CBS Pilot Scoop: The Odd Couple Adds Treme's Wendell Pierce as 'Murray the Cop'

Wendell Pierce Cast Odd CoupleCBS’ The Odd Couple will be dealing in Treme‘s Wendell Pierce.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2014: Your Complete Guide to This Fall’s (Possible) New Shows and Who’s In Them

The multi-camera comedy pilot, based on Neil Simon’s classic play and exec-produced and co-written by Friends‘ Matthew Perry (with Frasier‘s Joe Keenan), follows two mismatched roommates: the messy Oscar Madison (Perry) and neat freak Felix Unger (Reno 911‘s Thomas Lennon).

Pierce — whose recent TV credits also include NBC’s The Michael J. Fox Show — will play Teddy, a neurotic cop and a good buddy of Oscar’s who goes to to the gents’ apartment every week for “Game Night.”

RELATED | CBS’ Odd Couple Pilot to Host Go On Reunion

On the original Odd Couple, Al Molinaro played a similar role, then named Murray. Yep, yep, yep.

1. JoeTV says:

This casting just gets better and better!!!!!!
    Three absolutely hilarious actors, consider me intrigued!

2. Sam says:

While I’m excited for this show, am I the only one that sees Matthew Perry as more Felix than Oscar?

3. Jack says:

Alright Bunk!

4. marine says:

I just adore him! He’s a wonderful actor and in treme you could see that he had fun acting. Treme was perfect for him so I hope this show will suit him not like M J Fox’s show. I’m just afraid it’s gonna be a guest role :(

• cindy says:

I agree abut the Michael Fox comment. we were looking forward to a show starring him because he’s so good, but the show was a disappointment. (at least to us) Love him on The God Wife, Though

5. qj201 says:

Have they cast Myrna Turner and the Pigeon sisters yet?

6. tuck says:

I just hope they don’t smut it up. The original show was hilarious and clean, I hope this one is too. But something tells me it will end up being similar to Two and a half men, and therefore won’t be worth watching.

• Paul says:

I hope they make the Odd Couple gay. It’s what everyone was thinking anyway when watching the original

• cindy says:

I agree with this post, too. Comedy show writers need to find material in society, i.e., life outside the bedroom (Two Broke Girls has a bit of that) — and in family relationships — Last Man Standing is a wonderful example of a show with social commentary, relationships between people (not just family) and wit. Any news as to whether it will be renewed?

7. pat says:

Honestly, I’d much rather see WP as Oscar. Perry doesn’t fit that role, imo.

8. DebLG says:

I hope this show works. Sounds great I used to love watching reruns of the original. Great premise. Looking forward to it!