Alfre Woodard Elected President in NBC's Katherine Heigl Drama Pilot State of Affairs

Alfre Woodard State Of AffairsAlfre Woodard is getting into politics — and she’s heading straight to the top.

RELATED | Pilot Scoop: Hollywood Heights Actor Joins NBC’s Katherine Heigl CIA Drama State of Affairs

The former Desperate Housewives star has been tapped to play the President of the United States in NBC’s drama pilot State of Affairs, which follows a CIA attaché (Katherine Heigl) who counsels the President, our sister site Deadline is reporting.

In addition to Housewives, the four-time Emmy winner’s television credits also include roles in CBS’ Three Rivers, HBO’s True Blood, TNT’s Memphis Beat and BBC America’s Copper.

1. Norma says:

Loved her in True Blood.

2. Julio says:

Oh. My. God. As much as I dislike Katherine Heigl, I gotta support Alfre!

3. Sarah says:

Well it’s nice to not only see a woman president (a la Commander in Chief with Geena Davis) but a black woman is even better. I hope this goes to series so young black girls can see themselves just as worthy as white men in the world’s most powerful position.

4. Tran 2.0 says:

If State of Affairs gets picked up as a series for NBC, it could help or hurt its chances.

5. Babygate says:

Oh snap! This is awesome! If I wasn’t sure before about this show, I am all in now. I hope that NBC realizes what a mistake it would be to pass on this. Say what they will about Katherine Heigl, this was one smart move…

6. bj says:

Alfre Woodard is fantastic. This show just gotten very, very appealing.

7. herman1959 says:

Wow, it would be enormous if it made it to tv.

8. YES!!!! Still not over Commander-in-Chief being cancelled..

9. David says:

Alfre Woodard is awesome! Don’t forget about her turn on The Practice too.

10. Kevin says:

Yay for diversity!

11. Ellie says:

Conflicted. Love Alfre…Katherine Heigl, um…not so much.

12. Taken says:

A black woman president. Sure.

• justsaying says:

not as farfetched as you might think. at one point i thought they were grooming Condoleeza Rice to run. for Vice, if not for president. It would be a really smart move on their part. She’s not nearly as polarizing as Bachmann or Palin and was one of the few in the Bush white house that emerged relatively unscathed. Also, Nikki Haley would be a good move on their part. I’m not a fan of either one of them or their politics, btw. Just see how it would be a very smart calculated move on the GOP’s part to try and shut up a lot of their naysayers.

13. Cathie says:

Wonder how long it will take Katherine Heigl to become discounted like in Grey’s. She’s NO movie star. No one would even know who she is if she wasn’t on Grey’s.

• Brooke says:

Roswell? I watched Grey’s BECAUSE I knew of Heigl and liked her. I’m really tired of the hatred she seems to inspire for daring to speak her mind.

14. Amie says:

Alfre Woodard is an amazing actress. Good for her and for everyone who gets to see her!

15. Anna says:

Life often imitates art. After all, Dennis Haysbert preceded Obama. Love Alfre, and I’m really looking forward to this.

16. David says:

Love Alfre Woodard, and I have no problem with diversity, but I just don’t think I would personally be able to suspend disbelief while watching the show to fully enjoy it. I love the ambition here, though.
    P.S. Katherine Heigl sucks.

17. David4 says:

Great pick! I could totally see here as president!