Sneak Peek: Sexy Salem Conjures Up 'Impossible' Romance and 'Primal Feelings'

The latest look at WGN America’s upcoming original series Salem offers up a steamy Romeo & Juliet-esque courtship between Shane West’s war vet John Alden and Janet Montgomery’s spellbinding witch Mary Sibley.

The lovers “are in an impossible place, because Mary’s the villain and John’s the hero,” executive producer Brannon Braga reveals in the following behind-the-scenes featurette.

RELATED | ‘Darkly Sexual’ Salem Is ‘Wuthering Heights Meets The Exorcist

And while John’s been away at battle, Mary has embraced her dark side. “She’s really grown to enjoy her power,” shares Montgomery. She has also developed a very unusual (and sensual) relationship with her servant Tituba (played by Revenge‘s Ashley Madekwe).

“Horror, somehow, is sexy. I think when your life is on the line, primal feelings come up,” says Seth Gabel (Fringe), whose aristocrat, anti-witch preacher is very familiar with primal sex.

Salem premieres April 20 at 10/9c.

1. Et al says:

Does anyone get this channel?

• Ana says:

yeah. I have time warner and i get it. it’s not particularly popular though so it might be hard to find.

• Et al says:

They’re a pretty big provider so that’s good. I guess I’ll just have to view it online if possible.

• Girl in MD says:

I have FIOS and I get the channel too I think its in the 550’s
          Really looking forward to this series I liked Witches of East End and this looks like it could be as dark and interesting as that show is.

• Ray says:

I have Fios Prime and I don’t receive this channel in HD, only SD. The HD version is available in the Extreme package.

2. Pati says:

The show looks really good, kinda scary. The cast is pretty good I love Shane West and Ashley M, but never heard of this channel before, not sure if I have it. Do they have any other series?

3. DiverKlein says:

Michael with another woman so soon? sheesh. Remember back in the day when WGN was one of the big networks? Didn’t they have Frazier Crane or someone come on each week with awesome movies?

Might check it out if it has more witchy stuff and less love drama crap.

4. Gerald says:

I hope this is playing on a network in Canada. It looks fantastic.

5. Ray says:

Looks promising, but then again the showrunner is Brannon Bragga who’s terrible reputation proceeds him.

6. JenInChicago says:

Still don’t know why the honchos here had to stop broadcasting the 9:00 news from Chicago. That’s a lot of folks’ lifeline to what’s going on back home.

7. Mikael says:

I’m excited for this show. I don’t get WGN so I’ll have to watch it on demand at a relative’s house or something.