Nashville Promotes Will Chase and Oliver Hudson to Series Regulars, Pending Season 3 Renewal

Will Chase Oliver HudsonCongratulations are in order for two Nashville newbies.

RELATED | Nashville Recap: There’s a Will, But There’s Absolutely No Way

Oliver Hudson and Will Chase will both become series regulars on ABC’s country music drama, should the network choose to renew it for a third season, our sister site Deadline reports.

Introduced earlier this season, Hudson plays Edgehill Republic CEO Jeff Fordham, who oversees the careers of Rayna, Will and Layla.

RELATED | Nashville Recap: OK, You Can Go Ahead and Put Dirt on My Grave Now

Also a newcomer in Season 2, former Smash star Chase plays country music superstar Luke Wheeler, who recently fired up a romance with Rayna.

Nashville airs Wednesdays at 10/9c.

1. kate'shomesick says:

WHY?

• B says:

I agree. They’re both super unlikable.

• Shazay says:

I don’t understand why they’re adding two more characters that no one likes to a cast that is already saturated with way too many people. I may have to give up on Nashville. I feel like I actually WANT Nashville and SHIELD to be cancelled.

• Carol says:

Nashville is the best show on TV

• DONNA says:

This is not the kinda show i usually watch! Im more of a criminal minds kimda girl! But i got in 6 episodes of season 2… i wss hooked! Rented season 1…. just can’t get enough! Remember we get to comment for free the writers are working hard n doing a good job.

2. Elyse says:

nooooo! I hate Luke Wheeler!

3. Riana says:

Jeff is the new villain I guess. But we don’t want Luke. They should have promoted the guy who plays Liam.

4. Yeah, can’t say that I’m happy Luke is sticking around. If he’s NOT in Rayna’s bed then fine, but I cannot suffer through much more of their “no sizzle” scenes…..

5. Jillian says:

Not happy about either of these additions. Two unnecessary characters added to an already large cast. Would have liked Zoe to be upped instead of these two.

6. Rod says:

What about Brent ? He needs to come back and be a series regular.

I hate Luke, i want Deacon and Rayna together

• C says:

Seriously, if even of the newbies this season were going to be upped to regular, it should have been Brent. Derek Krantz is so good in the role.

• JT says:

Yes Derek Krantz is good in his role. But it not a huge role. From what I can tell they don’t use him that much on the show. Maybe the actor has other projects he wants to do and doesn’t want to commit to full time to the show. Just because we hate the characters doesn’t mean the writers do. They are the ones that created these characters. They might have a plan with these two characters being up graded to full time status. If the show should come back for a third season.

7. LE says:

Odd choices, but I think they could develop Jeff into an interesting character but on the other hand with Luke meh… I’m wondering if with these decisions the show is moving into the music business fulltime and dropping the political aspect (hope so). I like Eric Close but his character doesn’t fit into the show since she divorced Rayna last season.

8. Amy H says:

Ugh. Enough with Luke already. He adds nothing to the show.

9. They’re both horrible. Will and Connie have absolutely no chemistry together, and at this point Jeff is just a caricature of a villain. Plus Luke is just plain BORING to watch onscreen in general. They should have jumped on the Michiel Huisman train sooner, but now he’s on both GoT and Orphan Black. Liam was the only possible replacement for Deacon, chemistry wise.

• And by they’re both horrible, I mean the characters, not the actors. Unfortunately some actors just have chemistry and some don’t. I mean, I see more chemistry between Connie and Oliver than with Connie and Will, but I hope they don’t go that direction either. Let’s just say that I found the show more interesting without these two characters.

10. huh? why? Will’s gonna stick around another year?! No! And what does Jeff have to do now that Edgehill has no one but Will…

11. wrstlgirl says:

Meh, no biggie.

12. Lauren says:

Ugh this is terrible. I hate both of their characters, no problem with the actors. I agree with wanting more of Brent and Liam. I was waiting for both of their characters to leave, now we’re stuck with them. Just ugh.

13. Fernando says:

I like Nashville but with it now getting 4 million ratings and demos that are 1.2 I doubt it will get a third season plus resurrection did amazing n marvels will get renew only to try and get remodel for season 2, I just can’t see Nashville getting that third season plus ABC pilots this season sound good.

14. HSF says:

I have absolutely no idea why these writers think another full year of Luke Wheeler as a pathetic chemistry-less distraction for Rayna, is a good idea. They way they seem to relentlessly champion that character and push his awesome relationship with Rayna despite the overwhelmingly negative reaction to it makes me question what is going on behind the scenes there.

15. AGB says:

Don’t like either of them and I was actually hoping they’d be gone by the end of the season.

16. davidsalazar23 says:

Why?? Those are the two characters i hate

17. coach says:

I didnt like will chase in smash… I don’t like him on Nashville.

• Andrea says:

See, I did like Will in Smash. Storyline aside, I thought he had great chemistry with Debra, and I loved his singing. I feel the exact opposite about him on Nashville. Luke Wheeler is a complete dud. I’m not a Deacon/Rayna fan either, so it’s not about that. Luke is just not the best role for Will.

Oliver’s OK as Jeff, but how many times is the character going to butt heads with Rayna and Julliette? It’s getting boring.

18. Kayla says:

Hate both characters. WHAT IS HAPPENING.

19. Gayle Sutter says:

Yuck! They are ruining this show

20. Nate says:

God I love the whiners on this site. Jeff is a great representation of everything wrong with the music biz and will continue to be a thorn in Rayna and Juliet’s sides. And Luke I could see them villaining up a bit, both as a rival to Deacon and an Edgehill artist whose numbers are threatened when Highway 65 launches really well. I could see him slowly sliding into the Jeff camp and attempting to thwart Rayna’s efforts, even as he’s bedding her.

And as for a third season, Deadline said that most of ABC’s new dramas failed which makes renewal likely. Plus, for all the talk of Resurrection, it was a heavily-promoted first episode. So was Intelligence. See those numbers now? Let’s see where Resurrection’s at in week three or four before calling it a “monster hit.”

• justsaying says:

Yeah, i actually found Resurrection very disjointed and disappointing. Not to mention unrealistic. Most of the reactions to this kid showing up were very unreal. Including the government involvement. I was expecting for some gov’t agency to be more highly involved right away. All the schmaltz may draw in the suckers, but what kind of show is it going to be? I got no hint of that from the pilot.

• Jenna says:

Well said nate – there are reasons that writers set us up to like someone. We knew somehow that Luke was going to cheat or betray Rayna — I call that good acting! — from the first exchange. Why is no one commenting on the possible Tandy-Luke horse conversation leading to love slant? Those two had chemistry!

21. MK says:

I luv this show, glad both will be around for more shows… ABC just needs to re-up for another season ASAP!!!

22. JJ says:

I assumed Jeff was going to stick around, so not really shocked about that one. He’s such a ridiculous character it doesn’t really bother me, but I honestly can’t understand why they’d hold on to Will Chase who added practically nothing to this season. I think I went to get a snack in the kitchen every time he was on screen. If I have to endure a whole other chemistryless season between him and Connie Britton I’m through giving this show more chances. It’s almost as if they’re trying their hardest to take what would interest the viewers and then they do the opposite thing. It’s like the poster above said there’s already wayyyy too many characters on this show making character development for the interesting ones almost impossible. Adding more full timers is just going to make it worse. Sometimes I wonder if the producers on this show keep actors around because they like them as people rather than them adding something to the series.

23. Jase says:

Rayna’s sister should of been promoted series regular.

• Liz says:

AGREED!!!

• While I agree, She is most likely a very busy character actress, so she may not want to commit to a contract.

• JT says:

I think maybe why they didn’t up Judith Hoag (Tandy) to full time cast member on the show. Maybe has to do with the fact she didn’t want to have to move her family to Nashville. With being a recurring guest star on the show. You can more freedom to do other projects. Plus, like some said they already have ten full time cast members. If they get renewed for a season three. They’ll have 13 main stars on the show. If they don’t drop some people from the main role.
        I found it strange they decided to upgraded two of their recurring guest stars. Before the show even know if it get another season. I think the show runners decided that. So they could maybe keep the two actors from seeking other jobs during the break?

24. Claire says:

this is the worst news ever. Jeff..hm..maybe but GOD NO not Luke Wheeler. Both bore me to death.

25. 1ifiona says:

Jeff no longer has anything to do with Rayna’s career. Just sayin’

26. Sandrine says:

Oh, no! I don’t like their characters.

27. Angel says:

They made Peggy a series regular too and we saw what happened there, so… they’ll only be around as long as the show wants them. I think it’s more about getting first dibs on the actors so they can’t book pilots and be unavailable next season.

• Claire says:

she was never a regular.

• JJ says:

Yes, but they made an announcement before the season 2 pick up that if it was picked up for season 2 she would be made a regular, meaning that this means nothing other than they want to book them just in case.

• JT says:

Yeah I read they were going to make her series regular. I wonder why they never followed through? Maybe Kimberly Williams-Paisley, realized they weren’t given her character much depth or anything interesting. I bet she declined their offer to maker her a series regular. I feel bad for some actors who are full time cast members and the writers can’t or won’t think of anything good story wise for the characters. If I was the writer of this show. I’d think of better ways to give some stories for at least all my main stars of the show. Even if they might have a small part or just in the background in a couple of episodes. I’d keep them as part of the story. I’d not give my recurring characters too many scenes that would take away from my main characters.
          I’d probably make Will, become more interesting then just about his sexuality. They could have had Will, go support Gunnar, and his new band. Like show more of the friendship between the two. Before everything hits the fan.

28. Shira says:

Think it’s great news, because that means they plan season 3 and I want season 3!! Also, I have grown to like Luke just not with Rayna and from what I read that’s the direction- more Luke but not with Rayna. Also love how Will chase is so supportive of the show on twitter.

As for Jeff Fordham, read the writers asked the fans to be patient case they’ll give The character much more depth.

Let’s face it guys, Luke and Jeff fit right in the Nashville universe. They fit much better than Teddy for example. Adding them to the mix can create really interesting dynamics.

29. V. says:

Interesting, I imagine Rayna will stick with Luke. I think they’ll get rid of Layla Grant and Megan, maybe even Teddy next season.

30. Just renew the show. I’ll handle the characters and storylines once that happens. Just give them a Season Three, ABC!

31. Linda F. says:

Why? They can’t seem to handle all the characters they have now. There’s way too much going on. Both the actors are fine, but the characters add nothing to the show. The only thing is, they do need a big bad now that Lamar’s bit the the dust. I just don’t think Jeff is it. See, decisions like this is what makes me afraid this show will be cancelled. Concentrate on your money characters, producers–Rayna, Deacon, Maddie, Daphne, Juliette, Avery, Will, Gunnar, Zoey, Scarlett, Tandy–and keep giving us the music. Quit these stupid Teddy, Megan, Luke, Layla, Jeff side trips. I love this show, but it frustrates the heck out of me with all these boring tangents!

• Jenna says:

And why do these folks never sing to each other? Or when by themselves? The young girls sing the most, at home. Let’s hear Layla singing over the dishes, or even better, sitting on the couch with a guitar, making up a song by herself as you realize she realizes she’s trapped and sad and her daddy is upset with her and she tried and tried and it’s coming all untied. :)
      MORE intimate music that gives us insight into the plot, LESS stage mishmosh please… if anyone is asking my point of view.

32. Andrew Hass says:

That fact that the show upped these 2 actors to regulars probably means the show will be renewed.Plus just because they were upped to regulars doesn’t mean they will stick around forever.The show may just have plans for the characters right now but that can always change down the line.

33. I take this as confirmation that Luke is dating Rayna for Jeff, to get inside knowledge. We will find out about it by the end of the season, but it won’t come out until the middle of Season 3 to Rayna and the rest. When it does, it will blow up in a huge way that will effect everyone.

34. Jessica M. says:

While I’m hoping this is a good sign for s3, making these two regulars seems like a very silly decision to me. They need to focus on telling the stories of the core cast, the ones people actually care about instead of just piling on more meaningless characters that will just eat up screentime. I just hope the writers are prepared to lose a huge mass of their fans and enthusiasm for the show if they make the stupid choice to keep Luke around as a romantic partner for Rayna.

35. sarah says:

Love that Will Chase will be a regular BUT not happy about Oliver Hudson. While I like him I do not like his character and with Juliette on Rayna’s label what does he really have to do on the show? Yes he manages Layla Grant but she will be gone this season I am sure and Will, will most likely be dropped from the label when it comes out that he is gay.

36. Amy says:

Ugh nooo please. Spend your money on better characters please! Hate Luke Wheeler and not paeticularly interested in Jeff.

37. racingphan says:

Pretty much the two most boring characters on tv today! I smell no third season!

38. Russell Scott says:

While this definitely needs some major music rehauling – all the music sounds idential to me, and country normallt gas a great range of sound. The characters could use some development as well – they all seem stagnant. Rayna has gotten very bland and a boring presence – only to be trumped by the actress who plays Scarlett. Scarlett should be run over by one of the tour buses for being so boring and pouty – she only has one expression and if she ever saw it, SHE would be bored to death anyway. Give the show another year.

39. Well I’m going against the grain and saying I like Luke! I think he’s probably the best “country” male singer on the show. I download all the songs and love Ball & Chain. I like him with Rayna – although I think that’s doomed obviously. I’m praying for Season 3 – it’s my one show that I have to watch live.

40. miri says:

This show has picked back up for me so I hope there is season 3. I hate Jeff so he is doing well as the villain. The snide comments between him and Rayna are awesome. I hated Luke in the beginning (though I like the actor) but he is growing on me. I do think he may have the best voice on the show, or the music is getting better again. I want Liam back.

41. CHACHA says:

I don’t like Luke Wheeler, nor am I too interested in Rayna’s romance with him.. I’d rather see her rekindle the flames with Deacon.

42. Sydney says:

Bring on Season 3 soon…love this show. One character I dislike is Layla Grant…dum..dum! Let’s all see what writers can do. One scene I couldn’t understand (crazy) Juliette in black wig on the street (of course she did need to be brought down a notch or 2). What do people expect from Scarlet.. typical young person making it big..popping pills..I love her..she brings back some Loretta Lynn days. Will ???? Hurry up Season 3.

43. Natasha says:

RENEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOWWWW IS THIS EVEN UP FOR CANCELLATION…………………………………………!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

44. Miranda says:

Ugh, how are these two even considered relevant on the show?

45. Hooked says:

I don’t care who is on as long Scarlett sings, Rayna and Deacon keep falling in together, and Juliette continues getting out of the trailer park. The music is magic on this show. Soundtracks are awesome. Why cancel when you can sell DVDs and CDs? Renew

46. Joanna says:

Please renew this show!!!!