Pilot News: Smash's Katharine McPhee Nabs Female Lead in CBS Genius Drama Scorpion

Katharine McPhee Scorpion Pilot CBSSmash alum Katharine McPhee to CBS: Let me be your star!

McPhee has been cast as diner waitress/genius wrangler Paige in the Eye Network’s drama pilot Scorpion, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2014: Scoop on This Fall’s (Possible) New Shows and Who’s Starring in Them

The potential series – penned by Nick Santora (Prison Break, Breakout Kings) — follows an eccentric genius named Walter (played by Elyes Gabel, Person of Interest) and his international network of super-geniuses as they form the last line of defense against the complex threats of the modern age.

McPhee’s salt-of-the-earth character understands the smarties and acts as their caretaker/interpreter of sorts.

Sleepy Hollow/Fringe vets Alex Kurtzman are Roberto Orci among the project’s EPs. Fast & Furious vet Justin Lin is set to direct.

In addition to playing Broadway ingenue Karen Cartwright for two seasons on NBC’s Smash, McPhee was a runner-up on American Idol‘s fifth season.

1. Ana says:

Even after the cheating scandal and smash fiasco, she still manages to stay relevant. good for her, i guess.

2. Lucy D. says:

But she can’t act. That was the downfall of Smash no one wanted to admit. She was awful in her role.

• Arie says:

I know, right? Especially for a show on CBS, I was shocked she got a lead role. While her acting on Smash was an improvement from House Bunny, she still is a really bad actress.

• Timmah says:

She’s no Meryl Streep, but I think she’s fine.

• Carol says:

The downfall of SMASH was horrible S2 showrunner, Josh Safran! McPhee was good as Karen though they should have paired her with Derek!

3. meah says:

Yea am shocked she’s getting major gigs!!she’s one the few women who a cheating scandal didn’t destroy her career.good for her.
    Men get away with a lot of crap(violence,cheating,racism etc)its nice a lady has also gotten away this time around

4. JC says:

Oooooh yay! I liked her in Smash and this synopsis is definitely interesting!

5. No says:

Oh yay!!!’ She’s a horrible actress and she’s gross hopefully it gets picked up and cancelled half way through the first episode

• Carol says:

She’s gross? You don’t need to worry about this show – I suspect it will be on at 10:00 pm so it will be after your bedtime!

6. CK says:

Good for her. I just hope that they write a realistic role for her because she was horribly miscast in Smash. Maybe she’s going to blow us all away, but I doubt it. Now they just need to cast Megan Hilty and try to make us hate her character.

• Zack Quinti says:

Yeah she was horribly miscast in Smash. I never believed that she was a beautifull singer.

• Oh, as a card-carrying member of the “Ivy League,” I totally believe Katharine McPhee is a beautiful (or close enough) singer. What she isn’t is Broadway material, vocally (she’s lovely at live pop) nor even close to a semi-competent actress in any medium.

7. Kelly Deeny says:

Thank you for posting this article. Looks like an intriguing premise with a variety of talent in front of and behind the scenes.

8. Liz says:

Who are all these women who never worked again because of cheating scandals? Cause based on the comments you’d think it was an epidemic and that McPhee is breaking gender barriers.

Oh, and extra marital activities are not a reason to be blackballed. Horrible acting is though, not that it makes a difference.

• Ana says:

No one is saying that she should never work again nor is extra marital activities anyone else’s business but hers. My point was that considering she never got excellent reviews in Smash and then the cheating scandal, you would think her career might be on a downward path but that clearly isn’t happening.

• cj says:

Well, her’s and the other woman (the wife) and the kids of the guy she was cheating with (if there are any). Or and any friends and family that had to pick sides or deal with the drama. And anyone on the show the 2 cheaters worked on. But other than that, right…

• Ana says:

No need to pick apart my point. Of course those people lives are affected cause it had something to do with them. As a viewer, it is none of my business.

• Liz says:

I think my point got a little lost as well. Sarcasm doesn’t always translate, and my post was more directed at meah than you, so my apologies. I agree she was about the worst part of smash, but maybe it’ll go better is she doesn’t have to play naive farm girl.

9. Lauren says:

Wow, why do people have to be so negative? This show looks interesting, I love Robert Orci and Alex Kurtzman so I’ll be checking it out.

10. cj says:

Wonder who she slept with this time to get the part.

• Carol says:

McPhee was great on SMASH and people liked her which is why she got hired.

• Ann says:

No. Steven Spielberg liked her and was adamant about casting her for the lead. She probably slept with him to get the part because it was obvious to everyone else she was miscast in the role.

• Kris says:

lol. yes she is an awful actress.

• ria says:

Good point my friend. Smash was a disaster because of her and now this show? She’s gonna ruin it too. I wonder what the producers see in her. Does she have serious connections or what? I can’t explain it otherwise.

11. Landon says:

I hope this gets picked up. Katharine McPhee is wonderful!

12. Page says:

I wonder who she slept with to get this role.

13. Et al says:

You guys can stop reporting that Alex Kurtzman are Roberto Orci are executive producers in your stories. I think at this point we can safely assume they are producing all shows headed to television.

14. RD says:

If she’s not singing what’s the point? She’s sure can’t act…….

15. auntiemm says:

Diner waitress/genius wrangler. And actress that can’t act. Uh no….just no. Not to mention CBS is only picking 2 dramas and 2 comedies so how many of the pilots really stand a chance from the get-go?

16. Joey says:

Elyes Gabel still remains the only reason to watch this show. McPhee and the premise are just…not.

17. Carol says:

LOVED the amazing Katharine McPhee on SMASH! Can’t wait to see her in this!

• Mary says:

Here’s to hoping she took acting lessons since Smash, because she is one of the worst actress I have ever seen. She does have a nice voice, but never will win an award based on her acting.

18. HAP says:

All the snide, back-biting comments aside, didn’t anyone see the factual error in the article?
    Elyes Gabel was in Body Of Proof, not Personal Of Interest.

19. STEVE WOLFINBARGER says:

KATHARINE McPHEE IS BEAUTIFUL, HAS AN AMAZING VOICE AND IS THE ONE REASON I LIKED SMASH. ALSO, THE ONE REASON I WILL WATCH THIS NEW SHOW AND HOPE IT IS A SUCCESS.

20. mano says:

Loved her in Smash, and will love her in Scorpion!