American Idol's Kristen O'Connor on Covering Adele and Kelly Clarkson, Not Playing Guitar, Surviving Group Rounds With Sam Woolf

Kristen O’Connor probably didn’t want to be the first American Idol finalist eliminated from Season 13, but on the bright side, the Florida-based nurse tech has the honor of being the first subject of a TVLine Google Hangout.

Tune in from 2:10-2:40ET for Reality Check host Michael Slezak’s chat with Kristen, where they’ll cover (among other things) her memorable “Good Morning Heartache” audition, her guitar-playing moment in Hollywood Week, and her battle with a pesky in-ear monitor during Top 13 performance night.

And if you don’t get to watch the Q&A live, fret not. You can watch a replay below starting around 3pm ET!

1. james says:

Kristen is lovely. So sad she didn’t get to stick around longer and really show off her pipes.

• justsaying says:

She thought that being in nursing school would be a good story for when she’s on American Idol. yawn. She sounds really deep. Lots of personality. And I mean that as in she doesn’t seem like it at all. A lot of these kids don’t seem to understand that people in the industry tend to actually have larger than life personalities for a reason. It’s the difference between being a dynamic artist with a point of view and a milksop who wins pageants. I know. I did pageants. You have to be so “likeable” an “moral” that all you come off as is bland. People that watch these shows always talk about how people seem “lovely” and “nice young people”. This is great when you’re playing for your family, or your church, or for a pageant, or a school talent show. This does not make it in pop/rock.Unless you just want to be a christian rock artist (and how great is it that we don’t have any of those this year!), have a friggin point of view and personality. That’s what sells albums. Not being a perfectly nice, boring girl who noone will remember a year from now.

2. Danny says:

Love the interview. Ya may want to face future people ya interview though. That came off as a bit odd with ya both looking into the camera. This isn’t a major gripe, more like a suggestion. Overall, thanks for your blog, these interviews, the board, etc.

• Max says:

I preferred the structure used for the Season 10, 11, and 12 interviews, but it is an extremely small complaint. I really enjoyed the interview, as always.

• Jeremiah says:

I’m glad that I wasn’t the only person who was bothered by this. I love Slezak’s interviews, and it’s fine when there’s a split-screen, like in Reality Check. But when they’re both just sitting there, next to each other, and not really looking at each other, the whole thing feels really off.

• Jojo says:

I agree. The format seemed really awkward.

• KV says:

Yes, I agree. I could see Michael being off camera, and then letting the contestant look at the camera since it is “live” event.

• JayNC says:

Agree, I was going to point this out and saw that I was not alone in thinking it is an awkward format.

3. ben says:

Does anyone know if Idol are releasing studio versions of the songs sung on the show this year? I’ve been waiting, I really want a couple of last weeks…

• Jeremiah says:

I know. I’ve been wanting to download Jessica’s “The Crow and the Butterfly” all week. Someone actually asked her about this on Twitter, and she seemed to imply that she hadn’t gotten a chance to record anything yet. So it seems unlikely that studio versions will be released this year. I really hope that’s not the case though.

• J. May says:

Not sure, but I think the studio versions are only for the top ten. There have been songs in the past that I wanted a studio version of, but the top ten hadn’t been picked yet (Crystal Bowersox’s Long As I Can See The Light, in particular).

• Ben says:

In seasons 10 and 11, it went all the way down to 13. Maybe it was top 10 before that. It would be a shame, for me, to miss out on a lot of those. Matthew Richard’s approach isn’t bad, but their live performances are always going to be weaker, affected by noise, and far shorter. I hope they start it this week.

• darcy the slutty twin says:

Seasons 7 & 9 – Top 24 to 16 performances were released on iTunes as live recordings; Beginning Top 12, studio recordings were released
        Season 8 – Top 36 performances were released as live recordings; Top 13 onwards were studio versions
        Season 10, 11 & 12 – Beginning Top 13, all performances were released as studio versions.

• darcy the slutty twin says:

Long As I Can See the Light (American Idol Performance) by Crystal Bowersox was released on itunes as a live recording. I bought it.

4. Lourdes says:

Sounds like the AI contestants were put through the ringer before they were supposed to perform. It’s no wonder that they come off so nervous during their performances. I think if they would have given the contestants some more time before going live then Kristen would have done much better. I think she has a beautiful voice and was obviously nervous during the live shows. Side note: it seems a little strange that they’re not looking at each other during this interview.

5. Joe says:

Really oddly presented. Think Slezak needs to be off camera in the future or a split screen type thing be used. I watched a minute or two and stopped it.

6. Kristi says:

Perhaps they could be seated catacornered to each other so they can both be in the same room and still look at each other.

7. Kes says:

I just want Slezak to go back to the edited style of the interviews. There was something more intimate and personal about the old style that made them a joy to watch. What is with this google hangout mess? A shame.

• Jeremiah says:

I guess that the “Google hangout” format is being used so that viewers can send in questions – which is a great idea! But it’s not worth the poor presentation. Maybe instead, Slezak could just ask for people to post questions in the comment section for each week’s results recap. I feel that this would be a better method anyway, since it would allow some of us shyer fans to ask questions as well.

8. Rodrigo says:

Hope Tvline brings back the old format, with the edited interview. That new format is just odd and “amateur”…

9. Lauren says:

I did enjoy the interview but I like the other style better. For one, the video quality was way better. And please, look at each other!

10. MamaLis says:

LMAO! That was a weird, funny interview! If I hadn’t been following Slezak for a LONG time, I would think he was this nervous little man trying to interview!!! Too funny!
    MUCH prefer the older format!!

~

Other than that, Kristen is lovely, indeed.

In fact, I hope these kids realize that the people that follow this blog have two sides: 1 mid-Idol and 1 post-Idol. During the show we’re fierce, opinionated “Voters.” But as soon as someone is voted off – in most cases – the “fierceness” subsides and we’re all about wishing everyone a great future!

11. Rick says:

What an awkward way to do an interview. Go back to the previous format.

12. Hi there to every one, it’s actually a nice for me to go
    to see this web site, it contains useful Information.

13. Teena says:

Sorry, I don’t like this style. The film quality is bad and the interview comes off as less relatable. There isn’t much going on, so I wind up nit picking her lack of movement, the pushing up of glasses, and wondering if Michael got a hair cut. Finally, I just left the page and listened to the audio. If this is what we have come to, I would just as soon listen to a podcast.