Scoop: Josh Duhamel Cast as Co-Lead in CBS' Vince Gilligan-David Shore Drama Battle Creek

Josh Duhamel Battle CreekVince Gilligan has coaxed Josh Duhamel back to the small screen.

Duhamel has signed on to star opposite Dean Winters in the Breaking Bad creator’s straight-to-series CBS drama Battle Creek, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2014: Your Complete Guide to This Fall’s (Possible) New Shows and Who’s In Them

Co-written by Gilligan and House‘s David Shore (who will serve as showrunner), the project follows two disparate detectives, FBI Special Agent Milton Chamberlain (Duhamel) and Battle Creek PD, Det. Russ Agnew (Winters), as they labor to clean up the semi-mean streets of Battle Creek, Michigan, in the face of a complete lack of resources.

The cast also includes Kal Penn as Det. Fontanelle, Janet  McTeer as Commander Guziewicz, and Edward Fordham Jr. as Det. Aaron Funkhauser.

Bryan Singer is set to direct the premiere.

This marks Duhamel’s first major series role since wrapping his five-season run on NBC’s Las Vegas.

1. Jenrind says:

Man for someone who cut his teeth on the X-Files, with one of the best female protagonists of the 90s, it’s sad to see that Gilligan doesn’t care to continue this legacy forward. Lots of men, one woman. PASS.

2. Kristen says:

Josh Duhamel? Dean Winters? Count me in!!

3. Dan says:

Yay another cop/crime show.

4. Andrew Hass says:

I’m very happy that Josh Duhamel is coming back to TV to star in a series.I’m sure he got offers in the past but maybe he was waiting for the right series and right time.

5. CCHIARO says:

great news! looking forward to this one

6. Zach says:

People are going around thinking this is another generic cop show and they could not be more wrong. It’s very comedic, and from the people behind Breaking Bad and House. Has a very good shot at being the biggest drama on CBS since NCIS. And they’re biggest dramedy since Northern Exposure.

7. Isabelle says:

Now I have to watch. Anything Josh does, I’m there.

8. Jeff says:

Wish they’d cast Timothy Olyphant as his brother and fellow cop – just saying, I wish somebody would make use of their similarity in appearance already.

9. Bryce says:

As a michigan resident, this concept is a bit confusing. Battle creek isn’t exactly renowned for anything other than cereal (Kelloggs is headquartered there). I dunno. I’ll check it out, but I’m just a little perplexed by the choice of location lol.

• Matthew Weber says:

Totally agree with this, it’d only be worse if they had it in Portland Michigan instead. (my hometown).

• Deann says:

I sort of agree. Kelloggs, Post Cereal, the old civil defense headquarters are about all that is there. I love Battle Creek but there is not a whole lot there anymore.

• Zach says:

It’s supposed to be a kind of middle of nowhere town. They’re really underfunded and that’s why Duhamel’s character comes in.

• Julie says:

I think that’s sort of the point.

• wingsstef says:

Well what about the zoo? As a Michigan person myself. It made me pause too. But who knows. I am more an east-side Michigan girl, so maybe there is more to Battle Creek than I know. Either way, I am curious and will be checking it out.

10. I Heart Damon Salvatore says:

I’ve loved him since his days as Leo on All My Children. So excited he’s making a TV comeback!

11. Matthew Weber says:

Still pissed NBC cancelled Las Vegas, and on a cliff hanger too.

• Julie says:

I know, right! Did Delinda have her baby or what? ;) Seriously though…Las Vegas was the definition of guilty pleasure and I really do miss Josh, Molly, Vanessa and the guy that played Mike on Friday nights.

12. Giovanni says:

Sounds like a winning team …

13. Ashbash says:

As a Michigan resident who grew up near Battle Creek either this show will be deeply exaggerated or incredibly boring because no one in or from Michigan would ever say that battle creek has any type of mean. It’s a very pleasant place so I’ll wait to see how long this show lasts because I think these producers confused their Michigan cities. But I guess I’m happy Josh Duhmel is back on tv for however long it is

14. I like Josh, even if it’s on another cop show. I agree with “Jeff” that casting Timothy Oliphant as his brother would be a good thought, especially since Tim’ gonna be out of a job soon.
    I will be watching this one.

15. BTM says:

Is there a cereal killer? Sounds GrrrrrrEAT!

16. micki says:

when will the new season of the kardashians be back?

17. Bella says:

So happy that Josh Duhamel will be on t.v. again. And I love cop shows.

18. JAO says:

As another Michigan resident in Kalamazoo which is 18 miles from Battle Creek, I can’t imagine what they could possibly write about! Low Winter Sun didn’t make it and BC seems it might try to be a similar story.

• Mechanic says:

Maybe they will talk about how the Unions destroyed a whole list of companies in BattleCreek,in fact if I remember correctly, the entire BC police force was fired for going on strike. Check the history of how the Unions dominated this fine little town.

• Alisa Neely says:

as the daughter of a retired UNION MEMBER…..i SUPPORT THE UNIONS….safety issues, penisons, health insurence, etc…..maybe even JOB SECURITY….and decent wages.

19. Alisa Neely says:

here comes ANOTHER person from michigan….i have to agree…..it would be like them trying to do a show around “flat rock”….though i have to say: THANK GOD, it’s NOT about detroit……i don’t know about the rest of you from MI. , but i cringe every time michigan is mentioned on a cop show or law type show…… it’s like “NOT AGAIN”……and what is UP with networks dropping shows, with a CLIFFHANGER?….A&E did it with the “glades”.

• wingsstef says:

LOL, lol, when I saw first saw you wrote “UP”, I first thought you were going to reference the Upper Peninsula. LOL, now that will be funny. No offense to those that live in the U.P. though. But hey, like others said above. Maybe it will be more of a dramedy. And that’s fine with me. The only cops shows I regularly watch have some kind of “hook” that makes them less like a “stereotypical cop show.” I wish it luck. Some of these comments are really cracking me up.

20. jj says:

David Shore = pass

21. Sandy says:

There is a rougher side in Battle Creek, I used to live down the street from the federal center and would hear gunshots thru the night quite frequently and find empty casings in the parking lot the next day, so I don’t think they are too far off base. But yes, most of battle creek is pretty low-key.

• Fred says:

Yeah, I’m from Ionia, about 45miles from BC, and what keeps me interested is the involvement of Vince Gilligan who surrounds himself with master storytellers. This, more so than the fact that it takes place in “Cereal City USA” keeps me optimistic. Maybe they’ll emphasize stories about the characters rather than the old crime of the week kind of cop drama.

• WingsStef says:

That definitely would be the route I hope they take! It would be nice to see a show about Michigan either way. It sounds like a fun show.