Grey's Anatomy Post Mortem: April and [Spoiler]'s Shocking Decision Has Made Them 'Villains Now'

Greys Anatomy April and Jackson Get MarriedIf you have yet to watch Thursday’s midseason premiere of Grey’s Anatomy, hit the nearest exit. Everyone else, read on…

Well, that wasn’t the aftermath I was expecting.

Grey’s Anatomy returned from its 10-week hiatus with an episode that picked up mere moments after Jackson boldly stood up in the middle of April and Matthew’s wedding ceremony and proclaimed his love and devotion to the bride-to-be. But in a twist no one saw coming (and if they tell you they did, they’re lying), the action resumed outside the barn, and only featured two characters — Jackson and runaway bride April. After some initial hemming and hawing, the pair gleefully fled the scene of the crime and eloped!

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Contract Scoop: Ellen Pompeo and Patrick Dempsey Sign New 2-Year Deals

Below, the woman at the center of the matrimonial kerfuffle, April’s portrayer Sarah Drew, expresses her own shock and awe about the surprising turn of events, admits to being bummed that Jackson and April’s wedding took place off screen, reveals the whereabouts of jilted groom Matthew, and previews the immense obstacles that await the newlyweds (hint: their honeymoon period will be short-lived).

TVLINE | I have to say, I thought I was watching a dream sequence when Jackson and April ran out of that barn alone. Were you taken aback by that yourself?
I knew it was coming from the beginning of this season, so it wasn’t a shock to me. I was like, “Oh, so we’re not going to actually see anything happen [inside] the barn? We’re not going to see that conversation [between April and Matthew] happen? It’s just the barn doors open and there you go?'” [Laughs]

TVLINE | Right?
They’re like, ‘Yes! Let’s go!’ But at the same time, I totally love that she runs off with him because I think he is her best friend and I think he’s going to challenge her in ways that Matthew couldn’t and wouldn’t have been able to. I love April and Jackson together, so it’s a mixed bag. Greys Anatomy April and Jackson Get MarriedThey’ve also just destroyed some people’s lives and that’s pretty sad. And what we begin to see with Jackson and April as the season progresses is that there are things they just have not thought about that start to come up.

TVLINE | My theory for why they didn’t show us what happened in that barn is it was just too damn ugly for broadcast television audiences.
[Laughs] I would totally agree with that! I think it would be so painful; you couldn’t actually enjoy April and Jackson being together. It’d just be too much.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Scoop: Jessica Capshaw Previews Arizona’s ‘Worst Day Ever’

TVLINE | What do you think transpired inside that barn?
I’ve gone through different versions in my head…. I think in that moment of ecstasy, they’re both just shoving away the hurt that they’re causing and the pain they’re leaving behind, like, “I can’t think about that right now because I need to embrace this decision I’m making and I need to go forward with this decision that I’m making.”

TVLINE | Do we get a moment of closure between April and Matthew moving forward?
No. Not as of yet. Matthew is [probably] so unbelievably humiliated by the whole thing that he doesn’t ever want to talk to or see her — or anybody at the hospital — ever again. What we do get to see is April and Jackson dealing with the wreckage of what they left behind, and that’s why [their relationship and subsequent marriage] has been a secret; they don’t want to have to deal with everything. They want to have a moment to themselves.

TVLINE | And adding insult to the injured parties, they went and eloped!
I know. That’s the thing that’s so messed up! I mean, it makes great television, but it’s so hard because you want the people that you’re rooting for to just have this beautiful, happy experience. But, the fact of the matter is, [Jackson and April] also just became villains. They have created such a horrible, horrifying situation for two people who, up until that second, thought that they were in love with them. It’s just awful.

TVLINE | Awful human beings.
[Laughs] Yes!

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Exclusive: Greek Alum Joins Season 10 in Potentially Recurring Role

TVLINE | I imagine Jackson-April fans are going to be bummed they didn’t get to see an actual wedding. Were you disappointed about that?
Yes. And I actually do think that Jackson and April fans will be sad that they won’t get to see more of the honeymoon moments, and see them actually get married and see them actually have that epically romantic thing. But there’s a lot of other really cool stuff that’s coming up for April and Jackson this season that the fans are going to get excited about.

Greys Anatomy April and Jackson Get MarriedTVLINE | Like what?
A lot of it is drama. They have to decide to reveal that they’re married. And as they are moving forward in this totally fast marriage thing, they realize there are things about each other that they never knew. There are some pretty big issues that they never talked about. For instance, how are their potential children going to be raised? These are things that most [married couples] have already talked about. They’re best friends, but they’ve never actually dated. They had a sexual relationship that lasted a little bit of time, but they weren’t even really dating! [Laughs] Things are going to come up that are going to point out some pretty fundamental differences between the two of them.

TVLINE | I have a sinking feeling that poor Stephanie is going to be the first one to find out that they’re married.
[Nervous laughter] I can’t say!

What did you think of the episode? Are you finding it hard to be happy for Jackson and April? Weigh in below (and feel free to discuss the episode’s other big developments, including Callie and Arizona’s new home, the death of Alex’s dad and Derek’s surprising secret).

1. ggny says:

Willing to bet that it was Leah that went to HR over Arizona and not Stephanie

• Emma says:

Pretty sure there was 3 complaints filed. So I think it was both of them, along with Shane.

• Azerty says:

But Owen said “ONE of our surgical resident has lodged an official complain, three separate complains actually”. It seemed to me there was only one resident to complain and it was the same person who lodged the three complains…But I can be wrong, I hope we will find out next week.

• Toni says:

I feel like Leah complained on their behalf. Which is also stupid. Yes Stephanie is upset now but maybe she wouldn’t want a formal HR complaint on her behalf on the record.

2. Jinjoen says:

I’d be shocked if they left her with Matthew. That’d be twist no one saw coming! Why we don’t have this kind of twists anymore?

• Nick says:

Because if anyone had to see their boring relationship anymore, we’d go nuts! Plus, a lot of Grey’s fans would be livid and some might even stop watching! First, Mark and Lexie don’t get their happily ever after while they’re alive and then Jackson and April! It wouldn’t be a twist, just a great big disappointment! You know what was the twist? That they already got married! I was very surprised and happy about that!

3. Euvee says:

Gosh! Another rushed marriage = Christina & Owen 2.0. Can annoyingly neurotic April & douchey Jackson just run off into the sunset, together, please. They are the worst part of Grey’s IMHO.

• Nick says:

Nothing like Cristina and Owen…April and Jackson talked about a lot when they thought she was pregnant! Cristina and Owen were doomed because of the kid thing and Jackson and April both want kids!

• Euvee says:

*sigh* Obstacles from a rushed marriage can come in any form. There is no way in Shondaland they won’t come for Christina & Owen 2.0. It’s left to Shonda & her writers to let them stay together like Meredith & Derek, or go the route of just about every other relationship in the show :)

4. Chelsea says:

Yeah! I was actually cheering out loud by the end of the episode. It sucks that people had to get hurt along the way but April and Jackson belong together :)

• Nick says:

Matthew and Stephanie were always going to get hurt no matter what! Yeah, it could’ve been in a better place and at a better time, but it was better that April and Jackson did it before she got married!

5. Brittany says:

Murphy is the worst I completely agree!!!! There isn’t any story that she really fits in to well I guess if she’s the one who filed the complaint (I don’t doubt she is) then maybe there’s a small story that she’s in but it’s going to be everybody else who makes it a BIG story the show just needs to get rid of her!!!

6. Lisa Oh says:

YAY finally Jackson and April! I really couldn’t care less about Stephanie, she’ll get over it. But I do feel bad for Matthew – he probably feels a hundred times worse than Stephanie does. The interns – gotta go. Can’t wait til the next episode I just hope Japril lasts.

• Brittany says:

I love Jackson and April together it’s like meredeth and derek they went through every obstical but still came up on top together just like Jackson and April can and hopefully do!!! Mathew was a sweetheart and Stephanie was alright but they made April and Jackson seem boring a little bit

• Nick says:

I won’t feel bad for Stephanie if she filed the lawsuit(s)! Matthew may feel more humiliated, but at least he doesn’t have to see April every day! The interns do have to leave, and if they filed the charges, I have a feeling that they will go. Everyone will hate them, especially Jo! As far as relationships go, the one that will be the most affected is Alex and Jo’s! If the policy changes, Jo will transfer so she can stay with Alex, or maybe they will get engaged or married!

7. I really thought Matthew was a great guy for April and imagining him being hurt was just sad. It WAS hard to feel happy for them at first, especially when they obviously haven’t thought things through (jumping-out-of-the-car scene). But the end scene made up for all of it. There’s no denying these two are sweet together. :)

• Nick says:

I was freaking out and starting to feel bad for Jackson because he loves her so much, and when she jumped out of the car, it seemed like she was backpedaling in their relationship again! They needed to end up together, because they love each other, and they would’ve hurt Matthew and Stephanie for nothing! They are really sweet together!

8. I always felt like Jackson and April’s relationships were epically forced. They felt completely unnatural and plot driven solely to build dramatic tension between Jackson and April. So no, I didn’t feel bad for Stephanie or April, nor do I view them as villains for following their heart. If a person who is left in the cold cannot find their own peace through the realization they were in the wrong relationship to begin with, this cannot be held against Jackson and April forever.

• *relationships with Matthew and Stephanie

• Nick says:

I agree that Jackson and April can’t be the bad guys forever! They did what was best for everyone! As for their relationship being forced, that was never true! They were best friends who spent a lot of time together, and then in the midst of sex, they fell in love! In fact, this relationship was the least forced. All the others just start off with sex but Jackson and April already had a deep bond that went beyond sex before they even slept together! They’ve always been best friends who have talked about everything, given each other advice, and just had fun together!

9. Tamia says:

I just love jackson and April together their greys new super couple

10. georgia says:

i think that april and jackson will regret what they did. they mixed up the fascination for each other with a solid life base. april will get doubts and think that matthew might have been a better choice in the long run.

11. Mary says:

I think that Stephanie is going to be pregnant. I love the Jackson and April…..I always felt it was an connection between them. It was better to be hurt now then down the road. ….He and Stephanie wasnt a great fit.

• m says:

Yikes! I hope that that will not be one of the obstacles — Stephanie pregnant — because after waiting three seasons of wanting them to be together ‘together’ my poor heart would just break into gazillion pieces if they did another Mark & Lexie 2.0 scenario with Jackson and April. They need to be the couple that works because they had such a strong foundation (as best friends) to begin with so please don’t break them up. Rock the boat yes but they NEED to stay together.

12. Brittany says:

Leah is just jealous of the others because they have fun with the relationship or affair whatever you want to really call them because she ” falls in love” with everyone who shows even the slightest bit of interest in her for example does anybody remember Alex??? And JApril is the new Mark/Lexie they broke up but in the end it was always supposed to be them together they can’t break up their perfect together I can’t wait until everyone finds out their married

13. Tina B. says:

YAY! I LOVE THEM! I’m going to enjoy their happiness for how ever long. Marriage isn’t perfect and especially the circumstances that they BOTH brought themselves to it. They can work through it and keep learning about each other. They can’t just go back to dating, it wasn’t just sex with them, there was intimacy, friendship, they are there for each other for everything like spouses are.

14. Ariella says:

OMG…I just recently caught up on this series.! And I am soooo HAPPY that i did! I have been addicted to this show for the past few months now.! Shonda is an awesome writter and keeps me hooked.! And as for April and Jackson.! I love them together….they seem to bring the best out of each other and i think they make an awesome couple.! At first April wasnt my favorite character because there was something about her that made it hard to love her….and then I began to like her.! JACKSON AND APRIL ARE GREAT TOGETHER….I CANNOT wait to see where this goes.! Keep it coming.!

15. Ai Lin Chong says:

I just love April and Jackson together :) It’s like Lexie and Mark and Meredith and Derek :)

16. Ana says:

I‘ve just seen the first part of the wedding (I‘m in Brazil). I thought April would say she loved M. so I decided to read some spoilers. Beautiful episode.Moving. I think this season hasn‘t started well and think that it should be the last, but such a moving episode reminds me of the reasons why I love Grey‘s Anatomy.