TVLine Items: Did Mars Movie Do Big Business? Plus: Sean Kanan Exits GH (Again) and More

Veronica Mars Box Office ResultsThe long-awaited Veronica Mars movie hit theaters and VOD services this weekend, but did Marshmallows keep their promise to help make it a box-office success?

RELATED | Exclusive Video: Kristen Bell Talks Logan Vs. Piz, ‘Blurred Lines’ On the Set and Veronica Mars 2

The movie earned an estimated $2 million from 291 theaters, EW.com reports, a number that apparently sounds good to Warner Bros.’ executive vice president of theatrical distribution Jeff Goldstein.

“In so many of their complexes, Veronica Mars was the No. 1 movie for the entire weekend, far exceeding the next closest movie,” Goldstein tells the site. “We haven’t had [a sequel] conversation yet. We wanted to get through this weekend and then sit down and figure out where we’re going. … In a week we’ll have a better sense.”

Ready for more of today’s newsy nuggets? Well…

* Sean Kanan — currently nursing a gunshot wound as A.J. Quartermaine in ABC’s General Hospital – will soon be heading to CBS’ The Bold and the Beautiful, TVGuide.com reports. Kanan will reprise the role of Deacon Sharpe, with his return episode slated to air June 13.

* Josh Helman (The Pacific) and Damon Herriman (Justified) have boarded Starz’s new ballet drama Flesh and Bone, our sister site Deadline reports. Helman will play Bryan, a veteran suffering from PTSD, and Herriman will play Romeo, a curious homeless man who lives on the roof of Claire’s (star Sarah Hay) apartment.

* Greg Grunberg (Heroes) and Ray Wise (Twin Peaks) will costar in Syfy’s latest telepic, Big Ass Spider!, airing Saturday, April 19 and involving a giant alien spider (well, yeah) that escapes from a military lab and terrorizes Los Angeles.

RELATED | Veep‘s Gary Gets Married?! Tony Hale Reveals His Dream Twist for Selina and Her Trusty Aide

* HBO released a new trailer for Veep Season 3 – premiering April 6 at 10:30/9:30c — which finds “Operation: Lady POTUS” in full force. But will Selina need to fire her entire staff in order to win? Watch:

1. M says:

I hope my digital rental of VM counts somewhere in these totals. Some of us like to watch movies in our pajamas!

• Carrie N says:

I agree but this one was a really fun one to see in a theater with lots of other fans. My showing was packed.

• alistaircrane says:

Agreed. Seeing it in the theatres is a totally different and very exciting experience.

• Luz says:

Agreed! It was so fun to be among other who “awed” and “ahhhed” along with you. I also got it on VOD to watch it again and I’m still waiting for my DVD to arrive since Amazon seems to have misplaced it!

• Lecholls says:

Agree. I loved seeing it in a packed theater with VM fans. I’ll never forget it.

• V says:

Agreed! Also, I did it because the closest theater to me showing it was an hour away and I didn’t want to waste all that gas.

• Tammy says:

I did the same because the closest showing to me was over 2 hours away. No AMC theaters in this area at all. Trust me I Fandango’d and Moviefone’d, etc. :) I curled up Friday night and watched it twice since it was a 24 hour rental. Gave me a chance to go back and enjoy some of the lines I missed and catch a few clues. LOVED it!

• This is my question too.

2. rod says:

Oh my, i cant believe a sequel of VM might happen, im so happy, I loved the movie it was everything i could have hoped and more.

3. alistaircrane says:

Looking forward to seeing Deacon Sharpe again!

4. Drew says:

I haven’t seen the movie yet but I would love to know how the digital downloads did. Since they were released at the same time, those really must be counted.

• dude says:

They likely will be, especially since some fans probably watched it multiple times On Demand. I saw it in theatres on Friday and then watched it again On Demand on Saturday.

5. mellafe says:

I hope the digital copies count!! I didn’t watch it at the theater but I watched it. Twice.

6. jimbo says:

Went to the cinema and pre-ordered the Blu-ray. I did my part, now do yours WB. :)

• Aryn says:

Ditto…I bought movie off Amazon (even though I was a backer who got it free), ordered Blu-ray for myself and family. Closest movie theater to show it was 8 hours away so sadly I wasn’t able to help at the box office itself :( I am hoping I get a chance to “back” a sequel, the movie was fantastic I LoVed it!!!

• Lil says:

Saw it in the theater, exp was AmaZing with all the VM fans, got deperate because I didn’t see any DVD offers, so I purchases through Amazon, so I saw it there 4 more times. When they have it on DVD……….yup I am also gonna buy it too!
      It was a Long Time coming & now I am going to OD on VM & enjoy the LoVe!

7. robinepowell says:

I watched it online (not VoD) because there weren’t any theatres playing it near me. I find it strange that this was a limited viewing, for one week only.

• jimbo says:

As far as I know, WB had to rent the cinema halls for the showings as the cinemas decided not to show the movie due to the simultaneous VoD release.

• david says:

That’s exactly what they did. I think they could have done very well by expanding the theatrical release wider with a shorter VOD window. No major theatre operator is going to agree to open a movie that gets a day and date release on VOD unless possibly in the model the studio used for this weekend. I’m still surprised that they were able to get someone to agree. Plus it limits the potential for the studio as well. For example they pay to rent out a specific sized auditorium. If their film does well the theatre won’t move it to a larger auditorium because they don’t end up making any additional money. They could definitely have grossed much better had they gone the traditional route – especially considering they didn’t even open the film in some markets.

• gdv says:

I had no idea that the VoD was a one-week thing. I was waiting to watch it with a group of friends. Hopefully it’ll still be playing at a theater near me this weekend!

• Win says:

Not as limited as you think. Our local theatre emailed us back today and told us that they paln on showing it at 16 locations starting Friday the 28th and to check the site on the 26th to find showings.

8. Lori D says:

Unfortuately, it’s not playing at my theatre yet, and in Canada you can’t digitally download it from Amazon….GRRRRR. Impatiently waiting……

• Susan says:

Lori, in Canada you can download it from iTunes and the Cineplex store online. You can also order it on Bell and Rogers. Hope that helps. :)

• sara says:

You can view via Shaw on Demand as well, but you will have to go to “recently added” instead of new release.

9. V says:

Sequel! Sequel! SEQUEL!!!!

• Michelle says:

Series reboot! Series reboot! SERIES REBOOT!!!

• Michelle says:

(Please, Warner Bros. With marshmallows on top.)

• Jill says:

Why not a series reboot? With all of the series that have been ‘redone’- this could easily find its way back to a television home!! Even 13 episodes a year… heck, even a summer series that the networks are starting to do. VM has obviously gained traction and a fan base since its cancellation, thanks to DVD’s. I know that I didn’t start watching it until the show was over, and now I am an ardent fan! I am just happy that there may be a future to this franchise, and not just books (which I will also download on the day that they are released!!). I loved the movie, but would have loved more depth with some characters- there just wasn’t enough time, and that is fair. With a series reboot, there can be more Keith- more Wallace- more Weevil… even more Dick. So please, WB— MORE VM!!!!

• robinepowell says:

I agree. It would be interesting to see the gang full time as grown ups and making a living. A follow up on their day to day lives would be a great idea.

I think VM might have done better if the WB/UPN merge hadn’t taken place at the time. At least now the series would have a better chance, more options to watch it, plus more cable/satellite companies may have picked up The CW by now.

• jimbo says:

Time to send Netflix some marshmallows. :)

• HAP says:

It really makes great sense. Especially because it wouldn’t be a budget breaker because none of the main cast has gone on the be bankable stars.

• David4 says:

It’s not a reboot, it’s a sequel series, which would be awesome.

Reboot is what Star Trek did.

• Lecholls says:

Please, oh please! That would be even more miraculous than the movie was.

10. mooshki says:

I’m almost scared to have a sequel since this movie was so perfect. An absolute LoVe fest.

11. Abby says:

What about the VOD/digital numbers?? Lots of us couldn’t make it to the limited theatrical release and LoVed being able to watch from home!!!

12. Sims says:

The VM movie was so perfect I’m terrified of what would happen in a sequel. And yet it was so good I want more, more more!

13. Daven says:

Really?! Can they not do better than a giant alien spider? Seriously, at least let the alien have a brain that can reason and be sneaky. A giant spider can climb the skyscrapers but they can’t sneak out of a crevice in the wall to scare you senseless in your own home. Redo ‘Arachnophobia’ with regular sized alien spiders and I will certainly be scared out of my mind.

14. Betty says:

It was perfect! a real LoVe letter to the fans! So many hints and references to the series. I was so happy at the end, when they did their “our love is epic” Thing, just perfect…….
    Although I really felt sorry for Piz.

I don’t think a second movie would be the best choice, a series however… VMars and Mac, crimefighting female PIs, why not?

15. Tammy says:

That’s the boxoffice numbers, what about the Digital download numbers? BTW – I plan to “rent” it again either this weekend or the next to help those bottom line numbers. It’s the least I can do! Plus I want to follow along once with the script I received as a Kickstarter donor.

16. David says:

The article about VM they are quoting had a lot more, the VOD numbers will be counted (and probably released in a week or so). TVLine is a tease, they like to only give half the information. Poster who said or thought that VOD rental was only available for a week, my rental of the movie on Amazon said available until 4/8.

17. David4 says:

Doesn’t Veep need to keep her a loser so she stays the Veep?

18. Cory says:

Are these numbers from theaters only or do they include VOD sales? Because I bought VM for $20 on Google Play and I’m hoping that with digital sales the movie brought in at least a good million or two.

19. Evan says:

I guess that means AJ is going to die on GH!!

• Not Sarah Wayne Callies says:

Sean Kanan is filming for 2 more weeks so I don’t think he’ll die. GH has become laughable latey…I understand Kanan wanting to leave…they did nothing with his character. Unfortunately, looks like we’ll be stuck with a lot of screen time for Ava, Kiki, Silas, and Franco…ugh. So many stupid plots:

1. a criminal becomes director of GH
      2. Robin goes to a nursing home in NYC to save Jason but can’t call home or come home on the weekends.
      3. Ava Jerome tries to kill AJ (twice), Olivia (once) and succeeded at killing Connie yet she will remain free on some technicality
      4. Nathan West comes in chewing his lines…does anyone care how he’s related to Nina? I don’t…he’s a horrible actor
      5. All of the disruptions around Robin’s return and she leaves again.
      6. Between Carly and Alexis’ kids, they are related to everyone in town
      7. Scott is Franco’s father…uhuh
      8. Liz is smart enough to figure out that Dante is Ben’s father but not smart enough to make the connection to Lulu’s missing eggs.
      9. These gangsters sure do have a high moral code
      10. Smart attorney keeps getting involved with criminals (Julian, Sonny, Ric, Sean, Julian again, and probably Ric again)
      11. Overdrawn out stories: Connie’s real killer, Baby Ben, Nina’s attempted murder.

Trime for a regime change

• Karlie says:

Why, oh why couldn’t it be Sonny?

20. Josh Emerson says:

I’m another person that wishes they could have seen VM in a theatre, but the closest ones showing it were 90 or so minutes away! So I just had to stick with watching online. Unfortunately I was forced to turn to illegal sources since Flixster sucks, but whatever. At least my purchase of the digital download through Kickstarter still counted.

21. Jared says:

As long as Rob Thomas and Kristen Bell are down for a sequel, I don’t see why Warner Brothers would say no at this point. The amount of free press Veronica Mars:The Movie received is crazy and the fan reviews seem positive.

22. The VOD numbers will be interesting (and the international VOD) as it seems to be charting pretty high in all the charts on the various VOD services.

Also I wonder if series sales help in anyway. The digital downloads of the seasons seem to have had a major boost and I’m sure both DVD sales and streaming on Amazon Prime has seen a major boost too

23. Luz says:

The VM movie was like a loVe letter to the fans. I enjoyed every minute of it and hope for more just because you know I’m greedy.

24. Kevin says:

I cannot believe that Sacramento which is the 27th largest market in the U.S.did not have a single theater showing the Veronica Mars movie. It was clearly a market for the series with upn and cw networks. I prefer watching movies in the theater and have over 2000 regal points on my regal card. Regal Cinemas really missed out on a good thing. The closest theater was 60 miles away in Manteca.

25. Mikael says:

Veronica Mars was everything I hoped it would be and more! I’m praying for a sequel or Netflix miniseries!

26. jasmine says:

I was so happy to see it opening week for my friend birthday in theater and we both agree that was a really special experience because watching it with other fans is like nothing I have ever experienced before in theaters.

I want more so bad! Either another movie, a full series revival, a summer series, a short series on Netflix would be amazing or Rob talked about a rated r series where he could really tell the stories of Neptune and all the corruption would be so amazing to see.

Basically any form of bringing Veronica Mars back gets me so excited because the show is just one of a kind and we need more of shows like it on TV!!! The movie exceeded expectations!! It was everything I could have asked for and more (at this point I have lost count on how many times I’ve seen it). I hope WB execs see there is a huge demand for more Veronica Mars.