How I Met Your Mother Sneak Peek: The Wedding Has Arrived -- and So Have the Nerves!

Here, finally, comes the bride!

How I Met Your Mother is at long last starting down the aisle in the March 24 episode (CBS, 8/7c), so naturally someone is crying and the bride and groom are freaking out big time in the following photos.

VIDEO | HIMYM Star Addresses the ‘Insane’ Theory Making Rounds — But Does She Refute It?

With just a half-hour to go before their wedding, Barney and Robin both experience panic attacks. But it looks like they find a paper bag to breathe into — or does Ted make it all better? — and get to the altar… just in time for Patrice to start a waterworks show. (Nobody said you could be moved, Patrice!)

Meanwhile, Lily and Marshall decide to rewrite their old wedding vows.

1. Pie says:

I’m not ready!

2. Flaw says:

Robin´s sister is not a maid of honor? Seems weird, given that James is, and the numbers on either side dont add up that way…

• madhatter360 says:

Especially since we saw the sister a few episodes ago.

• Teag says:

Yeah that’s really weird. Also, very happy they’re continuing the scenes from 601, 624 and 701 and 724.

• Teag says:

Just read that Barney’s dad, Robin’s sister, Tim Gunn, Barney’s mom, and Ranjit also appear. So we’re all good.

• Ashley says:

Perhaps she just doesn’t want to be? Not out of malice, but rather a “it’s not my kind of thing” approach. I’m sure Robin would understand that too.

3. Olivia says:

I seriously HATE Robin’s wedding dress

• Drewer says:

Yeah I liked a few seasons ago when they first picked out, but now, ehh. I feel the same way about Lily’s dress too.

4. Brooke says:

DAMN IT PATRICE WHY ARE YOU CRYING

5. Goodbye Universe Guy says:

Glad to see that Robin’s “best friend”, Patrice, was asked to be part of the wedding party. Patrice is my favorite on the show – probably because she drives Robin crazy.

I guess it goes to show how many girlfriends Robin was able to have over the years beyond Lily. An earlier episode ['The Broken Code'] this season (9) brought up that same concern.

“I WILL NOT HAVE PATRICE IN MY WEDDING!!!!” [sorry Robin]

• sd says:

The only reason I’m okay with Patrice being in the wedding is because of her instrumental role in “The Robin”

6. Azerty says:

I was thinking about it a couple of years ago, at the very first episode when Robin met Ted, she was with friends (one just got dumped) but after that she became part of the group and they were never mentionned again…weird.

• Goodbye Universe Guy says:

Good point – perhaps Robin was always one of those “man’s- woman” type women – a woman more comfortable around men then around other women. And, as we saw over the years/seasons, a lot of the gals who were around Ted, and Barney as well [Quinn, possibly Nora] were intimidated by Robin (at the very least), or just weren’t comfortable with her being around (at worse). So, Robin’s friends became just the gang, Lily and three guys.

Also interesting to note (along with what you are describing), I just saw the ‘Purple Giraffe’ from early season one, and there is a final scene up on the roof between Ted and Robin. They initially plan to part ways, possibly for good since Robin is not head-over-heels for Ted (sigh, even then), but as Robin is walking towards the roof ladder to leave, Ted stops her and asks if she would like to join the gang for a beer downstairs, and Robin’s mood perks up immediately. She’s new to the NY area, and I think that moment shows that Robin perhaps doesn’t have many friends yet, and Ted makes the move to pull her into the gang of four.

It reminds me a bit of that scene in ‘Last Page Pt2′, when the GNB tower first opens and there is a party to celebrate and congratulate the architect, Ted. The owner of the building says: –

“Here’s to Ted Mosby, for without him, none of this would have been possible.”

That line has more meaning at that moment than ‘just the building’ at GNB, as we know what is going on simultaneously on the WWN building rooftop.

That line also could apply to Ted again in Robin and Barney’s wedding. Without Ted, without him calling Robin back on the roof in ‘Purple Giraffe’, or pushing Robin out of the limo in ‘Last Page Pt2′, this wedding would not have been possible. Fans are worried Ted is going to ‘blow up the wedding’ – far from it – he’s the guy who’s going to end up being the one with the level head, the *dependable one* who ensures the wedding goes off as best it can – to ensure his friends find happiness.

It would be nice at the reception, as the toasts are being given, for perhaps the bride (she knows better than anyone) to propose a toast to Ted –

“Here’s to Ted, for without him, none of this would have been possible.”

• Tookie Clothespin says:

It has been mentioned a couple of times throughout the show that the group hadn’t seen a particular character in a while. I think that Robin and Lily both got mentions like that. I just always assumed that those periods were when the characters were hanging out with their other friends. This isn’t like Friends where they all live together and work the same hours the entire run of the show. These characters had other things going on.

7. Maria says:

Would have been fun to see Jamie Lynn Siegler and the rest of the Woo Girls at the wedding. Anyway, can’t wait!

8. Pat says:

I am so happy that she has Patrice as one of her bridesmaids. This girl has a heart of gold and I hope that Robin will finally acknowledge it and having her in the wedding is a major start. Cannot wait for the end to come but I am still a little anxious because of all the theories flying around about who might have died. I just hope that none of the main characters plus the mother have passed because that would really be hard to take having a series finale that is a comedy to end this way!

9. GB says:

Billy Zapka?

10. Caiti says:

This really looks like a beautiful, quiet wedding. I’m excited. I’ll also be a giant ball of tears, but oh well.

11. mspenn1013 says:

So glad to see James’ dad performing the service.

12. Kassandra B says:

So here’s a thought….when Robin’s mother (great cameo by Tracy Ullman) starts going on about Robin’s father and Robin starts to panic…she calms down instantly when Mom says something about a stable man who values her and Robin got a funny expression on her face–and I don’t think she was thinking of Barney, but rather Ted. Could all the hype of the new Mother (the actress I do like as Ted’s future wife)…be some sort of weird vision/morphing into what will turn out to be Robin, who apparently can have kids it turns out? Just a thought that haunts me….’cause don’t we all really want Ted and Robin to get together?

Or am I really over thinking this one?

• N tTVf says:

I’m a Ted-Robin guy as well, but if it can’t be Ted, I’m glad it is Barney and Robin. I’m trying to envision what is going on in the minds of Carter Bays and Craig Thomas – what are they thinking regarding the ending of HIMYM? I think that is the key to where this is all headed on March 31st.

The show is semi-autobiographical, CB is Ted, CT is Marshall, CT’s wife is Lily. Barney and Ted are actually the ‘same guy’ [Barney did not exist in CB/CT's lives] – kind of a Julius Kelp/Buddy Love character, with Buddy/Barney being the guy every guy wants to be, but instead most every guy ends up being the Ted/Julius guy in real life [dependable and 'boring'].

There’s a reason why CT/CB are pushing this Ted-Robin dynamic right to the edge – right to the wedding itself. They are trying to tell that portion of the story as best they can, and there’s a reason [there must be] why CT/CB have chosen to take this right to the wedding itself. A year ago, we all would have thought this *unthinkable* – Ted and Robin are still going at it minutes before the wedding!!! That’s just crazy. But here we are. I just don’t know why this is happening in the story, but it must be important to CT/CB – that they tell this part of the story in detail.

That’s why, in mind, there is no getting around this fact – we’re near the end now, we know how this is playing out – the most important component/relationship of HIMYM is not Ted and the Mother – too late for that, we’ve barely seen the Mother. No, the most important relationship (by far) in HIMYM turned out to be Ted and Robin. Why that is, where it will lead, and what kind of impact Carter Bays and Craig Thomas’ “Robin” must have had on their lives, I can only guess, but it must have been overwhelming to them (or to Carter). That’s the only thing I can come up with. I’ve had someone like that (Robin) in my life once, and you just can’t shake it – never get over it. That may be what is in store for Ted, and if that turns out to be the case, then I believe that is something that CT/CB wanted to include in the story of how Ted met the Mother. Robin is that important to Ted’s story, to Ted’s life. It is not a story about the Mother – we know that now. It was/is a story about Robin and her impact on Ted’s life.

13. Miss Kiki says:

I’ve seen maybe three episodes of this show all together, including this week’s show–and even I already know who the mother is and how Ted met her…and as far as their daughter goes, think outside the box people! Come on, it’s so obvious how this show will end.

14. John says:

If Ted and Robin do wind up together it will be another broken promise from CT/CB that there would be no more jumping the shark.

• Goodbye Universe Guy says:

It will be fine – they [T & R] are not going to wind up together – but I do think CT/CB want to show that there are some ‘consequences’ in life – it is not all just ‘happy, happy, happy.’ I think if they wanted that ‘fairy tale ending’, they would not be having the Ted-Robin storyline last this long – literally just before Robin walks down the isle.

Frankly, it is possible Ted (other than Lily, perhaps her dad) is the last person Robin talks to before she reaches ‘the end of the isle’ and marries Barney. What that conversation involves will (I assume) be the last extended conversation/scene between Ted and Robin, but you never know – there may be something during the reception.

• Michelle says:

I don’t see how Ted and Robin can end up together. He CONSTANTLY refers to her as “aunt Robin” when talking to the kids…

15. Kate says: