Red-Hot First Look: The Flash, in Costume!

Look, quickly!

With production on The Flash starting up next week, Warner Bros. TV has released a first look of Barry Allen’s alter ego, in costume.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2014: Your Complete Guide to This Fall’s (Possible) New Shows and Who’s In Them

In the Arrow spin-off pilot, scientist Barry Allen (played by Grant Gustin) is given the power of super speed, through a freak accident — thus transforming him into the fastest man alive aka The Flash.

Check it out, then read on for more:
The Flash Costume The CWThe costume for The Flash was designed by three-time Academy Award winner Colleen Atwood (Alice in Wonderland, Memoirs of a Geisha and Chicago,) who also fashioned the costume for Arrow‘s titular vigilante. Atwood’s other film credits include Snow White and the Huntsman, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street and Sleepy Hollow.

In addition to Gustin, the cast for The Flash includes Jesse L. Martin (Law & Order), Tom Cavanagh (Ed), Danielle Panabaker (Shark), Rick Cosnett (Vampire Diaries), Candice Patton (The Game) and Broadway’s Carlos Valdes.

What is your “fast” impression of The Flash’s headshot?

1. sarah says:

So excited for this! I hope it get picked up for fall.

2. bj says:

I’m really looking forward to this one too.

3. bbussey says:

Awesome.

4. Cesar88 says:

I don’t know, one of the things I most like about Arrow is how all the heroes and villains wear stylish but normal and practical clothes. This seems a little silly.

• Dee says:

Flash is gonna be a separate show for Arrow.

• Alan says:

its a spin off to arrow set in the same universe, the shows are going to be closely linked.

• I thought one of the show runners already addressed this somewhat when Barry showed up during the mid-season finale. From what I remember, it was said that the character had more of a fascination with the vigilante and was kind of a fanboy in some respects. With that in mind, I think it would make sense for him to have a flashier (no pun intended) costume. He just seems like he would have more fun with the whole superhero thing, based on his personality.

I also think that saying both shows will be closely connected is a bit of a stretch. While they’ll obviously have crossovers from time to time and are set in the same universe, both shows will still exist on their own terms. The Vampire Diaries and The Originals is a good example when it comes to this: There have been crossovers, but they are two very different shows. I’m not really worried, the producers have a very good sense of what the fans connect with and what doesn’t work… especially now that they’ve worked out all the kinks from season one of Arrow.

• Alan says:

im not saying the show shouldnt go all out with the costume, im just saying that the shows are closer linked than the comment i replied to was saying.

• Alan says:

what would you rather he just had a hoodie? that would the wrong thing to do because he wouldnt be anything like the comics. the costume in arrow actually looks a lot like the comic book one so it makes sense to follow along with that idea.

• wordsmith says:

I agree it’s much more “costumey” than the Arrow characters, but they’ve already established that Barry is kind of a superhero geek, so it makes sense.

• Delirious says:

I understand how they wanted to go a bit more “fantasy” with the Flash, considering his power relies solely on non-realism, far from what Arrow can hold on to. But tbh, they went too far with the “redesigning”. The red, leather-ish soft helmet looks nice, but using the logo over his ears looks dumb.

All I can think of is, “THUNDER EARS”.

5. Joey Padron says:

Costume looks great. Excited to see the show! I know The CW will pickup the show.

6. Nicole says:

SO awesome. Grant Gustin’s Barry Allen is adorable and I can’t wait to see him get his hero on.

7. Sheldon W. says:

Looks great. Now let’s hope the pilot goes to series.

• SonOfCoul says:

It’s almost as sure a thing as there is among this year’s potential pilots. The network is already heavily invested. It’s going to get picked up.

8. Alan says:

looks good, although i wish it was a little brighter, maybe thats just the lighting theyve used here but the red needs to be more vivid.

9. SuzieQ says:

He looks like a teenager not an adult. Kind of a turn off. Costume seems okay but it makes him look like a kid.

10. Henry P says:

I’m a bit worried that his head will look a bit too much dome-y. Hoping there are some details on the head to counter that. But so far so good!

11. Lysh says:

I feel like Grant’s Barry Allen is dorky enough to want this full blown superhero costume (whereas Arrow is kind of more realistic) and will pull it off. It’s going to be awesome.

12. Love it! There’s no way The CW won’t pick up The Flash for fall… it’s a no brainer!

13. Bill says:

Can’t wait for this show. Yeah I know it hasn’t been picked up yet but is there really any doubt?

14. Ugh, I’d prefer the ear bolts be higher, at about 2/3 or 3/4 of the ear.

15. Jooshua says:

Super excited for this show.. but I am not digging that chin strap.

16. julio says:

Oh my god. I can’t wait for this show to premiere. I am almost positive this show will be picked and if not shame on the cw. lol. But yeah can’t wait to see the flash in full costume.

17. James D says:

that looks so sweet great job. looking forward to this show.

18. Liam says:

I’m excited that original Flash actor, John Wesley Shipp is going to be in the cast!!

19. Sofia says:

He’s awesooooooome! Congrats! Can he please be back for 2 seconds to be Sebastian in Glee and get together with Blaine?????

20. Claire says:

Looking forward to it hopefully — wishing them luck!

21. Sparky says:

Greg Berlanti and his team are developing the show???? If it is I can’t imagine that it won’t get picked up. Felicity can make a trip every so often to visit him…too cute!!!

• Fernanda says:

Greg Berlanti also worked with John Wesley Shipp in Dawson’s Creek and all the crew was so exciting when The Flash was casted to be Dawson’s Father (said by Kevin Williamson in an audio commentary). I could imagine conversations between them talking about the 90’s Flash show, and now we have the new version.

22. Nancy Chandler says:

All I care about is seeing John Wesley Shipp again.

23. Elaine Byrne says:

Looks cool. Looking forward to the show.

24. Scott says:

I can’t remember how the comics dealt with the costume not coming off from the speed / heat. It would be really funny if he ended up naked every time he ran too fast, although I guess that wouldn’t be possible on US television. Anyway the actor would probably keep tripping himself up….

• Alan says:

basically in dc comics anyone who runs at superspeed accesses this thing called the speed force, in practice its basically an excuse to explain away anything questionable or strange related to their powers.

25. Mare says:

Thank you! I’m really excited for this one! And Casting on it so far sounds awesome!!

26. Greg says:

DC comics have had a manic-depressive history with their characters. But, who knows? It took Marvel more than one trip to the cellar with character movies/television series before finding a combination that has worked well enough to leave people actually waiting to see the sequels….even when those sequels consisted of total remakes of movies that were critically received by those who really matter, the fanboys!

27. Lee says:

I love what I’ve seen so far of the costume but I don’t really see how it’s going to be folded up and fit into a ring…

28. Julia says: