How I Met Your Mother Series Finale First Look: What the Heck Is Ted Doing With [Spoiler]?!

Brace yourselves, How I Met Your Mother fans. TVLine has obtained a handful of photos from the first half of the CBS comedy’s one-hour series finale (airing March 31 at 8/7c), and some of ‘em scream, “Major freakin’ spoiler alert!”

PHOTOS | How I Met Your Mother Sneak Peek: The Wedding Has Arrived — and So Have the Nerves!

Among the big takeaways from the following first look at “Last Forever Part 1″: Robin and Ted engage in one of their favorite traditions — and then meet up years down the line!; Barney breaks out The Playbook; Ted and The Mother partake in some serious cuddling; and the gang share a group hug that already has us misty-eyed.

Check out the photo gallery and then head to the comments with your thoughts/theories on Robin and Ted’s mysterious meeting and her conveniently hidden hands.

1. Eileen P says:

I’m spending WAY too much time with this on my mind. Last time, stayed awake past midnight trying to piece it all together. Still not entirely done. BUT, if anybody dies, I’m predicting it’s Lily… IMO, the photo of T&R at the restaurant is either before or after Lily’s funeral, which is why they both look so sad (R’s best friend, T still close to her after all those years) AND why T got so choked up after the Mom asked “What mother misses their own daughter’s wedding? After all, we know L&M are having a daughter, right? Watcha think? Possible?

• Robertkrasser says:

You can see Lilly in the future with Robin 2029 so I dont think Lilly dies.
      I am thinking and thinking as well but I am quite sure that weather the narrator is not Ted or the Childrens are not Teds childrens maybe Marshalls and Lillys kids.

2. Laura says:

I’m thinking that Robyn gets pregnant or about to adopt and that is the playbook II – parenthood…?

3. M says:

Does anybody notice that the song during B&R’s wedding is ‘If I Ever Were To Lose You.’ The song makes sense to Barney who deals in ‘Complexities and games, no one wins but somehow still they’re played.’ It tells how Barney has moved on from his past, how the ‘Angel’ has saved him from his demons. The song also says that ‘all the promises made at sundown (The wedding happened at 6PM), I met them like the rest.’ Barmey is going to stay true to his vows.

Pearl Jam’s song also has the lyric: ‘I believe and I believe ’cause I see, future days of you and me.’ That sets the future straight

Look, guys, no matter how much I want Robin and Ted to be together… It looks like the shows twist will be that… it won’t happen. All of our theories and predictions might all prove to be false (no matter how much I love TR.)

But then again, it’s only my theory.

4. Jbomb says:

I am currently re-watching the seasons and I noticed something there is a strong reference to butterflies throughout the series.. I have seen Robin and other females wearing a gold butterfly necklace throughout the series, Robin was referred to as madame butterfly by her boss, Ted got a butterfly tattoo in season 3, Lily has half a butterfly tattoo. Do you think there is any symbolism to it?

Then I googled butterfly symbolism “The purpose of the life of every Butterfly is to set everything that was once known aside and to embrace an entire new way of being. “

• Jbomb says:

I also noticed ted jumbles the stories alot and forgets things like names, dates etc and to add fuel to the fire I also googled alzheimers foundation symbols and they have used purple butterflies….

5. cmp says:

This is a crazy observation, but if you zoom in on Robin’s hands, it looks like she is covering a ring. Her right hand isnt lying flat. It almost looks like she is cupping her ring finger to cover the mammoth sized ring.

6. Clóvis says:

I’m not so concerned about the Vesuvius episode. For me, Ted got emotional because his mother or The Mother’s mother couldn’t attend to their wedding – maybe because she is dead by the time they get married. There’s nothing to do with the whole Robin/Barney thing.