Exclusive

How I Met Your Dad Adds Workaholics' Anders Holm — Sex-y Guy, Mixology Star Also Cast

Anders Holm How I Met Your DadAnders Holm is the dad!

Well, he could’ve been the dad.

The Workaholics vet and Mindy Project alum is joining CBS’ How I Met Your Mother offshoot pilot, How I Met Your Dad in the recurring role of Gavin, the (soon-to-be-ex) husband of Greta Gerwig’s soulmate-searching Sally, TVLine has learned exclusively.

RELATED | HIMYM Spin-Off Scoop: Meet the New Ted, Robin Marshall, Lily and Barney

Nick D’Agosto (Masters of Sex) has also joined the pilot as Frank, the head of IT for Juliet’s (Krysta Rodriguez, Smash) fashion blog.

In addition, Andrew Santino will guest-star as Sally’s older brother Danny, an uptight lawyer. Santino’s casting is in second position to his role in ABC’s Mixology, which has yet to be renewed.

HIMYD is described as a “kindred spirit” of HIMYM — only this time telling the story of a relationship from the point of view of Sally, a “female Peter Pan” who is thinking of calling it quits with her hubby of a year, Gavin.

The cast also includes relative newcomer Drew Tarver.

1. Matt M. says:

The cast has been literally thrown together in a quick move.

2. Pie says:

Never watched Workaholics but his character in The Mindy Project is the worst thing that could ever have happened to TMP. As such, I don’t like the actor.

• Brendan says:

I agree. He almost made the show unwatchable for me and I LOVE her and the rest of the cast so much. I just don’t get the appeal…

• B says:

Are you joking? TMP can be divided into three distint :
      1. Beginnings
      2. The Casey saga
      3. Adam Pally
      Out of the three the Adam Pally stage has been the worst, creating a huge sophomore slump. I so wish Pally would find a pilot or something to get him off this wonderful show. His character is one of the most annoying and hard-to-watch characters I’ve ever seen. While I agree that, yes, things were best in the Beginnings stage (remember when Mindy had friends?), I found Anders to be atypically fun, especially since you knew from the beginning that his days were numbered on TMP. Point is, ADAM PALLY IS THE WORST.

• zturk says:

Completely disagree the first stage was the worst.it felt like two shows where they were just throwing what stories they could against the audience to see what would stick.they soon realized the friends were pointless and not funny.

3. Eric says:

I like Workaholics, so I’m okay with this. Ders is cool, despite that whole Mindy Project thing. Hated him on that show. But yeah. I’m a huge longtime HIMYM fan so I’ll be tuning into this regardless.

4. ... says:

Oh, no, I really like Nick D’Agosto on Masters of Sex. Hopefully this isn’t the end of Ethan.

• Andie says:

On the one hand, it seems like the end of Ethan (but so did the season finale). On the other hand, Allison Janney and Beau Bridges both star on CBS sitcoms, so there’s hope?

5. Ram510 says:

So far this isn’t shaking out to be the strongest cast, I’m worries about the show at this point

6. A. D. says:

Crappy casting….disappointing!

7. NJD says:

“Guest-star”? Wasn’t Danny one of the main characters?

• B says:

Probably the same way Roy was on The Office

• Hannah says:

That’s because of the second position thing. If Mixology is cancelled Santino will be a regular, otherwise they’d have to recast him since the character seems pretty important to the story.

8. joe says:

even when i’ve been skeptical HIMYM has been perfect with castings….minus jennifer morrison (but I just can’t stand her as an actress overall). So far the casting seems a bit odd to me but i’ll save judgement until the first couple episodes

9. James says:

Yayyy!!! Another ALL WHITE CAST. Definitely won’t be watching this. Would it really be so bad to have some ethnic diversity? I guess they think having gays in the cast is enough diversity. SMH

10. Ruby says:

I’m a million times more excited for this show now! Love Anders! :D

11. kate'shomesick says:

How could anyone NOT like Anders??? Especially on Mindy…he was SO likeable. I don’t get it folks….

12. Zooey says:

It really bugs me that it’s “How I Met Your Dad” and not “How I Met Your Father.” I know, it’s silly but…

13. Tom Charles says:

o In other words Andrew Santino will be Danny.

14. ttm1983 says:

I didn’t like him on The Mindy Project but he is a good actor.I”m gonna watch this show.