American Idol: What Should the Top 11 Sing for Movie Soundtrack Night?

american idol top 11 soundtrack nightAmerican Idol tackles another wide-open theme next Wednesday (8/7c on Fox), when the Top 11 tackle “Soundtrack to our Lives” (aka “Any Song I Dig That I Can Find on a Movie Soundtrack”).

In the interest of avoiding a string of 11 consecutive Disney Princess ballads — or worse yet, another reality-singing-competition cover of Whitney Houston’s “I Have Nothing” — I’ve cooked up some (hopefully) cool and unexpected options for Jessica, Sam, Jena, Ben & Co.

RELATED | American Idol Results Recap: Girls, Interrupted

Check out my picks below, then hit the comments and do a little more brainstorming!

Dream Set List for “Sings From the Movies” Night
Alex Preston: Edwyn Collins’ “A Girl Like You” (Empire Records) or The Beatles’ “Hello Goodbye” (Magical Mystery Tour)

Majesty Rose: Soggy Bottom Boys’ “I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow” (O Brother, Where Art Thou?) or The Isley Brothers’ “Fight the Power” (Out of Sight)

Jena Irene: Anastacia and Ben Moody’s “Everything Burns” (Fantastic Four) or Berlin’s “Take My Breath Away” (Top Gun) or Lana del Ray’s “Young and Beautiful” (The Great Gatsby)

Jessica Meuse: Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark’s “If You Leave” (Pretty in Pink) or Aimee Mann’s “You Could Make a Killing” (Cruel Intentions)

M.K. Nobilette: The Cardigans’ “Lovefool” (Romeo + Juliet) or Zero 7’s “In the Waiting Line” (Garden State)

Sam Woolf: Karen O’s “The Moon Song” (Her) or Anna Kendrick’s “Cups (When I’m Gone)” (Pitch Perfect)

Ben Briley: A countrified twist on Roxette’s “It Must Have Been Love” (Pretty Woman) or Carly Simon’s “Nobody Does It Better” (The Spy Who Loved Me)

Malaya Watson: The Del-Vikings’ “Come and Go With Me” (American Graffiti) or Prince’s “I Would Die 4 U” (Purple Rain)

Caleb Johnson: Bette Midler’s “Midnight in Memphis” (The Rose) or Huey Lewis’ version of Joe Cocker’s “Feeling Alright” (Duets)

C.J. Harris: Ryan Bingham’s “The Weary Kind” (Crazy Heart) or The Flamingoes’ “I Only Have Eyes for You” (American Graffiti)

Dexter Roberts: Patrick Swayze’s “She’s Like the Wind” (Dirty Dancing) or Bonnie Raitt’s “Darlin” (Urban Cowboy)

Your turn! Cook up a list of your favorite soundtrack cuts for the Season 13 Top 11 below!

1. Leticia Prado says:

Could someone ever do Portishead’s Glory Box (Sleeping Beauty Soundtrack)?

2. I think one of the WGWGs should sing Sam Tsui’s cover of Let It Go, except not as a mashup.

3. ben says:

I really like this top 11, looking forward to seeing what they pick out. Unfortunately, some of the songs I really want them to sing aren’t in movies (at least as far as I know). I guess if I had to sing on this theme, I’d think of songs I wanted to sing and then I’d google to find out if they were in any movies.

4. Thea says:

I know you’re anti-Disney Princess Michael, but I kind of NEED a just-piano arrangement of Let It Go by Jena. (And by need I mean, “NEED LIKE BREATHING!!1!”) I do like the idea of Alex doing AGLY. Empire Records’ soundtrack is one of my favorites! But I’m going to have to pass on Malaya doing IWD4U. I love it too much to sit through whatever she might do to it lol

5. Karen says:

Would die if Majesty did ‘Man of Constant Sorrow’. Great suggestion, Mr. Slezak. Though, I’m still predicting at least half of these contestants will choose one of the usual soppy ballads from Aerosmith or Bryan Adams. Would personally love hearing Caleb do either ‘We All Die Young’ or ‘Colorful’ from the ‘Rock Star’ soundtrack – right in his vein, but still a bit different from what he’s done the past couple of weeks

• ben says:

I dunno – like Harry I get hung up on people singing words that don’t apply to them ‘I am a man’ is not a good start for Majesty. I’d love to see the song come out though, I just think I’d prefer to see Alex do it – or for that matter, Ben maybe would be best of all.

• syb says:

Anybody who does Against All Odds will be eliminated. Mark my words. ;)

• Mark says:

The elimination should be done at the conclusion of the song. Do not pass go, do not collect $200; straight to the airport. Same with “And I’m Telling You,” as well as “Don’t Want To Miss A Thing.”

• wendie says:

If they do the asteroid song, can’t even bring myself to say it, a gong should sound and they should be dragged from the stage by a hook before they can even finish the first verse!!

• The Beach says:

Oh, I so agree with you about all three of those…maybe just have a trap door open up and they drop out of sight forever.

• DarkDefender says:

Same for Falling Slowly.

• S. says:

They shouldn’t even get a chance to sing the song. Ryan should start the episode by going ‘well, we won’t be having an elimination tomorrow. [Contestant X] selected “Against All Odds” and will not be continuing in the competition.

• Tess says:

Well, if Caleb’s reading any blogs he might be thinking he needs to do a ballad to change things up and we all know that no movie song theme week on Idol rarely passes without a rendition of Don’t Want To Miss A Thing, so if anyone’s going to pull that gem out this year it seems Caleb would be the most likely bet… though I sincerely hope not.

• S. says:

I really hope he doesn’t do that, but at least he’d be in tune if he did. The problem with us getting that this week is that we voted off Emily already. I think Emily would’ve selected “I Don’t Wanna Miss a Thing” and been flat on the high notes. We really missed a chance to hear something godawful this week when she got sent home. I just have a feeling her song choice would’ve been a doozy. She’s got ability, but song choice has wrecked many a talented singer on this show. The fact that she did Ooh La La again after hearing Harry’s take and it came off so ‘kitten trying to be a tiger’ told you she was gonna shoot herself in the foot eventually. If we have to hear “Against All Odds” I think Ben might actually have the right tone for it.

• S. says:

Scratch that. Emily told reporters she’d have done Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Then we’d have compared her negatively to Katherine McPhee no matter what she did pretty much. It’s the right song for her voice, but I just think she needs some more work technically. Kat’s mom was a vocal coach right? She had a bunch of training before she tried to do Idol.

6. Et al says:

They should all just do songs from Grease 2. It’s a campy good time and it compliments their collective talent level.

• Alison says:

Caleb doing “Prowlin’…awoon

• Alison says:

Swoon, duh!

• OhMy says:

:). I actually don’t think any human (including the director) has ever watched all of Grease 2.

• Tina says:

Actually, my sister and I happen to enjoy Grease 2, from beginning to end, thank you…. Yes it’s camp, but then so was the original, and both are still the movie equivalent of ‘comfort food’ – junk food version admittedly, but still ‘comfort’ food.

• OhMy says:

To each his own, but the first one was one thing, but the second . . . (and being bad and camp aren’t the same thing, you know).

7. Chablis says:

I usually hate Slezaks eclectic choices but I’m really liking all of Jena and Sam’s songs

8. Ciarrai says:

Caleb would KILL Fever Dog from Almost Famous.

9. Amie says:

No Bryan Adams. No Aerosmith. No “Against All Odds.” NONE.

• J says:

I couldn’t possibly agree with you more!! Except, perhaps, if someone were to sing a Bryan Adam’s song from “Spirit” just for something different from him (not sure who, Caleb maybe?), but, overall, I agree.

• Thea says:

Everything from that soundtrack is amazing! But for the sake of lively and fun, Get Off Of My Back by any of our three country guys would be really cool.

• ben says:

That really would be against all odds.

10. Leticia Prado says:

Instead of songs from the movies, Idol should have proposed Songs from TV Shows.

11. Sarah says:

Jena NEEDS to do another Lana, her Video Games cover was brilliant

12. Jay says:

I hope “I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing” is banned.

13. Amie says:

I hope someone does “Falling Slowly” and the judges praise it to the skies as a perfect choice and then someone asks Randy if he remembers when Kris Allen sang it and Randy told him it was a bad choice because no one had ever heard of it. Even though it won the Oscar for Best Song and all. And then somebody assigned it to Crystal and Lee as a duet the very next year, like it never happened that Kris did it and Randy told him it was too obscure.

14. ChellemaBelle says:

Ok, I’ve never made a list like this, but after shouting at my TV, here it goes:
    Caleb Johnson: “State of Love and Trust”– Pearl Jam from Singles (we’ll just file this under never going to happen, but a girl can dream)… ok, more realistic, “Live and Let Die”– Wings from Live and Let Die, although I’d love to see the J Lawrence version.
    Majesty Rose: “I’ll Take You There” — General Public from Children of a Lesser God
    Jena: “Endtapes”– The Joy Formidable from Breaking Dawn 1 OR “Dreams” by the Cranberries from Boys on the Side
    CJ Harris: “I’ll Cover You”– from Rent
    Jessica Meuse: Into the Mystic”– Wallflowers version from American Wedding
    Sam Woolf: “Love is Blindness”– Jack White from The Great Gatsby
    Alex Preston: “Mrs. Robinson”– Lemonheads from Wolf of Wall St.
    MK: “This Woman’s Work”– Kate Bush from She’s Having a Baby
    Malaya: “At Last” by Etta James– Rain Man
    Ben Briley: “Stand by Me”– Ben E. King from Standy By Me
    Dexter: “There She Goes”– The La’s from So I Married an Axe Murderer (countrified of course)

15. Miscellaneopolan says:

If we’re lucky, and I think there’s a decent chance we could be, Jessica Meuse will do her version of Into The West, the original song from The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, sung by Annie Lennox. I’m not just suggesting this because I’m a giant dork, although I am. Jessica does a killer cover of it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_2IrAfT0fs

That’s what I’m pulling for.

16. MAB says:

Sam can do “She” by Elvis Costello from Notting Hill

• Alexander Jeffrey Aerni says:

I agree 100%. Elvis Costello just so happens to be my favorite artist of all time, as a matter of fact, and American Idol desperately needs to do some of his songs!

17. Mark says:

A few suggestions:

Caleb – What I’ve Done (LInkin Park) Transformers
    MK – Across the Universe (Fiona Apple version) Pleasantville
    Jena – Bang Bang My Baby Shot Me Down (Nancy Sinatra) Kill Bill
    Majesty – I Melt With You (Nouvelle Vague version) Mr. and Mrs. Smith
    Malaya – The Bird (The Time) Purple Rain
    Jessica – White Rabbit (Emiliana Torrini version) Sucker Punch
    Ben – Hero (Chad Kroeger) Spiderman or Girl You’ll Be A Woman Soon (Urge Overkill version) Pulp Fiction
    Sam – In Dreams (Roy Orbison) Blue Velvet

18. Jeremiah says:

I’d really love to see CJ do “The Weary Kind”. Great song suggestion for him!

19. Larc says:

Don’t know if the contestants will be limited to songs already cleared, but most of those on Slezak’s list aren’t on the cleared list. Jessica, Sam, Ben, Malaya, Caleb and Dexter come up empty. Alex could sing “Hello, Goodbye,” Majesty could do “Fight the Power,” MK could sing “Lovefool” and C. J. could perform “The Weary Kind.” Only Jena’s 2 picks are both available.

• Jeremiah says:

Where can I find the list of songs that have been cleared?

• BenM says:

@Larc – the ‘cleared’ list seems to be a relic of Uncle Nigel (at least, it does so far).

• Julie Anderson says:

Maybe that’s part of the problem, because it seems the band is contributing heavily to the problems. They are too loud, and seem unfamiliar with some arrangements.

20. Patsy says:

NOT Falling Slowly – Kris Allen’s star turn!!!

21. jane says:

Caleb- “Would” -Alice in Chains from “Singles”
    Majesty- “Stay”- Lisa Loeb from “Reality Bites”
    CJ- Tears in Heaven” Clapton from “Rush”
    Sam- “Philadelphia” Neil Young
    Jena-“I Need a Hero” from “Footloose”
    Jessica -“Hazy Shade of Winter” Paul Simon/ the Bangles from “Less Than Zero”
    Alex- “Fare Thee Well” from “Inside Llewyn Davis” (just because I freakin’ love that song!)
    Dexter- “My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys” Willie Nelson- “the Electric Horseman”
    Malaya- “Listen” from Dreamgirls (It at least would be entertaining to see her try to sing it)
    Ben- “The Climb” Miley Cyrus from “Hannah Montana movie”
    Mk- “Falling Slowly” from “Once”

• Josh says:

Well, Malaya has covered “Listen” and “I Have Nothing” on Vine, and both of them were very popular (look it up). Malaya is my favorite this year, and I don’t understand the…”negative” view people have with her.

22. DonB says:

MK – Help (acapella) – Help (Linda Eder version)
    Jena – Let It Go – Frozen (or You Must Love Me – Evita)
    Jessica – Kiss Me – She’s All That
    Malaya – Dancing in the Streets – The Big Chill
    Majesty – Do You Know Where You Are Going To – Mahogany
    Dexter – Steal Away – Muscle Shoals Documentary
    CJ. – Drown in My Own Tears – Ray
    Alex – Knocking on Heaven’s Door – I’m Not There (? – Dylan Movie)
    Sam – Somebody’s Baby – Fast Times at RH
    Caleb – Pin Ball Wizard – Tommy
    Ben – Everything I Do – Robin Hood

23. Sara says:

Sam Woolf: Karen O’s “The Moon Song” (Her) or Anna Kendrick’s “Cups (When I’m Gone)” (Pitch Perfect)

^^Absolutely!!! Both would be great choices

24. Adam Fachry says:

Sam – Vampire Weekend’s “Diane Young” (From “Carrie” (2013))

Alex – Phoenix’s “Too Young” (From “Lost in Translation”)

Jessica – Elliott Smith’s “Miss Misery” (From “Good Will Hunting”)

Ben – Simon & Garfunkel’s “America” (From “Almost Famous”)

Majesty – The Velvet Underground’s “Stephanie Says” (From “The Royal Tenenbaums”)

Jena – The Smiths’ “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out” (From “(500) Days of Summer”)

Malaya – Whitney Houston’s “Exhale (Shoop Shoop)” (From “Waiting to Exhale”)

CJ – Keith Carradine’s “It Don’t Worry Me” (From “Nashville” the film)

Caleb – Spinal Tap’s “Rock and Roll Creation” (From “This Is The Final Stap”)

Dexter – Lari White’s “There Is Power in the Blood” (From “The Apostle”)

MK – Elvis Costello’s “She” (From “Notting Hill”)

• Mark says:

Sam – Diane Young – great choice

• Adam Fachry says:

Thank you. Personally, the song is more fitting for someone like Briston Maroney than Sam. Oh how I wish he was a part of the top 13.

• RealityCheck says:

Theres a Light (Over at the Frankenstein Place) from Rocky Horror Picture Show for Caleb would be beyond awesome! Your post made me think of it :)

• Fern says:

Awesome, fresh choices. I would’ve given America to Majesty, but Stephanie Says works for her. Also Exhale fits Malaya’s personality perfectly.

• Norah says:

Wow, Adam, these are great choices, but they’re not only too hip for Idol, I think (other than Whitney Houston) they’re way too hip for Michael too lol (Patrick Swayze?). (And since I just see Caleb as a (very good) Tenacious D tribute artist there is something esp fun about a parody singing Spinal Tap) Genius!! (And also I would like to download your music library please:))

p.s. Is anyone else missing the hell out of Jason Averett?? Listening to Michael and Melinda is great but I miss the fizz of Jason’s editorial wit.

25. Woodmeister says:

So who is going to pick Skyfall, Over the Rainbow, and/or My Heart Will Go On?

26. amelia says:

Jess has a cover of ‘Your Song’ (from Moulin Rouge soundtrack) on Youtube – I hope she sings that next week, she sounds great.

27. Now that Michael has offered his dream list I will offer my nightmare list:

Alex Preston: “Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow” from the Happy Feet Two soundtrack
    Majesty Rose: “Queen of the Night” from the Bodyguard soundtrack
    Jena Irene: “Gee, Officer Krupke” from the West Side Story soundtrack
    Jessica Muese: “Ben” from the Ben soundtrack
    MK Nobillette: “I Don’t Wanna Miss a Thing” from the Armaggeddon soundtrack
    Sam Woolf: “Polkamon” from the Pokemon 2000 soundtrack
    Ben Briley: “I Believe I Can Fly” from the Space Jam soundtrack
    Malaya: “I Dreamed a Dream” from the Les Mis soundtrack
    Caleb Johnson: “How Do I Live” from the Con Air soundtrack
    CJ Harris: “I Could Fall In Love” from the Selena Soundtrack
    Dexter Roberts: “The Bounce (the Luv)” from the From Justin to Kelly soundtrack

28. Ryan P says:

Malaya = most likely to tackle a Whitney Houston song from ‘The Bodyguard’

29. Emma says:

My ideal would be:
    Majesty: Save Me (Magnolia)
    Ben: Mrs. Robinson (The Graduate)
    Caleb: Live and Let Die (Bond theme)
    Malaya: Cups (Pitch Perfect)
    Jena: Young and Beautiful (The Great Gatsby)
    Jess: Iris (City of Angels)
    Alex: New Slang (Garden State)
    CJ: Knocking on Heaven’s Door (Pat Garrett and Billy the Kidd)
    Dexter: Timing is Everything (Country Strong)
    MK: When Your Mind’s Made Up (Once)
    Sam: Travelin Thru (Transamerica)

• Mark says:

I don’t think a credible version of Live And Let Die could be done in 90 seconds. Too many transitions. Give them 2 1/2 minutes each and it could be great.

• Adam Fachry says:

You got me thinking that Isol should do a “Themes from James Bond films” night.

30. Country J. says:

Too much work for me to think about movie songs, but their list will be extremely limited anyway…………
    The band will only allow maybe 20-25 arrangements to choose from, and some contestants will want the same one, but have to switch. At their young age, they will be unfamiliar with a lot on the list. ……..
    How then, does that help to “define what kind of artist you want to be??”

31. MK-“Kissing YOu” by Des’ree (Romeo and Juliet)
    Jena-“A Thousand Years” by Christina Perri (Twilight: Breaking Dawn)
    Ben-“I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow” by The Soggy Bottom Boys (O Brother Where Art Thou)
    Majesty-“Cups” by Anna Kendrick (Pitch Perfect)
    Malaya-“For You I Will” by Monica (Space Jam)
    Alex-“All I Want is You” by Barry Louis Polisnar (Juno)
    CJ-“Fare Thee Well” by Oscar Isaac and Marcus Mumford (Inside Llewyn Davis)
    Jessica-“The Devil Went Down to Georgia” by The Charlie Daniels Band (Urban Cowboy)
    Sam-“Upside Down” by Jack Johnson (Curious George)
    Caleb-“Long Black Road” by Electric Light Orchestra (American Hustle)
    Dexter-“Simple Man” by Lynyrd Skynyrd (Almost Famous)

32. Karrah says:

“The Weary Kind” is a great idea for CJ. I think of that song every time they have a movie theme. What about “Romeo and Juliet” by Dire Straits (from Empire Records) for Alex? Also “Timing is Everything” by Garrett Hedlund (from Country Strong) for Ben.

33. axiva says:

I can’t wait to find out who is getting conned into performing let it go from frozen

34. Carla says:

I would love Caleb to sing Stay with me baby from the film The Rose

35. Joe says:

They all should have to sing “Against All Odds” to punish us for still watching this dreck this season.

36. Woodmeister says:

I don’t have suggestions for everyone but I do have the following….
    Alex. – Iris (City of Angels)
    CJ. – Rainbow Connection (Muppets)
    MK. – Tom’s Diner (Untamed Heart)
    Dexter – Act Naturally (Blue Collar Movie)

37. Woodmeister says:

And I forgot….
    Malaya – Everything Is Awesome (The Lego Movie)

38. LizzieB says:

I’d love to hear Let Go by Frou Frou (Garden State). Either Sam or Alex could pull it off, maybe even Majesty.

39. Lynn says:

I’m guessing Ben and Jessica will perform yet more hackneyed songs from their set lists and Malaya will be saddled with the Frozen song and Jena will get Against All Odds. One of those two will go home this week because I don’t think they allow more than one under 18 on the tour. I would predict that someone will sing Falling Slowly because AI has bought and paid for the rights and so someone is darn sure going to sing it.Got to get their money’s worth, you know. Or what about something from When Harry Met Sally to give Harry a free promo? Get MK to sing It Had to be You, lol.

• Leticia Prado says:

“I don’t think they allow more than one under 18 on the tour. ”
      Scotty McCreery / Lauren Alaina / Thia Megia on season 10?

• Lynn says:

I thought they had to take a parent or a guardian or have one of the idols “parent” them? Didn’t Melinda have to do that? And that was why they didn’t want to have that many underages on the tour. And I don’t think that either Jena or Malaya is going to be a huge draw on the concert tour, unlike Thia for the concert in the Philippines. AI is much better off keeping the contestants from the south and West rather than two from Michigan.

• MAB says:

Jessica ans Deandre, Season 11.

40. Des says:

If Love Is A Red Dress (Pulp Fiction) — Jess
    Mrs. Robinson (The Graduate) — Alex
    Tuesday’s Gone (Happy Gilmore) — Caleb
    Everybody Wants to Rule the World (Hunger Games Catching Fire) — Jena
    Overload (Dirty Dancing) — CJ
    Paper Bag (Bridesmaids) — Majesty
    Life Is A Highway (Cars) — Dexter
    Love Me Tender (Love Me Tender) — Ben
    Broken (The Time Traveler’s Wife) — Sam
    I Can’t Seem To Make You Mine (The Lake House) — MK
    The Shoop Shoop Song (Mermaids) — Malaya

41. Country J. says:

The interesting battle for survival this week – will be between Jena, Malaya and MK. Comparing the song choices and delivery between those 3, will most likely show whose going home on Thursday.

42. Donald says:

Feelin’ Alight was originally done by Traffic. Both Huey Lewis and Joe Cocker did covers of this song. Both great covers for sure, but not the original.

43. Stormy says:

I’ve revised my list several times. I’m going with:
    Caleb – Katmandu [Mask]
    Alex – Everybody’s Talking [Midnight Cowboy]
    Dex – Blaze of Glory [Young Guns II]
    CJ – Nature Boy [Moulin Rouge]
    Ben – Eastbound & Down [Smokey & The Bandit]
    Sam – Danke Schoen [Ferris B]
    Majesty – The Rose [same]
    MK – Misty [Play Misty For Me]
    Jena – There Are Worse Things [Grease]
    Jess – At Seventeen [Scotland Pa]
    Malaya – Shout [Blues Brothers]

44. Jace says:

If CJ were to do The Weary Kind, i would probably go nuts. He hasnt been doing nearly as well as he could be, and if he wants to avoid going home soon he would need that kind of song. I think he would be excellent doing that one.

45. Meme says:

I think they should sing something no one would expect from them. Make me believe you are a star, that you can sing anything! Make me want to hear you sing something more … please do that this week so I won’t start watching something else on Wednesday and Thursday nights.

46. Mikurotoro92 says:

I think that AI should have a video game music night!!!

47. Ralph Doe says:

I like the idea of “Sing songs ruined by Darren Criss and Lea Michele on Glee” night.

48. Name That Tune says:

So now that you have guessed, here is what they will sing:
    Come Together by The Beatles (Sgt Pepper Lonely Hearts Club Band)
    Sound Of Silence by Simon and Garfunkle (The Graduate)
    Can’t You See by the Marshall Tucker Band (Blow)
    Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd (Sweet Home Alabama)
    Bennie and the Jets by Elton John (27 Dresses)
    Let it Go by Idina Menzel (Frozen)
    Skyfall by Adele (Skyfall)
    To Make You Feel My Love by Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood (Hope Floats)
    Falling Slowly by The Swell (Once)
    Decode by Paramore (Twilight)
    I Am Changing by Jennifer Hudson (Dreamgirls)

Don’t know who is singing what, but you could take a good guess at a couple of them.

49. bob arnold says: