Ratings: Ellen's Oscars Encore Delivers a 14-Year High in Audience, Kimmel's After-Show Surges

2014 Oscars RatingsEllen DeGeneres‘ second turn as host of the Academy Awards delivered — you see, I chose a photo of the pizza delivery guy — with the kudoscast posting its largest total audience since 2000’s Billy Crystal-fronted outing.

RELATED | Oscars 2014: Grade Ellen DeGeneres’ Opening Monologue!

What’s more, the show’s 43.7 million viewers (per final numbers from Nielsen) marks the most-watched entertainment telecast since Friends‘ May 2004 finale.

In the coveted 18-49 demo, this year’s Oscars is up a tenth from Seth McFarlane’s 2013 turn, scoring a four-year high 13.1 rating. And interestingly, the show hit a nine-year high with the Kids 2-11 demo, though many of those poor rugrats probably didn’t get to stay up to hear Adele Dazim Idina Menzel belt “Let it Go.”

PHOTOS | Oscars 2014: ‘Adele Dazim’ and More of the Worst and Best Moments

Capping ABC’s night, Jimmy Kimmel’s annual after-show drew 7 million total viewers, with 2.4 mil landing in the 18-49 sweet spot — up some 20 percent year-over-year.

1. Drew says:

Amazing show! Ellen really made last night special, and I’m beyond ecstatic with the winners. Lupita gave such a beautiful speech. And no one will ever forget that THE best selfie of all time was taken!

2. tara17 says:

Very disappointed by the Oscars this year. I felt like I was attending a corporate meeting about film achievement. Not Ellen’s fault, she did great as host, but there should have been more songs, skits, clips and “wow” moments. Felt like it was produced by someone who never saw an Oscar telecast.

3. Rebecca says:

Ellen was awesome. She just makes me smile. Jordan Catalano, err Jared Leto, had speech of the night for me.

4. Britt says:

No Amazing Race ratings?

5. linda says:

I don’t understand how it’s the most watched entertainment telecast since friends season finale. I’m sure network tv has had better viewership since friends season finale sans football. How do they get this information

• Kelly says:

The average network show gets about 10 million viewers. NCIS, the show with the most viewers has about 18 million. Nothing has even really come close to 40 million viewers in the last 10 years.

• DJ says:

I don’t think sports qualifies as “entertainment” for the sake of this argument.

6. swag says:

I was so disappointed in Ellen’s “joke” about Liza Minelli, it was in poor taste and Liza did NOT look amused.

7. Armani12! says:

This is the first time in ages I didn’t watch the whole show. I liked Ellen but I felt it had too much unnecesary bits. Is “Dorothy” from The Wizard of Oz supposed to be a hero?

8. Amie says:

I’m sorry to hear the ratings were up because that might mean they ask her back. I thought she did a terrible job. Unfunny, slow, with some painfully lame bits like the pizza thing. I liked the selfie. But honestly, everything else was baaaad.

9. Rebecca says:

I really thought Ellen did an amazing job of hosting! I loved who won however it was a little long for my taste! And that’s saying something since I look forward to these awards for a lib time in advance! A little to much filler this year. But Ellen kicked butt!!!

10. Daniel says:

Ellen did a wonderful job hosting the Academy Awards. I watched the whole show and i Loved every minute of it, especially her opening monolog. Well done Ellen!!!! Please Come back Next year

• MC says:

I thought Ellen did a fine job, in her low key way. This was a great year to put the focus on the terrific movies and performances from 2013. A me-first flamboyant host would have been all wrong. Two of the top movies featured heavy subject matter, slavery and Aids. Ellen had just the right amount of lighthearted comedy in her presentation.

11. Yuri says:

Love Ellen but her timing was off last night and she messed up quite a few of the jokes. The audience seemed to wait for her punchline so they could laugh because hey, it’s Ellen and everyone loves Ellen. She’s one of the most likeable hosts for sure and have good ideas but the delivery was somewhat lacking…