…BRAVO….BRAVO…AND GOOD LUCK..JOSH CHARLES…WE WILL BE LOOKING FOR U!!!!

• Linor says:

Exactly. Word for word. I was watching this show only for Josh Charles! Oh my god this is terrible!

• Shawn says:

Perfectly said. I agree.

• C says:

I agree. Totally disappointed that this character is gone. I will not be watching any additional episodes.

• sott says:

Blah blah blah…get over it! Seriously?you watched the show for FAMILY discussion? Who does that? That’s about as exciting as writing academic papers on the history of paint to be exchanged as Christmas gifts. Personally…I watched the show for its unpredictable entertainment value – nothing MORE. This episode made me squeal with delight! Talk about surprise. Love it and the show will continue to be awesome. Quit analyzing and actually enjoy an episode with your family.

• Reen says:

I so agree!!!

• tracy says:

I wont be watching anymore. Without Will there is no show. Bad decision.

• Tina says:

Seriously!

• Tan in Berkeley/Asheville says:

I have to say that I’m in complete agreement. The chemistry between Will and Alicia (and the art on Lockhart/Gardner’s walls) was totally what made the show, for me.

Ok, yes, there is the incredible writing, and as a woman-in-love-with-a-woman I have very much appreciated Kalinda’s romantic escapades with women

BUT BUT BUT — the erotic tension between Will and Alicia is amazing. More than ANYTHING else I will miss the curve of Josh Charles’ lips when he’s talking to Alicia — utterly captivating. May you rest in peace, Will, and thanks, Josh!

• Jvanstaveren says:

It was Will’s (Josh Charles) request. I think it’s pretty cool that your employer and you can craft your exit. Josh Charles wanted to move on. I think they way the writers and Josh handled a actor wanting to leave was fantastic. Where else in this world can you leave a job and still have input :-)

• Natalia says:

Im so sad!!!! Without Will there is now Good Wife!!!

• Natalia says:

Im crying right now!!!! Without will there is no good wife!!!

• Amanda says:

He’s not dead….watch he’ll spring up again after being in the Witness Protection Program or something goofy!

• Patty says:

Well time to erase The Good Wife from my watch list!!

• John says:

Agree. I watched the show cause of will/Alicia. Not sure if I will continue to watch the show. CBS killed the show by letting will walked away.

• Jan says:

“letting”… hahaha. It’s his choice (and it was Josh who walked away, not the fictional Will..). What is he, some kind of TV slave monkey? Who must do our bidding? Sheesh

• Zayne says:

I’ll repeat what I said to someone else: If you were watching just for Will/Alicia, you were missing 95% of what makes the show incredible. Enjoy your extra hour on Sundays.

• Kin says:

I have had a lot of disappointments in good TV shows being cancelled and bad choices in what happens to a beloved character but this takes the cake! What a horrible decision by the writers. There are so many ways they could have dealt with Josh Charles wanting to leave the show but this just sucks and is beneath the shows integrity. I am really upset at the writers, not for killing Will, which isn’t what I would have wanted but I could live with it. I’m upset with how they did it. So disrespectful to the fans and to a great TV show character and love story. Worst TV death in so very long!

• jkgroves75 says:

We’ll said, I still can’t even process enough to think this clearly, but will and Alicia should have had a moment together as he was dying. Argh NOOOOOO

• Katherine says:

Agree- no good-bye. No last words. Television is for entertainment, not mimic real life. No good-byes and no last words are for real life. Devastated.

• Susanna says:

Truthfully, it was all those “moments” with Alicia that turned me off over a year ago. Could not stand Will in any way, and could not picture him with Alicia at all. He was an unattractive snake! They must have changed his personality for him to get this much support. The show itself was very good, but I am sick of so much cheating and underhanded deals. Hope Good Wife continues and does well without him.

• saabgirlatx says:

Totally agree….unless he turns up in witness protection. There’s gotta be more to the story -especially if they were able to keep this quiet.

• dana says:

Makes me sick how the writers decided to give Will the most sudden, senseless death possible, so as to inflict maximum emotional damage both on viewers and on the remaining characters on the show. That is not good TV, it’s extreme manipulation and disrespect towards your viewers’ sensibilities. Why the eff wud I tune in to watch the show next Sunday night to bawl my eyes out and watch everyone else on TV do the same?? Sick, sick, sick that the writers and producers would get a kick out of this.

• ParkerWyeth says:

What do you want ? All tied up in pink bows?

• MAS says:

I agree. They had all this time to plan and this is what they came up with? It feels like they were just told yesterday.

• Scott says:

Why? Cause it’s so real? Hey in real life death isn’t orchestrated the way we want it to be and wow….things get left unresolved…undone…unsaid. Welcome to reality…the writers did an awesome job here in depicting the unavoidable “surprise” and “unmercifully” side of death. This show is fantastic because of ALL it’s characters and their relationships…not just Alycia and Will.

• Martin says:

This ruins my life… I am utterly devastated.. please call the police and ask them to pick me up in about a week.. I’ll be right crawled down in fetal position still in my television viewing spot..

• Angela says:

OMG! I thought I was bad over Will’s death but this tops them all.

• dana says:

C’mere you…. GROUP HUG EVERYONE!!!!!!! (((((((((())))))))))

• Marcy says:

Amen, I hear ya!!!!!!!!

• Tina says:

Oh man, me too! this is too much, too shocking. They didn’t have to KILL HIM OFF! Now there is ZERO chance of him ever coming back. He left a really good steady gig to go and “explore new things”, (an indie film w Sarah Silverman? seriously? ugh) Well, if he wants to start a family soon, kids cost money! There is NO coming back for Will now. This is terrible. Bad idea, writers, bad idea.

• Joanne Todd says:

Really shocked, now find an exit for the Governor. I will not watch the show if Michael J Fox. Becomes a regular. I watched him in the family show when he was younger and I don’t like his roles now. I watch television to get away from health problems, no offense intended he is not up to Alicia.

• ParkerWyeth says:

I give Michael J Fox his props for having the courage to keep working even though he has a challenging disease. He’s doing what he loves. He’s an actor.

• people with disabilities says:

That is one of the most offensive things I have read in this discussion and you cannot redeem it with “no offense intended”.
        If you had said “I watch television to get away from [black people/Asians/etc.]“, anyone would appreciate that the statement is racist. Saying exactly the same type of thing about disabilities is equally disgusting.
        Disability is the last frontier that people seem to think is okay to discriminate. Comments like this are part of the problem.

• johnsmall says:

Speaking as a person who is not disabled (unless you count some of the rotten exam scores I got in high school and college as a disablity), I agree wholeheartedly with the comment made by People With Disabilities. That was a completely asinine remark to have made and the idiot who made it ought to be ashamed. And yes, I said “idiot.”

• Roberta says:

People, get over it. Actors do have their own lives to live. I will still watch The Good Wife. Will was fantastic but there are other great actors left to watch.

• Barbara says:

I have been a fan from begining but now I just lost interest……others good shows on Sunday night.

• Sandra Hagen says:

Personally hope his next character is less slimey. Also, HOPE that now Chris Noth’s character can come into his own.

• jean says:

thank you to the cast .i love the show. josh was one of best cast members.good luck

• joy says:

I cant believe it! I had gotten a little bored with it until Will & Alicia had the love hate relationship. I just knew they were getting back together. I hope they just make it look like he died & bring him back. Will please come back! Her husband ??? Definitely cant keep the intensity going. He died out with Sex in the City!

2. ad says:

The Most Shocking Death Ever!!!!! Even beats Rita on Dexter.

Still Jaw dropped

3. Hattie says:

I’m shocked and devastated. Will was the only reason I watched The Good Wife. I was hoping the big death would be Peter, but as the show progressed I knew it would be Will. I will never watch The Good Wife again.

• Sue says:

I’m with you..I see no point to continue. I DISLIKE PETER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Bob says:

I love Chris Noth.

• Deb says:

I really like Chris Noth, because of his earlier roles as a happy go-lucky guy who smiled and charmed all the time, but now he is a new character, and is supposed to be stern, a little bit drawn to the unlawful, he is older and set up to be the harsh, scary one. He can do so many different types of characters. I also dislike him as Peter, but he must be doing a great acting job to get me to dislike him in this show!

• Sandy says:

I agree with Hattie!!!!! The interaction between Alicia & Will was what kept me watching the show. I don’t think I’ll watch it again either.

• ZisforZombie says:

Not quite sure what to think! Will/Alicia were clearly endgame – right?! right?! So, what happens now? Will they make Peter more likeable (cuz, he isn’t…at least in my opinion!). Will Matt Goode take that roll? Aye aye aye!

• Rita says:

Chris noth needs to get with it now he truly is a great actor (law and order!). Not a Will for sure but a great story line remember the sexy scenes with Alicia. Good luck to Josh!

• Hattie says:

Loved Chris Noth on Sex & the City, HATE him on The Good Wife. Peter is irredeemable, to me at least.

• Pc says:

The only reason I watched was Alicia and Will’s relationship, too bad now, I won’t be watching. MJFox was great in the 80’s, now it’s different, he tries to be “cute” and “funny”, it’s weird. I’m sorry he’s got to deal with his illness, but taking “Will’s” place is a HUGE DISSAPOINTMENT…I’m signing off the show too. Good Luck with whatever plans you had, it’s lobvious that too many viewers are “turned Off”.

• m.c. says:

In my opinion, Michael J. Fox’s character on this show is NOT “cute and funny”. He is despicable and that’s what makes him so great. On the other hand, I don’t think he is going to “replace” Will and I read that he’ll only be on for a few episodes so, It’s not like he’ll be having a love story with Alicia…

• MGL says:

I said the same thing. I will never watch it again. I watched it for Will and Alicia. If he wanted to leave the show, there were other ways to write him out, so the fans could hope he would pull an ER George Clooney and meet up with her when the show closed. Now there is no hope.

• Hattie says:

I agree MGL. The articles makes is seem like they’ve known Josh Charles was leaving for a year. The writers know that Will/Alicia fans have waited years for them to be a couple. So, what do the writers give the loyal Will/Alicia fans for a send off? Months of Peter/Alicia and months of hostility, bickering, fighting between Will/Alicia, the Will’s sudden death. They could’ve given Alicia/Will a better storyline! They could’ve at least given us Will/Alicia fans a few months of happiness! Excellent example of a good way to write off a lead with Doug/Carol on ER.

• Kin says:

I agree, I am so disappointed with the writers. They did nothing edifying or worthy of these characters and the love story of Alica and Will to end their lifetime together in this storyline. They could have left it open-ended and have him put in witness protection or some other reason he had to disappear so that there could potentially be some future guest appearance and therefore lots of creative places to go. There was no resolution to their story and it did not end in any way that even acknowledged by anyone before he was dead that they even meant anything to each other. The great thing about being a writer is that you don’t have to make the story be ONLY miserable and horrible, so why did they?

• jkgroves75 says:

I think they were giving us some poignant will/Alicia stuff last episode, she thinking of when they first encountered each other after many years, and her smiling thru tears. Then him thinking of the exact same thing and having the same reaction. Also. Josh directs the next ep and it said in this story that there is a will/Alicia scene yet to air that left josh emotionally distraught. I bet they will give us some good stuff next ep. Then, it won’t be the same show which makes me so angry cuz it’s literally the best on TV. Devastated!!!!

• chris says:

What about the fans who didn’t like Will with Alicia?

• Bebe says:

I’m one of those fans who didn’t like Will with Alicia at all. I clearly did not see this show as just being about that relationship. This show is about a woman who suffered public humiliation and embarrassment through the philandering husband. She has not worked for 13 years and suddenly finds herself in a situation where she is forced to help provide for their children and take care of herself. We follow her as she looks for work and is eventually hired by Will’s firm. We see her learning how to deal with an overbearing mother-in-law who only has Peter’s best interest and who is determined to insert herself into Alicia’s and the children’s lives. Even though Alicia does fall for Will and vice versa, Diane squashes that relationship because of the partnership offer – having an affair was unacceptable. As she grows in her profession, we see her juggling her profession and motherhood, fiercely protecting her children from Eli’s attempts to drag them into politics concerning their father, and from the young men attempting to chat up her daughter when they opened the law firm in her home. She learns that Kalinda had slept with her husband, but eventually befriends her in spite of the betrayal. The show is about Alicia rebuilding her life without Peter (she does not divorce him) and without Will who became very angry and took it personal when she made a decision to start her own law firm. I like that the show offers insight into the workings of the legal profession and the competitive nature of law firms. We finally see Alicia take control of her own destiny by starting her own law firm (Eli and Peter were very proud of her) and we witness Peter using his power as governor to help his wife out against those that would hurt her. There are a lot of stories left to tell and with Will out of the picture, the show has many directions to move in. Can’t wait.

• mary says:

Wait-you would have preferred they got back together….then kill him off? I think you would have been just as upset.

• Glo says:

We had a Good Wife Watching Party with 15 friends that ended tonight. How dare they kill Will?
      Who thought up that plot, Forest Gump? Without Will, there is no longer a thrill. Who wants to watch dull, cheating, sneaky Peter. Resurrection here we come.

• tp says:

I stopped watching when they started fighting all the time. Now, no reason to go back. Wonder if this will have any effect on the ratings.

• ParkerWyeth says:

The ratings couldn’t get much lower. Not enough of the coveted 18-49 crowd watched this show.
        Almost every week, The Good Wife was the lowest rated show in it’s time period. I could never
        understand why more people didn’t watch. It’s one of the best shows on TV.

• Missy says:

The Good Wife and Bones are my favorite shows; all I need is for Booth to be killed off…

• That is highly unlikely, so you can rest easy. (Not impossible — but very, very, VERY unlikely).
        Josh Charles was never The Good Wife, however. He was one of the great actors on it … but the only person the show can’t go on without is JM.

4. Lori says:

Holy sh–

5. Cookie126 says:

I cannot believe it. This is crazy!

6. Caroline says:

Could not believe it!! I actually thought it would be a dream…then realized it wasn’t. Shocking but so well executed, no pun intended. Such great writing and acting.

• Kin says:

I’m sorry, but this is not great writing, it’s lazy and sloppy and renders Will, a great character more meaningless and was not worthy of him.

• Christy says:

I agree. So well done. It was so horrible because it was so sudden and random and final. It was a little too real, to be honest! I’ll keep watching but expect next week to be downright traumatic.

7. knd says:

WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED!!!!!

8. Evan says:

This ruined me. I am utterly devastated.

9. Patrick says:

Not a regular viewer. I only catch the occaisional snippet as I wait for the Mentalist. And I read this site, so, obviously I am extremely familiar with the show.

Shocked. Totally shocked. This was the biggest surprise death in my viewing lifetime. Wow.

10. Kevin Dillon says:

Fact ! I’m still trying to catch my breath…. I mean, I can’t wow, just wow

11. Juju says:

HOLY $%%#@!!!!

12. I picked the wrong Lent to give up Twitter

13. JB says:

The top tag at the top of the page & tab has the spoiler in it. Best take that down before people get pissed!

14. Rachel says:

I haven’t been able to physically move from my television viewing spot. What. An. Episode.

15. Para says:

I am soooooooooo ANGRY!!!!! I was still wishing for a happy ending for Alicia and Will!

16. Dare says:

OMG! Just OMG!!!!

17. Mackie says:

Please please please DO NOT bring MJ Fox on as replacement character…

• Keith Hanson says:

If the preview for next week’s show can be believed… MJ Fox is in the promo…

• DJ says:

I agree with you can’t stand M Fox . If he starts to be a regular we will stop watching/ We have not missed a show , but Fox will kill The Good Wife Show .

• ST says:

I agree! First, I must say that I cannot believe they killed Will off. What’s worse is that, judging from the preview, the show plans to bring M. J. Fox back as a regular cast member. I couldn’t stand him as an occasional cast member. I could not bear to watch the few shows he was in – his character was so irritating, nauseating actually – and now, well, let’s just say I don’t plan to watch any of the future episodes he’s in.

• Pinball Dame says:

Did you read the release letter.. it says he will only be in four episodes!! ugh.. read people read.

• mynameisdaisy says:

Oh, but if people read then they won’t be able to be *outraged*!! I mean, how dare that bastard Michael J. Fox steal Josh Charles’ job away from him and how dare these writers not give Josh more money and not even tell Juliana about it so that she could help save Josh’s job?? The internet is insane.

• mynameisdaisy says:

Nauseating? Really?

• I agree!!! Fox is an unlikeable character. Big mistake to write-out Will! Very difficult to insert similar dynamics that will keep peoples’ interest.

• Judy says:

So many interesting comments. TGW has been my favorite show on tv from the beginning. That bullet not only killed off a major player in this entire story, but also put a bullet in the show’s heart. The writers made the heart of the show Alicia and Will. There can still be great episodes, but what’s the point? I’d bet money this next season will be it’s last. Maybe that was the point.

• bluenan says:

This feels like a total crap. There is no much sense to see the show from now, after losing its main theme. They will deliver good chapters of course, but without the old flame that kept us interested for 5 seasons, what’s the point? Before, the show was emotionally charged due to this great, adult love history. Now It feels like just entertainment.

• sandi says:

I agree ! Please no mjfox as a replacement ! It was a shocker !

• Bob says:

MJ Fox is only doing 4 episodes. He is not replacing Will.

• Kin says:

I agree. M. J. Fox would suck as a regular lead character on this show and is no replacement for Will!

• Sara says:

My first thought was for Martha Plimpton to become a regular

18. Keith Hanson says:

Wow… Just wow. They’re shaking it up. Big time. and Josh Charles will be on Letterman tomorrow…

• Patrick says:

In previous interviews, Charles has always come off as a guy who enjoys the variety that acting provides. He seems like a guy who wants to do different roles. I have long thought the weekly grind of being a heavy presence on a weekly show would wear on him. Great actor, and I am sure the future is bright.

Plus, was THIS the BI that was referenced much earlier in the year?

• TV Gord says:

That’s what I thought, too, Patrick, about the blind item. And if I remember correctly, Michael said the death would come the day before the announcement of a new starring role. Maybe that’s what Josh will be talking about on Letterman.

• mjhg999 says:

Isn’t the new role Michael J Fox? Don’t see any intriguing love chemistry happening there.

• MP says:

I think the blind item referenced Ron Perlman’s death on Sons of Anarchy, but Will’s death was much more shocking and blind-worthy.

• dlr929 says:

I thought that was the death of Dan B. on Scandal. No one knew and suddenly the next day he was starring in a new show.
          This death, however, has me totally speechless…jaw still ajar, can’t catch my breath, pulse slowed. I want to grieve…somewhere with others who loved Will. And, yes, I know it’s fiction as my husband keeps pointing out to me, but it feels so real and sad.
          The loss is palpable.
          I was waiting for Will and Alicia to find their happy ending some day.

• jane says:

Wow. I am still reeling from this episode. I cannot believe they did that.
            I feel the same, my husband wasn’t devastated like I was, but he understands that I lost one of my favorite characters from this show and my happy Will/Alicia ending.

• Marijane Stomberg says:

The Romance between Will and Alecia is Over!! Don’t know if I can live with this.
      Josh Charles must be making big deals in movies now which I understand because HE IS A GREAT ACTOR!! But you have to admit the chemistry between Will and Alecia is off the charts!
      It was fun to watch while it lasted. BTW, ALECIA (Julianna) is a great actress and the classiest actress on TV or movies! good
      luck, Will

19. CK says:

Wow. Kudos to the TGW producers for truly allowing it to be a shock and not hinting at it or hyping it up. It was out of the blue and just wow…. I’m still processing it. You would have expected some ominous flashbacks of Wilicia or some prescient remarks. Wow, I’m curious as to where they are going to go from here.

• denela says:

I so agree! I think this is potentially really exciting, for the character of Alicia to get to explore her depth more…as evidenced by the ‘next 5 eps’ preview at the end of the show. I loved Will and Alicia together as much as as anyone (great tension!) – but the show is really about Alicia and how she navigates being ‘the good wife’. Really excited to see what comes next! (and down with cookie-cutter storylines!)

20. Lynn says:

Whoa. I’ve only seen a few episodes, but my jaw dropped when I read this. Definitely didn’t see that coming (based on what I’ve seen on Tumblr).

21. Michelle Cesario says:

Omg what just happened??????????

22. Jon says:

If Charles wanted to leave, the writer could have done so much better in writing him off. This was a terrible twist that ruined one of the greatest tv seasons in recent memory. I have no idea how the writers are going to come back from this travesty.

• Shawn says:

100% agree.

• AB says:

Shocking, yes. Bad writing? Hell no. This is an episode of TV we won’t forget for a long time to come, and it was perfectly done.

• Cheryl says:

I agree – life is dealt curve balls – glad to see that they have finally shown this on a TV show. I liked Will / Alicia – I understand the relationship but I also liked how they did not lead us to think that all could live on with a kiss and everyone lives happily ever after – sometimes it just doesn’t happen that way.

• abz says:

I agree. I’m still shocked and emotional. It’s hard to imagine this show without Will. But this was far from bad writing and is yet another creative direction for them to take the show in. I will never give up on The Good Wife. It’s my favorite show currently on television and nothing I watch can even measure up to it. I still have confidence in these writers.

• Kin says:

The reason we will remember it for a long time is because it IS bad writing. It does not do justice to Will’s character or the love story of Alica and Will or his work and skill as an attorney. There was no honor in the story line and no redemption in the way they wrote him off. Far, far from perfect.

• ROXANN says:

I agree this was not bad writing, but I understand people are so devastated over this turn of events Will Gardner great character Josh Charles great actor he will definitely be missed but this is one great show

• ROXANN says:

I agree this was NOT bad writing but I understand how people could be devastated over this turn of events Will Gardner was a great character Josh Charles is a fine actor wish him all the best. this is one of the best shows on TV in a long long time.

• Hattie says:

I agree! I won’t be tuning in to find out what the writers do next. I’m done.

• Ruby says:

Yep, to all of this. I am so baffled by this I didn’t even cry. I still have a huge “WTF” look on my face an hour later. Just..so, so stupid, and beneath this show. Lazy, stupid writing. And the preview for the rest of the season showed nothing promising. More Michael J. Fox? No thanks. I like HIM, but his character is so annoying and I’m always so disappointed when the episodes feature him.

• James says:

In the land of fiction, killing a character off is an artform that can help maximize the impact of what a story does to viewers and readers alike. What’s important is how The Good Wife can go from here.

• Simone says:

They can always do what some writers have done in the past: If Will decides he wants to come back, they can have it all be one BIG nightmare that Alicia wakes up from, or some life flash toward scene about what could happen if she never tells him how she really feels, at least that’s my hope, :-)

23. Todd says:

Unbelievable. Shocking. Disappointing.

24. Greg says:

Just, um, Wow, I sure hope Julianna didn’t chase him off, as is implied here. Because this is now a show on my bubble.

• cal says:

Deadline already revealed that he wanted out last season and Julianna convinced him to stay on for five.

• mynameisdaisy says:

Where does it imply that JM chased him off. There’s nothing above that implies that in the least.

• Samantha says:

Julianna was very supportive of Josh’s opting to leave the show. As per Josh she was instrumental getting him to extend for 5 more episodes of season 5. He says they’ve been very good friends, she thought of him while they were doing casting, that’s how he landed on TGW character of Will. Am one of the millions of Alicia & Will fans, love all their interactions, never boring, dynamic phenomenal actors. Will most def miss Josh but am a bigger fan of Julianna. With good writing, am curious to see how she navigates from here on . More power to TGW, best drama on TV.

25. Alex says:

So the only way for Will to return in the future is via flashbacks, which are gonna be so sad.

26. Sparky says:

I had heard that this was the last year of his contract but I thought that once they were renewed it was just a formality that he would resign. Completely blindsided by that. He was the glue that kept LG and FA together. Now what – MJF is going to be on the show full time now!!! Wow that was unexpected….wonder why he decided to leave???

27. Theresa says:

I’m so upset. Did not see that coming.

28. Carrie says:

Whaaaaaaaat? Talk about a shocker! Holy crap. Color me stunned. Should be interesting to see if show holds up without Josh. I’m going to miss him.

29. Tre1 says:

Will Gardner tops them all. It is #1.

• Tre1 says:

Unbelievable – – so did not see that coming. Can’t wait to see the back story. I know he just got married, maybe it is related to his change of status.

30. Dee says:

Why watch now? One less show to DVR.

31. Jared says:

I just cannot believe that happened. I have never been so shocked in my entire life. I don’t know how I feel. I clearly get too wrapped up in these shows. I feel like Marissa Cooper just died all over again. I’m just so angry. Will was my absolute favorite. They got me. They got me good.

32. Forwardad says:

I feel like a family member died. Obviously Josh Charles made the decision to leave. Michael J. Fox can’t replace him. I’m so devastated. Never saw it coming. TGW will never be the same .

• Jay says:

Couldn’t believe it when I saw it – still can’t. Don’t like the character MJF plays in The Good Wife, so don’t know if I’ll continue to watch or not. Maybe the first few episodes with him in it and then will see.

• Carol Lucier says:

Michael J Fox isn’t replacing anybody, he’s just returning to his guest starring role as Louis Canning, Canning will not become a regular character.

• Kin says:

I agree with this comment. This is why the manner in which the writers wrote off Will is so bad. The fans actually care about these characters and we understand sometimes people have to die or actors want to go on to other things but this was such a disrespectful way to end Will’s story. They way they killed him off and the storyline leading up to it with such tepid, insignificant interaction between he and Alicia just sucked. The writers didn’t seem to care about him or the fans.

33. Meg says:

The year of TV deaths. This is the 3rd one this season of all the shows I watch. I loved Will :(

34. JJ says:

Holy crap! I just went through a ton of emotions. I’m sure I’ll still watch, but my gut reaction was that I don’t really want to continue watching the show without Will.

35. Michelle Cesario says:

So we will never have any Willicia closure……and last week’s exchange does not count!

36. Mzmm says:

Cannot form words still in shock this is just as bad as Joss on Person of Interest’s sudden death. I have lost interest in Person of Interest even though I’m a Jim Caviezel fan. I am sure to lose interest in the Good Wife now, even though I’m a Juliana Marguiles fan. So sad. Too bad

37. nitemar says:

I can’t breath. I thought it was going to be Kalimda who was going to die because never see so much of her until tonight. So sorry for Will. Poor Alicia.(:

38. Amy says:

I am a occasional viewer (I mostly catch up in the summer), but after twitter started blowing up, I had to check the ep out, as I do with the buzzier TGW eps.
    I am so shocked and devastated. Can’t wait for the interview.

39. Wah says:

Please tell me this is not real life. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Sob forever. It reminds me of Billy’s death on ally Mcbeal.

40. Allie says:

I literally googled “What the heck just happened on the Good Wife” as soon as they revealed that he was dead!! I thought FOR SURE it would be some dramatic scene at teh hospital. And the ending with Alicia saying “hello” and then the fade to black was maddening! MADDENING!! Oh Josh Charles, I’ve loved you since Dead Poets Society!!

41. EmmaY says:

so shocked i couldn’t speak or cry!! why?!?!?!?!?!

42. ad says:

I think Matthew Goode is the new Will. As he was already included as regular in credits at beginning of the show

• tvlover44 says:

well, i’m as big of a willicia shipper as anyone, but i am intrigued to see what they do with MG – he is hot and a good actor, too.

43. jennifer says:

That was a well kept secret. The show is to be commended on the secrecy, but it leaves me a door to leave the show as well.

• Baileigh says:

In this age of social media where everyone knows everything almost immediately after it happens (or in some cases before it happens), yes this was a well-kept secret. After digesting this news for several hours does it still hurt? Yes, it does Will was my favorite character, but it is just that Will Gardner was a fictional character written for the sole purpose of entertainment. Don’t get me wrong I completely understand the grief over his death (I haven’t even seen the episode yet however, last night I felt like the wind had been knocked out of me for hours after I read the news online), but the fact remains he was a fictional character and his death will unfortunately do some great things for this show. As a fan, of the show, I am interested to see how the other characters develop after this sad event. With Will gone will Diane merge L/G with Florrick/Argos? How will Peter react to knowing that the other man who was always the thrid party in his marriage is dead? Will his reaction even be appropriate? Will Alicia’s grieve be the final straw that breaks apart her marriage for good? What happens to the son of a b**** he murdered Will? Does Will’s death bring Alicia and Kalindia back together as friends? There are so many questions that need to be asked as a result of this event that personally I feel that giving up on the show now would be a mistake for any fan.

• ParkerWyeth says:

Good post. You said it well. Anyone that gets huffy and quits watching didn’t really care for the show to begin.
        This is what writers do. I’m still a huge fan.

• Jean says:

This caught me off guard completely; but I knew when Will’s client began eyeing the bailiff’s gun and losing his sense of reality somebody was going to get shot and it was beginning to dawn that it was going to be Will – didn’t see his getting killed by it tho. Kalinda’s and Diane’s sorrow was deeply touching to me. I don’t watch this show just for one character – the show’s court scenes; the attorney decisions to defend criminals; the interraction between all the character’s; and lastly the clothes. Each character has been given the chance to show all their strengths and flaws and I find the writing excellent. The stories have come up with true to life experiences. I hope they network renews the show for some more years and am disappointed at the so-called low viewership. I too am looking forward to the change that Will’s departure will bring.

44. Erica says:

Totally shocked & disappointed! I can’t believe no one leaked this info beforehand. It won’t be the same show without Will and Alicia’s relationship.

45. Rebecca says:

What on Earth?!!! This is The Good Wife! They don’t pull this kind of crap. Shocking on The Good Wife is ballot box stuffing and wire taps, not a crazed gun man in the Courthouse. A little disappointed.

Admittedly, I did NOT see this one. Totally out of left field.

46. Jules says:

I NEVER would have thought they’d let Josh go! It was awesome writing up until an hour ago. I still think Jalinda is dreaming. I do not think I’ll ever watch good wife again. Leave it to CBS to self destruct ;-((. Awful awful. EPIC FAIL!!!

• Hattie says:

Amen! The show is done for me, especially since they ruined Alicia for me this season. Will was the only character I still liked besides Diane, and I don’t like Diane enough to continue watching the show.

• Keith says:

This departure is Josh’s doing… He wanted to move on… just like NCIS and Cote… actor moved on.

47. Geo says:

I’m glad they didn’t telegraph this. Will’s death SHOULD have a huge shocking impact; it shouldn’t be something we all know is coming so its impact is watered down. And if Josh Charles was leaving for good on his own decision (as is pretty clear from the emerging behind-the-scenes stuff), then I’m glad we’re not left with some namby-pamby “Will runs off to Bermuda” storyline or something that falsely gives fans hope he might come back. Some people are saying they won’t watch the show after this– I feel the opposite. It’s brave decisions like this, where what happens actually has a serious emotional effect, which is precisely why The Good Wife isn’t just a “good” show– it’s a great one.

• Sdpnj says:

I agree. Completely

• Marc says:

I completely agree. Tired of “shippers” ruining good shows. People are like sheep and that is why a majority of shows these days are watered down. This is a brave move with GREAT writing.

• Ashley says:

Am I the only one who thinks that REAL fans of TGW will stay and continue watching, even after this? The show is about SO MUCH MORE than Will & Alicia. Don’t get me wrong, I adore Will and wanted him and Alicia to get together. But this show is about Alicia’s journey first and foremost, and this will undoubtedly be a huge part of her story, and her growth. My heart breaks, but I am excited to see the ensemble rally together. This is just an opportunity for the rest of the cast to shine.

• Sara says:

Agree! I hate the shippers. They’ve ruined plenty of shows

• Hana says:

I call them “sheepers” because they’re dumb, they move in flocks and they say “Bah!” a lot.

How sad to think that the only thing that captures some people’s imaginations are romantic pairings. These people don’t think about anything else that’s on a show, just their favorite ship.

• cathy says:

Hellooooo! The show is called The Good Wife for a reason. It’s not supposed to be about Will! He was just the enticement. I watch to see how Alicia handles the tough stuff and proves it every time that she can! I’m not thrilled that MJF is coming on, but I am looking forward to watching Lockhart get back her control of the firm! Cath

• Andrea says:

“Hellooooo! The show is called The Good Wife for a reason”

This comment is the reason I often wish the show were titled something else because there have been MANY episodes that I have watched the show, and Alicia was the absolute LAST reason on the list. I like Alicia just fine, but the series is so intricate and layered that there are hosts of other reasons to watch. I’m profoundly sad about the loss of Will Gardner. The law firm that he created with Diane is no more. Whatever it will be in the future, you can’t have Lockhart Gardner (or LG) without Gardner. The show may be called The Good Wife, and Alicia Florrick will always be front and center, but it is possible to watch and enjoy it without her being what drives the show for a viewer. She doesn’t drive it for me, and Will didn’t solely drive it either, but he did touch and influence many of the things I do like about the show. That’s why I’m sad that the decision is so permanent and final.

• Shea says:

Agree – The Good Wife is the best TV drama on network TV. This episode knocked my socks off, but as a loyal viewer of the series since it first came on the air, this only entices me to keep watching. Just think of the delicious things they can do with the show after Will’s death. My guess is Alicia and Cary come back into the fold and turn Lockhart Gardner into Lockhart Florrick Argos which from the looks of the pushback from David Lee in the previews might just happen. Love that Michael J Fox will be back to stir things up and irritate the hell out of us. Plus don’t forget that there is something brewing with Elsbeth and her new law partner.

Folks, this is GREAT TV that will go down in the books as one of the all time greats and we shall all bemoan the fact when it has its final episode.

Just think of how we all reacted tonight – I was shocked, flabbergasted and screamed out loud. Couldn’t believe they did that. And then I sat back an said, “But why wouldn’t they!” Excellent producers/writers/actors. A+ everyone! Bring it on – again!

• abz says:

Exactly. I was completely devastated, but this is still such an amazing show and this sad thing (even though I wish that it didn’t happen) opens up so many doors for the show:
        – Power play at Lockhart Gardner
        – How is Will’s death going to affect Alicia and her marriage? Based on the previews, maybe Alicia will be on a downward spiral.
        – What will happen to Florrick Agos? Will it eventually merge like you said with Diane?
        There is so much ahead. Also, here’s to hoping since TGW does do quite a few flashbacks that maybe this isn’t the last we’ve seen of Will on the show.

• Carrie says:

Well put. So many possibilities, bravo writers! Now that I’m past the shock – definitely hoping for a Lokhart Florrick agos. Good call on Elsbeth. Hope Josh Charles will soothe fans by appearing in flashback scenes down the road. Sidebar : Juliana slayed it in her voluntary deposition – flawless!

• Pinball Dame says:

My sentiments exactly!!

48. James says:

So sad, josh charles created such a memorable character and he will be sorely missed. Hope he does get an Emmy for the show. So sad, shocked and saddened

49. Sdpnj says:

Shocked! Never saw it coming. When the unhinged defendant was eyeballing the gun I was thinking suicide. Multiple shots and I thought maybe the guards opened fired or something….saw the shoe and thought maybe kalinda would find someone else and Will would b alive…because, just no. Just. Whoah

• Bon says:

Please do not have MJF be the new Will or a main character on the show, otherwise good bye show…..

• Carol Lucier says:

MJF will be neither, he’s just returning to his recurring GUEST STARRING role as Louis Canning.

• Vera Morgan says:

I have to keep you updated because I’m simply AMAZED at the results of the spell you performed for me in getting my partner back to me in good health. Everything is going so well and EXACTLY how you said it would be. Even though it took a little time to fully progress, it was so worth it because things are just about at perfection! How you took my situation and completely turned it around to give me exactly what I wanted is beyond me, but something I will never question and just be completely grateful for me coming across you. God Bless you for helping so many people get what their heart desires. You truly gifted! . you can also contact him for help as well (arigbospelltemple@gmail. com)

• Donna Walters says:

I have no idea what you are talking about ….it makes no sense, your conversation was suppose to be about The Good Wife….and it came directly to me.Donna Watters….what in the heck are you talking about????????

• Donna Walters says:

what in the heck are you talking about? makes no sense at all….is it about the good wife? don’t think so

• Donna Walters says:

huh?

• Donna Walters says:

Vera?: are you talking about the Good Wife, cause if you are …….it makes no sense. really totally crazy ramblings…..can’t be about the Good Wife

• Kay Bowring says:

Personally, I liked Will fine but I watched for Alicia, Diane (a lot) and Kalinda (a little unless she comes out). I can’t think what Josh Charles is about unless he has something to top it. I think not… May he be very happy

Kay Bowring

• Herb says:

I agree completely on not having MJF be a part of this show. I am tired of producers using his illness to wring the sobs of viewers and hustle the show. His day has come and gone and my sympathies are all worn out.
        I will not watch the show altho i love Alicia and Gary.