Veronica Mars Movie: Jason Dohring Answers the Burning Question - Is 'LoVe' Still in the Air?

Veronica Mars Movie SpoilersIt’s a hot June day outside the Veronica Mars movie set, but the real heat is taking place inside the Edison lounge in downtown Los Angeles. Filming a scene at the Neptune High 10-year reunion, Jason Dohring‘s Logan weaves his way through the crowd. He pauses ever-so-briefly as his eyes momentarily lock with Veronica’s across the room.

Yes, in case you had any doubt, Dohring can still smolder. And yes, years later, there are definitely still sparks between former lovers Veronica and Logan, a fact TVLine can attest to after visiting the film’s set last summer.

PHOTOS | Veronica Mars Movie Scoop: Love Lives, Jobs and Offspring Exposed! Plus: A ‘Mature’ Logan?

“Both of them, obviously, have moved on in their own ways,” says Dohring while taking a break from shooting. Veronica is now a soon-to-be hotshot New York City lawyer with a boyfriend, and Logan is in “a good place” having found “more discipline in his life.” (He’s not all mature, though: Logan — as well as V’s male pals and her sweetie Piz — get into a brawl at the reunion because of “some mistreatment of Veronica that is not acceptable,” teases Dohring.)

At the movie’s start, the one-time couple hasn’t talked in nine years, “so it’s been rough,” describes the actor. “Despite his trying to reach out to her, she hasn’t been very receptive, necessarily, because of the way things ended in Season 3… She says, ‘That’s it.’ That’s where we are, and then we have to rebuild from there.”

VIDEO | Veronica Mars Movie Sneak Peek: Watch the First Two Info-Filled Minutes Now!

Veronica Mars Movie SpoilersStill, even after nearly a decade of radio silence following their tumultuous – not to mention, frustratingly open-ended – conclusion in the show’s series finale, “LoVe,” as ‘shippers dubbed the pairing, is still alive and kicking.

When Logan calls upon his ex for her P.I. help after being accused of murdering his pop-star girlfriend, Veronica comes to his aid and the two pick up right where they left off — witty banter, sexually-loaded glances and all.

“Once you have that type of… relationship, I think it always stays,” says Dohring. “And whenever I even look at Kristen [Bell], I just start feeling that way.”

VIDEO | Watch the Veronica Mars Movie Trailer!

“When I see Kristen, I’m just in love with her as a person. She’s amazing,” he adds. “When I do scenes with her, I just love to work with her, and I think that’s what comes through [during] Veronica/Logan [moments].”

So can viewers expect the “epic” lovers to find their way back to each other, romantically? “That’s what the [Kickstarter] backers [who financed the film] paid to see,” replies Dohring. “I’d hate to see what they’d do if that’s not the case.”

But this is the dark, complex world of Veronica Mars, so he hastens to add, “[Creator] Rob [Thomas] doesn’t write everything really cut-and-dried, so it’s not like it’s all well and good in the end. But I think people will be happy.”

The Veronica Mars movie hits theaters and online retailers March 14.

1. alistaircrane says:

Looking forward to this movie! I hope it exceeds my expectations.

2. Jade says:

Jason Dorhring looks thinner and more mature in the movie. He always had a cute baby face on the show years ago.

3. Steven says:

II’m excited about the movie, but not about LoVe. I know it’s inevitable, but I wish Veronica would realize that Logan just isn’t good for her. I’d rather see her end up alone. She doesn’t need a man.

4. Lauren says:

Just bought my tickets!!!! Can’t wait!!! I hope it lives up to expectations. I have faith in Rob and the gang.

5. Lecholls says:

One more week! I’m so excited about new scenes with Logan and Veronica after all of these years.

6. K. says:

Love LoVe! Can’t wait for the movie….

7. Tookie Clothespin says:

No, that’s not what I paid for. If it happens I won’t be outraged but, I’m not going in with the hopes that they end up together.

8. Valgalpalgal says:

Austin premier party tomorrow night! Can’t hardly wait to find out!

9. A says:

CAN’T WAIT!!!

10. lei says:

It’s excruciating that this movie is not going to come out in Argentina and TVLine keeps posting about it.

• Martoukian says:

It’s probably barely going to “come out” anywhere, except on video or maybe some minor cable network.

• guest says:

It’s far from a major wide release, but it’s a much bigger (and yes even worldwide) theatrical release than you make it sound like.

11. Martoukian says:

I think it’s funny how characters on TV shows and movies always have 10 year high school reunions, so that they can do reunion stories but the actors are still young and sexy. They don’t want to do more realistic 20 or 30 year reunions with more paunches, gray hair, combovers, etc.

• David4 says:

The movie had a tiny budget, why bother aging them faster and wasting money?

If this movie was made in 2023 they would say it’s been 20 years.

Look at the Save By the Bell cast, still look amazing 20+ years on.

• guest says:

Why is a 20 or 30 year reunion more realistic than a 10 year reunion? That doesn’t make any sense, it’s like saying that being old is realistic while being young is not. How does that make sense? Both happen, both are realistic.
      Plus, think about it, 20-30 years out? It’s a lot harder to bring something back, never mind keep something going that long so of course you’ll have lots of 10 year reunions assuming you want the same cast.

12. Whatevah says:

Veronica should have never ended up with Piz…ever. LoVe shipper all the way!

• Nick says:

I totally agree. Piz is just boring. Boring boring boring the whole time. I’m not saying “Bad Boy” Logan was a good choice, but it’s just annoying to see Veronica with this shallow one-dimension-personality dude as I’m rewatching season 3.
      I guess that’s probably one of the reason season 3 ratings were not so good and that ultimately got the show cancelled.

13. Mari says:

OMG I just cant wait any longer anymore!

14. Bernadette says:

New York City Premiere party on Monday night – should be epic!

15. Tee says:

Never was a fan of Piz, not because I thought he was a foil for her being with Logan or anything, just something about his hyper, nervous energy I never liked. He kinda felt like a puppy dog, cute to hang around with and befriend. Same with Private Practice for the short while I watched it, I kinda felt like he was playing the same character.

But if they’ve been together most of these ten years, leaving him all of a sudden is pretty harsh.

• Kate says:

Since the movie trailer seems to suggest that Veronica hasn’t even met his parents yet, I’m hopeful that this is just a recent reconnection. Personally, I can’t wait to see him go.

• Meredith says:

I believe I read somewhere that Veronica and Piz also lost touch and just reconnected in NY so I think we’re good on all accounts.

16. Dea says:

I never liked Piz. It seems like a lot of the show’s fan forgot that he knew that Veronica was dating Logan. It was inappropriate of him to continue pursuing her with the full acknowledgement that she was with someone else.
    Not to mention, when at Parker’s birthday party, she was trying to tell Piz that she saw him just as a friend, but he took advantage of her vulnerability (of Logan moving on from her and dating Parker) and kissed her.
    Piz is the definition of “the nice guy” but is not truly a nice guy.

• Kate says:

Agreed. Not a nice guy and his whole ‘kidding on the square’ schtick was profoundly irritating.

That said, I kind of find the media’s contention (mostly through movie publicity),that Piz had anything to do with their break-up to be re-writing history as well. Logan and Veronica broke up for their own reasons, most of which had to do with serious, deep-rooted, painful trauma on both their parts that neither of them had the tools to deal with. Piz caused that about as much as a rubbernecker causes a major traffic accident. I find him irrelevant.

17. KrissyP says:

I just discovered this show on Amazon Prime. It’s really very good and I could kick myself for not watching it when it was on tv. I’m halfway through Season 3 and am looking forward to the movie. So far, I really love Logan. I love his witty banter with Veronica and I love the way he fights for his girl. Yes, he has his “psychotic jackass” moments, but he’s never boring. Piz, on the other hand, snooze fest.