The Voice Recap: Battlefield Berths [Updated]

The Voice - Season 6Carson Daly kicked off the final installment of The Voice‘s Season 6 Blind Auditions by weirdly attempting to whip up a bit of competition where none existed: “Our coaches are deadlocked, with 11 artists — leaving each of them with one open spot to complete their teams,” the host observed, his use of “deadlocked” implying there might be some kind of bragging rights for filling out one’s roster first — as opposed to filling it out best.

Still, let’s not dog Mr. Daly too hard — especially when he knew the final quartet of chair-turners was a fairly lackluster group compared to Monday’s deep and exciting bench of talent.

RELATED | American Idol: What Should the Top 11 Sing for Movie Soundtrack Night?

Personally, after nine hours of Blinds over the last three weeks, I’m ready for the Battles — and the contestant carnage that comes with it. Well, as long as our merry band of coaches don’t go eliminating the best and brightest in favor of questionable characters, that is.

With that in mind, I’m gonna get to work ranking tonight’s four Battle Rounds-bound contestants from least-to-most promising — along with giving performance reviews for each and every one of ‘em — and then ask you to rank ‘em, too.

4. Brittnee Camelle: “Skyscraper” (Team Usher) | I’ll overlook the fact that she dressed like a lost member of SWV (circa 1992) — which might be what had Shakira talking makeover — and instead just say that her lower register was thinner than a Pringles potato chip. Even her coach’s faint praise about “taking risks” with a problematic high note had the sound of cannon-fodder preparation, no?

3. Caleb Elder: “Groove Me” (Team Adam) | Croaky-voiced cutie certainly stood out thanks to his wacky dance moves and hiccuppy delivery, but his choice of the “Groove Me” was baffling considering the kid’s total dearth of funkiness. He’ll need to learn how to hone his artistry quickly to clear the hurdle of Adam viewing him simply as a source of free donuts.

2. Lindsay Bruce: “Even if It Breaks Your Heart” (Team Shakira) | Oh, NBC, I could’ve lived without multiple angles of the World Trade Center on 9/11 during Lindsay’s intro package. (Sorry to start off on a tangent, but it was a jarring move to use such loaded imagery as part of a reality TV competition backstory, no?) Back to Lindsay, though, while the chick certainly possesses a similar “quick vibrato” to Shakira, she never delivered a true breakout moment during the course of her performance. Shaki likes the word “dynamics” — and here’s hoping she uses it liberally when she mentors this country blonde.

1. Kaleigh Glanton: “Have You Ever Seen the Rain” (Team Blake) | Kaleigh’s background as a classical guitarist might give her an interesting bit of ammo if she makes it to the live shows, but even without her instrument in hand, her smoky falsetto and risky melodic choices nearly justified the four-chair turn she received. If anybody from this episode has a legit Top 10 chance, I’d bet good money it’s Kaleigh.

With that, let me turn things over to you.

What did you think of the final night of The Voice‘s Season 6 Blind Auditions? Who were your favorite wannabes? Did you disagree with any of the coaches’ or contestants’ decisions? Take our poll below, then expand on your thoughts in the comments! And for all my reality TV-related news, interviews and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV

1. Lumplestilskin says:

Caleb Elder was only about 100 times better than Lindsey Bruce, in every possible way. I even liked him better than Kaleigh Glanton.

• danin says:

Totally agree

• Angie_Overrated says:

Wow, really? I stopped listening to him because I thought it was a joke. I’ll wait for him to sing another song before I pass judgment.

• macfae says:

I wish Adam would have waited a bit because Caleb lost it as soon as he turned around. But I liked what I heard in the beginning.

• Gailer says:

Agree, I’m so tired of the same old thing on this show.

• Tyler says:

Agree. Caleb woke me up from an otherwise dull episode. He’s one of the few contestants this season that I look forward to see what he’s going to do next. I really have no idea what it’s going to be.

• Rivka Simons says:

He was flicking his ear every so often which was a bit distracting. It is an indication of tics which might stem from a variety of disorders. I think Adam is the right coach for him and I wish him the best, and appreciate the producers holding back on the exploitation. He made it on his voice and that is what the show is about. Still, Kaleigh sang better.

2. abz says:

Where are The Voice Reality Checks? I’ve missed them.

• LB says:

They are there. So far, the Voice has only gotten a few minutes of discussion at the end (American Idol is the primary focus of the discussion).

• Tyler says:

Which makes no sense because the Voice is the better show.

• Ron says:

I agree. But I’d just like to think that, at present, more time is being devoted to AI than The Voice because AI is currently in their top 13 live rounds (aka, the “big stage”) and the Voice just finished their pre-taped blind auditions. I’m hoping that much more time gets devoted to The Voice when they get their top 12 or however many for the live rounds. I can kinda see where Michael and Melinda would rather spend more time currently talking about a show that’s in the live rounds than a show that’s not. I’ll end this by saying that I will be quite disappointed if Reality Check allots the same length of time to The Voice throughout the entire season.

• Alexandre Therrien says:

Touché.

• A says:

lol good one

3. MAB says:

I am so ready for the battle rounds too!

• AlyB says:

Same here. There’s so much inane filler during the blinds I wish they’d condense the blinds down to just a few shows. I’d really like to see the full audition of everyone that made it and not get the life story of people that aren’t even getting a turn. Actually, beyond a brief intro, I wish they’d cut out the back stories till the battle rounds. I also wish they weren’t perpetually presenting a sob story angle for every single contestant. My biggest beef with the battles is how they pit some of the best singers against each other. You end up with people getting through that aren’t as good as some of the ones cut and if the cut ones aren’t saved, they’re gone. We do seem to have a lot of cannon fodder this year so it’ll be interesting to see the match ups.

4. Quinn Carson says:

I dunno, Caleb’s gotta be my guilty pleasure this week.

5. Angie_Overrated says:

I’m sad I don’t get to see Carson Daly awkwardly hugging the contestants’ family members anymore. Those painful embraces are the highlight of the blind auditions for me. His inability to feign believable interest is miles beyond hilarious.

• macfae says:

For some reason I like Carson; but he has the warmth and personality of my fridge.

• Emma says:

hahaha, and that is probably what its like for the family members… hugging a fridge

• Angie_Overrated says:

Carson’s actually hilarious and engaging on talk shows. He has a personality. Like, a real one that would make me want to have a beer with him. For some reason on this show he’s so emotionally vacant. His eyes scream “man, I would rather be anywhere than here right now.”

• Sara says:

It probably doesn’t help that he undoubtedly has the show’s director and a few producers yelling in his earpiece at him. I believe he has mentioned that in interviews in the past. I think he has some really good moments where he shows his friendly personality. I love the way he greets contestants after they have performed on stage and before he has to talk to the judges. He seems pretty enthusiastic in those moments. And then the yelling probably starts in his ear, hahaha.

• Timmah says:

The warmth yes, but I’m pretty sure my fridge has way more personality than him.

6. Angie_Overrated says:

That last guy who went was like one of those joke contestants Idol used to do. It felt like Adam was tired of sitting through the auditions and wanted to get the process over with.

• Emma says:

This whole episode seemed like picking fodder for the battle rounds to me. What odd voices they all had. And by odd I don’t mean like how Shakira meant with quirky.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I thought the cross fit chica was excellent. I didn’t find her voice odd at all. The rest, yeah, we are on the same page. It was a motley crew this lovely Tuesday. The country singer from CA wasn’t terrible, but man does she need to avoid low notes like the bubonic plague. I had no idea what her voice was going to sound like when she went higher, and it sounded like 2 different people. Not good.

• Mmmmmm says:

Don’t underestimate the power of donuts

7. Kaba says:

Still somehow better than last weeks tuesday episode….
    But still…
    F-O-D-D-E-R
    Minus maybe that country girl.

8. justsaying says:

I liked the guy from Queens, even though I thought his dance moves were over the top distracting. Maybe if he’d danced less, he’d have given a better performance. He was “behind the pocket” as they said, but I still thought he had a better voice/personality than some of the ones that made it on the show tonight.

• BrazenSongBird says:

Taking a contestant on who has questionable rhythm is far more risky than taking one with a few pitch issues. Rhythm is nearly impossible to teach. Whereas, pitch is much easier to correct. I can see why they passed on him.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Not sure I agree with that statement. Having taught music for more than a decade, I’ve found pitch is the much harder one to teach if a student doesn’t get it intuitively. Rhythm is just counting, which most folks can presumably do. And of course the judges didn’t know he’s a highly trained dancer, but dancers have a better sense of rhythm than most musicians.

• BrazenSongBird says:

I’m not talking about counting, I’m talking about rhythm, singing in the pocket, feel. That’s hard to teach, if it’s not intuitively there. And pitch-wise I wasn’t talking about the tone deaf student. I’m talking about the ones who audition for the Voice, for instance, who have a decent grasp of melody and intonation, but fall off the pitch due to breath control, pushing, posture or any number of other technical issues. Btw, speaking of posture, I’m no slouch when it comes to musical knowledge either. I graduated with a degree in Vocal Performance from a top music school and have been a working musician/triple threat for many years. Last point, I’ve known several pro dancers who have little rhythm, but they’re fantastic counters. 5-6-7-8!

• Angie_Overrated says:

Not following. Rhythm, or singing in the pocket as you’re calling it, is simply counting. If you can count to 8, you can learn rhythm. Of course I’m oversimplifying, but not by much. At school I saw far more people struggling with sight singing pitch versus sight reading rhythms. Same holds true for performance where I’ve heard way more folks, even the most storied professionals, fall off the pitch than I’ve heard them fall off the beat.

Oh nice, a fellow musician. Triple threat, eh? I’m a single threat. :) I hate acting and hate dancing even more. Just stick me in a pretty dress in front of an orchestra and I’m a happy gal.

9. abz says:

I liked Caleb (I’ll have to wait and hear him sing another song though), but I have to agree that the contestants tonight were pretty lackluster and I doubt they’ll make it far.

• MC says:

I share Michael’s enthusiasm for Kaleigh. She has classical guitar training and that often brings with it a serious understanding of music and how to best utilize your talent. She demonstrates a good grasp of pitch, breath control and pacing. She doesn’t sound exactly like anyone else. Kaleigh appreciates and gets the most out of a great melody. “Have you Ever Seen The Rain” is one of my all-time favorites. ITA that she has top ten potential. There can be some funky results in the battles and knockouts, but Kaleigh is definitely a contender in my mind.

• Rivka Simons says:

How can Shakira dish out wardrobe and styling advice when she clearly wore the exact same dress and beach messy hair for all of the auditions? Christina Aguilera would never be caught dead in the same thing twice.

• Angie_Overrated says:

But Christina Aguilera (and all the judges for that matter) all wore the same outfits for the entirety of the auditions. It’s filmed in one day.

• MAB says:

Not true. Christina wore the same outfit for all the auditions. They do them on the same day. One year she had on this stupid hat for weeks.

• guest says:

all of the judges wear the same clothing during the auditions so that they can edit the auditions and put the contestants in any order, and we wouldn’t know the difference.

10. Having read this I believed it was really informative.
    I appreciate you finding the time and effort to
    put this informative article together. I once again
    find myself personally spending a lot of time both reading and posting comments.

But so what, it was still worthwhile!

11. where'sTheModSquad says:

I wonder if those 4 links work…I’m not clicking on them
    unusual to see spam on tvline…boo

12. Sara says:

Another “meh” round of Blinds. I am beyond ready for the Battles to see what these thus far underwhelming contestants have to offer. I did like that Caleb guy until he lost it a bit after Adam turned. It was cute to see Adam trying to get him back into the performance though. I am intrigued to see what else he can do, but still not 100% on board with him yet.

13. Mary says:

Nicholas David would have sang circles around Caleb if they were up for battle with that song. I immediately thought of him! Love the Voice in general but Season 3 is still the talent to beat IMHO

14. Blank slate says:

Two Calebs — AMERICAN IDOL and VOICE. What are the odds?

15. Blank slate says:

And with 3 minutes left on the show, it was no surprise Groovy Caleb Sugar Sugar was the one to fill out Adam’s team.

16. Forwarddad says:

What is with all the spam?

17. Kathy says:

I can’t wait for the battle rounds and of course, the coaches can steal any contestant who deserve a second chance.But like the blinds, I know we will not see every one battle. I think that cheats us as an audience.

18. Ademm says:

“Monday’s deep and exciting bench of talent” ? ? I guess they must have a different version of the show in NYC than the one the rest of the county saw.

19. Korey says:

This might bring about several people to imagine through asking, is
    the extra expenses and trouble of knowing pure health supplements safe.
    Researching about One Source Vitamins will tell
    you that there are vitamins made by this company that are designed for women,
    pregnant or not, the elderly, children, and there are One Source Vitamins for
    men, too. Let us name the best every day vitamins for men your entire
    body demands:.

20. Pmill says:

Loved every single thing about Kaleigh Glanton’s voice.!! She is the real deal and will def be in top ten!! VERY IMPRESSIVE!

21. CalebKindOfCute says:

traditional drugs??

22. bobsaccamanna says:

I’m confused, people liked Caleb? My wife and I laughed our way through the whole audition, it was like an SNL take off on The Voice. I am totally shocked that the producers edited the show to show this disaster for the final audition. If the right people make it through to the live shows though, it will be a good season because there are some excellent singers in this final 48. I really liked Kaleigh last night and Ddenyl two nights ago.

23. MC says:

I did think it was a jokey audition and Adam was simply exasperated trying to fill that last spot on his team.

24. Angie_Overrated says:

Uh huh. My husband and I were laughing through most of it too. I’m quite frankly shocked that people liked him.

25. Sozzgirl says:

I know Caleb personally, have sung and played piano with him many times…I think he WAS goofy with his funky dancing, but it’s so him, he does that walking down a freaking sidewalk, he’s just an awkward guy who enjoys life. I think his twitchy attitude will get into better control with professional coaching. Be your own judge about his voice separately from his dancing, which I think while he might have chosen an odd song, he is excellent. There is a reason the judges don’t look at the contestants before choosing from his dancing, which I think while he might have chosen an odd song, he is excellent. There is a reason the judges don’t look at the contestants before choosing them. Heck, even I was laughing while watching him, but it was more a “Yep, that’s Caleb all right” and then it was on to listening to a very good audition. His voice is unique with good control, then it was on to listening to a very good audition. His voice is unique with good control, and that is what caught Adam’s attention. Don’t know if he has enough to finish, but I don’t think Caleb was a joke, just a bit awkward trying to fit into shoes he wants. If you’ve ever been to Appomattox, it would explain a whole lot. Like, a WHOLE lot.

26. John Anthony says:

I think Adam picked Caleb to get it over with. It is going to be a real struggle for the guys to last with so many talented ladies going for this season’s title. I agree with bobsaccamanna that there is some excellent talent on every team this season. It wouldn’t surprise me to see one performer from every team in the final four this time after some really good singers fall by the way side. The Voice should start to go up in the ratings as we all struggle to pick a favorite out of so much talent.

27. Sozzgirl says:

Sorry about the repeats. Something screwed up when posting.