Exclusive

Exclusive First Look: Will The Walking Dead Terminate Rick Before He Reaches Terminus?

More than a few critics have suggested that it’s time for The Walking Dead to bump off its end-of-the-world-weary hero, Rick. But would AMC’s monster smash really go through with it?

New season finale promo art suggests that it might.

RELATED | TVLine Items: The Walking Dead Syndication News

As you can see in the exclusive image below, the show hasn’t supplied us with a run-of-the-mill picture depicting its characters en route to Terminus, the sanctuary whose motto is, “Those who arrive survive.”

Rather, the shot is of Andrew Lincoln’s shaggy sheriff, along with son Carl (Chandler Riggs) and their formidable traveling companion, Michonne (Danai Gurira), looking poised to do battle and quite possibly surrounded by the smoke that Tyreese and Carol saw in last week’s episode. Even more ominous is the tagline: “Who will arrive?”

In other words: Who will survive?

RELATED | TVLine Mixtape: Your Favorite Songs From The Walking DeadModern FamilyGirls and More

Do you think Rick will live to see Terminus and be reunited with baby Judith? Is there anyone you’re hoping won’t make it? Take a look at the image below and, while you’re waiting for this Sunday’s penultimate hour of the season (airing at 9/8c), hit the comments with your predictions.

The Walking Dead Season 4 Key Art Poster Rick

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Exclusive, First Look, Previews

1. Ann Jeanette Jones says:

Keep Rick kill the kid please

2. Angie Goodwin says:

Why would they ever get rid of Rick? He is the heart of this show. It would be a big mistake to end him! There so much more of a story line to create for him. A love interest would be awesome. Please don’t end this creative and addictive show by making the mistake of stopping its Heartbeat.

3. Marcus says:

I really enjoy watching Rick deal with the difficult decisions that are cast his way. I emphasize more with his character than any other. I know that no character is safe – but then again Rick has had the hell beat out of him several times so I wouldn’t say he’s “been safe” necessarily. I know a lot of people are annoyed by Carl – but it’s interesting to me to see Rick (and Michonne) trying to do the best he can to steer Carl in what Rick believes is the right direction.

4. velma flores says:

please dont kill off rick i like him

5. I’m a 50 year old woman and Rick is the hottest thing I’ve seen in a long time! (Sorry honey). Him and Daryl are the reason I watch! These two guys have a HUGE female following. The writers would have to be morons to kill one them.

6. Justin says:

The poster is saying WHO of ALL the groups will get there. Not who of Rick, Michonne and Carl will die. Please be just a tad smarter.

7. Josef says:

If Rick, Michonne or Daryl die I stop watching. I have no interest in any of the other characters and I couldn’t imagine the show without one of the big three. I would trade half of the cast to keep those three alive until the end.

8. Heather says:

Rick better make it! He’s my favourite character and what makes the “walking dead” such a success!

9. DOROTHY DERNETZ says:

RICK has to stay, KILLING off RICK is wrong WRONG WRONG.

10. Dealhpig2 says:

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!! I dont think anyone very important will die since they killed off Hershel in the other half mabye someone secondary but not Rick, Machone, or Daryl.

11. deb d. says:

You kill Rick off and I stop watching. Just sayin AMC!

12. carol says:

nonononononono

13. RobMF says:

More than a few critics are also idiots. That is not mentioned in the article though. Killing Rick would be the absolute dumbest thing they could do. Even worse than killing Daryl or Carl.

14. Yvonne Brewer says:

I love Rick. He must stay as well as Carol and Daryl. Rick is the main character so it has to stay this way.

15. Kat says:

One: they probably won’t get rid of Rick because he is the main character in the show and as well as in the comics, and they had said they where going to follow as closely as possible to the characters from the comics, secondly: it would be stupid to remove him from the show because of his position, thirdly anyone who thinks he should be removed because he is annoying doesn’t understand at all of the situation they are in apparently. Ya its a show but try putting yourself into the characters shoes….think about being in an zombie apocalypse, people you care about being taken from you left and right, killing your best friend…your wife/hisband/girlfriend/boyfriend you love so much being killed, the man of wisdom and solitude being killed by your enemy right in front of you, thinking your baby has been eaten by walkers, your family/group completely separated from you not knowing if they are dead or alive..being beaten half to death the traumatic and psychological effect it has on a person. Out of all of that Rick has beaten all the odds, still alive and kicking ass. So no he isn’t annoying what is annoying are all the people that are winning about Rick because they are to stupid to fully pay attention to the characters and what happens to them throughout the show.

16. Denise says:

Please…Rick Grimes cannot die. Now Maggie or Glenn? They can kick rocks. Carol may be a goner…but then Darryl would miss his cougar. Beth maybe? That would great too.

17. Steven says:

I think sasha or michonne or beth cause rick and carl are 2 of the main original cast an bout them and beth was takin Daryl could find her as a walker

• Jackson says:

Michonne is too popular and is now one of the main important cast. There is no way they are getting rid of her this soon.

18. Edrick Lamar says:

We, as audience, need to acquaint with the characters. We enjoyed and became close with all the characters from Season 1 and 2 because of it. If we do not acquant with new characters, the show will loose audience and come to an end. Killing the main cast without the proper introduction to new ones, is going to make the show shallow and pointless.

19. Amanda says:

Rick can’t die, at the end he is going to wake up from his coma in the hospital with Shane and Lori looking at him lol

20. leekantola says:

They should kill the writers. This has been a slow, peice of S second half of a season. Comics kick the $hit out of it. Shouldnt have ditched frank Darabont.

21. Kendra says:

NO. RICK is the thread that weaves through all the other characters. Please leave the show the way it is. Get rid of the newer characters if you must!!’!!!! Rick , Carl, Michonne , Darrell, Glenn, Maggie , Carol are all assets to this show.

22. Kevin says:

I am not so sure I’d stop watching if they killed Rick off, it would certainly be a very harsh and sad episode. Rick is my favorite, if the did kill him off they would need to really work it up with story line so we could as fans move on. I love the show but always re-watch season 1-3 to see most of the gang. I miss most of them and am grateful to be able to back and watch em. Would be cool to think of season 4 as just a dream. As for who I think they will kill off? Glenn or Maggie the ones who would make the most impact if the killed the off? Rick, Daryl, or Michone. If rick has to make a choice between Carl or Judith living I think he will chose Carl because his relationship with his first born has the longest and we still don’t know for sure if Judith is actually Ricks I think if he had to make a choice between Carl or Judith he would chose Carl to live.

23. Lexdy says:

I’ve been waiting for a while for them to kill Rick off, his character broke down since Lori died and has slowly devolved into a hypocritical, disturbed, broken shell of his former self, he can’t seem to make the right choices or be a leader for anyone else and he can’t seem to follow without feeling the need to take action so his place in this broken world has been taken from him by his own actions.

Either way I’m fine with anyone dying as long as they don’t take more strong women from this show, namely Carol and Michonne.

24. Leanna Thorsen says:

The graphic novel is about Rick and Carl. If they kill off either I will most certainly stop watching.

25. daisy asas says:

dont kill RICK,DARYL,CARL&MICHONNE..these 4 characters are the main reason why were so anxious to watch and wait the episode every weekend.if you do,i will quit watching TWD.i love RICK!

26. Toni Bell says:

I believe Rick will make it; however, Carl will die! But Rick will have a reason to live, because of his daughter, Judith!!😝

27. Kate says:

Don’t kill my Rick. He’s had enough to put up with for a while! Just don’t.

28. Lori says:

I love the character of Rick and I truly feel that a loss of this main character at this point would be a mistake. I could not just quit watching but it would not be the same for me. Andrew Lincoln does an amazing job portraying Rick.

29. Dimenital says:

I can understand people disliking carl but im not sure how killing him off will make anything better cause then you got to deal a sad depressed rick who probably wont ever leave his bed again. Seriously the only way I can see this working out is to kill off glenn maggie or carol. And Im leaning towards killing carol off.

30. Margo says:

Smoke was from travelers who took over terminus before Maggie & Glenn’s group get there.Then group from prison all meet up again & claim terminus.

31. dm says:

What happened to Beth? I doubt that Rick will die but things are going to become very
    tense. I cannot understand why. Carl is so unpopular. His relationship with Michonne
    is great. The show took a hit with the loss of Herschel. Rick’s death would be way over
    the top. Once again what happened to Beth?

32. Captain Ron says:

Doesn’t Rick have the cure inside him? He is the only person who died and came back to life not as a zombie. First season. Shane didn’t feel or hear his heart beating, yet he comes back to life not as a zombie. Carl and Judith might have it through hereditary genetics, but I wouldn’t see why they would kill Rick off?

33. Lisa says:

Rick & Darryl are the 2 main tough slayers! The both bring an edge us ladies can’t get enough of….Plus Husbands love those 2 characters too!! The show will make a downward spiral mistake if they off those 2.

34. Ashk mosadegh says:

I think nothing is off limits, is it likely rick will die, no, but anything can happen. If I had to guess who would die it would be glen or bob, maybe even Sasha.

35. Johnny says:

I heard cannibals are being introduced into walking dead and a character even more fierce than the Governor!! Maybe Terminus is comprised of cannibals!!

36. Jay says:

My guess, Rick Michonne, and Carl (and probably Daryl), won’t arrive at Terminus.

But the twist is that that’ll end up being a good thing for them as Terminus will end up a really, really bad place.

37. Harry Martin says:

Sorry to say, I have heard from people that know people close to show, RICK is on his way out!!!
    Say it ain’t so!!

38. Harry Martin says:

They are going to start the decent down in the ratings!! mark my words, it Rick goes!!
    Andrew Lincoln is the guest on talking dead!!!!
    Funny huh??
    I’m sick!!
    Boardwalk empire did the same thing when they killed off Michael Pitt!
    Idiots!!

39. AnnieM says:

What I see in the poster makes me wonder if now is when someone will do to Rick what the Governor did to him in the comics, but not on the show…

40. walkingdeadGod says:

for those of you who don’t know it was already stated that, Rick, Carl, Glenn,and Maggie are supposed to survive until at least season 7, this was stated on season 2 of talking dead.

41. AJ says:

Has anyone else wondered how or why they all decided to follow the train tracks anyway? Oh we haven’t seen Rick and Carl in four episodes and what do ya know there they are walking down the tracks like everyone else. I get that when they see the sign for terminus they keep on the tracks but what are they even doing there in the first place? This is by far the worst season of TWD and im loosing interest fast. I could care less who dies next. There dragging it on way to much just to make more episodes.

• Kat says:

Try watching the episodes again and pay attention then you will understand why they all decided to follow the tracks. It isnt hard to see why and with these episodes you get to know the characters individually better, as well ashow they have changed.

42. Flgrl73 says:

I think it will be Daryl or Michone…that new military dude abraham was suppose to be Ricks right hand man. So that means he does not need Michone, whom he is with right now nor will he need Daryl. My guess is they are going to run into the new Group Daryl is with and Daryl is going to die trying to protect Rick,Carl and Michone…they will take him out but make him out to be hero. I personally wish Beth would be gone and NEVER come back.

43. Andrew Hass says:

I don’t think Rick’s going to dies at least not until he finds out his daughter is alive.However it would be cruel if he dies and then Carl and Michonne find Judith.Howver i do think a major character is going to die in the season finale and my 3 main possibilities are Rick,Carol and Beth.

44. AnnieM says:

Maybe Beth (or part of her – eew!) will be dinner; we’ve not had the slightest clue what happened to her, other than we know she wouldn’t have just up and left Darryl behind. And spoilers be damned now (I was purposely vague in my previous post), too many people are afraid for Rick – I think he’s about to lose his hand, not his life. In the comics, the Governor took it; Jeff Kober’s Joe is out for revenge, Terminus Mary is probably a cannibal, the poster shows Rick cradling his arm. And we have Andrew Lincoln actually in the studio for Talking Dead. I think that’s why he’s finally a guest, to mainly discuss the demise of Rick’s hand. :-\

45. Lynda says:

I think Carl is going to get killed. The preview shows Rick with bloody hands and it looked like he was going to have another break down. The only thing that would cause him to do that is Carl getting killed. Anyone else he would deal with it and keep moving.

• ZZZ says:

Or he had to go to battle with Darryl because of Darryl’s new allegiance…there will be an interesting confrontation there. I read that one of the writers said the finale will be “savage” and a cliff-hanger.

Not excited about the cannibal meme…I am confused as to why these hardened ZA survivors weren’t more careful entering Terminus…considering Woodberry, etc. How about checking it out BEFORE getting locked inside.

46. andres sanchez says:

Dont need to kill rick,kill him you kill the whole walking dead series

47. Ricky D Cool says:

They simply cannot kill off rick at this time
    He had been the heart and soul of the series
    Thus far. I’m a little concerned he’s been on less and less.
    That could be a set up to ending his life on the show.
    If they do kill him off I’m not going to watch. The rest of the cast just is not as strong as rick is.

48. Michelle says:

They can’t get rid of Rick… Watching Rick smile as Michone and Carl are playing around was refreshing…I think Rick is healing and when they find Tyrese, Carol and Judith, I think he’s going to be completely rejuvenated and ready to kick some ass. Rick lossing it let enabled other leaders to come to the forefront and forced them to be stronger.

49. Jessica says:

Rick probably wont die, I’m thinking Gabriel (comics) comes into play somehow, they find his place somewhere in the woods.. (I also think he took Beth, hence the cross on the back of the car, and the person living in the cemetery caring enough to help the dead look pretty lol) he warns Rick that Terminus is full of cannibals (Comics) and Rick has to go to Terminus to save anyone that may be there from his previous group. That is where all the crazy stuff will happen, maybe rick loses a hand? ( also comics) He better not die anyway, I think I would be pretty pissed if they killed one of the main characters that the show has been based around pretty much since day one. Carol dies I think, saving judith…. your thoughts??

50. amanda says:

If they kill of rick I’m done watching.