Once Upon a Time Recap: Monkey Business!

Once Upon a Time NYC SerenadeAs ABC’s Once Upon a Time resumed Season 3, Emma’s idyllic New York City life was intruded upon by a pirate; Regina and the Charmings (and a new friend who “smells like forest”) made a shocking discovery; and a green witch began casting her wicked spell.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Returns With a ‘Whodunnit Mystery’ That’s Quite Wicked, Even a Bit ‘Creepy’

IN NEW YORK CITY…. | One year into her aprés-Storybrooke life, Emma’s romantic date with Walsh, her beau of eight months, takes two interesting turns — first, when Hook appears across the table from her to again try to convince herJENNIFER MORRISON, CHRISTOPHER GORHAM that she’s living a lie, and that her family is in danger and needs her. To that end, he slips her an address to check out, if she wants to know the truth about herself and her parents. The second twist happens when Walsh surprises Emma with a very “rich” dessert — an ice cream sundae accompanied by an engagement ring. Explaining that she doesn’t do “fast,” Emma asks for time to make her decision, and Walsh, to his credit, doesn’t go bananas.

Checking out the address, Emma is led to baby daddy Neal’s dusty digs, where she spies his dreamcatcher, a bloodied rag (nice continuity!) and a camera with a monogrammed “HENRY” strap (hmm, not ringing a bell). But how could that be, if Neal never knew of Henry, if they’d never been there before? A spooked Emma meets up with Hook at Central Park, where he sounds even more like a “mad man,” alluding to her fantastical origins. He then proffers a potion Once Upon a Time NYC Serenadethat will restore her MIA memories (“Drink the thing the crazy guy just offered me? No thank you”), but she defers and instead sics the cops on the man who assaulted her. (“‘Twas a kiss!”)

But later, when Emma comes across photos from her Storybrooke past, she springs Hook from the “barbaric” NYPD “brig” (and its offerings of “bologna”!) and kicks back the potion. And one whiz-bang Seasons 1-3A montage later, she remembers it all. As Hook catches her up some back at her place, Walsh comes knocking, so Emma brings her beau to the roof to give him the hook. “I wish you hadn’t drank that potion,” he grumbles, before going ape. Or, more accurately, flying monkey. (“Really?”) Emma fends off the vicious winged Once Upon a Time NYC Serenadeprimate with a steel pipe, sending him tumbling to the pavement far below, where he disappears with a poof of smoke.

The next morning Emma (“suiting up” in her red jacket), Henry (still sapped of his Storybrooke memories) and her oddly garbed friend “Killian” (“Lend him a hand”) make tracks for Maine, so that bail bondswoman Emma can work on a new “case.”

PHOTOS | Once Upon a Time Spring Preview: Addled Emma, MIA Neal and Other Qs Answered

IN THE FAIRYTALE LAND OF ONE YEAR AGO… | Aurora and Mulan’s Phillip’s romantic picnic is interrupted by the sudden appearance of Snow White, Prince Charming, Regina, the Dwarfs, Ruby (!) et al, returned home by the anti-curse. Aurora bring the gang somewhat up to speed on today’s Enchanted Forest, yet withhold a seemingly ominous detail. In private,Once Upon a Time NYC Serenade Aurora insists to her prince that they must tell “her” that everyone is back, lest “she” take it out on their unborn baby.

When Snow suggests that the people of Fairytale Land could benefit from seeing onetime enemies form a united front, Regina agrees to let everyone crash at her castle. Hook, though, has his own agenda — to find his home, the Jolly Roger (or steal another’s ship, as a pirate will do), which disappoints the Charmings. But as he argues, the hero thing “didn’t take,” and he’s “always been a pirate.” Neal meanwhile has it in his head that at his father’s place there might be means to bring back Rumple Once Upon a Time NYC Serenadeand/or get Neal back to Emma. Snow states that there’s no more portal-hopping, while Charming points out that Emma is now happy, but Belle has some ideas, noting that they never saw Rumple’s dagger after he vanished.

En route to the castle, Snow catches Regina burying her heart. Regina explains that with Henry gone, this is the only way she can feel anywhere close to nothing about her loss. Snow coaxes her frenemy to plop her pumper back in, saying that she owes it to Henry to leave herself open to the thing he always wanted for her: happiness. Moments later, Snow and Regina are attacked by a flying monkey, but saved by Robin Hood. The thief Once Upon a Time NYC Serenadeand his merry men don’t make much of a first impression on her majesty, but Snow (“He’s kind of cute, huh?”) seems determined to play wingman for Regina.

Arriving at the castle, Regina discovers that her protection spell has been hacked and thus is impenetrable, though no one knows whose wicked handiwork this is. But Regina is resolved to find out who’s eating her porridge and possibly even (gasp!) sitting in her chair!

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Season 3 — Hook Versus Blackbeard?!

IN STORYBROOKE…. | Emma’s yellow bug pulls into town at night, with Henry asleep in the back. She remarks to Hook that Storybrooke looks as cursed as ever, then she sets out to find her folks. When Charming opens the door, there’s a moment where he cOnce Upon a Time NYC Serenadean’t believe what he’s seeing, and Emma is worried everyone lost their memories again — but then father and daughter joyously reunite. Charming explains that the only thing no one can remember is the past year, that it’s as if they never left Storybrooke after bidding Emma and Henry adieu at the town line. So how do they know it’s been about a year? Because Snow is very pregnant, as revealed when Emma’s mom comes downstairs. But who would cast this strange new curse, and why…?

The hour closes with a return to Fairytale Land of One Year Ago, where the monkey that attacked Regina deposits a drop of the Evil Queen’s blood into a vial held by a green hand. We then meet our new big bad, who purrs to her henchmonkey, “The queen may be evil, but I’m wicked. And wicked always wins.”

What did you think of “New York City Serenade”? And what burning questions did it leave you with? Because I’ll have answers to many later this week.

1. TK says:

“Walsh, to his credit, doesn’t go bananas.”

I see what you did there.

• Cogamimaje says:

I find this comment very apPEELing. :)

• SUSO says:

Wait, Emma was boinking a monkey for eight months?

• Rikardo says:

A very cute monkey

• Mari says:

Since I don’t want to think about “hot monkey sex” being anything but a metaphor, I’m trying to convince myself that since the Witch was able to hijack Regina’s castle protection spell, she was also able to hack the memory spell and inserted Walsh/monkey into their memories only a few days ago.

True? Probably not. But until something on the screen proves that couldn’t have happened, my brain is sticking with it. I know his human form was attractive, but my brain keeps going “eew. monkey. eew. monkey.”

2. Piet says:

Something isn’t right with David and MM, you could just feel it in that scene. And who is the new big bad? I know there was a musical about her? :o

3. Amy says:

I loved it! I am glad Emma got her memories back quickly so we can get on with the season. I would have hated it if they had drug that storyline out too long. Can’t wait to see more of the wicked witch! This episode has me very excited about the rest of the season.

• Gil says:

Now let’s hope don’t give Henry his memories back and use the blank slate opportunity to create a likable and non-annoying character in his place. I personally think it is a brilliant way to rewrite a character they were having trouble writing for because normally you can’t make dramatic changes so quickly. Except with magic.

4. Victoria says:

Forever nostalgic of season 1 of OUAT.

• I agree it did feel like the first episode in some small ways.
      I like how it is reversed now… In the first episode Henry knew everything and Emma didn’t. Now Emma believes and Henry will need to believe…. I like it…

• Green Jello Frog says:

I agree with Victoria. To many worlds crossing over and back again.The storyline was great and I loved it. Now what we have monkey “business”

5. Josh says:

They force fed me this stuff called bologna. LOL’d

6. Joey says:

While I don’t agree with most things Hook says, I can say that we do share an utter disdain for bologna.

7. Party stamps says:

I was not impressed. How many curses and memory wipes are we expected to sit through? So Pan’s curse didn’t realty do anything? And that camera bit was too much. The thing I love about OUAT is that I can lost in the magic and it’s believeble (as it can be). That didn’t happen tonight.

• Lauryn E. Nosek says:

Actually, the camera is a call back to 2X15. They go back to Neal’s apartment to get Henry’s camera before they plan to head to a museum. Their plan changes when Hook attacks Gold and the camera was apparently left behind. Convenient? Yes, but there is continuity to it.

• First of all, this is from the writers of Lost. This could all end up being a dream of Henry’s… Or Worse. Secondly the whole show was originally based on Emma finding out about herself and going to story brooke to help break the curse on her parents and people of fairytale world. This is just an extension and basically going back to basics, The whole reason we fell in love with Once in the first place.
      Emma must go back and help break the curse. She is the savior.

• Douglas from Brazil says:

“Emma must go back” reminds of Lost lines : “We have to go back(to the island)”, I love the references in OUAT from Lost.

8. Kelley says:

There definitely was a “Whoa!” moment when Chris Gorham said Emma shouldn’t have drank the potion.

• nate says:

yea i thought that too. them damn monkeys almost human size

• jenferner8 says:

I heard that line and “are you a flying monkey?” literally popped out of my mouth. Seconds later I got my answer. I love that Regina and Robin aren’t exactly hitting it off, and, yeah, he is kinda cute.

9. Ashley says:

I LOVED it!!! Glad I didn’t have to wait several
    episodes for Emma to get her memories back!

• Stormy says:

Me too, but as cynical as Emma is, I don’t buy her drinking that potion without a chemical analysis.
      And I don’t think she “came across” some pictures of her past. I think she got the film from the camera [that no one remembers Henry having] developed.

10. Kelly says:

F. Too many curses and worlds while characters are ignored and family relationships are ignored. Wicked is disappointing and Emma is getting annoying and too much Hook.

• Danielle says:

The go be a jerk somewhere else and stop watching.

• Kelly says:

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. So please don’t be a jerk or bully and feel free to scroll. Goodnight

• Steph says:

If you can’t handle differences of opinion you should probably remove yourself from the comments section… Actually maybe this website, where there are opinions aplenty… In fact, you probably should turn off your computer altogether.

• Joey says:

Really, my only complaint was that there was a Hook overload.

• Ariadne says:

Definitely too much of Hook. Can we just consider this his centric episode and move on from him for awhile?

• Joey says:

Oh my god, please yes.

• Stormy says:

Anyone else noticed how much less “hot” he is without the guyliner? Still way ahead of Neal, though.

• janet says:

There’s no such thing as too much hook. He and Regina are the best characters.

• abz says:

They’re bringing in Blackbeard, and of course they’re going to go into why Hook was the one to receive the message and how he received it and how it managed to get to New York, so I expect there’s still a lot more Hook ahead.

• Norda says:

We need more Hook!

• Jenn says:

I love episodes with Hook.. And they had to have him because he’s the one who got Emma to remember.. Kind of hard to do that without showing Hook!

• Joey says:

Actually unless they show otherwise, they could have gotten literally anyone from the Enchanted Forest to go to Emma. There was nothing at all in that episode that indicated that Hook had to be the one to get Emma to come back. The only exception probably would have been Neal, as he’s the only one she still had any memories of, and they weren’t exactly pleasant (although they weren’t necessarily true).

• Meg says:

At the end of the episode David told Emma they couldn’t leave and that they were trapped again. Hook was always able to leave Storybrooke while retaining all of his memories.

• abz says:

I agree. We also need more backstory and flashbacks for his character. Also Regina and Hook bring the comedy to the show. They’re hilarious.

• Lia says:

You’re saying that on the very show in which the WHOLE main cast is one single huge family they ignored family relationships? So Neal and Belle’s quick talk about Rumple (they are sort of a family), Snow and Regina’s (stepdaughter and stepmother – and they even mentioned that when Regina reminded everyone she married into Snow’s royal family) honest heart to heart, Emma and Henry in perfect sync … seriously? Aren’t you being too harsh? This episode was setting up the main conflict (WWW vs. main cast, especially Regina) and presented the first questions (How did they end up in Storybrooke again? Is there a way to bring Rumple back?) that will be address through the rest of the season. Just chill.

• abz says:

How can Wicked be “disappointing” if it JUST STARTED?!?! Geez, some people!

11. Zachary Flye says:

I loved the premiere. I was really surprised by Walsh being a flying monkey, I liked that he wasn’t just an add on to the ridiculous love triangle that’s going on. I don’t know why Aurora and Phillip didn’t at least warn our heroes about the Wicked Witch and instead just betrayed them. It’s sad we didn’t see Mulan, would have loved that. I did love all the parallels between this episode and the pilot. I was surprised to see that Jared/Henry’s acting got a bit better which I’m hoping will stick. Regina and Robin meeting was awesom and I hope they don’t draw out that romance, at least not in both worlds, I just want to see Regina truly happy even if it is only for a little while. As to who will probably die at the end of the season, I really don’t want anyone to die, at least no series regulars, but if I HAD to pick someone I think would die, not someone I want to die mind you, it’d probably be Hook. Again, I don’t WANT Hook to die, but it’s the most probable I just hope they give whoever dies a proper send off.

• Lia says:

Mulan probably didn’t show up because they were unable to get the actress since she’s in another show.

• Caroline says:

I am also glad that Walsh ended up being a flying monkey. Emma has too many men on her plate and he initially looked like a good guy. Since the start of OUAT there was Graham, August, Neal, Hook, and then Walsh. I like her with Hook, but I also like her with Neal. I think the end game is Neal though. And there is Tinker Bell for Hook or maybe there is magic to duplicate Emma. By the way, am I the only one wondering if Emma did the DEED with a flying monkey? I don’t why but that’s making me laugh.

12. Kelly says:

Favorite part was the brief Neal and Belle interaction.

• Joey says:

When Neal isn’t arguing with Hook in that ridiculous love triangle, his moments are typically my favorites. Whether they’re Neal/Emma moments, Neal/Rumpel, Neal/Henry, or now Neal/Belle, I just love them. MRJ has such fantastic chemistry with his fellow actors. :)

13. James D says:

good episode. I’m also glad that the lost memory thing wasn’t dragged out so the rest of the season can progress. what’s with storybrook being back? did Regina do it to save everyone from the WWW doesn’t seem like it would be in her character but who knows. the ending has me wondering what’s going on between the two.

14. david says:

i felt it was slow and… odd. Ill wait for next week but so far i like the first half of season 3 way better

15. Amy says:

Loved the episode! Really had a ‘new’ ‘old’ feel to it! Brought me back to the pilot and not that I haven’t enjoyed the ride thus far but I am seriously looking forward to this seasons arc, and I just love the dynamic between Hook and Emma…The actors play so very well off each other, but in reality the whole cast is amazing (always love Regina) and the characters have grown so much! Can’t wait to see the new batch of episodes.

16. marina says:

Can I just say that I can’t wait till Regina and Robin Hood start flirting. Have a feeling it’s gonna be so much fun. And just a little nitpick: how do they know it’s been a year just by Snows pregnancy? It could be 2-3 or more

• Lia says:

Guessing here, but maybe because Snow wasn’t pregnant when they said good bye to Emma and Henry and now her belly is huge. If they had to guess, a year would be a good one (of course they ignored the fact poor Cinderella was pregnant for 28 years, hehehe).

• I think Marina meant how could they tell it’s been a year by Snow’s pregnancy, since she could have gotten pregnant a year or more after they were sent back and it could have been more time than just one year. I think though that it wouldn’t be too hard to find a computer or a calendar or something to figure out what year it was.

• Me says:

How about they all looked at calendars and saw it was a year later, confirmed by Snow’s pregnancy?

• Erica says:

Yes! Regina & Robin interacting is going to be so much fun.

17. Name This Tune says:

I loved it.
    And Henry is sounding like a teenager.

• Lena120 says:

I noticed that too. He made me feel old. His voice is changing and he’s gotten a little taller. It was really evident when Emma had her flashbacks and they showed him from the pilot. Oh boy, here come the awkward teen years!

18. Gail says:

I wonder how Neil was able to still have an apartment, since it has been a year since he went back to the Enchanted Forest. Its not like he could pay on his computer, I doubt they have internet in the Enchanted Forest. Its not like he anticipated being gone for a year. otherwise I enjoyed the show very much and look forward to what will happen next. I guess if Robin Hood and Regina hooked up in the Enchanted Forest, neither one remembers it so they will probably fall in love again in Storybrooke. It will be sad for Regina to be around Henry with him not remembering her.

19. Jen says:

how is she going to keep the two worlds separate from henry? when will he get his memories back? and who has his storybook?

20. john b says:

yet ANOTHER character…..and ANOTHER curse….this show has dragged on too long….bored already…..:/

• Name This Tune says:

That’s the premise of the show. If you are bored by this, you need to change the channel.

• abz says:

Of course there’s another character. What do you expect? It’s a TV show. Shows add new characters every now and then to interact with the main cast. How do you expect them to tackle Oz without bringing in characters relevant to the story?

21. Carol says:

Loved it! Nice reboot and great setup for the remainder of the season! Also, loved seeing Hook and Emma together and I hope we see that relationship progress!

22. Louise says:

Enjoyable. I got a bit more out of the FTL scenes overall with the reference to Aurora and Philipp’s secret, the Snow and Regina scenes, Belle and Neal finally interacting, Robin Hood and the Merry Men showing up and of course Robin and Regina’s perfect first encounter, and the first look at the Wicked Witch. But New York had some strong moments too. Loved that Emma’s red leather jacket got it’s own scene. ;) The Emma and David (and Snow) reunion in Storybrooke was an emotional high point of the episode. The CGI on the flying monkeys look great. I’m looking forward to next week. Hope we’ll end up seeing Roland again when they reach Robin’s safe haven in the FTL flashbacks and I can’t wait to find out more about the new curse on the Storybrooke level.

23. bales says:

Snow sure got over just losing Emma real fast. Charming too. Then again they do have what has mattered to them above all, each other. That ain’t optimism. That’s pure BS.

I did like the episode, but seriously that annoys me so much. The only good parents on ouat are, weirdly enough, Regina and Emma.

On another note, boy is Henry growing up right in front of our eyes. That split second of little season 1 Henry after Emma took the potion, totally make me tear up. :’)

Highlights of the episode for me:

1. Emma + red jacket = pure season 1 nostalgia right there.
    2. Regina burying her heart.
    3. Turns out Emma has been having sex with a monkey! (And Emma’s “Really?” cracked me up, never change Emma lol)
    4. Amazing CGI in this episode.
    5. Wicked Witch
    6. David/Emma reunion at the door
    7. Emma and Henry playing Diablo 3 and Emma’s character being a low level Wizard

Low points:

Hook/Hood

• L says:

Did anybody else notice the plates at the beginning of the episode when the characters showed up to Philip and Aurora formed a Hidden Mickey??? that was an awesome moment for us!!

• Katherine215 says:

How is having another child “getting over” losing Emma? Should their lives just stop because they can’t be with their daughter? I think you should tell that to real people who lose children and see what kind of reaction you get. I’d much rather see Snow and Charming having a baby than having fight after fight because they’ve lost their child.

24. Ram510 says:

So will Regina finally get together with Robin Hood since that was suppose to be her true love?

25. Kristi says:

I like the contrast between this episode and Season 1 with the role reversal of “believer” swapping from Henry to Emma. I can’t wait to see how she tries to explain everything to him. Although, something seems fishy with the new Storybrooke…

26. abz says:

I really enjoyed the episode. I loved the Emma/Hook scenes. The balogne comment made me LOL as well as his reply when Henry asked him what are you wearing.
    Can’t believe how fast Henry’s growing up? With regards to Henry, I think the one year fast-forward was definitely good. You can already tell his voice is changing and he’s a bit taller. He was also A LOT less annoying than he usually is and there was some better acting.
    I liked Emma’s red jacket moment and Regina burying her heart scene and the Robin/Regina interactions were hilarious.
    Also, Rebecca Mader seriously looks amazing! I can’t wait for more Wicked!!

27. Sean says:

I give it an A. Very good episode.

28. ShawnF says:

I find the Wicked Witch’s statement in next week’s trailer to Regina “You don’t know who I am?” Interesting….may have been already tossed around here, but let the speculation begin. I have seen on other sites some speculation that the Witch is Regina’s half sister…

My gut tells me her name is actually (Maid) Marian.

• Jess says:

I thought Maid Marian died. She was with Robin Hood and they had a son but then she died which is why Robin and his son are alone now.

29. ninergrl6 says:

You could make an entire zingers list out of Hook’s lines tonight. I laughed so hard after the “Why are you wearing THAT?” comment to Henry that I had to pause my tv until I caught my breath. I LOVE him. I wish the rest of the season was about Hook, Emma, and Henry’s road trip back to Storybrooke (or at least the next episode).
    I couldn’t care less about yet another curse and more Snow/Charming/Regina nonsense. I’ve been over them for at least 2 seasons. WHY another curse?! Why bring them back to Storybrooke at all? There could be plenty of drama in Fairytale Land, past & present, without forcing the characters back to Maine. I’d rather watch Emma try to save her family in Fairytale Land than in Storybrooke AGAIN.
    Actually, I’d rather watch Emma, Hook, and Henry bumble around New York some more. I liked seeig Emna & Henry have a real, happy life. I’m surprised she got her memory back so fast. I thought it would’ve taken at least another episode. Honestly, I kind of wish it did. A memory potion? How convenient! It would’ve been more satisfying to me if she gradually started to have flashes of her past brought on by Hook trying to convince her. I guess the point was to get her back to Storybrooke as quickly as possible, but as I said, I’m not thrilled that the storyline is back there at all, let alone after 1 episode. So much for the big “reverse the curse” in the mid-season finale. It’s like it never happened!

• gdv says:

I agree. Great one-liners from Hook tonight. One thing I don’t like about this show is they don’t get enough humorous moments from the “fairytale characters in a modern world” scenario. At least the “Why are you wearing that?” exchange between Hook and Henry was something, but a road-trip episode with Hook would be really funny!

30. Heidi says:

I’m really confused. Can someone recap for me why they are in Storybrooke AND the Enchanted Forest/Fairytale Land? I thought the curse sent them all to the latter and Storybrooke was no more?

• Meredith says:

It was a little hard to follow, but they kept flashing back and forth btn Enchanted Forest a year ago (when the curse was rescinded and everyone went back to the Forest) and our realm current day (where it seems as though everyone has just landed back in Storybrooke). I believe whatever the Wicked Witch is cooking up at the end of the episode is the curse that sends everyone back to Storybrooke (although perhaps sans Queen).

• Heidi says:

Ah! Thank you, Meredith!

• Sara says:

Oh my god, thank you! I was so confused!!! And normally I can follow all those back and forth flashbacks.
        SOOOO – the Enchanted Forrest is after Rumple “dies” and Pan sends them back and then NY/Storybrooke is a year later??

So when MM and David say “we don’t remember” does that mean that everything happening in the Enchanted Forest is what they don’t remember?? Like that whole scene with them walking to the castle as a group? And meeting Robinhood?

I’m so lost. And then at some point in the Enchanted – they are sent back to Storybrooke?? Gah.

• Zachary Flye says:

That’s the whole point. The FTL stuff is what happened RIGHT AFTER they went back, but they don’t how they got back (a year later) or why they came to Storybrooke or really what happened over the past year. So pretty much they aren’t in two places at once, we’re just being caught up on what they currently don’t remember

31. Diz says:

Glad it’s back, but why was everyone so up in arms that Emma would forget everything and all it took was a swig of potion for her memories to return like nothing happened? I guess Rumple could have made the potion that no one else could think up until they revived him, but still.

32. Erin says:

I’ve spent the last four years watching Covert Affairs, so having Chris Gorham not acting like he’s blind threw me a little bit. I don’t care about the Storybrooke stuff at all. I just want to see more of the return to the Enchanted Forrest. I’m also glad that we didn’t have to wait multiple episodes for Emma to remember everything.

• wordsmith says:

I kind of agree. In an hour filled with strange and disconcerting things, seeing Christopher Gorham making eye contact was perhaps the most jarring. I’ve definitely grown accustomed to that thousand-yard stare.

• abz says:

Haha, me too. In all his scenes, I kept thinking about how he wasn’t Auggie and he wasn’t actually blind. :P

• Katherine215 says:

Same here! Which is a credit to Chris for making it so believable that he’s blind in CA. I hope they bring him back for a few more episodes as a bad guy. I was totally shocked he was a bad guy, but I’m ok with it if it brings him back to the show more.

33. A says:

So Neal set the new curse right? Why didn’t he go get Emma and Henry if everyone came back?

• Gail says:

The characters are trapped in Storybrooke. They can’t leave. David mentioned to Emma that they are trapped. Hook was not cursed. He was off on his own for the year and can leave Storybrooke. Hook was not with the others so he doesn’t know what happened to them during the year.

• Mari says:

We don’t know Neal ‘s situation right now – there might be a physical or magical reason he can’t. Plus, while their history is more nuanced than this, until the potion he was the guy who set her up and abandoned her. She panicked when she thought he might be connected to Hook. If Neal had actually been the one to show up she might have ran.

34. My family and I watched this tonight…and we’re confused. We’re hoping you fine folks here can help us out with 2 problems. So, Emma gets her memories back and she, Henry and Hook head back to Storybrooke. (Problem #1) In the last episode, Regina CLEARLY states that once the curse takes over, everyone BORN in the Enchanted Forest will go back there…this is why Neal has to go (even though he left much earlier than the original curse). If that’s the case…Emma was born there also! Shouldn’t she have had to go back? (OK…I know she’s the savior and might’ve gotten a special dispensation from Regina). On to Problem #2…again, in the last episode Regina CLEARLY states that Storybrooke will no longer exist (we even went back to the episode to watch again to see what she said exactly) and she says that it will be like it was before she enacted the curse…there is no town there. So how do we have a Storybrooke there a year later?

• Nessie says:

I don’t know about problem number 1 (I think you’re right in that Emma only escaped it because she’s the savior, Regina mentions it specifically when she’s talking about what will happen).
      As for #2, Storybrooke did disappear with everyone, it was gone for the whole year. The new curse that brought all the fairytale characters back recreated it when they came back.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

1) It was made clear that, as you said, Emma had a special exemption as Savior.
      2) As Charming himself said at end of Sunday’s episode, a new curse restored Storybrooke and put them back there.

35. Ana says:

Hey Matt – still a little curious what happened to that hug between Hook and Emma but New York City Serenade was still a great episode with all the brilliant writing and performace by the cast that we’ve become accustomed to. I loved the many parallels to “Tallahassee” for Hook and Emma – literally taking us back to when they first went up that beanstalk together. Hook being able to read Emma like an open book back then and telling her now that he knows her better than she knows herself; Emma cuffing him to that bench just like she did up at Tiny’s castle, and the parallels between Hook and Henry from the pilot, with Henry telling her to trust her super power and Hook doing the very same thing now.

I love how Jennifer describes Hook being “the first person who hasn’t let her down” in another interview because, as a viewer, that’s exactly how I feel as well. Killian Jones might always be a pirate but his heart is capable of immense love and he is fiercly loyal in said love – his feelings for Emma are very genuine and he always comes back for her, putting her first no matter how high her walls may be. I can’t help but hope that Emma will come to see that he came back for her, to “save” her from a life of lies and to get her home, and,
    hopefully, in time, show her that even the Savior can have a happy ending.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

There was never a scripted hug in that scene. You can thank the overzealous long-lens paparazzi for capturing a random moment and thus misleading fans.

• janet says:

Great comment! Can’t wait to see how it all plays out.

36. Nessie says:

Having Christopher Gorham turn into a monkey was such a waste of having him. When he said ‘I wish you hadn’t have drank that potion’ it was an awesome moment and got me really excited about who he could be and why he’s working for the Wicked Witch…and then poof he’s a monkey and gone. (yes this is me just wishing he could be around longer because I think he’s a fantastic actor). Otherwise the episode was good.

• Walsh could be someone important and according to a post mortem interview I just read, they haven’t totally denied that we won’t see him again. As Covert Affairs also films in Vancouver there could be a small chance we get him again.
      In the promo for the next ep, Snow says that people are being turned into Flying Monkeys this could mean that he was someone that became a monkey because of Zelena. Never say never…

37. Jus says:

I don’t have a problem with Robin Hood as a character. Don’t know much about him, but I seriously have a problem with the way they’ve started this storyline in “Quite a common fairy”. Lion tattoo? Pixy dust? Soul mate? ooookay. I just think I would prefer not to know that he is THAT guy. Because it creates this forced illusion that you have to root for them.

For some reason this irritates me. Their first meeting was a little bit underwhelming. Not sure Regina needs that kind of storyline at the moments, but I guess I will just have to wait and see.

• Dawn says:

It is a perfect set up between Regina and Robin Hood. You know that even with pixie dust, true love and tattoos, Regina will fight the attraction until the end. She has never opened herself up to love completely after losing her fiancé. Even with Henry she kept a distance. This will be great to watch the human side of Regina develop.

38. jabell says:

SPOILER (but not for OUaT) here. Augie, our favorite blind spy, has morphed into a winged monkey! That’s almost as shocking as when he turned out to be the killer on Harper’s Island. THAT was a shock!

39. Pat says:

Kudos, to a commenter who predicted weeks ago, that Walsh was probably working for the Wicked Witch and was most likely a monkey! Who ever called this, they nailed it and it happened on the first return episode. I am glad the new episodes have started up and I did enjoy watching last night.

40. Minsmom says:

I thought last night’s episode was great. I just wish they stayed closer to the story in The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. In that book WWW wasn’t green nor were the shoes ruby colored (they were silver). The Witch was old, dried up and had a telescope for an eye. That eye alone is way cooler than green skin. Also, the flying monkeys were not her henchmen. The were cursed by the witch of the north to obey the commands of whoever possesses an enchanted crown, but it only worked 3 times. Dorothy did get the crown and used it to free the monkeys.

I think the green witch could be Dorothy. Maybe Regina did something to Auntie Em and Uncle “Henry” that sent Dorothy down the path to wickedness. She knew where to get powerful magic.

• John NYC says:

If they stayed close to other’s stories they’d be constrained by the other’s creations: this way, like with Pan, they get to play having set it up that they don’t stick to “the books”.

• dthomas74 says:

I thought I had read somewhere before that they were going more off the book Wicked than the Wizard of Oz movie. I could be wrong, but I believe that is why she is green.

41. guest says:

I loved all of the scenes between Emma and Hook!

42. Ola says:

Loved the brief ADORABLE Outlaw Queen scene <333

43. emma says:

the most important question of the episode is: how snow can be sure that charming is her baby daddy? one year can make a lot of difference… LOL

44. Melly Mel says:

I aalso though ugh, she was having monkey love! Something that Henry said, caught my attention, but i didn’t figre out why til way later, he said Walsh must have been mr right because he was the only bf she had ever introduced to Henry, and i was like awe. Then i realized duh! she never introduced Henry to anyone because their memories were lies, lol, so slow of me.

• Stormy says:

My take was that Walsh is Walsh, but he is transformed into the flying monkey at the whim of Zelena, just as Archie/Jiminy is a real human but transformed into a cricket. So, Emma was seeing a human who is alternately another form through transmogrification.

• Jeff says:

Exactly – everybody keeps bringing up this “Ugh – sex with a monkey” but it’s really the other way around – a man turned into the winged creature.

45. joefromwb says:

Anybody else watch the group discovering the barrier over the Witch’s Castle and think “Oh, so the Wicked Witch of the West is the one who put that dome over Chester’s Mill”?

46. Morgaine says:

I don’t have a PVR so can’t go back and watch the scene again – however – when the old reliable yellow VW arrives in Storybrooke – did it have Massachusetts plates? If so – why? Does Emma have a car tucked away in storage in every town in case she gets a gig there? Perhaps I read it wrong – I will have to wait till it pops up on demand – just wondered if anyone else noticed it!

• gdv says:

The curse didn’t alter what happened in the past—only the memories of it. Therefore, since Emma first came to Storybrooke from Boston, the bug would still have Massachusetts plates. Though (real-world thought) I don’t know why she wouldn’t have updated them if she had been living in NY for a year.

I wonder if we’re going to get to see her and Henry when they first get to NY and settle in?

47. PFitzDC says:

I was sooo worried we were going to drag on with Emma refusing to believe in her fairy tale beginnings and be a repeat of Season 1. Delighted that the writers moved everything along quickly! Excited to see what’s next!

48. Emma says:

Plot twist… it’s not Charming’s baby! haha

49. Cate53 says:

I’m very happy Storybrooke is back! I don’t really care for Fairytale Land that much unless in brief!
    Regina is my favourite, and I’m interested to see what they do with her now. She’s clearly shown herself to be redeemed by giving Emma and Henry their happiness when ending the curse at the end of the last episode. Good to see she still has a little snark – don’t want her too warm and fuzzy. I know OUAT plays with fairy tale canon but Robin Hoods true love is always Maid Marion. I remember he had a son, did they kill her off off-screen way back when her was introduced?
    Looking forward to the Regina/Henry reunion. With no memory, Henry won’t remember her of course. Wonder how long they will keep him in the dark?
    Anyway, good start to the next bunch of episodes. Enjoying the reset.

50. jc says:

The episode overall was a little underwhelming for me… loved a few parts though, especially Emma and Henry playing video games together. Okay so here is my question for anyone with insight…

How does the whole returning back to FTL work? I would have to imagine that it would be a relatively spatial return. The whole lot of characters we saw standing at the Storybrooke town border returned to FTL all in a group. HOWEVER, we clearly see Red/Ruby (pleasant surprise!) standing with the group upon their arrival back to FTL, and she was not there at the end of 3.1 when Regina was undoing her curse. Also, Blue Fairy was not anywhere near the group when they arrived back in FTL, and yet she was standing right with them when they were in Storybrooke. So… I’m just curious about that. Is it just a simple case of lack of continuity with the writers? If so, eh, it’s a little bothersome for someone like myself who likes continuity, but I can accept that.