CBS Pilot Scoop: Emmy Winner Bebe Neuwirth Is Madam Secretary's Chief of Staff

Bebe Neuwirth Madam SecretaryMadam Secretary surrounds herself with good people.

TVLine has learned that two-time Emmy winner Bebe Neuwirth has been cast as Nadine, the chief of staff to Tea Leoni’s Secretary of State on the aforementioned CBS drama pilot.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2014: Your Complete Guide to This Fall’s (Possible) New Shows and Who’s In Them

Created by Barbara Hall (Homeland), Madam Secretary follows the personal and professional life of a maverick female Secretary of State, Elizabeth McGill, as she drives international diplomacy, wrangles office politics and balances a complex family life.

Previously, Tim Daly (Private Practice) was cast as Elizabeth’s husband, while Geoffrey Arend (Body of Proof) will play her speechwriter.

In addition to her Emmy-winning run on Cheers, Neuwirth’s TV credits include Law & Order: Trial By Jury, Bored to Death, The Good Wife and Blue Bloods.

1. Steven says:

I’m in! I’ve been a huge fan since Cheers.

2. Mark says:

I like her and Tim Daley. I don’t care for Tea Leoni though. If only they could get Geena Davis to try her hand at this type of role again.

3. april-ann says:

She and Tea Leoni seem like they’d have great onscreen chemistry. And we’ve waited too long to see Dr. Lilith Sternin Crane again. TOO LONG. I’m looking forward to this one (although with these two, I think I’d rather it was a comedy!). Didn’t Barbara Hall also create Judging Amy? That show was very high quality, insanely good.

4. Sophie says:

I love her and Tea- what a great team! This is shaping up to be a great show. I really hope it gets picked up.

5. Anna says:

This keeps getting better and better! Hope the writing is smart.

6. Tom says:

Good. She was annoying on Blue Bloods.

7. Shar says:

I can’t help thinking that perhaps the roles should be reversed, Ms. Neuwirth is a more dynamic performer.

8. Doug H says:

Barbara Hall and Amy Brennaman created JA which is on Christian network UP every afternoon. A show way ahead of its time in many of the issues it covered which are still problems today… Anything with Hall’s name on it generally is high quality

9. Trudy Absheer Rangel says:

I’m hoping (with very little possibility of success I’m afraid) that super talented Bebe gets to try to balance this excellent role on Madame Secretary AND continue in some way to remain on Blue Bloods. Have long appreciated her talent and it certainly grew on Blue Bloods. Would love to see a blossoming of the respect/friendship/hint of loveinterest/relationship with Frank.
    He needs it (as if Tom Sellick needed any help!) and her character balances well with his. Please….and thank you!!!!