Cable Ratings: True Detective Finale Draws Record Crowd; Plus Lindsay's Premiere Numbers

True Detective Finale RatingsTrue Detective went out on a high note Sunday, with the Season 1 finale drawing a series-high 3.5 million viewers — a 50 percent increase from the 2.3 million that tuned in for the premiere.

Per HBO, with an average gross audience of 11 million viewers season to date, the acclaimed thriller ranks as the cabler’s most watched rookie series since Six Feet Under‘s 11.4 million in 2001.

RELATED | True Detective‘s 9 Most Profound Pieces of Wisdom, As Told By Cats

Looking, meanwhile, closed out it first season on HBO with 425K viewers, down from the penultimate episode’s series-high 519K.

Elsewhere on Sunday, OWN’s Lindsay docuseries premiered to a so-so 693,000 total viewers, up 57 percent versus what Oprah’s Master Class did in the time slot a year ago.

1. Chris says:

What about “Looking”?

2. Elin says:

Why are you guys not writing about Cosmos, that is the real question, because that thing is important and awesome.

3. CBWBDK1 says:

I’m not surprised the True Detective finale was epic!!

4. The Beach says:

Help! What the last couple of sentences that McConnahey says as they left the hospital that closed the show? I replayed it 3 or 4 times and still couldn’t understand him.

• Francine says:

He said “Once there was only dark. If you ask me, lights winning.” He was extra mumbly there :)

• IMHO says:

I did a few replays myself and couldn’t quite get that line. Thanks for the clarification.

• The Beach says:

Thank you, Francine. I’ve since seen that a lot of viewers had trouble understanding him. Since it was the last line of the finale episode maybe he shouldn’t have mumbled it so badly.

5. DarkDefender says:

I wonder if the HBOGo problem resulted in even less viewers. Did they count people who attempted to watch the finale of True Detective and were denied bc of the site crash?

6. kd86953 says:

Any clue how Shameless did? Last night’s episode was fantastic.

7. Gracie says:

Who cares about Shameless. That is such an overrated nasty show. I will miss True Detective and can’t wait for Orphan Black.

• kd86953 says:

Um, I care about Shameless and I think a lot of people care about Shameless. I’m sorry you think it’s a “nasty show.” And it’s funny you think it’s overrated when in fact, it’s quite UNDERrated. $10 says True Detective will be the awards darling and Emmy Rossum will once again get snubbed for her brilliant acting. Le sigh. Shameless is having a great season viewer-wise. I’m genuinely curious how they did last night.

• tiffanie says:

If you ask me True Detective was overrated Shameless maybe nasty but its awesome and I watch both. True Detective was good but not great in my opinion movies and Tv different strokes for different folks always.