Veronica Mars Movie Post Mortem: Jason Dohring on Logan's New Career, 'LoVe' and More

Veronica Mars Movie Jason DohringSpoiler alert: If you haven’t seen the Veronica Mars movie yet, avert your eyes. Everyone else, read on…

Veronica Mars‘ on- and off-again boyfriend Logan Echolls is…reformed?!

PHOTOS | We Ranked Every Veronica Mars Episode, Worst to Best

If you caught the big-screen continuation of the TV series this weekend, then you know that the former bad boy joined the Navy since last we last saw him (punching an enemy of Veronica’s, natch).

TVLine chatted with his portrayer, Jason Dohring, to get his reaction to the surprise twist, and to find out what prompted Logan to turn his life around.

The actor also talks about Veronica and Logan’s reunion and what the future holds for the once-again separated lovers while he’s serving abroad.

TVLINE | What was your initial reaction when you read the movie script?
I thought it was so cool that [creator] Rob [Thomas] put me in the [dress whites], made me in the Navy. It was cool that [Logan] actually got more discipline in his life and was kind of a badass. That sort of stuff is obviously fun to play. It gives him somewhere to go in the future other than just depression from losing his parents and the relationships that he’s been in. And Rob made me look really heroic, which is really awesome. I’m still paying him off for that.

TVLINE | The first time we see you in the uniform in the movie, I was so shocked.
I know, right?! I think I almost look silly in it, to be honest. I feel like, “Oh my gosh. Take that stupid costume off.” But some people think it’s great. I think it’s a great idea. I just felt a little silly wearing it. But it’s cool for the story.

RELATED | Veronica Mars Boss on Chinatown-esque Sequel — Plus: Web Spin-Off Update!

Veronica Mars Movie Logan NavyTVLINE | When you were shooting that scene, did you get some ribbing from the cast and crew? Or was everyone swooning?
I walked out and [Kristen Bell] went, “Hubba hubba.” I couldn’t hold it together. People were taking pictures and they were like, “No, you can’t take pictures! You can’t release this.” … I did take some selfies and sent them to Ryan Hansen. I’m just going to put that on the record.

TVLINE | Logan has a very respectable career now. He’s cleaned up his act. What do you think was the turning point for him?
He had to put his life in order or he would have gone down to the point where nobody could have helped him. He took charge of his life and had to make something of it because there’s just too much to deal with, man. Like all the s–t he had to go through, especially with nobody by your side, no girlfriend or anything like that. It just would have been too much. So he goes off and does something that’s ballsy… He could have a purpose in life, helping out. Those are the parts that resonated with me.

TVLINE | Did you and Rob talk about what happened to Logan in those nine years?
Yeah, a little bit. It was mostly the discipline [and] the couple tours [in the Navy], that general idea. That was [Logan's] driving force to keep him sane. That was what I played.

RELATED | Veronica Mars Movie: Jason Dohring Answers the Burning Question – Is ‘LoVe’ Still in the Air?

TVLINE | One of the other big surprises in the movie was that Logan was with Carrie Bishop. What was your reaction to that?
That was cool. That was so exciting. When Rob was telling us the initial story, when he was breaking it to us, “Your pop-star girlfriend is murdered. You’re the No. 1 suspect. You need Veronica’s help to clear your name.” All these things were very exciting to me. Obviously, he would be with a Katy Perry-type person. It suited [the movie] very well. It makes for a very big story, a big press splash, which is even more horrible for Logan [because it means] that he needs even more help to save his skin.

TVLINE | Was there anything you wish you’d gotten to do in the movie that you didn’t get a chance to do?
I thought they wrote a cool mix of stuff. The coolest thing that I appreciate about the movie probably is the Keith/Veronica relationship. It was very good on the show. I think it’s even stronger in the movie. I’m just in love with him as a dad and their relationship together. I was trying to think of what exactly it is about our show that strikes people, and I think it boils down to heartfelt emotions and relationships between friends, lovers, parents. There’s a particular relationship between each of these characters that’s very unique. To watch them all interplay is our show.

TVLINE | I was craving a Keith and Logan scene.
Oh, I know. There’s been so few.

TVLINE | Did you miss playing the darker, snarky side of Logan?
Yeah, I love that side of him. I love both sides. When you get to do a love story, it’s unbelievable because you have those intimate scenes that are so fun to do. At the same time, at least on the show, Rob would write something totally counter to that or that would break you up and he can be the asshole again, which is also fun. So it was a dream world just coming out of high school and getting to play something that I could work so hard on and sink my teeth into and practice everything that I learned in acting class in every single scene that I got to play with this character.

Veronica Mars Movie Jason DohringTVLINE | Were you happy with how Veronica and Logan’s story ended?
Yeah, you couldn’t ask for more. To be in the dress whites, going away like Richard Gere, that’s the best. Rob couldn’t have written it better. He’s just always made me look like a hero. He’s just very kind to actors and how they’re going to look. He’s a good dude.

TVLINE | If you had to write the future for Veronica and Logan, what would it be?
It’s cool to watch as an audience when there are ups and downs, there’s trouble and then they work it out. The underlying love story, exactly as it’s been playing out, is [what] I would hope for the future. Obviously, you’d like them to live happily ever after and that sort of thing. But they both have their explosive characteristics… As long as the underlying love stays there, I’m cool with anything going down. That will, hopefully, bring them back together.

TVLINE | Have you talked to Rob about what a potential sequel would hold for the characters?
I know that there’s a lot of Skype involved in the military overseas. So there’s conversations with Veronica and that sort of thing. Maybe it’ll be like Top Gun Part 2 or something. You can only dream.

1. Claire says:

Saw the movie, LOVED IT! I like what they did with Logan — he’s grown up! I think with his personality, the military was the way to go. He needed some discipline, and the fact that he realized that and made those choices for himself, it shows. Great character development all the way around.

2. Cheli says:

I was shocked when I saw Logan in the dress whites, at first I thought it was one of his snarky jokes but it was actually a really good twist! I don’t know what else would have helped Logan gain some discipline and get on the straight and narrow. I hope there will be a sequel but if not I will be happy if Rob Thomas gives us some books to follow up on. This show overtook anything I have ever watched as my favorite and I’m so glad the Kickstarter fund happened, fairly sure a lot of fans would be happy to fund some more, lol.

3. alistaircrane says:

Loved the movie, loved the LoVe reunion, glad Logan got his $#!+ together. Please, please, I want more Veronica Mars! I’d prefer a new tv season but I’ll happily accept a series of movies.

4. Mandy says:

The movie was amazing! It was everything I wanted! I like how the end was left a little open for more.

5. Julianne says:

Logan’s growth and confidence in the movie is truly impressive writing. Kudos to Thomas and Ruggiero for providing him with that positivity in life and showing him inspired to return to duty in the Navy, even after reuniting with his one true love. Jason Dohring is such an amazing actor.

The Logan and Veronica scenes are truly beautiful. “Come back to me.” “Always.” <3

I hope there will be a sequel, and I'm looking forward to 'The Tan Line' VM novel. I agree with Jason, I want more Keith/Logan scenes if a 2nd movie happens.

6. Steve says:

Dohring really excels in the movie. Logan has grown into a remarkable man, it’s great to see that he’s channelled all the rage and misery he had into a purposeful journey in the Armed Forces. He overcame the deaths of his parents and has more than proven himself to be worthy of Veronica’s heart. (Not that I ever doubted the strength of Logan and Veronica’s feelings for each other, but some fans complained that he was too ~dangerous~ for her during the show.)

One thing I really loved about the movie is how the friendship between Logan and Dick has continued to thrive. Dick may not be the sharpest tool in the box, but he has always been a loyal friend to Logan. It’s great to see and I bet that Jason and Ryan (real-life buddies) love that as well.

The first novel should be interesting. Wonder if it will be set after or during the 180 days of Logan being away? If during, then I guess he will be involved via Skype, as Jason suggested?

7. Riana says:

If there’s a sequel, they should put Duncan in it.

8. Csbd says:

I was so worried that the movie might fall flat because we all loved the show so much. I was even still worried through the first half hour or so, but then the worry just melted away like a marshmallow.

I loved it! I don’t know how it could have been better.

9. Steve says:

The movie also proved that the ‘Team Logan vs Team Piz’ debate was completely blown out of proportion by the media, I’m guessing for promotional purposes (or to make Chris Lowell feel more relevant, because Piz really is a character who disappears halfway through the movie and it doesn’t affect or ruin the plot at all.)

I understand why he was in the movie (to make a point about Veronica’s life in New York being “boring” and unfulfilled). Home is where the heart is – with Logan and Keith, in Neptune.

• Justin says:

I don’t know if it’s the media so much as it was the T-shirts Chris Lowell and Jason Dohring wore at Comicon. When watching the show there was never really a Team Piz movement. While there are definitely Piz supporters out there, the reason Chris Lowell claimed to wear the Team Logan shirt was so he could get out of Comicon alive. He was well aware the vast majority of the fans want Logan, as was Rob Thomas which is why we got a fantastic, LoVe heavy movie.

10. Brooke says:

High-School-Logan was the sort of guy who you love as a character but would cringe if your best friend in real life dated. I’m relieved that Adult-Logan had matured and become the sort of man I could root for Veronica ending up with. Good job, Rob and Jason!!!

11. justsomeguy says:

I straight up loved the movie, But According to what i’ve learned from TV shouldn’t an NCIS team be investigating this. Navy Fighter pilot Kills Pop star Girlfriend Sounds like something that should be investigated by Guys named Gibbs, Mcgee and D’nozzo or Callen, Sam and Deeks.

leaving Veronica able to go back to New York and not worry about any of this drama

• jfrizzle says:

I loved the movie too! I watched it twice yesterday!
      Nope, if it was Logan that was killed – then yes. This issue had yet to interfere with his military career and it did not happen on the military’s soil, so unless he asked for there assistance they will likely not interfere. . .
      Don’t be surprised that many things on TV are not completely factual, it’s just for entertainment – didn’t anyone ever tell you not the believe everything you see on TV? :-p . Then there are shows like CSI that are straight up ALL lies, which is super annoying for someone that knows the profession.

• Alicia says:

NCIS would only investigate if it happened on the Naval Base. They might investigate if there was more than one suspect from the Navy, as has been shown in an episode of NCIS, but otherwise it falls fully with the Sheriff’s department even in the state of corruption it was in in the movie.

12. Et al says:

The movie was so good. I was blown away. See it in a theater if you’re lucky enough to have one near you. It’s like having a awesome viewing party with a bunch of friends.

13. DL says:

So awesome. The movie was everything I wanted it to be and more. I was lucky enough to see it at one of the March 13th early fan showings, and the energy in that theater was electric. I do have one question, though. Can Veronica please pass the bar and add legal services to Mars Investigations? Go, go Mars & Associates! ;)

14. Lecholls says:

The movie exceeded my expectations, and my favorite part of it was Logan and his journey. Jason Dohring was electric, and I can’t say enough how much I love what Rob wrote for him to play. Still hilarious and witty, but also heroic. Bravo.

15. VMFAN says:

I was so blown away with how awesome this movie was. It was awesome to see a more mature Logan, and I’m VERY happy with how LoVe ended up. Job well done to, Rob. I don’t want to see VM end!

16. Allen says:

I loved it when Leo brought up the FBI. Such a great nod to the DVD extra.

17. Tina B. says:

LOVED THE MOVIE! NOW TO THE SEQUEL!!!

18. robinepowell says:

Here in Canada, it’s only playing for one week and it’s not playing in my area. Cineplex Odeon only has it in a few select theatres across the country, so unfortunately, I won’t be seeing it.

I wish I could, but doesn’t seem to my lucky day.

• Carol C says:

You can rent or buy the streamed movie on iTunes ~ yay! (Also stream it from Amazon Prime, I believe.)

• jane says:

It was great seeing it in a theatre full of fans in Toronto, but I also rented it on iTunes today to re-watch it. I picked up a lot of stuff I missed in the theatre!

19. Liz says:

You gotta love LoVe, even more in the movie. Logan is everything we wanted him to be now: he’s reliable, but still passionate & in love with Veronica.
    Piz… he’s very nice. Hot even. Except Veronica doesn’t love him. And that’s that. Oh, she likes him, he’s a good friend, but I want more for her. I want the real thing. It’s not always perfect, or safe (or boring as she said), but it’s what’s right for her.
    And that’s LoVe.

20. Super fun movie. The buzz and excitement of watching with fellow VM diehard fans in the audience was a wonderful feeling.

I got super lucky and got to meet and get photos with Amanda Noret — you may know her better as Madison Sinclair, the girl we love to hate — while she was at the screening I attended. Super, super nice lady.

21. Isa says:

Love the movie! As soon as Canadian were able to pledge on Kickstarter, we were there. Thanks to Rob and the full crew to make this happen! A little bit of problem downloading it but it was worth the trouble. Thanks again!

22. Varity says:

Absolutely LoVed the movie! It melted my marshmallowy heart. Can I just say though – that I would be all in for a Logan Top Gun-esque spin-off!! Rob needs to get working on that!

23. Stacie says:

I think next step, maybe Veronica with a child? A Veronica/Logan baby. Now that would be something. :) Honestly, this was one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. Great mystery, great acting, everything just felt incredibly like Season 1 Veronica Mars. I would have loved to see even more of Keith, and I think they need to do a sequel. If they make back even half of the budget, plus all the Kickstarter contributers there is no reason they can’t do another one. I doubt anyone is losing money. I would gladly contribute to the next Kickstarter.

24. Alichat says:

I’m so glad they kept the Navy reveal a secret. It was nice to have Logan’s past be a surprise since we knew everything that had happened to Veronica since the finale.

25. Bob Backus says:

I enjoyed, not loved, the movie. The one great thing was Logan growing up. The big failures were both Veronica and Weevil growing in the “off season” and then devolving back to high school. Weevil builds a great life, seems really happy, then instead of being a grown-up returns to high school. Veronica went throw years of education only to throw it away on being a PI. Just Plain Stupid! Better ending: she grows up and goes to work in a partnership with the old town lawyer. One character develops, two flop. Stupid.

26. night magic says:

i was so happy that Logan finally got some happiness and direction because in the series he was lost and Veronica made him a better person and they were magical together except when apart .i felt Veronica at times was so cold to logan and forever blaming him for things he didnt do .He never abused her never judged her just wanted to protect her and he was loyal to her one mistake and he was out of her life .i didnt really understand that this is a guy who would and did do anything for her and was always there for her .He even took her back when she accused him so i was so happy when Veronica in the movie was more mature and on Logans side .In the series she wanted everything about Logan to be perfect .He was was always kind gentle understanding and loving towards her from that first kiss onwards .So happy love got together !!!! and the epic speach was fantastic !!!!! the whole movie was great i loved that everyone was back !!!!!

27. night magic says:

i really truly hope if they make another movie they dont break Veronica and Logan up the show put these two together and they are a big part of this show !!!! i would like Piz back just not with Veronica but i would like him to be happy and content with someone else because i liked the actor

28. Nayab says:

I totally loved the movie. it was so compelling that it made me watch the VM tv show.every character is so awesome. loved the ending of movie and how Logan turned into a mature handsome man. super awesome. Good Job guys,

29. hello there and thank you for your info – I have definitely
    picked up something new from right here.
    I did however expertise some technical issues using this web site, as I
    experienced to reload the web site a lot of times previous to I
    could get it to load properly. I had been wondering if
    your web host is OK? Not that I’m complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will
    very frequently affect your placement in google and could damage
    your quality score if ads and marketing with Adwords.
    Anyway I’m adding this RSS to my e-mail and can look out for much
    more of your respective intriguing content.
    Ensure that you update this again very soon.