Fox Renews New Girl, Mindy Project, Brooklyn Nine-Nine and The Following

Mindy Project The Following RenewedFox has granted early pick-ups to three of its comedies — New Girl, The Mindy Project and Brooklyn Nine-Nine — as well as its Kevin Bacon-fronted thriller The Following.

RELATED | Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled? On the Bubble?

New Girl will return for a fourth season, Mindy and The Following were each picked up for a third cycle and the Golden Globe-winning Brooklyn Nine-Nine will be back for a sophomore run.

RELATED | Fox Cancels The X Factor After Three Seasons, Orders Batman Prequel Drama to Series

TVLine’s hand-crafted Renewal Scorecard has thusly been updated.

Previously, Glee was renewed for Season 6, Bones was picked up for Season 10 and Sleepy Hollow was greenlit for Season 2. Additional Fox pickups will be announced at a later date.

Which of these renewals brings you the most joy? And which remaining Fox bubble show are you still rooting for?

1. enri says:

Yes!! Glad Mindy is sticking around.

• haymarilyn7 says:

No joy for me because I’m not watching any of these shows. It’s Almost Human that I’m waiting to hear about and desperately hope for a second season.

• suzyku says:

I’m in complete agreement with you! Hope they renew Almost Human!!

• Luminosity says:

Me, too! Almost Human is my family’s favorite new show of the season. We really hope FOX picks it up for a second season.

• Helen says:

RENEW ALMOST HUMAN !!!
        Please!

• edshrinker says:

YESYESYESYES! I have been covering this show for TV.COM and that is all we have been talking about since MOnday. The good news – if they wanred it gone, they would have said it already. The bad news – they have decided on that abortion of a show The Following already and NOT Almost Human. so they are still deciding.

• jenna says:

i’ve been waiting to see if fox renews almost human before i start watching it, *sigh* I hate that this is what its come to with networks axing shows so quickly. I’d rather not start a show than be invested and have it be cancelled

• prish says:

These Almost Human episodes work together, brilliantly. They make a satisfying set, although questions are left unanswered. The story writing, acting, directing, and editing are so well done, you HAVE to do a catch up, while the episodes are available. Don’t cheat yourself.

• Boston2AZ says:

Couldn’t agree more. I’ve said on these boards before (and to anyone who’ll listen) that Almost Human is far superior to Agents of Shield. It would be a shame if it’s not renewed.

• BabyFirefly says:

When you say the episodes work together brilliantly, are you referring to if you happen to watch them in the right order? It drove me crazy just how out of order they showed these episodes, as if they could care less if people were confused by out of sync character development… Don’t get me wrong, I love this show, I just wish they gave it the respect it deserves. I mean come on, for episode 10 they showed what should have been episode 4, where the bomb of Kennix being spied on was dropped. That would have been nice to know about months ago like we should have. My fingers are crossed, but it seems to be getting the Firefly treatment by Fox.

• Ron Doyle says:

DITTO DITTO DITTO – FOX needs to bring back Almost Human – what a great show with an interesting premise and the characters are growing!!! C’mon FOX listen to the fans!!!!

• up and over says:

Love Almost Human….great show.

• Kay says:

My feelings exactly. Don’t watch these, will not watch these. What about Almost Human?

• Marie says:

Also want Almost Human renewed (and yes, sing more 80’s songs please). Love the back and forth between the two main characters in this show. Too funny.

Happy for Mindy K’s renewal, though I’ve lost interest in the show. New Girl’s lost me as well because even though I enjoy the actors/characters, I can’t stand the Jess/Nick romance. Give me a break. Does every darn series HAVE to put the stars in a romance? Jeez, just let it be.

Thoroughly enjoyed B99. Bring it on!

• Huskygrl says:

I agree! I don’t watch any of the renewed shows but love Almost Human. Please renew and put it back on with Sleepy Hollow! Those two and Bones are the only things I watch on Fox. I really hope the network sticks with their tradition of giving well written, out of the ordinary shows a chance, it’s the kind of thing that keeps Fox competitive with the other nets and cable!

• Abby says:

I’m thrilled Brooklyn Nine Nine was renewed, but I’m hoping for an Almost Human renewal, too.

• Leslie says:

Yes, Almost Human is the one we want to be renewed — my family loves it, in fact my husband watches it even if I am not there, which is saying something!

• S. says:

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay Mindy! I was minding my own business, checking Twitter, when Shonda Rhimes sent out a tweet saying she was so glad and congratulating Mindy Kaling. I may have done some weird intake of air/screech. Apologies to anybody in my household that was awakened by the noise. The Mindy Project was the show I was most concerned about getting renewed so this was great news.

2. KP26 says:

Mindy Project is terribly unfunny. Great news for Brooklyn and New Girl though.

• Elyse says:

I have to disagree. I think New Girls been terribly unfunny since Nick and Jess got together. the Mindy Project isn’t as annoying to me.

• Sokratis lakrindis says:

Completely on bored. Actually stopped watching new girl after a few episodes of nick and Jess together. It’s sad to watch Jess with someone so terrible and unpleasant especially after so many great previous relationships. It takes away from any comedy

• JB says:

Elyse, you took the words right out of my mouth.

• Badpenny says:

I don’t think it is the relationship between Nick and Jess that have made New Girl unfunny. I think it’s the bad writing where they have taken all the characters to odd places. Nick is an idiot who was smart enough to pass the bar? Cece is now a bad bartender rather then a model? Winston is colorblind and going to be a cop at 30? Jess’ sister and Schmidt?
        The writing has ruined New Girl this year.

• RP says:

If they hadn’t made Schmidt cheat, and simply had both women dump him at the very beginning of the season, it would have been a COMPLETELY different show. Schmidt’s wrecked character pushed Cece out and ruined the entire loft dynamic. It feels like it’s finally coming back now, but he was unbearable to watch for 3/4 of the season.

• Cas says:

Funny because I agree about all of this really. I loved all the characters and I enjoyed Coach too but it got super awkward when Schmidt did what he did. He should have just picked CeCe and we could have avoided all of this because all of you Elizabeth supporters (I liked her too but still preferred CeCe and Schmidt) know it still would have been weird if he has chose her. I didn’t mind the Nick and Jess element as I thought they were cute but they could have developed their relationship better I feel like. No worries though I’m sure it’ll be super weird when they break up at the end of the season.

• Molly says:

I agree with this. I used to love New Girl, but I’ve never really been into Nick and Jess as a couple (though I think Jake Johnson is hilarious), so them being together can’t mask the way they’ve screwed up other plotlines. Schmidt crossed that fine line from lovable douche to a completely unsympathetic and unlikable one, and CeCe has a weird dynamic with everyone else now that her and Schmidt have no romantic subplot. Winston is kind of drifting without a plot, and the only thing saving the character is that Lamorne Morris is an extremely talented comic actor.

• J. Norman says:

I thought from almost the beginning that this show had the worst chemistry among the supporting cast of any show I’d seen. In took a leap of faith to believe that this group would hang out. . . much less live together. . .anywhere.
          I know young girls absolutely love Zooey Deschanel, but it takes more than that for a show to work indefinitely. That is what has happened and the ratings in the past 2+ years have mirrored that fact.

The show is so close to syndication numbers, though, that it would have been a shocker if it hadn’t been renewed.

• Lecholls says:

I love New Girl. I laughed so hard at the last episode. Mindy is okay, but I don’t care about many of characters. Maybe it’ll gel more next season.

• Dia says:

I don’t see how someone who watches the new girl and Brooklyn 9-9 can’t find the humour in the mindy project. In my opinion, it’s the same type of comedy!

3. mdbchud says:

Come on Fox. Give Enlisted a chance to shine. Take a chance and renew it and give it a competitive time slot. It had great potential. Maybe pair it with B99 on Tuesdays?

4. ScorpionGlow says:

The Following, YES!

5. Spoiler Junkie says:

The Mindy Project – HELLS YEAH!!! Very happy right now. :)

• S. says:

In honor of the decision, I say we go rewatch the kiss/butt grab seen ’round the world. :)

• Stacy says:

Ditto! This show really hit its stride in the the second season. My only negative is that the supporting cast is mostly forgettable. Luckily Kaling, Messina & Barinholtz keep me laughing.

6. John NYC says:

Brooklyn 99 for the win!

Fun show.

7. Et al says:

Goodbye Almost Human.

• Lena says:

Which is hilarious, because The Following ratings are not spectacular. Fox gave up on Almost Human long before this decision.

8. SUSO says:

The “Mindy” renewal is a HUGE (albeit welcome) shock.

• Brooke says:

Agreed. I’m so relieved though, it’s my favorite.

• Martoukian says:

I’m not shocked they renewed it, but I am shocked that they announced it early like this. I thought it had a chance, but that the decision would be delayed right up until the last second. I’m also not surprised about Brooklyn 99 or New Girl, but I was a little surprised about The Following.

9. dru says:

YES!!! for B99

10. LE says:

WOOW surprised they renewed Mindy! But I’m kind of happy I didn’t care much for the show on s1 but s2 has improved a lot. Guess with New Girl and Brooklyn slipping in ratings Mindy doesn’t look that bad. Glad they renewed Brooklyn too! One of the best comedies of the season, also happy for New Girl but the show has lost it’s edge. Don’t care for the Following….

11. drewcpu says:

Not looking good for Almost Human…

12. Stacie says:

if those shows were on (almost) any other network but FOX they would be cancelled. I think they have been averaging about 3 million the past number of weeks and only about 4 million for the whole season. If they were on ABC or CBS they would be gone. They might be gone on probably NBC, but given that NBC has kept low-rated Community and Parks and Rec around they might be ok with the numbers. I never got into Mindy Project, but I’m glad New Girl is back. Must be nice to be on a network where numbers really don’t matter.

• RP says:

At least FOX looks at DVR numbers, something that’s going to mean more and more as time goes on. I’m still surprised that it’s FOX that seems to be the more progressive network in regards to that, but happy these shows are all coming back.

• Mikael says:

I agree. Many networks have been desperately trying to ignore the rise of DVR and online viewing because the sponsors don’t get as much out of it, but it’s getting to the point where people are rarely watching live. Nielson is so obsolete these days. Fox has a bad reputation for canceling shows, but I think they’re definitely watching DVR ratings, which I believe saved Fringe a number of times and allowed a great show to finish properly. The Following gets a lot of hate, but to me it’s fun to watch BECAUSE of all the eye-rolls it induces.

• rarefied says:

I’ve been sort of vaguely and non-scientifically tracking ratings for the past 2-3 years because of a fan newsletter I was writing, and the live ratings have seemed to be dropping consistently across all the networks in that period. I think more people are watching later online or on DVR and the some of the networks are starting to take that into consideration.

13. kika says:

I want Enlisted to be renewed, the only comedy I watch on Fox!

14. Mare says:

So so SO happy about Brooklyn 9-9!! I adore that show! So funny and charming!

15. GuessWhat says:

Glad I quit THE FOLLOWING. Now the show will have yet another year to painfully meander.

16. Sam says:

Yaaaaay Mindy! Really thought this season would be the last. A welcome surprise!

17. Tran 2.0 says:

I’ll be disappointed if Almost Human gets canceled. Look what Fox did in the 2011-12 TV season when they pulled the plug on Terra Nova & Alcatraz (wasn’t what the series had in mind). :-(

• MaryLou says:

I’m also a big fan of Almost Human. That show is so good, it is something that is different from all of the other copycat series that are on now. I, too was totally disappointed about Terra Nova, and they actually had the nerve to replace it with that awful “Touch”, and look where that got them. I’m hoping that FOX is smarter than they were then and that they keep Almost Human, that and Sleepy Hollow are 2 of my favorites on FOX.

• Martoukian says:

What happened? You mean how they dumped 2 shows that cost too much and didn’t get good ratings?

18. Drew says:

The Following? Really? I would rather watch an hour of nothing but commercials. Almost Human will probably be canceled but it is way better and deserves to be picked up. Enlisted should be renewed too.

19. ames says:

Whoooo-hooooo!!!!!! So happy about the Mindy Project! I wss sure it was gone after they put it on hiatus. MY favorite show on tv since Hod has gone so off course this season. This news made my week!

20. Elyse says:

YES! B99 is one of my favs! it’s amazing :)

21. M says:

Dear Fox please renew enlisted

22. Brooklyn Nine-Nine!!!! Best comedy on TV. So glad it got renewed…..much deserved!

23. EL_S_Boy says:

Almost Human just got cancel… :(

24. Lizz says:

I maybe one of the few but I hope they keep dads. I really really like the show!

• RP says:

It was so terrible in the beginning, that I watched the first two episodes and stopped. However, I caught the finale and found it to be a entirely different show, and actually pretty decent. It’s a shame that networks can’t give a show room to stretch it’s legs a little before doing things like switching nights and putting them on long hiatuses.

• Lizz says:

Yes I t started off not so good but it got better and better and better. If you have hulu I recommend watching other episodes. Giovanni Ribisi and Seth green are awesome.

25. Babybop says:

Hell. Yes. I was a little afraid for Mindy! Best news ever!

26. Cory says:

So happy for Mindy Project

27. Tiera says:

So happy Mindy Project got renewed, the best news i’ve heard all day!!!!!!!

28. Dragonfly says:

Brooklyn 9-9, this is so stupid show, renew Almost Human PLEASE!!!!!

29. Para says:

Awesome Mindy Project !!!

30. Rich Abey says:

Hooray for Brooklyn nine-nine. Love the show & fully deserves a 2nd season (and the Golden Globe too..at least for freshening up the comedy scene!).

31. TL says:

Awesome! Can’t wait to see how absurd THE FOLLOWING gets in Season 3! (eye-roll)

32. SO pleasantly surprised by this! Both ‘The Following’ and ‘The Mindy Project’ getting renewed…feels like an early birthday present. FOX have been good to us this year :D

33. Raising Hope, it should have never been dumped in the horrible Friday night slot. It is funny, well written and has an extremely talented cast.
    Bring back Raising Hope!!!!!!!!!

• Zach says:

This season has been terrible. It makes me sad to see how low it fell. Really suffering without Greg Garcia.

• 4theloveoffilm says:

I don’t think it will survive for another season. I’d be extremely shocked if they renew it. However, I agree with you. It should not have been relegated to Fridays. It has been receiving close to zero promotion. And it is endearing, creative, and hilarious. It won’t be everyone’s cup of tea, but I wish FOX would keep it going. I just don’t see that happening.

34. Emily says:

Come on, Almost Human! Best new show this year – find another network!

35. Pat says:

I hope that Almost Human is getting renewed. I stopped watching the Following after the first season. Almost Human, Sleepy Hollow and Bones are my favorites on the Fox Channel. Please Matt, go back to the Producer’s and twist their arms to make them renew Almost Human and if you have the power to do this, I thank you in advance!

36. JulieAnn says:

Damn, Almost Human got canned. Stupid Fox, stuuupid.

37. Becky says:

Brooklyn 99 and Mindy are great shows! So happy that fox has faith in them. Hopefully more people will start tuning into these entertaining shows!

38. Andrew Hass says:

That’s great for those 4 shows and it may make sense to renew them early to give the producers of those shows time to prepare for next season and how they will end this season.As for other shows that are on the bubble i don’t think we should assume anything about them in regards to these 4 shows getting early renewal notifications.

39. Ana says:

For a while, I was seriously worried about the mindy project’s chances but omg YES. I have to wonder what kind of influence Mindy K has on FOX.

• RP says:

When you look at NG, TMP, and B99 all together, the whole line-up really puts FOX heads above the other networks in diversity (both in actors and content).

• Mel says:

That’s true, I love all three but am particularly happy for TMP, a great romantic comedy show! And B99 cracks me up every week.

40. Lauren says:

Hooray for Mindy Project! Have a legit woman crush on Mindy K. And I’m excited to see how the Danny/Mindy relationship pans out! The show is so funny, has definitely improved and found it’s groove a little more.

41. Marcinho11 says:

Big surprise for The Mindy Project. I thought it was getting cancelled.

42. Shasha says:

So for HAPPY for THE MINDY PROJECT!!!!!!

43. David4 says:

Who at The Mindy Project is having sex with the Fox network? The show never deserved a second season, and still doesn’t deserve another.

The ones that do are Raising Hope and Enlisted. Both of which should have moved to Tuesdays and let Glee die on Fridays.

• Zach says:

The Mindy Project shouldn’t have even made it past 13 episodes. Or the pilot stage for that matter. Seriously have no idea WTF Kevin Reilly sees in it.

• Ana says:

That’s your opinion and proclaiming it like it’s a fact doesn’t make it valid.

Happy for Mindy!

• S. says:

Just start by saying “My name is David and I come on message boards to hate on shows I don’t watch or properly appreciate as if they’re an obstacle to my own happiness.” The group will say “Hi David” and you can start to tell your story. You’ll feel better, I promise. It sounds like you’re one of those people that seemed to think there was some competition for a spot between TMP and Enlisted. There never was–they’re not the same audience and Enlisted would never be paired with New Girl–but go ahead and keep on hatin’. Criticizing a 2nd season that you didn’t even see? Classy.

44. Jenna says:

Yay bb9! Happy about mindy and new girl too but the b99 renewal makes my day.

45. Molly says:

Are the majority of the people here complaining about The Following being renewed Almost Human fans? The show isn’t canceled yet, relax.

• Drew says:

I just want The Following canceled because it sucks and is wasting schedule space. I am an Almost Human fan but the two aren’t necessarily related.

46. Eric7740 says:

The Following!!!! Heck yes!!!

47. Lecholls says:

So excited for another season of New Girl and B99!

48. None of these bring me joy. Joy will be when Fox does the right thing and renews Almost Human. Best new show out there!

49. rawley says:

MINDY PROJECT! Yay yay! Literally jumping up and down! Happy about Brooklyn Nine Nine too but kind of knew it’d be back.

50. david says:

Love Mindy! The Following is fun, but needs to bump it up to stay interesting…
    Still enjoy Glee and keep Enlisted!!