Exclusive

Exclusive: Special Grey's Anatomy Episode Will Take Cristina on a Sliding Doors Journey

GREY'S ANATOMY - ABC's "Grey's Anatomy" stars Sandra Oh as Dr. Cristina Yang. (ABC/Bob D'Amico)Grey’s Anatomy is giving departing castmember Sandra Oh a very special episode before she checks out in May.

Sources confirm to TVLine exclusively that the March 27 outing, titled “Do You Know,” will find Cristina imagining the different routes her life could take via a Sliding Doors concept.

VIDEO | Sandra Oh to Shonda Rhimes: Don’t Kill Off Cristina

An ABC rep confirmed our scoop but declined to provide further details.

Back in August, Oh announced that she was leaving Grey’s after 10 years of playing Cristina Yang. Series creator Shonda Rhimes, meanwhile, promised at the time that Yang would get “the exit she deserves.”

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

Oh’s co-stars, Ellen Pompeo and Patrick Dempsey, recently inked new two-year deals with the ABC hit. No word yet on the future of fellow “Originals” Justin Chambers, Chandra Wilson, James Pickens Jr. and Sara Ramirez, whose contracts are also set to expire at season’s end. (Although Ramirez isn’t technically an original, she’s on the same renegotiation cycle as the others.)

1. Some chick says:

Not sure I will stick with Grey’s after Sandra leaves. She had been the main reason I stuck with the series after George died.

2. Philip says:

Isn’t this exactly what they did in an episode of ER with Neela in their final season? Love Sandra Oh though!!!

3. diane says:

hope we get some Burke…Thought personally he was an ass but loved him as an actor..

• lolita says:

Omgomgomgomgomgomg yeeeeeeees, please!

• KCC says:

Yes, if they don’t bring Burke back to whisk her away in the end, it would be interesting to see a what-if segment where she considers what her life may have been like if she married him.

• 2nephews says:

It’s been confirmed on this site (as well as that other entertainment site that Michael used to work for) that Isaiah Washington will make an appearance on Grey’s this season. I was kind of hoping for an up-to-date Burke showing up but a Sliding Doors Burke will be very interesting also. My guess is that they both went through with the marriage and we get to see what developed.

I think that Burke would have had the same kind of expectations that Owen did- a wife who took care of babies so I’m anxious to see what kind of life Cris would have had with him.

4. Kelly says:

Its time to retire the show

5. Nayna says:

‘Oh’… i’m gonna miss u so. Uncompromising, unwavering and stubborn cristina. And sandra played her brilliantly. Seriously is it any surprise , the show will loose a lot of viewers with her gone. The other characters have become increasingly anniying. Its best cristina is gettin outa there.

6. Nayna says:

Annoying*…oops typo

7. Abe Froman says:

I thought she was gone??

8. Monica says:

I’ll really miss Sandra but will keep watching the show as long as April and Jacksonare around :)

• Will says:

said NO ONE EVER! I can see people being fans of Jackson, sure, but April? Either myself or fans of the character should have their heads examined because I just don’t get it.
      When Sandra Oh leaves I will be finished with Grey’s… it’s unfortunate because I would’ve loved to have seen the series through to the end but with so many originals gone, replaced by weaker newbies, it’s time to discharge from Seattle Grace-Mercy West- Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital.

• Kay says:

I have no idea why I love April, but I really do. She’s such a mess, but has a lot of heart and adds some great (albeit shrill) humor to the show. I can completely see why others dislike her- I really did not care for her for quite awhile after she first joined the show, but she grew on me. You are 100% entitled to your opinion, and no one will try to stop you from leaving, but there are people who enjoy characters aside from the originals.

• Annie says:

Uh, said at least *some* people, frequently. I don’t pretend we’re in the majority but there’s definitely more than one of us. April rubbed me the wrong way initially but starting from “Death and All His Friends” on, she’s become one of my favorites, too.

9. David4 says:

A slow, painful and outrageous death? That seems to be the most common exit.

• B says:

Which deaths have been slow besides Mark? Adele was chronically ill, so that’s realistic. Same with Meredith’s mom. George was gone in an episode. Lexi was gone within 15 minutes. Mark’s was the only one that I can think of otherwise that took more than one episode, but barely more than one at that. This show, a medical show for God’s sake, has only killed off three series regulars in ten years, and all people talk about is how all the death is unrealistic. It’s a primetime soap, people. You’re getting what you signed up for by hitting play on Episode 1.

• Ashbash says:

My God I don’t know what offense the above comment was to you but back away from your keyboard and take a moment to chill. You are way to hopped up over a comment. Anyway Grey’s Anatomy like kills someone off almost every season finale (I think all but maybe 3 seasons) and that’s why people are complaining. Yes only 3 series regulars over 10 seasons but for a hospital between plane crashes, bombs, and hospital shootings these aren’t a realistic portrayal of a hospital. There are better ways to write out characters than killing them that’s what’s annoying with Grey’s.

10. bj says:

She was the reason I stuck with the show after George left too. I wonder if we’ll be lucky enough to get her in a new series next year.

11. Kim says:

Still no contract for Sara yet?

12. LibKat says:

Exit prediction – A bus carrying Christina and Callie will be hit by a crashing plane and pushed into Puget Sound where they will be swamped when a bomb explodes on a ferryboat.

13. Abby says:

YAYYYYY!!! Cannot wait!!
    Sidenote though: Sara Ramirez NEEDS to confirm ASAP. After MerXtina firendship, the only read I watch is Calzona/Callie/Arizona.

14. Andrew Hass says:

I can’t wait to see the episode and what scenarios Christina imagines her life could have been like.Plus i’m thinking this episode could be the set up to how Christina leaves as she begins to reevaluate her life.Also i don’t see the show killing Christina off but maybe leaving the door open for a return one day even if it’s just for a short term stint.

15. Mary says:

Aside from Burke, Addison, Izzie, and Teddy, most series regulars seem to leave the hospital via body bag. I’m hoping Cristina can leave on her own volition so fans can picture a happily ever after for her.

• Will says:

And there was an article a few years back where Shonda was toying with the idea of killing Izzie off, off-screen for “closure”. Seriously? Not sure how Burke or Teddy escaped.. I guess she couldn’t kill *everyone*, and Addison didn’t die because she got spun-off. I feel like she’s the female Ryan Murphy.. creates a good show then runs it into the ground within a few seasons.

16. Fernanda says:

Cristina will win the Harper Avery award and became the new cardio goddess in the whole world. That’s for me is a proper ending of the character, it could be a little sad if she leaves the show without a love interest but hey, this is Cristina Yang, the woman who defends her right that no having children and she always will have love by her family with MerDer and their children.

Maybe Crowen fans could have one more love encounter between both characters before she leaves.

17. cdeno says:

I hate the fact that we don’t know the contract status of 4 cast members. Cause there is a possibility that any/all could also leave. Since we the audience don;t know and I am going to assume since not one ounce of tidbit has come out that the contract negotiations are still on going, which means that if any of the 4 leave they will not get a proper farewell.

And quite frinakly I am sick of the season finales leaving people’s lives in the balance. Think of another way to create drama (cheating and killing off people can’t be the only ways to creat drama).

18. Yang says:

I bet she’s gonna die.

19. Lucy says:

Isn’t this kind of what they did with Meredith a while back, where they had the “what if” episode where Meredith wasn’t dark and twisty? That episode wasn’t… *bad*, but it sure felt like a filler episode.

20. nikita says:

Love Grey’s anatomy hate that yous like to write out the best actors izzie,berk,omalley,now yang why are you letting go of the main characters hate when they change characters would love to see the original cast together quit writing the best out . Thanks

21. FrancoisLg says:

She cant leave!! She’s our person!!! We LOVE YOU SANDRA OH..!!!

22. FrancoisLg says:

She cant leave!! She’s our person!!! If she leaves, my love for Grey’s Anatomy is over!! We LOVE YOU SANDRA OH..!!! Please stay!! Or at least come back after a season or two!!

23. Marisa says:

Very upset about Christina leaving. She is my fav I might have to stop watching. It will never be the same