Sneak Peek: Sexy Salem Conjures Up 'Impossible' Romance and 'Primal Feelings'

Get More: Video

The latest look at WGN America’s upcoming original series Salem offers up a steamy Romeo & Juliet-esque courtship between Shane West’s war vet John Alden and Janet Montgomery’s spellbinding witch Mary Sibley.

The lovers “are in an impossible place, because Mary’s the villain and John’s the hero,” executive producer Brannon Braga reveals in the following behind-the-scenes featurette.

RELATED | ‘Darkly Sexual’ Salem Is ‘Wuthering Heights Meets The Exorcist

And while John’s been away at battle, Mary has embraced her dark side. “She’s really grown to enjoy her power,” shares Montgomery. She has also developed a very unusual (and sensual) relationship with her servant Tituba (played by Revenge‘s Ashley Madekwe).

“Horror, somehow, is sexy. I think when your life is on the line, primal feelings come up,” says Seth Gabel (Fringe), whose aristocrat, anti-witch preacher is very familiar with primal sex.

Salem premieres April 20 at 10/9c.

Comments (14)

• Does anyone get this channel?

Comment by Et al – February 27, 2014 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yeah. I have time warner and i get it. it’s not particularly popular though so it might be hard to find.

Comment by Ana – February 27, 2014 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They’re a pretty big provider so that’s good. I guess I’ll just have to view it online if possible.

Comment by Et al – February 27, 2014 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I have FIOS and I get the channel too I think its in the 550′s
          Really looking forward to this series I liked Witches of East End and this looks like it could be as dark and interesting as that show is.

Comment by Girl in MD – February 27, 2014 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I have Fios Prime and I don’t receive this channel in HD, only SD. The HD version is available in the Extreme package.

Comment by Ray – February 27, 2014 02:18 PM PDT
  • The show looks really good, kinda scary. The cast is pretty good I love Shane West and Ashley M, but never heard of this channel before, not sure if I have it. Do they have any other series?

Comment by Pati – February 27, 2014 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is WGN America’s first original series.

Comment by Vlada Gelman – February 27, 2014 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • More series are on the way……

Comment by Interested Viewer – February 27, 2014 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael with another woman so soon? sheesh. Remember back in the day when WGN was one of the big networks? Didn’t they have Frazier Crane or someone come on each week with awesome movies?

Might check it out if it has more witchy stuff and less love drama crap.

Comment by DiverKlein – February 27, 2014 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope this is playing on a network in Canada. It looks fantastic.

Comment by Gerald – February 27, 2014 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks promising, but then again the showrunner is Brannon Bragga who’s terrible reputation proceeds him.

Comment by Ray – February 27, 2014 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still don’t know why the honchos here had to stop broadcasting the 9:00 news from Chicago. That’s a lot of folks’ lifeline to what’s going on back home.

Comment by JenInChicago – February 27, 2014 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Horrible grammar….That’s a lifeline to what’s going on back home for a lot of folks.

(I feel better now.)

Comment by JenInChicago – February 27, 2014 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m excited for this show. I don’t get WGN so I’ll have to watch it on demand at a relative’s house or something.

Comment by Mikael – February 28, 2014 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post