Grey's Anatomy Is Bringing Back Derek's Sister Amelia on a Recurring Basis -- But Why?

Grey's Anatomy Amelia ReturnsThere’s something about Amelia… that will necessitate an extended Grey’s Anatomy visit from Derek Shepherd’s youngest sister.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Scoop: Isaiah Washington to Return to Take Cristina’s Journey ‘Full-Circle’

Caterina Scorsone, who created the role of substance-abusing neurosurgeon Amelia for the Grey’s spin-off Private Practice, will return to ABC’s hospital drama in early May, TVGuide.com reports — but not just for a one-off encore, but to recur through to the end of the season.

No details are yet available on the storyline dictating the once-estranged Shepherds’ reunion.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Contract Scoop: Ellen Pompeo and Patrick Dempsey Sign New 2-Year Deals

Scorsone has twice before brought Amelia to Grey’s — most recently in February 2012, when Derek’s counsel was sought in treating Cooper’s baby mama Erica.

Why do you think Amelia might be a keeper this go-round?

1. Meg says:

Loved Caterina/ Amelia on PP. Grey’s needs to keep her!

• Stacie says:

She was such a great addition to PP. With Derek doing the whole Presidential trial thing they have needed a brain surgeon for awhile. Honestly, since Derek hurt his hand in the plane crash he really hasn’t been the same. Plus now he has the family stuff going. I think this a great way to get another brain surgeon on the show, and maybe revisit the stuff with Callie and the trial that she and Derek started.

2. sharona says:

Please bring back Addison !!!

3. Rob says:

Looks like they need a replacement head of neuro while Derek does his President business.

4. Lia says:

Good call, Shonda!

5. trainwreck says:

that is a good news.. wish Kate Walsh would visit back too!

only explanation i can think of as of yet is she might be assisting Callie with the sensors as Derek is duty bound to presidential thing to forfeit Callie’s project

6. hello says:

Well, they need a character to replace Christina next season

7. abz says:

BEST NEWS EVER!!! She is what made Private Practice in it’s last two season. Her intervention is still one of the best scenes I’ve seen on television. So excited to have her back. Maybe she can make a deal to become a permanent member of the cast next season to fill the void that will be left by Sandra Oh.
    Now if they can bring Kate Walsh back even just as a guest star that would be even better.

8. ggny says:

Hmm im guessing it a trial to see if she can replace Cristina. I think it is good for the show Meredith can have a new friend after Cristina leaves. Great move

• abz says:

I’d love to see that. Meredith was pretty cold to her sister-in-laws and even though there was some progress with Lizzie that probably won’t continue, so I think a Mer/Amelia friendship would be pretty great

9. Greys Emmz says:

This is the best news ever. Hopefully she will recur through season 11 too. Always loved Amelia!

10. Candace says:

I think this is great news. I would love for several actors/characters from Private Practice to stay on Grey’s Anatomy. When Yang leaves, there’s going to be a gaping hole in the show.

• Chris says:

I’m pretty sure the remaining FOURTEEN series regulars can fill that hole. People are constantly complaining about their faves not getting enough screentime so maybe they can get a bit more without Yang around.

• By all means, cut off Leah, Stephanie, even perhaps the Chief, God bless him, overdue a retirement, if we can keep Amelia.

• Nicole says:

I agree. Leah, Stephanie, Shane, and even the Chief can go. Owen can leave with Cristina. Amelia can most certainly fill their absence. I LOVE Amelia, and she would fit so great with the Grey’s dynamic. Caterina has amazing sibling chemistry with Patrick (they even look like siblings), and I want to see Meredith and Amelia interacting. If anyone can fill Cristina’s gap, it’s Amelia. She’s dark and twisty too, and so comical. I pray they consider adding her to the main cast – it’ll have me really excited for next season!

11. DavidSask says:

A good casting decision keep her on show!

12. D. says:

I loved her on PPP and I remember hoping they would bring her to Grey’s. I hope she sticks around.

13. Sara says:

Here’s to hoping we’ll see her bond with Meredith.

14. Chris says:

I find Amelia insufferable much like her brother Derek. I really hope she’s not sticking around past this season.

15. Tracy says:

I’d love for her to stay with the show as long as she gets some of her own story. I don’t want her stuck there indefinitely to be the babysitter for Derek’s kids or something lame like that.

16. Tony says:

No complaints here. I loved Amelia and honestly thought PP was canceled way too early. So any chance to see what’s going on with those characters is a plus for me.

17. Brandon says:

Random question. Do you think they will make Ben a series regular next year now that he’s an intern?

18. Amanda says:

I’d love to see her stay. I loved her on Private and would like to see more of her story. She’d keep me around after Cristina leaves because she’s a character I already like but who also has a lot of potential story left. So many on GA seem tapped out.

19. Kelly says:

I loved her so I might start watching again

20. Jose says:

Don’t we need a Cardio god/goddess too?

21. twilight123 says:

YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

22. Liz says:

I would have preferred Neve Campbell!

23. Liz says:

AND they should bring back Mama Shepherd! She never met her grandson for God’s sake! Or is it again one of those scenes we didn’t see??

24. Mandie says:

Nooo! I quit watching GA!! Oh my goodness, this is low, trying to pull me back in with Burke and now Amelia…

25. Klaroline says:

Love Amelia, I hope she brings James with her!

• Naazneen says:

I was wondering about this. Because James was her happily ever after. I loved their story in the final season

26. Andrew Hass says:

I’m very happy with this news.She’ll be on Grey’s through the rest of the season and she could even come back next season depending how this stint turns out.Plus it could be interesting to see Derek and his sister working at the same hospital.As for why Amelia returns i’m thinking a medical reason.Maybe with Derek focusing on other things right now in his career the hospital might need a replacement for him.

27. Dizzle says:

So long as there’s no more “off the wagon” storylines for her I’m in! Amelia was always going to be the easiest PP character to bring to Grey’s given her familial connection. Just a shame she can’t bring Sheldon with her! Literally every single doc on Grey’s could do with a good head-shrinkin’!

28. Lori Rogers says:

Any way she could bring Charlotte, Cooper and the kids with her? (or maybe just a quick visit…I like to think they’re all happy)

29. Tia says:

Finally a good spoiler!! Hope they tone down on Calzona, Japril and the interns in the last episodes, and focus on the others.

• Babygate says:

Gosh, and here I am hoping they will tone down the bore that MerDer has become. Love Calzona first and Japril second. At least they are fresh and vibrant and bring tons of energy to their scenes. MerDer have gotten pretty stale…IMO. .

• nikkikay says:

Not possible. MerDer is an amazing dynamic that will never get boring, JMO. My television is on fire every time they’re on it. The chemistry is impeccable. MerDer will always be my #1.

30. Becca says:

Yay! Loved her on Private Practice!

31. Donna says:

Good lord, I couldn’t stand her character on PP. Hope she is less annoying on Greys.

32. Euvee says:

Wow! Great news. Great actress. *dancing for joy*

33. Mark says:

One of the 5 worst characters >ever< in the history of modern television.

34. Babygate says:

This is great news. Greys could use someone like Amelia.I like her in her doctor capacity way more than Derek who is a complete and utter bore without Mer. Derek should just be there to romance Mer and make use swoon. This presidential thing he has going is so, sooo boring. Make Derek a recurring so Patrick can do his racing which is what he loves. Besides, I get annoyed every time he says how much the show gets in the way of his racing. Send Webber to Boston with Catherine. Get rid of Shane and Leah and that will trim the cast enough for Amelia to stick around. On another note, without Cristina, I’m not sure there’s a place for Owen…. On yet another note, I hope Amelia gets to work with Callie. They are both total badasses in the O.R. It would be interesting to see them look for an alternative to Derek’s sensors.

35. Qof says:

Love interest for Owen ?

36. Azerty says:

“GA is bringing back Derek’s sister but why?” because there are not enough characters on this show.

37. Kristen says:

Yay!!!!

38. 777 says:

Great news. It’s about time

39. katia says:

best news ever!!!!
    Love Amelia I was waiting for this sine private practice ended, hope she wiil be in s11 too

40. ggny says:

Heard a new rumors that she is coming to help Callie with the stuff her and Derek where doing while he is off working with the President

41. D says:

Excited over Amy coming in but I’m dying to see his last sister Kate drop in for an episode. She’s the last one that hasn’t been seen or cast. I think Holly Marie Combs would be a great addition! Shonda, make that happen!!! Or at least bring Mrs. Shephard back, Tyne Daly is a delight to watch.

42. Linderella says:

Great news!

43. eila1995 says:

Reblogged this on Let Life Move You and commented:
    Yay!

44. Matt says:

any word which cast members are renewing?

45. acurat says:

This would be a good addition for next year because Christina (Sandra Oh) leaves a big hole in the original cast. It is a familar character who was involved in a secondary way on this primary show, and was a major character for five years on Private Practice. It is a good fit for a show in its twilight years of production.

46. Amelia was probably my favorite character on PP. So, I love this. Bring James in eventually to run the ER. Any reason to maybe have Kate Walsh do a guest stint next season would be wonderful as well. Bring BACK the best former regulars and guests who aren’t dead ‘t fill the voids.

47. tony says:

Amy was great on PP, Caterina Scorsone can act all spectrums. Sullen to happy, serious, funny, lovable, and hated. She would be a great addition to Greys Anatomy. Kate Walsh would be good in an episode with Derek’s mother at the same time. James could come and run The ER since April is Pregnant. If Owen leaves Charlotte could be recruited to be Chief. The only problems is they are short of residents.

48. roomzoesje says:

we al love amelia and they are i dont know how long talking about heaving a short on nero sergeons so it seams logical that now derek has that project that there is going to be a new one and we al hope it is doctor sheppard 2.0 im sorry if i made any mistakes im duth and my english is not that great