HBO Poised to Revive Lisa Kudrow's Comeback

the comebackI don’t do want to see that!

HBO is in preliminary discussions to revive Lisa Kudrow’s late, underrated showbiz satire The Comeback, TVLine has confirmed.

PHOTOS | 23 Shows We’d Remake or Revive Now

According to Deadline, the update is being envisioned as a limited series event, not unlike Arrested Development‘s recent resurrection via Netflix.

The Comeback, which debuted on HBO in 2005, was cancelled after one very low-rated season. The series, and Kudrow’s alter ego Valerie Cherish, went on to develop an avid cult following.

In a recent interview with Entertainment Weekly, Comeback co-creator Michael Patrick King said, “Lisa and I actually have had a couple of lunches lately where we’ve been missing Valerie and wondering where she’d be. That’s just a creative exploration Lisa and I are doing. We care so much about Valerie and the work that we did that, in hindsight, felt so edgy. Lisa and I have been amusing ourselves, and maybe somebody else might be amused in the future.”

1. aa says:

I just watched this for the first time last month and I’m so glad I did. INCREDIBLE news!

• Mark says:

Same! I watched it after that interview came out in Entertainment Weekly. It was really clever of a show, I liked it. I thought Valerie was going to be an unlikable character but that wasn’t the case at all.

2. Zorkel says:

It’s funny. I just heard about this show the other day, and thought it looked really intriguing.

3. christina says:

YES!!!!!!! ahead of its time, incredibly underrated, hilarious, etc.

4. lululime says:

I’d love to see Kellan Lutz and Malin Akerman return. This show was ahead of its time.

5. paul says:

I loved The Comeback when it was first broadcast in 2005! So much so that I bought the season on DVD and have shown it to many friends. I would be VERY happy to see another season and find out where Valerie Cherish is now…

6. Jaye says:

So it’s making a comeback?

…I’ll show myself out.

7. craigfuntime says:

best news ever!

8. dude says:

Surprised EW didn’t scoop this. They must be pissing themselves with glee.

9. Jason Paul says:

OMG, how will Valerie react??

10. Ryan says:

Ooooh interesting. I have season 1 on DVD might be time to dust it off :)

11. David says:

I hope it rates well and they decide to make a 3rd season too.

12. Abe Froman says:

I own the DVD set and have watched it all the way through many times. Sounds like it’s time again to enjoy the making of Room and Bored.

13. Teag says:

Just watched the pilot and I liked it actually!

14. Isabow says:

I think Web Therapy on Showtime is a way better show. HBO shot itself in the foot when it cancelled the Comeback. Too bad for HBO and kudos to Showtime for seeing Lisa Kudrow’s talent.

15. DavidSask says:

HBO is going to start revival of shows then they have many other ones fans have demanded as well, doing an Netflix on their own shows lmfao

16. alistaircrane says:

I didn’t see it the first time around, but if it’s half as good as Web Therapy, I’ll love it. I hope the first season is on when I re-subscribe this summer (for True Blood).

17. Auntie Ralph says:

I remember this show. I thought it was okay but didn’t live up to its potential, more than a couple of gags going either too far or just being kind of stupid for the sort of show they were doing. I’ll give it ahead of its time though, so not a bad idea to bring it back. No hate for Kudrow either, not a huge an but that’s more to do with some of the stuff she’s been in than her talents.

18. GoldStarGay says:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!! Possibly one of the most hilarious, underrated shows ever made, Lisa Kudrow is simply brilliant!! I just hope they can capture the same magic 10 years later.

19. tara17 says:

Yes! Please!

20. Sandy Bennett says:

As critical as I am of TV in general, I LOVED The Comeback and just rewatched it on HBO’s Watchathon weekend. Also loved In Treatment.

21. This is the right website for anyone who hopes to find out
    about this topic. You know a whole lot its almost hard to argue with you (not
    that I actually would want to…HaHa). You definitely put a fresh spin on a topic that’s been discussed for a long time.

Wonderful stuff, just wonderful!