The Walking Dead Recap: Unhappy Hour

The Walking Dead Season 4 RecapIn this week’s episode of The Walking Dead, Beth becomes so stressed out by living on the run, sleeping in car trunks and getting the silent treatment from Daryl that she sets off in search of not just a drink but her first-ever drink. (Honey, it’s the zompacalypse — I know Hershel was an alcoholic, but what took you so long?) Of course, what she finds is much more than a buzz. So pour yourself a stiff one and keep reading. I’ll tell you all about it…

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

THE ODD COUPLE | Since Daryl goes almost 10 minutes of “Still” without saying a word — that’s overnight and then some on screen —  you can’t really blame Beth for being frustrated with her traveling companion. He’s so stoic, even after all that they’ve been through, even after all of the losses that they’ve suffered… He just sits by their campfire and eats his “snake jerky” with the enviable detachment of a walker. And she freakin’ can’t take it. “Do you feel ANYTHING?” she hollers.

SWINGERS | Determined to get her drink on, Beth is thrilled when she and Daryl happen upon a country club. (“Golfers like to booze it up, right?”) Unfortunately, she’s no sooner discovered a bottle of wine than she’s forced to use it as a weapon against a walker in a polo shirt and plaid pants. (Note: may not literally be a polo shirt and plaid pants.) After that, she discovers that the only liquor still left in the joint is peach schnapps and, like anyone would if faced with the prospect of a dirty glassful of schnapps, cries. And, as cranky as Daryl is, he “ain’t gonna have [her] first drink be no damn peach schnapps.” So he smashes the bottle, and off they go…

PHOTOS | Deathwatch: 24 Characters Who (Probably) Won’t Make It Out of 2014 Alive

“SHOTS” FIRED | Heading back to a shack that he discovered months earlier with Michonne — a depressing “home” that he says resembles the one in which he grew up — Daryl finds a stash of moonshine and pours Beth a cup of the, erm, good stuff. Which is, as you’d expect, horrible. But the “second round’s better,” she notes. Alas, a few slugs and a game of “I never” later, and Daryl’s pissed in every sense of the word, giving Beth a rough crossbow lesson with a live (well, semi-live) walker for a target and just generally raging against her. To her credit, though, she doesn’t run from the fight. “I know you look at me, and you just see another dead girl,” she yells. “I’m not Michonne. I’m not Carol. I’m not Maggie… but I made it!”

LIVE AND BURN | Their two-actor play continuing, Daryl — veins a-poppin’ — shouts at Beth that they’re never going to see Rick or Maggie or any of them again. And, at last, out it comes. When the Governor attacked, “maybe I could have done something,” he says, breaking down and allowing her to hug him from behind while he sobs. That night, still quietly soused, Daryl talks for the first time, really, about his existence before the end of the world. (He just went wherever Merle did, wandering from brawl to brawl, high to high.) Beth, in turn, forces him to reconsider his impression that she’s a happy drunk by revealing her shattered dream for a quiet death for her father and her certainty that she hasn’t changed enough to survive. “You ain’t a happy drunk at all,” he decides. To round out the hour, they (wastefully!) pour moonshine all over the shack and use a wad of cash that Daryl lifted from the country club to set it on fire. (Note: not with them in it. That would be almost as crazy as wasting the last moonshine on earth!)

Okay, your turn. What did you think of the episode? Were you afraid — or hoping — Daryl and Beth would kiss? Hit the comments!

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Recaps

1. alistaircrane says:

Disappointing episode. Do the producers not realize most fans want to see Daryl with CAROL, not Beth?

• Lea says:

No!! I love this episode because of the backstory on Daryl! And the tension between Daryl and Beth is good too. Yes good, not great. It could be better if he took a bit more interest in her. Beth being her inquisitive self would lean on him to teach and protect her. That in turn could lead to her coming on to him and their relationship begins. Then shockingly ends with one of them being eaten, preferably Beth… I’ve mapped the rest of this season out in my head already. Age is just a number in the zombie apocalypse!

• alistaircrane says:

No, Daryl and Carol are the ones who belong together. The chemistry between them is undeniable.

• amd says:

I’m not even sure why Carol and Darryl were friends, she’s so weak and pitiful. Even when she was trying to be a bad ass her character just came off as boring, mumsy and beige. Most people definitely don’t want a Carol Darryl hook up, it would be like watching him bang his mum. And yes I know they are close in age and the actor who plays Carol is quite attractive, but her personality ruins that idea. Beth is too young, and frankly the character’s attempt at wide eyed innocence is also a bit sickening. We need a new female for Darryl, someone with a bit of gumption who’s not so young as for it to be bordering on creepy. Maybe the girl Glenn went off with, the one who didn’t fire any shots when the Governor attacked, she might turn out to be a reasonable match.

• Robinski says:

Pretty sure she is batting for the other team.

• peanutle33 says:

??? Seriously??? That is a major insult to MMB and the show. ??? Are you certain? Because that’s not what the overall WD polls AND Shipping polls declare.. 83% want Daryl with Carol. A whopping 13% or fewer want him with either Beth or some newer chick. I also am a Caryl Shipper. And have been logically, since S2. Despite the ludicrous ‘Bethyl’ crap TPTB tossed at us during S4, The votes remain on Caryl.

• Kayt05 says:

Obviously your not keeping up, polls before still wanted Carol and Daryl but after still it shifted majorly in favor on Daryl and Beth by a large majority, check out youtube, twitter ect ect. All over media’s with walking dead everyone is cheering for Beth and daryl and very small number are still for Carol. Especially since Kirkman has pretty much said Carol is slowly losing her humanity. So she is on a very similar path that as in the comic, especially considering Tyrese and Carol has a romantic relationship in the comic that was significant.

• Scabbers says:

Where are you getting your info? The polls are in favor of Daryl with Beth.

• Fawn says:

Beth and Daryl together would be a storyline the ” Dead” could do so much with…There were definitely moments where you could sense the sexual tension between them….Beth was going out of her way to show Daryl she was a big girl now..Taking on walkers by herself,wanting to try alcohol for the first time, and maybe, partnering up with a little older fella isn’t to far out of the realm of possibility …They would make a great couple…time will tell..

• alistaircrane says:

Wrong. Daryl belongs with Carol. They are the ones with chemistry and the bigger fanbase.

• Chelsea says:

Yeah, I sensed the sexual tension between the two.

• alistaircrane says:

I’m not sure what you were watching. Daryl only has chemistry with Carol. Beth belongs with Carl.

• Relaax says:

I just want daryl to be happy. He had a abusive past n deserves to be happy…whether its with michonne carol beth or sasha.

• Kayt05 says:

It would be disgusting if they had a relationship, Norman Reedus even said that he is so confused by the Carl and Beth thing, Beth is an adult while Carl is a child. Beth is 28 in real life, it would be sick to see her have a romantic performance with a child who would be around 16ish in real life.

• guest says:

Very much so. Everyone saw it – especially the weird guy shrieking about Carol all the time :D

• peanutlee33 says:

Sexual tension between Daryl n Beth? You’re kidding right? If you were watching the same eps I was, Daryl was merely Tolerating Beth’s company until they’d found that funeral home. Only then did he begin to warm up to her, and start treating her like a friend or sister. There was NO romance at all during those eps. Most of the time Daryl was pushing her to just keep up with him while they were on the run. Oh yea…. intensive sexual drive indeed! Sheesh

• Kayt05 says:

Well you did watch alone right? God forbid any of my family members looked at me like Daryl did Beth, that would be sick. You can tell. Plus I think Emily let it slip that Daryl was into Beth b/c in her interview she said ” Beth hasn’t realized that Daryl has feeling for her that goes past friendship yet”

Reedus when asked after the season 4 trailer came out when asked if Beth had a Crush on Daryl he said ” Oh I hope so, crossing fingers, she is cute”

Reedus also said up until season for he did not have a romantic interest but he may get one in season 4, there was going to be a lot of alone time with someone and he joked it off as being glenn.

• kimberly says:

Sexual tension? Really? The girl is, what? 16??? Daryl and Carol make a much better match than a grown man and a kid.

• Kate says:

Not even a tiny bit disappointing to me. I would be very surprised if Daryl ends up with Beth – but you know, in real life, people hook up all the time and they don’t care what you think, either.

• Alan says:

no, because only annoying shippers like you care about that. i was happy to see lots of character development for both of them, beth especially. this was a really great episode.

• El Wilfred says:

Right, because the only thing that matters in the show is who ends up in love with who

Wana see that? read fanfiction

• guest says:

Nah, we’ll just keep watching the show because there’s plenty of romantic hook ups in it. As you would expect, since that’s what the majority of people want to watch, and the show is only there to entertain its viewers.

• Toby says:

I would love Beth and Daryl to get together. I hope it happens and sooner than later. Carol is to old for Daryl and weird. Daryl needs someone to lighten him up and Beth could do that.

• guest says:

She’s the right age for him. But she’s certainly boring, weird and without any sex appeal.

• peanutlee33 says:

Carol is old, weird, boring, and no sex appeal eh. Y’all are apparently yearlings. I can see where your youthful opinion lays. However, as I am a mature adult, Carol is a WOMAN. She is the Queen of the show.. strong, courageous, graceful, gorgeous, and steadfast. And has leap-frogged to the top between Rick and Daryl. Carol is NOT ‘too old’ for Daryl. They are roughly the same age. It’s Daryl’s temperament that deludes his being. And young Beth is but a teenager. Zero logical comparison. And It’s your youth that call us 30+ “old people” which we are not.

2. Jessa says:

That was about the most boring hour of television I’ve ever watched. How was this supposed to propel the plot forward? 4 episodes left and THIS is what we get?

• Room says:

You obviously forgot about the episode focused only on the governor.

• alistaircrane says:

There were actually TWO episodes all about that loser. Ugh!

• Jessa says:

You’re right! I stand corrected. ;)

• jcscott125 says:

The episodes focusing on the Governor were a LOT more interesting than this. I have a hard time understanding how people can defend this episode. There was no substance.

• alistaircrane says:

The only ones defending it are those who think Daryl and Beth should be a couple (when it’s obvious he belongs with Carol). Sad.

• Kate says:

Nope – I liked it because the story depends on the characters. The more I learn about them, the better the story.

• the girl says:

I don’t think Daryl and Beth should be a couple, but I loved this hour. It was moving, and I appreciated learning more about Daryl and seeing him through the eyes of someone like Beth, who has her own judgments and ideas about who he is based on little interaction and mostly distant observation. It was also nice to see Beth attempting to define herself as a woman. It made me ask how old she really is, and it made me think she might have a place in this post-apocalyptic world.

• Miller says:

I hope the show doesn’t start bending towards the fans’ wishes. Guess who wrote the comics and show? Not you.

Leave the romanticism to the professionals, if you don’t like it then stop watching.

• Teag says:

Apparently character development is bad and boring, everyone.

• alistaircrane says:

If it involves Daryl and that skanky Beth, it sure is. That shrew needs to keep her hands off Carol’s man!

• Lea says:

Carol dug her self a grave. Now she has to live in it. I encourage the relationship abrewing between darky and Beth!

• Guest says:

How is virgin Beth a skank? Shippers are some of the worst people in the world.

• the girl says:

Right??? There was nothing about Beth last night that even remotely came across like she was trying to get with Daryl. She just wanted to be respected.

• Meredith says:

Oh, for God’s sake. This is a TV show. Be a little more childish, please.

• Kate says:

Beth – skanky? Really – you are kind of an idiot.

• Magali says:

And now sweet, young, innocent and virgin Beth is a skank. WOW calm down shipper.

• Emma says:

Haha i’m beginning to love you and your comments alistaircrane! I agree about Beth ;-) I was terrified they would kiss, yuk. In the Bin.

• Scabbers says:

Daryl is by no means Carols man. He may not be Beth’s either for that matter but he sure as hell has never looked at Carol the way he looks at Beth. If he’s going to have a romantic relationship with someone, it’s has to be with Beth.

• peanutlee33 says:

Why does Daryl “have to be with Beth”? And YES Daryl HAS Looked at Carol the same as you imply he has ‘looked’ at Beth.

Re-watch seasons 2 & 3 .. and then re-watch 4A before Carol is banished by Rick. Daryl is secretly in love with gorgeous Carol. His behavior is dead obvious. He just isn’t public about it. And NO he did not ‘look at Beth’ with eyes of Romance during 4B. He was grateful for her encouraging attitude during his funk.. But he was not ‘falling in love’ with the teenage girl. Get real.

• Scabbers says:

Sorry, not buying it. I’ve rewatched all seasons and there is nothing romantic between Carol and Daryl. Her advances to him have been shot down, so I’m not sure how much more evidence you need. Daryl sees Carol as a friend and he admires her but nothing more than that. I think you need to rewatch “alone” a man doesn’t look at you like that when he’s thankful for an “encouraging attitude”. It’s much deeper than that. As I said before he may not end up with a Beth but I feel confident he will never be anything but friends with Carol.

• Kayt05 says:

This was the first time in the series I have ever seen Daryl actually instigate physical contact when it was not absolutely necessary. I actually think that is why the majority of people are so rooting for the daryl and Beth thing to happen, it really brought out a Daryl we have never seen. Let me stare at you while you play the piano and sing, let me give you a piggy back ride, let carry you like a princess. Let me sit really close to you at the table. Let me get my high school on and stumble on my words when I speak to you. Almost slashing someone b/c they were talking bad about her.

• Scabbers says:

Exactly Kay. Daryl has done things he has never done before and opened up more than I have ever seen him. When they were alone sitting at that table, I think he was so wrapped up in the moment with Beth, he let his guard down allowing the attack that separated the two. I don’t think that was carless writing but very insightful regarding his feelings for Beth. She’s has brought something out in Daryl that no other character has managed to do, including the “Gorgeous Carol.”

I’m really pulling for a relationship between these two. I think Daryl deserves it.

3. omarid513 says:

I honestly would have liked this episode a lot more if Beth had more of a spine. Yes, Beth is young, but kids like Carl are much younger, have seen their share of tragedy and can take care of themselves. Maybe Beth’s just still naïve about the world she lives in, but she can’t honestly think that Daryl is going to just turn on a dime and be as conversational as she is after everything that’s happened. She got on his case about being a chaperone, but just before that, she sarcastically thanks him for helping with a walker she eventually managed to kill. I dunno. Beth’s characterization just irks me.

• alistaircrane says:

Beth just needs to go. Now all the Caryl fans hate her.

• Anon says:

Don’t try to take ownership of the whole fandom. I’ve been a Caryl fan for years and I very much enjoyed Beth’s development and the interaction between her and Daryl. Great storytelling. I felt last night was Walking Dead at it’s best.

• alistaircrane says:

Sorry, but you’re a minority. Most Caryl fans don’t think the way you do, thankfully!

• Anon says:

You own your own opinion only. You are not some officially elected president of the Caryl fandom, and you don’t speak for all it’s member or have any real knowledge of every single one of Caryl Fans feelings.

You are sounding obsessed and unreasonable. Good luck in life. Peace out.

• alistaircrane says:

Sorry Anon, but my basic feelings are the same basic feelings as ALL Caryl fans, so I can indeed speak on behalf of all of us, just as any other Caryl fan can speak on my behalf. That’s how fandom works. We Caryl shippers belong to the same club.

• wrstlgirl says:

I agree!!!!

4. Room says:

I found this episode more entertaining than the one that focused on Carl.

• Relaax says:

Hey I loved the carl episodes. Carl is way more interesting than beth n hes a bettet shot that kid is gonna be a complete bad arse. Team carrrrl. This episode would of been better if daryl was with someone else. I like beth but this episode just felt off.

5. liz says:

Booooring

• Isaac Hunt says:

Agreed, I have no problem with character development, but they can at least try and make it entertaining. A shame as the past few episodes have been a big improvement.

6. ivy says:

a good episode, better than last weeks anyway
    but i think daryl should have been paired with another character
    or by himself again, he can carry an episode better alone

7. JP says:

There are a lot of people who will say ribs was boring (just because if had little zombies, not a lot of action) but this to me was a great episode. It gave us information into who and what made Daryl who he is and why he is. Yeah, Beth has some weak moments, but the actress who
    Plays her, who has mostly been secondary has been bringing it this season.. I really enjoy these episodes that focus on characters and the human psyche while dealing with the end of the world.. Top notch walking dead.

• Lyn12 says:

Yes … I’m surprised that with Daryl’s many fans, there isn’t more appreciation for an episode that gives us his backstory. I had some quibbles (why not grab a few more items of brand-new clothing from the store?!?) but liked the way this episode touched on the key question of how different people respond to a catastrophic event that changes everything. Daryl transitions from an aimless redneck to someone who’s trusted and competent. Beth manages to survive while keeping the essence of hope she got from her father Hershel. Makes thoughtful viewers think again about how THEY would respond.

• Phil Holmes says:

Well said Lyn12. It’s a great aspect of this show that it makes you think in those terms. What would Daryl’s life have been if not for the zombie apocalypse? What kind of man would he have chosen to be? The world as it is has given him a chance to be the kind of person he probably always wanted to be in his heart. Daryl is a great character and he’s brought to life beautifully by the actor who portrays him.

8. Derek Johnson says:

I really liked this episode & thought it was one of the best over the last two or three years. It was great to see Daryl open up. I actually was kind of glad they didn’t have Beth and Daryl kiss, but I wouldn’t be surprised or unhappy if they took it there. I’m a little worried that they might kill Beth now, because she’s opened up and I want her to stay on the show. I know people find her annoying but Beth is really the only optimistic character on the show and they need some of that.

• alistaircrane says:

Don’t even joke. The only woman Daryl should be kissing is Carol.

• Troy S says:

You really are a Carol Mark,,I loved this episode with Beth. As a man of Daryl’s vintage I know who I’d rather be spending time with,,and it ain’t Carol.

• alistaircrane says:

Luckily you’re not Daryl. He’s not a pervert like you. Daryl has a strong emotional connection and love for Carol that is incomparable. Caryl belongs together.

• buildcastles says:

When Beth lost three shirts in one episode it was kind of obvious what the writers were after. Drinking, drunk, in a compromising situation with a much older man. They managed to dirty up one of the last nice people around.

• guest says:

Yeah, imagine making Beth act like a real person, the way women really do act. Wanting sex and drinking, just like most women in the real world. How dare they?

• wrstlgirl says:

I’m wondering if Beth might be the Andrea of the comics. Won’t say anymore in case you don’t know what I’m talking about :-)

• omar says:

I’m hoping for this to happened, she’s my favorite one!

• Ken says:

Pretty sure they have already made CAROL into the comic book Andrea

• wrstlgirl says:

I thought of that too. I do see her possibly ending up with Rick eventually.

• alistaircrane says:

LMAO! Everyone knows Rick belongs with Michonne and Daryl belongs with Carol.

• Relaax says:

Wow never thought about rick n carol. She was close to him before he banished her. This thing got so many shipper options but knowing tptb maggie n glenn will be the only ones in long standing relationships.

• Kayt05 says:

Impossible Carol is following her own path just like in the Comic but at a slower pace. Just last week Kirkman said that Carol is losing her humanity. Andrea would have never killed Karen and David never, no one in the group would have besides Carol.

• Anon says:

I was thinking the same thing too!!

• jcscott125 says:

Beth isn’t an optimist, and she acts younger than Carl. When she’s not crying, she’s whining about Daryls attitude. She’s a brat.

• Derek Johnson says:

I think it’s a good thing that she called Daryl on his pessimism & moodiness. I hate it when the show gets too dark & characters just brood & brood. I hope Beth stays on the show & calls people on their wallowing.

9. Morganic says:

I was TERRIFIED they were gonna kiss. #Caryl to the end!

• alistaircrane says:

HELL YEAH!!! I feel like the producers are going out of their way to keep Daryl and Carol apart this season. It’s like they want to destroy their popularity. Sad.

• the girl says:

This season both Daryl and Carol have been challenged with complex stories and smart character development that has evolved who they are as survivors in this world. I would hate it if the writers wrote them as people who were only living for each other, we already have Maggie and Glenn for that. Besides, Daryl and Carol are independent spirits who haven’t actually formed a romantic relationship on any level yet. While they may have a mutual appreciation for one another, their hot and heavy romance exists in you guys heads only. Not for nothing, I would have CRINGED if Daryl had kissed Beth, or vice versa, because it would have been gross. But to accuse the writers of trying to destroy the popularity of Daryl and/or Carol by putting their characters in the forefront? Really?

• Alan says:

dont question shipper logic, it makes no sense, they will say whatever it takes to justify the completely ridiculous points they are making.

10. Abby says:

A show with so many fans that doesn’t follow a weekly formula cannot possibly please everyone every week. I happen to like character progression episodes, and kind of saw Beth and Daryl coming since the hug in the first episode, after Zach’s death. Makes me wonder what the writers have in mind for Carol, but I assume that this is Beth’s final season, anyway – if they do end up together, it might let her death give Daryl some serious fire for revenge.

• alistaircrane says:

The producers would be stupid to go forward with Daryl and Beth when they know Daryl and Carol are far more popular.

• Chris says:

Nobody cares about your stupid ship. Go hit an iceberg, already!

• alistaircrane says:

Wrong. The Caryl relationship has the most passionate and devoted fanbase in The Walking Dead universe.

• miranpanda says:

Just because one pairing might happen doesn’t mean the other won’t. In all honesty we know Beth isn’t going to be around forever. So even if Beth and Daryl get together, Beth would die and provide a lot of drama/character development for Daryl, and then he’s free to move on to Carol. Not every relationship is endgame.

• Alan says:

god i hate shippers like this, suck the fun out of it for everyone else why dont you.

• Sorry, as a huge fan of the show that chooses to let the writers decide what’s best for the characters, knowing only they are aware of what’s to come, I do not and cannot support your need to Stan all over this show AND the TVLine comment forums every week. You’re entitled to your opinion, but you are not the ultimate authority.

11. FormerFan says:

This season is so disappointing, to say the least. There isn’t enough story, hence the sloooowww pace. Last epi wasted all this time with showing a repeat of the bonding between Michonne and Carl – which we had already seen. And now this? Walking about looking for booze and Beth nagging on and on while she stumbles through the forest?

30+ Minutes of this episode were a total waste of time and showed us nothing new whatsoever. Beth is annoying and boring, I guess that’s the new thing I learned.Now I want her dead and gone. We also knew that Daryl had it hard as a kid and that his Dad was abusive and Merle saved his ass and took a lot of beatings for him. We basically knew that the bros were drifters, but I didn’t mind him saying hat. Poor Talking Dead guy, tough to fake enthusiams even for hardcore fans.

• jcscott125 says:

Yeah, basically. I can’t believe people are defending this episode. Nothing happened–no plot, no character development. Waste of 1/8th of your current block.

12. JSG5 says:

Honestly, I can’t believe how bad this episode was. Yikes.

• jcscott125 says:

Agreed.

• Relaax says:

Its a hour from your life u can never get back. I would of appreciated this episode more in the front half but not with only four episodes left. I wouldnt be surprised if we dont find out about terminus until season five.

13. dj says:

Great episode! Good to see further development of the Daryl and Beth characters. I look forward to seeing more of these two characters. I don’t think these two characters will get together, but they know that they can count on each other, and that is what is important during the zombie apocalypse.

• wrstlgirl says:

Completely agree. IDK why peeps have to freak out and think they are getting together romantically. They are friends and have each others backs. This is how you survive. It’s not a romance novel.

• alistaircrane says:

It’s not a romance novel? Tell that to Glenn and Maggie.

• wrstlgirl says:

As the writers, actors and even the characters have mentioned many times, Glenn and Maggie’s relationship is unique in the ZA and is certainly not the main focus of what the show is supposed to be. So No, it’s not a romance novel.

• alistaircrane says:

People, including Daryl and Carol, are allowed to find love in the zombie apocalypse. When the world has ended, love is the only thing that will keep you going.

• the girl says:

for the record, Daryl is not motivated by love. Not even a little bit. And yet he excels in this zombie apocalypse.

14. omar says:

This is the first episode where I found Daryl interesting
    This quote make the episode so good: “I know you look at me, and you just see another dead girl, I’m not Michonne. I’m not Carol. I’m not Maggie… but I made it!”. Love Beth. She’s my favorite one!
    About the promo for next week… Fog and zombies!? So excited!

• ken1313 says:

I was having a conversation about Daryl with a girl I work with last week…..and I told her that Daryl was the person most affected by Sophia’s death (other than Carol) and that Daryl has been reluctant to get close to anyone since then. I was so happy to see Beth say that almost word for word. Daryl was feeling the same guilt over not being able to help Herschel that he felt about Sophia’s death. He has been spiraling since the mid season finale. These people are Daryl’s family…..and he is close to them in a way he never was with his own real family. Both Reedus and Kinney’s acting was phenomenal last night. I know people hate these solo episodes, but this one was needed……and it was done perfectly.

15. wrstlgirl says:

I knew Daryl and Beth on the run together would be awesome!! They play together so well :-) :-) :-) :-)

• alistaircrane says:

No they don’t. Daryl plays best with Carol.

• wrstlgirl says:

Your really making a fool of yourself. Stop trying to bully everyone into your obsession with Daryl and Carol. For the record I like Carol also but I’m not gonna cry about it if the writers choose to go another direction. Beth and Daryl are good for each other which became very clear in this episode. Will they end up as a couple, who knows, but if they do then great!

• alistaircrane says:

Daryl and Carol are meant to be. They have a large fanbase, and they are the ones who are right for each other, not that little skank Beth. I am sad that you’ve chosen to be a minority. Everyone can see their chemistry, so it’s sad that you’re trying to deny it. You know, wrstlgirl, without fail, you always comment on my posts and come off as a total b***h. I feel sorry for you. Why do you stalk me?

• wrstlgirl says:

Excuse me but I said right in my post that I also liked Carol so I’m not trying to deny anything. I just prefer to have an open mind and not live in a box. As far as me stalking you. You commented on MY post/s and I responded back, so just who exactly is stalking who here? You think I’m a b*tch because I don’t agree with your Caryl obsession. So stop posting comments to me and we won’t have to interact at all. Okie Dokie.

• Meredith says:

Just ignore this person. Who doesn’t know not to feed the trolls?

• wrstlgirl says:

Wellllll, Normally I do ignore them but when they respond to me directly and accuse me of things that are not true I will defend myself. But I see that you also responded to them so I could say the same. But that aside, he/she is not worth even talking about.

• Meredith says:

I wasn’t responding to you, personally. Reading the thread, it’s clear this person isn’t interested in having a rational discussion. We’d be wise not to engage in any way, myself certainly included.

• There is a point when opinion becomes just you spamming the comments for no good reason. Youre literally using your ship of Daryl and Carol to harass people. For the love of decency, stop.

• bajama says:

Please just stfu or get a life.

• Scabbers says:

They do! He has chemistry with Beth that’s just not there with Carol. Carol is a mentor and friend to a Daryl, nothing more.

16. chente says:

what was the first word?

17. chente says:

for the sweepstakes?

18. Shoop says:

So boring , did the writers give up on the show ? Seriously !

19. Bosco says:

Just boring. Obviously they have no budget, but is this is really weak storytelling. They are ruining the show. Bring back Frank Darabont or someone who is a real filmmaker. It will be worth the cost.

20. James D says:

wow this back half of the season has been pretty subpar in my opinion with a few exceptions none of these episodes have done anything to propel the plot Abraham and Co notwithstanding. I really hope they can right the ship before too long its getting hard to watch IMO. with that said I do love Norman Reedus he really caried this hour.

21. azu says:

Haha haha. This is hilarious!! Daryl standalone episode? Sounds boring. I loved the Carl one. This one, I’m not sure I’m gonna like. I’ve never seen Daryl to be particularly interesting. And no. He can’t carry the show. They made the first mistake of the season in my opinion. Caryl boring ship!!

• alistaircrane says:

There’s nothing boring about Caryl. Their chemistry sizzles. They have a dynamic unlike any other two characters on this show. Love them!

22. Lea says:

I love this episode because

23. Bethyl says:

Why do you ppl go on and on about that disgusting old woman Carol?No one wants to see her and Daryl make out its f….n gross…White hair and wrinkely face,yuk.
    On the other hand I would love to see Daryl end up with Beth since they look great together.she’s young and pure and he’s a manly man quiet type,ya baby

• Lea says:

I second this!

• fun says:

Darryl the Pedo is a catchy nickname ;)

• Anon says:

That’s unkind. Remember there is a real person behind the character you are referring to. Plus, why do you want to spend time bashing people’s looks on the internet in the first place? That’s not talking smart about TV.

It’s been great seeing Carol and Daryl’s relationship, but I also very much enjoyed his new equation with Beth.

• alistaircrane says:

Daryl belongs with Carol and only Carol. It’s like the producers are purposely trying to tear these two (and their fans) down.

• Kayt05 says:

Well looking at the current situation of fans, they would break a lot more hearts if they don’t allow Beth and Daryl to be together at this point.

• jcscott125 says:

Wow, what a compelling argument…obviously Beth and Daryl belong together because Beth is hot. What an immature Hollywood concept of relationships….Carol and Daryl have a lot more in common, Beth is a brat and not on Daryls level. I actually like that the show is willing to align Daryl with a mature woman who doesn’t look, dress, or act like a sex symbol. The majority of individuals in the real world actually don’t look like sex symbols, in case you haven’t noticed. Doesn’t mean they don’t have or deserve sex.

• alistaircrane says:

Agreed! You said it so well. Daryl and Carol are soulmates.

• Anon says:

The way Daryl looks at Beth you can tell that they are the REAL soulmates. That’s why Beth was trying to get Daryl to open up, because she cares so, so passionately about him. They are meant for each other and will be the relationship foundation of the group when it reunites. Carol needs to stay away from Daryl when/if they meet again.

• Scabbers says:

That was a great comment Bethyl.

24. Lea says:

25. Et al says:

Enough with these filler “character development” episodes where the characters don’t develop and the plot does not advance.

26. Pat says:

What the hell you guys? Yeah, the first half was lacking, but everything at the cabin gave major depth to two of the most one dimensional characters in the series so far. It was the best character introspection since “Clear”. I loved it.

27. Bert Marshall says:

I enjoyed the slow-mo of the episode. Yes, we didn’t learn a lot. Yes, Beth is ready to have some fun. Yes, under those circumstances, Daryl would/should/could deflower her. The only romance that would be would be in Beth’s head, not Daryl’s – but who is to say it wouldn’t be the opposite?

I for one don’t need a constant barrage of action scenes to think the show is successful. In the reality of a time like that, it would great periods where nothing happened and then hot and fast only to fall off into boring. These actors character’s are in it for the long haul, so why rush to kill them off. it provides a cheap thrill at best.

I hated to see the Governor go. there’s been few characters as interesting as he was and now, the big question. who will the next protagonist be?

28. Teeny Bikini says:

I am fine with character development. It would be nice if the writers could figure out how to integrate character develop. into an actual plot line. It’s not like it hasn’t been done before. Why does the group need to splintered and separated to do this? Why does all forward momentum have to grind to a halt when the writers decide to finally decide to define a character? I feel like when you watch this show you have to be content with “character development” *or* “an actual plot” because god forbid they happen *at the same time.* The other issue with the small groups is that you really find out who needs more acting classes. Some of the actors are just not skilled enough *yet* to carry a whole ep.

• Tim says:

yeah, Emily needs to brush up on her skills—cringe inducing dramatic scene there near the end

• Anon says:

I thought she was brilliant, restrained and yet almost buoyed by new outlook on how the world works in the zombie apocalypse.

• guest says:

Yeah, she’s pretty terrible. Watching a woman in her late 20s trying to play a naive teenager is just cringe inducing, add to that the fact that she’s a very average actor and it’s all a bit hard to take. Luckily Norman Reedus acts her off the screen every time and saves the day.

29. ken1313 says:

30. Frankieboy says:

I, for one, LOVED this episode. Beth and Darryl are both in my top 5 fave characters and I find the pairing of these two really interesting cause they couldn’t be any more different from each other.

Emily Kinney is always a pleasure to watch and the character development of Beth has been amazing so far. And also Norman showed us that Daryl isn’t a one trick pony, he really went there with his emotions and the anger.

I kinda dislike that a lot of TWD viewers find these kind of episodes boring cause no one got eaten or there wasn’t enough scary moments. For an actor episodes like this are a joy, I bet that Emily and Norman really appreciated this. Developing a character, giving them some backstory, showing more emotions and making them an well-rounded character is always a plus in my eyes.

So yes, episodes like ‘Still’ are important to get the audience involved with the characters. The next episode looks intense, my guess is that Sascha or Ben get bitten… and I wouldn’t mind… why? Cause they didn’t had enough character development in my eyes. )See what I did there :P)

• alistaircrane says:

Seeing these two together is torture. Daryl should be paired with the woman he loves: Carol.

• MLO says:

@alistaircrane. OMG. You are such an A$$!! Who says Daryl is in love with Carol? They’ve shared a few scenes together where they showed a fondness for each other, which very easily translates into friendship. Carol comes off as much older than Daryl – looks much older too. There’s no sexual chemistry there at all. But, that said, why don’t we let the writer’s tell us the story and whoever Daryl ends up with… well so be it. Quit obsessing you little freak!

• alistaircrane says:

Carol and Daryl have sexual chemistry. It’s been there since Season 2 and has only grown stronger. Also not sure what age has to do with anyone. Daryl and Carol are clearly contemporaries. There’s a perverseness to his scenes with Beth. I feel bad that you don’t recognize that Carol and Daryl belong together. You’ve missed an important part of the show.

• Alan says:

just please stop, you are embarrassing yourself, making shippers look bad, and will cause people to actively hate that relationship if you dont stop trying to bully every single person who comments in any way you dont like.

• Anon says:

Has anyone else lol’d reading these weirdo posts about Carol and Daryl? It must be a joke….right??

• guest says:

I feel bad that you appear to have missed the fact that these are fictional characters and your opinion is just that, an opinion. Bizarre.

• Scabbers says:

Thank you MLO. I couldn’t have said it better myself.

• Kayt05 says:

In fact Reedus said after filming season for Daryl has never had a romantic feelings in the show but he may get some in season 4.

31. ann says:

Beth has never tasted alcohol before. She starts with moonshine — and it barely affects her at all? What a woman!

• wrstlgirl says:

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. That must have been some pretty crappy moonshine the way she was drinking it down and didn’t pass out, hahahaha.

32. Lance M says:

My wife gave up half way through this episode and went to bed. We were huge fans, but the current season is just not resonating with us.

I’m hoping someone else comes up with an edgier more interesting zombie TV show. This one is failing.

33. cathie McDowell says:

After what Carol did I do not think Darryl’s going to want a relationship with her. Beth is not a skank! Beth is a sweet all be it scared young woman trying to be strong and optimistic. Beth and Darryl would be a great couple. I think Rick will end up with Michonne because of the way she cares for Carl and the time they spend together. I may be wrong but I see Carol with Tyresse. He will never know what she did and they are together with the three kids trying to survive. This can push them together. Just my theories

• Chelsea says:

I agree with the other couples, but I don’t think Carol could be with Tyresse, it would be pretty weird for her, knowing she killed his girlfriend…that’s just my thought though.

• alistaircrane says:

Carol’s only option is Daryl. It’s the only one that makes sense based on their feelings, chemistry and fanbase.

• the girl says:

I don’t think writers decide how a show will go because of what fans want. Actually what I mean to say is, I hope writers don’t decide how a show will go because of what fans want.

• Nina says:

In the comic book Carol was actually with Tyrese. So I’m curious to see if the show follows the same path. Initially I was under the impression that Daryl was kind of their show’s way of replacing his character so I was really glad that Tyrese came in later. I’m interested to see where this goes. I like the odd pairings of the characters on the run. There are sides to Daryl that Beth brings out that others don’t. Just like with Michonne and Carl we got to see sides of their characters we haven’t before.

• alistaircrane says:

Carol didn’t kill anyone. It’s so obvious she’s covering for Lizzie. Daryl belongs with Carol. They have a strong relationship and sizzling chemistry.

34. Phillip Blake says:

I thought this was a terrific episode considering it only had 2 cast members. The writing in the second half of the show was superb, and although I havent been fond of Beth in the past, I am now! Thanks TWD writers for giving that girl some much needed “character”. And puhleeze… don’t even think about hooking the two of them up, they make a much better brother and sister type. Plus everyone knows that’s Carol’s man! zing!

• GeekWithFangirlSkills says:

Thank you, Phillip Blake, for being able to express your Carylship without belittling Beth or the actress that plays her. And a huge THANK YOU for not trying to speak for all Caryl fans. Like you, I see a sibling dynamic for Beth and Daryl and a hopeful-romantic dynamic for Carol and Daryl. That said, if the writers choose to take the dynamics elsewhere, I will go along for the ride. Goodness knows there is plenty of fic out there for my ship of choice, and while I haven’t sought it out, I’d bet there’s fic for the Beth and Daryl sibling dynamic as well.

• alistaircrane says:

Agreed—Daryl belongs with Carol. Carol would wipe the floor with Beth if that nasty little girl went after Daryl.

35. Moo says:

LOVED the Daryl/Beth relationship development. Thought it was a brilliant episode…but that might be because of my love for Norman Reedus. When Daryl cries, we all cry. I’d like to nominate Norman Reedus for TVLine Performer of the Week. Poor grumpy redneck.

• alistaircrane says:

Sad—you’ve missed an important element of the show: the Daryl and Carol love story. I feel sorry for you.

• Alan says:

hah love story, thats hilarious. the two of them barely share any scenes with each other and the show is way too busy telling actual stories for those two to be an “important element of the show”.

36. Troy S says:

alistaircrane for stalker /pathetic poster of the year !

37. sharyvary says:

Season 4 sucks. It feels like the authors have lost the plot. I watched it for its entertainment value but that is gone…it started as an adventure now its turned into psychological drama…boring boring boring

38. jcscott125 says:

Worst episode of the series probably. Sorry, but the truth hurts. You could skip it and miss nothing. Considering there are only 8 episodes per cluster, I pretty much feel cheated that this was 13% of the current run. Not killing Beth was a mistake. The only reason Walking Dead will get away with this episode is because so many people love Daryl and are happy whenever he gets screen time, but we don’t learn anything about him we didnt already know. At best, the episode is fluff. At worst, it raises concerns about the direction of the series. They really struck out this time. Better luck next week….

39. Chelsea says:

I liked this episode, only for Daryl to come out of that tough shell of his. We got to see the past Daryl, and Beth growing from a scared girl, to someone who’s no afraid. I won’t lie though, I was on the edge of my seat to see them kiss…yikes, right? Seeing Daryl go from redneck asshole to a sensitive guy, that I think is what made the episode really good. Like I said I liked it! But…they could’ve done better.

• alistaircrane says:

Thankfully, Beth and Daryl did not kiss. Fortunately the producers realize Daryl and Carol belong together and have respect for the #Caryl fans.

• Silva says:

Também gostei carol e darly e só amizade pelo fato dele ter comovido com ela quando perdeu sua filha ai ficou a ligação ,eles nem tao juntos ele nem foi atras dela agora beth ta fazendo bem para ele e alem dela ser mais bonita e nova ! adorei

40. Grace says:

Look, it doesn’t have to be either of their OTP. But both of them do kind of need an emotional and physical relationship to move forward with their “new” lives. A relationship between the two would make them both stronger and better for it. Consider it a stage.
    And Carol? Carol killed living people. Maybe they’re destined to be together, but Carol’s got to pay for what she’s done in terms of the morality of the story.
    Plus, it’s more interesting for Carol and Tyrese to get together, no? That’s the only way he could forgive her, if he found out what she’d done after they’d been lovers?
    It’s kind of refreshing to have a show where not every pairing has to be a One True Pairing! People learn from each other, people grow from relationships, people heal. And these people have a lot of healing to do.

• alistaircrane says:

Carol didn’t kill anyone. She’s covering for Lizzie. The idea of Carol and Tyreese is sickening. You’re overlooking her deep connection with Daryl, not to mention their sizzling-hot chemistry. The #Caryl fanbase is strong and passionate, and the producers realize this fact.

41. Mikael says:

The show can’t be Resident Evil in every episode. I like action as much anyone, but the character development is more important. They felt secure at the prison for a while and now they’re out in the wild again and separated. We need to see how that’s affected them and how they deal with it. The group has never been this separated before. And I’m really not looking for romance and love triangles in a show about the zombie apocalypse, but I think Daryl and Beth do have chemistry. Whether it’s a brother/sister thing or romantic, they work well together. I think pairing them together was genious because they’re so different but they find a common ground. It wouldn’t have been as interesting if Daryl had gone off with someone like Rick or Michonne.

• Troy S says:

Just to get to this post before alistaircrane..Beth/Daryl forever !!!

• wrstlgirl says:

Well said Mikael.

• Frankie707 says:

I have to say that if I’d ever been a Carol/Daryl shipper (which admittedly, and thankfully I never was) alistaircrane would have put me off and I’d begin actively campaigning for any other ship for both of them. Also I really do not like when someone states they speak for the whole or even the majority of any fandom. We each speak for ourselves, and I don’t want anyone acting as though they speak for me.

42. Rinacres says:

Daryl is so much older than Beth – she is only 18 or so, and he is over 30 – that was discussed on a Talking Dead at some point. He is more like a brother to her. It was good to see a bit of vulnerability on his side.

43. Kelly says:

This episode really impressed me. I think the chemistry between Daryl and Beth is incredible; they are so extremely opposite, in their upbringings, attitudes and thinking, and I think this contributes a lot towards their interaction. Opposites tend work well together, right?

And for all those Caryl shippers – I was a Caryl shipper as well. However, I think Carol is no longer in a place that would work well with Daryl. Daryl often becomes so dark and withdrawn that he needs someone like Beth, who will force him to face the problem while instilling a positive (if naive) sense of hope. In the same vein, Darly is responsible and grounds Beth when she gets more flighty. Again, I was a Caryl shipper, but now I am all for Beth and Daryl (Beryl?). Besides, wouldn’t that be an interesting plot twist later on? How would Carol react to know that Daryl is shacking up with a younger lady?

44. R.O.B. says:

There were two things y’all were afraid were going to happen in this episode. I am so glad they didn’t.

45. Babybop says:

I love Daryl… But admittedly I was a little bored by the episode.

46. pol says:

I loved that episode! A bit different from all the others and the psychological point of view really deepens the whole series. TWD needs this kind of the episodes but not all the time of course. Also, I’m really curious how this duo of Daryl and Beth is going to cope with oncoming problems. Can’t wait for the next episode!

47. Esther Lee says:

All right, to those who are on the sinking ship of Daryl and Carol hooking up here’s one for you. You all like the character of Daryl and Norman Reedus who plays him. Reedus seems to have made his choice already… I wonder if that will sway the producers’ choice who he will end up with… seems like it so far. When asked if Norman Reedus thought there was a future for Daryl and Beth, his response = “oh god, I hope. She’s cute. Fingers crossed”. Lets also take into account that Norman Reedus who is 44 is dating a 20 year old model. Ok and if you aren’t convinced that he’s just not digging the relationship with Carol, he has posted on his twitter that Daryl and Michonne would have awesome babies together. He does not share your sentiment and honestly would most likely reject the offer to support your fan club if it conflicts with his desire to not be with Carol. Sorry, sad but true. Good luck though maybe you’ll luck out. Carol and Daryle do have chemistry but if you have had any experience with relationships in general, chemistry exists in platonic relationships, sometimes even stronger then romantic ones. However if you’re young this may be new to you.

(oh and please if you choose to reply to it, something more educated then “you’re crazy not to see the sizzling romance between daryl and carol” please. I am not 14, hopefully you aren’t either so please don’t respond with the one line answer that you have frequently used.

Ok, now onto real posting. The character development was solid, they built the episode well. It was boring in the beginning but delivered by the end. We may have all realized that Daryl had a hard childhood, a reason to be loyal to Merle and has grown since then. However, it was an important step for Daryl to not only realize it but admit it, out loud to another individual. The inner turmoil of who he is going to be while in pain was handled well by Daryl, his choice to trust in an untrustworthy world showed (and with someone who wouldn’t have been his first choice for a friend) that he is realizing that human nature surviving is more than hunting and trapping with a crossbow, it is the formation of relationships and the soul.

• Mena says:

Finally, someone who sees that the chemistry between daryl and carol isn’t sexual, it’d be creept if they hooked up, same with beth, i would rather him be with noone than either of them.

48. MTB says:

I am not sure how an episode like this propels this “season” anywhere? The writers have to know that people are getting bored. They need to get things moving.

49. Angelle says:

Eww Daryl and Carol are you kidding me that women is stupid I wih they would kill her off. She isn’t even pretty Daryl should totally get with Beth it would be the cutest couple on the show

50. Silva says:

olha eu achei otimo Darly e Carol teve a oportunidade de ficar juntos e nao ficou, beth ta se tornando um mulher forte e ta fazendo bem a Darly alem dela ser mais nova e mais bonita que a carol! ficarei feliz com os dosi juntos!