Exclusive

Exclusive Neighbors Sneak Peek: Can Debbie and Marty Overcome Their 'Marital Rut'?

The Neighbors VideoDebbie and Marty Weaver’s lives have gotten infinitely more exciting since moving into an alien-infested neighborhood. Their sex lives, on the other hand? Not so much.

RELATED | Exclusive Neighbors Video: The Bird-Kersees Are More Than Ready For Hollywood’s Biggest Night

TVLine has an exclusive sneak peek at Friday’s episode of The Neighbors (8:30/7:30c, ABC), which finds the Weavers lamenting the lack of romance — or even conversation — in their relationship.

“You could talk about nothing for hours; you were like adorable white noise,” Marty tells Debbie, reflecting on the early days of their marriage.

Now that’s romance.

Hit PLAY on the Neighbors sneak peek below, then drop a comment: Are you worried about the Weavers?

_

Loading video...

1. racingphan says:

The funniest, most under-rated, gem you’ll find on television. Smart, funny and heartfelt.

• kavyn says:

Agreed! The pilot was stupid, but I tuned in to one episode (I think episode 3, the one with Leslie Grossman) and found myself laughing out loud – which I rarely do for network comedies now.

Too bad everyone dismissed the show because of the pilot, because this show is a great family comedy to watch. It’s very goofy and they like to make fun of one another which brings out good chemistry among the cast.

2. ... says:

Such a great show – self-aware, unafraid to experiment, exorbitantly creative. And with a heck of a cast, too. Please, ABC, renew this show.

3. side3 says:

I agree. Laugh out loud funny.

4. Marc says:

There is a tendency in this day and age to dismiss anything that may be characterized as “high concept.” The producers came up with this big idea and sold it to a studio and then a network, and that’s it. There is no character development. There plots are simplistic. The actors spend their time hamming it up or phoning it in since all you need to know about their roles was in the pitch. Almost any style of show can be good or bad, sharp or insipid. It’s all about the writing, the casting, the direction, and the acting. The Neighbors has been successful in all four. It the Mouse doesn’t pick it up because it doesn’t earn enough cheese, I hope that someone at least learns the lesson that high concept can be quality television.

5. sanchopanza says:

I’ve dug this show since the beginning, even though you could see from the lack of attention that it wasn’t making any impact and there were negative comments here and there. But toward the end of the season, when it seemed likely that it wouldn’t get renewed, I think the writers threw caution to the winds and just did whatever whimsical notion came to them. I wish I could remember the line in the season finale that was so funny, where they basically said, “we probably won’t have jobs next season, but this is fun so what the heck?” And I guess that worked, because this season just kept up the good work, including writing the new theme song – it’s adorable.

6. AnnaPiranha says:

This show speaks to the human condition using two of my favorite things: aliens and humor. The total lack of jaded cynicism makes it sparkle.