1st Look: NBC's Take on DC Comics' Constantine

NBC Pilot ConstantineHas NBC nailed Constantine? Check out this first look at the pilot’s titular sleuth, then render your verdict.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2014: Your Complete Guide to This Fall’s (Possible) New Shows and Who’s In Them

Based on the DC Comics character and executive-produced by Daniel Cerone (Dexter) and David S. Goyer (The Dark Knight), NBC’s Constantine pilot follows enigmatic and irreverent Liverpool con-man-turned-occult-detective John Constantine, who is reluctantly thrust into the role of defending our world against dark forces from beyond.

RELATED | AMC Adapting Controversial Preacher Comic Book Series

Welsh actor Matt Ryan (Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior, The Tudors) will fill the lead role, and here he is in full garb. A first big step in the right direction?

NBC Constantine Matt Ryan

1. Dennise says:

They have the look, it will be interesting to see it the substance to go with it.

2. revjakey34 says:

So…its Castiel with a red tie?

• It’s more like “Castiel is John Constantine WITHOUT a red tie”.

• Summer says:

Yep! Exactly this.

• J says:

Booth from Bones Season 2 wore a coat similar to this (and still does) way before Castiel did…And before either of those two? Columbo did…and so on it goes.

• trylon says:

Actually, Constantine’s been around since the 80’s, way before Booth, before Angel even. Although, you’ve got me on Columbo, except that Constantine is NOTHING like Columbo.

• J says:

Oh I was just talking about the style of coat. And pointing out that Booth & Columbo (others too I am sure) have wore that style and not invented by Castiel as so many Supernatural fans would like to think ;) … Was not comparing narrative content to Constantine.

• revjakey34 says:

Good to know. I just meant that Misha Collins has often struck this same pose and obviously wears a similar outfit. But now I know the chicken came before the egg, so I retract my earlier comment. Y’all are a feisty bunch…makes me excited for he show. Good fans are the best.

• Jon says:

Castiel’s look is a very deliberate nod/reference to Constantine. Eric Kripke is a fan of the character and said so plenty of times when Castiel made his debut.

• Charissa says:

Castiel’s look was based on John Constantine.

• First of the Fallen says:

Constantine was the basis for Castiel’s look, nincompoop

• revjakey34 says:

Well, I obviously didn’t know that. But props for successfully calling someone a nincompoop. I’m not even mad. That’s amazing.

• They’ve taken offense to the fact that you didn’t know such information while it’s more upsetting to me that you are being belittled for NOT being a Supernatural geek. I presume that you won’t have any problems sleeping easy tonight. Some people are just nasty d-bags.

3. Robert says:

Matt Ryan looks like John Constantine jumped out of the comic book pages and into our world; but I still believe NBC is the wrong home for this character’s mature level of storytelling.

• Dan says:

Ditto. They got a good characterization, but, storywise, Constantine/Hellblazer needs cable.

• Leah says:

I never would’ve believed it, but NBC is doing wonders with Hannibal. Or perhaps they’re just not meddling with it. Either way, I still can’t believe that show ended up the way it did on network television, let alone NBC. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt on this one because of that.

• kavyn says:

Hannibal isn’t getting the ratings it deserves though. If NBC cancels it I desperately hope another network picks it up, because Hannibal is my favourite network show EVER. I’m surprised it’s on network TV.

• ComeOn! says:

Hannibal will continues even if NBC cancel. While the show is a North American production, it is completely financed in Europe. If NBC doesn’t want it, the show can be sold to another outlet in US without troubles.

4. Alan says:

i would be excited for this if david goyers name was nowhere near it, as it stands i cant get excited for anything that hack is involved in anymore.

5. alex says:

holy hell its a blonde seeley booth including the cocky grin!!

6. Brooke says:

Certainly a better choice than Keanu.

7. Maryann says:

Can’t wait!

8. Steven says:

I’d sure like to nail Constantine. (Sorry I had to say it)

9. Sheldon W. says:

So far, so good.

10. James D says:

looks good. it can’t possible be worse then Keanu Reeves playing the role :)

11. David says:

I don’t know, is it more accurate to the graphic novels? All I know is Keanu as Constantine.

12. christine says:

Nailed it. If you think Keanu was Constantine you NEVER cracked open a comic book or graphic novel in your life.

13. Jon says:

Okay, good job NBC you managed to get the look right. No more Keanu. What I’m worried about now are the stories. I read a few of the new Constantine books from ‘New 52′ that they’re basing the show on and they’re a bland, watered down mess compared to the original Hellblazer comics.

14. Joey says:

With the blonde hair, he now looks more like Edward Kenway. :P

15. A says:

Heck of a picture. He even looks like he’s surrounded by the perpetual cloud of cigarette smoke I picture around Constantine.

16. Jess says: