James Rebhorn, Character Actor With Roles on Homeland and White Collar, Dead at 65

James Rebhorn Dead HomelandJames Rebhorn, an actor known for various film and television roles including that of Carrie’s father on Showtime’s Homeland, passed away Friday. He was 65.

The actor died at home on Friday, his agent confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter.

Rebhorn’s extensive career included stints on daytime (Search for Tomorrow, As the World Turns), primetime (Enlightened, The Good Wife, Law & Order, Seinfeld and Third Watch are just a few of his small-screen credits) and in feature films (including Scent of a Woman, Independence Day and Meet the Parents).

His recent roles included playing Carrie Mathison’s bipolar father, Frank, on Homeland and FBI agent Reese Hughes on USA Network’s White Collar.

Frances Fisher (Resurrection) tweeted early Sunday about the death of her onetime co-star.

UPDATE: Per our sister site Deadline, Rebhorn passed away from melanoma at his South Orange, NJ, home.

1. Matt says:

I like the role he played in the final season of Boston Legal. Tough lawyer, but not match for Alan Shore.

• Stormy says:

I remember him as the expert tire witness in My Cousin Vinny and as the game specialist in the Michael Douglas film The Game. RIP

2. J says:

One of Hollywood’s most venerable “That guy!”s. I always enjoyed watching him pop up and you knew you would get a solid performance. RIP. Very sad.

3. Joe R says:

I’ll always remember him as the abusive Bradley Raines on “Guiding Light.”

4. TaMara says:

Prolific and terrific actor. Sorry for his loss.

5. I remember him from the movie Independence Day… RIP.

6. Dan says:

Even as a big fan of Homeland, I always remember him as the Secretary of Defense who gets fired by the President in Independence Day. RIP, Mr Rebhorn, you did well.

7. Terri says:

Busy actor over the last 30 yrs, but I first knew him as the evil Henry Lange on As the World Turns!

• Renee says:

As The World Turns is the first thing I remember him in. And then Sarah Plain & Tall. RIP.

• George says:

He actually played two characters on ATWT. They brought him back right before the show went off the air to play Dr. Reid’s father for a couple episodes.

8. CSWB says:

His most memorable role for me was in the movie “The Game.” Great character actor.

9. Pavanne says:

I remember him first in The Guiding Light as the Future Beth Spaulding’s abusive father. He made quite an impression on me.

10. Diz says:

RIP, He was great in everything I saw him in. Independence Day sticks out the most, but I’ve also seen that 100x.

11. Cindy Hoffecker says:

It is sad to see the passing of a true versatile character actor. RIP

12. steven says:

He was the dad from the movie Black Check. Anyone remember that movie?

13. Joey Padron says:

Sad to hear about this. He’s a good actor. was hoping to see him in final season of White Collar. My thoughts and prayers are his family. RIP

14. Kate says:

I have to admit that until now I have always thought James Rebhorn and James Cromwell (of the movie “Babe”) were the same actor. Kind of uncanny how much they resemble one another both in looks and talent.

15. Teag says:

Ugh too bad. I know him from The Game, Independence Day and Homeland. Great actor.

16. robby0610 says:

The first thing I ever saw him in was Guiding Light, but I’ve seen him in so many
    roles on TV and movies since then and always a great performance. A great actor that probably didn’t get the accolades he deserved. I always appreciated his work, though. RIP, James. Your work will live on.

17. J says:

Meet the Parents…”Hey, now, ‘cut that out!’” (Everyone laughs)

18. Ali says:

Just an amazingly fun guy to watch on the big screen and on my TV!! He will be missed, prayers and thoughts go out to his family and friends…we will miss seeing your face and your unmistakable voice. May you rest in peace :)

19. JBC says:

He was really a great talent. Loved his as Agent Reese Hughes on White Collar. He will missed. Sympathies to his family. RIP James

20. sarah says:

Very sad! He will be missed on both White Collar and Homeland!