American Idol Top 13 Results Recap: Exit Wounds

american-idol-top-13-results-recap-candice-glover-kristen-mk-malayaWe interrupt this American Idol Top 13 results night recap to give a round of applause to the quiet hero of the Season 13 judges’ panel…

Let’s hear it for Keith Urban! Yes, perhaps J.Lo’s aura sparkles a little brighter. And, sure, Harry Connick Jr. gets all the new-kid-on-the-block buzz. But Keith — who survived both The Great Mariah Windbaggery of 2013 (™) and The Wrath of Nicki’s Wigs with his humor in tact — continues to be a gust of fresh air (in a tight, faded t-shirt).

_MB14558Whether grooving and hooting during reigning champ Candice Glover’s killer vocal performance of “Cried” and “Same Kinda Man” — oh how I love that latter track! — or declaring that “My favorite Harry Connick Jr. song is ‘Jenny From the Block,'” Keith seems to take his job (but never himself) super seriously.

And even in a case where the “Judges’ Save” has clearly been left in a backstage storage locker (where it’s kept along with J.Lo’s heart at a chilly 22 degrees Fahrenheit), he’s still nice enough to play along and pretend he’s deliberating its usage.

In any event, shall we make like Ryan Seacrest — whose first pet was a goldfish named Sheila! — and get to the results?

Sent to Safety (in no Particular Order)
Ben Briley
Alex Preston
Jena Irene
Dexter Roberts
Majesty Rose
Sam Woolf
Emily Piriz
Jessica Meuse
Caleb Johnson
C.J. Harris

Bottom 3
Malaya Watson
M.K. Nobilette
Kristen O’Connor

Bringing Nothing to the Table (Again!)
Randy Jackson

Sent Back to the Lounge First
M.K.

Sent Back to the Lounge Second
Malaya

Singing for Her Life
Kristen O’Connor: Adele’s “Turning Tables” — I won’t pile on Kristen while she’s down, so let’s just say this particular vocal just moved into a nice little studio apartment on the corner of Adequate Avenue and Eh Street.

Eliminated
Kristen O’Connor

A few other random thoughts from the episode:

* Do I actually miss the Ford Music Videos? [As if I’d answer that question for the entire Internet to see!]

* That opening mashup of “Counting Stars” and “Radioactive” — very reminiscent of So You Think You Can Dance‘s epic “Puttin on the Ritz,” BTW — looked and sounded better than any  Idol group number (involving 10 or more singers) in my (middle-aged) memory. Also, when Majesty and Alex were side by side and all alone on the stage, I had a sudden “could this be the Final 2?” premonition. Anybody else think that?

* The “Judges’ Save” expires at Top 6 week this season.

* Next week’s theme is “Home.” Coincidentally, the Thursday telecast will feature Phillip Phillips debuting his new single!

* Which is most unbelievable?
A. That Ben Briley doesn’t know the meaning of kitschy
B. That J.Lo’s Idol contract allows a camera crew to enter her dressing room and grill her without any warning
C. That the judges weren’t unanimous about sending Kristen home
D. That Ryan has the time — let alone the inclination — to eat in a mall food court

* Also, it bears repeating: No matter how many copies of Music Speaks she ends up selling, Candice Glover is undoubtedly one of the greatest vocalists ever to come off this show. That mind-blowing string of notes at the end of “Same Kinda Man” made me hoot and holler just like Keith.

* Randy used the word “intonation” — so evidently, even he got Harry’s memo about “pitchy” not being in the dictionary. The question is, can he go the rest of the season without uttering the “p” word?

* I don’t think Jake Bugg would’ve made the Season 13 Top 30.

What did you think of Season 13 Top 13 results night? Did the right contestant get the boot? If not, who should’ve been cut? And how did you feel seeing/hearing Candice Glover back on the Idol stage? What about Jake Bugg? Sound off in the comments!

1. Jim says:

she sang turning tables mr slezak!

• Michael Slezak says:

See what happens when I rush to get you results!? (Honestly, I really was paying attention when she sang…unlike two of our judges during our S12 champ’s performance.)

• GrumpyOl'Lady says:

It’s ok Michael, it happens to all us oldies at some time or other lol

• Marfel Erece says:

Good Morning (Philippines’ time zone)…I’ve been reading several recaps about AI13 and yours is the one I like coz you analyze without being mean……you just state plain facts unlike the other reviewers who seems to boost their favorites by putting down idol finalist they don’t like

My personal favorite is Sam Woolf but again you are right in your opinion that he should overcome his shyness so that his personality will shine through because his pitch are near perfect and as for the other idol hopefuls, I wish them well

• donn says:

The judges talking during a performance drives me NUTS! At least pretend to be interested. Also, are they not selling the songs on iTunes this season? I looked last night and was unable to find anything…

• LeahKittyS says:

Lots of people are wondering about the recordings. Here’s what Michael Orland said when somebody asked about them on Twitter:

@MichaelOrland
          “I’m sure they will be after the first couple of weeks we all get through. Watch for them soon. Will see if I find out for sure.”

And to another fan:
          “I don’t have the definitive answer either. Sorry. But i’m sure they’ll do it soon. I’m sure they’ll report.”

• Gailer says:

Yea, Michael is in the balcony :)

• Janet says:

I think the boys are stronger singers than the girls and that we will probably have another WBWG winner this year. Just don’t have a real favorite yet.

2. Josh says:

She sang turning Tables, not chasing pavements. You could at least get your facts straight if you’re going to act like you know what you’re talking about

3. Jojo says:

Did anyone else cackle when Kristen was immediately dismissed to the bottom 3?

4. I’m a little surprised at MK being in the Bottom 3. I didn’t think she was that bad last night, but who knows what influences people into voting, or not voting. I agree that Kristen and Malaya were the Bottom 2, and I definitely think it was Kristen’s time to go. She just didn’t bring it, and she needed to after being the last pick for this Top 13. And why isn’t one of Candice Glover’s songs the “Goodbye Song” for the eliminated contestant? It’s always been(or at least for a number of years been) the past winner’s song that plays the episode out. Not right.

• LeahKittyS says:

Up-vote!

• MAB says:

It isn’t always the past winners song played as the goodbye song just last year it was Phillip’s because it fit. I remember one year it was “I had a bad day”

• Idolhead Ed says:

If tonight is any indication I love what they are doing instead. Getting the Idols to sing their own good bye song is a great idea. In fact her goodbye song was her best of the season. As much as I’d love to hear Jena sing one I hope I never do.

• ben says:

I was mildly surprised by MK being in the bottom 3, but I wouldn’t say I was wildly surprised by people considering her performance being one of the weakest 3 of the night. It was a poor song choice that she didn’t really execute and I can understand why especially casual viewers simply may not have connected with it or enjoyed it. I just personally didn’t tihnk it deserved bottom 3 because, well, shes MK and she has such a nice voice.

• ben says:

I think its simply been past idols whose song fir, not necessarily winners. But “Goodbye Song” sounds like it would have fit.

• rio says:

I wouldn’t have been surprised if she had been eliminated. I thought she was incredibly bad Wednesday night, and I was puzzled that no one else here seemed to feel that way. And I’m not a hater–she was one of my favorites until that awful performance. Let’s hope she gets some meaningful coaching.

• claudia says:

No, they used a non-Idol for a number of years & then I think it was David Cook’s song they used for 2 or 3 years & then they used Phillip Phillips’.

I agree Malaya & Kristen needed to be B2 but Dexter should have been the other one. MK was better than all 3 of them. Malaya’s ego drives me crazy, I wish it had been her going home – she & Dexter should have been bottom 2.

• darcy the slutty twin says:

“Bad Day” by Daniel Powter was during Melinda’s season, I think? Season 7, David Cook’s season, it was “Celebrate Me Home,” by Ruben Studdard. Don’t remember Season 8’s farewell song. Season 9, it was “Leave Right Now” by Will Young. Season 10, it was David Cook’s cover of “(Don’t You) Forget About Me.” Either Season 11 or 12, it was Scotty McCreery’s cover of “Please Remember Me.”

• MAB says:

Exit Songs began in Season 5

Season 5. Daniel Powler. Bad Day.
          Season 6. Daughters. Home
          Season 7. Ruben Studdard. Celebrate Me Home.
          Season 8. Carrie Underwood. Home Sweet Home.
          Season 9. Will Young. Leave Right Now.
          Season 10. David Cook. Don’t You Forget About Me.
          Season 11. Scotty McGreery. Please Remember Me.
          Season 12. Phillip Phillips. Gone Gone Gone

• LeahKittyS says:

Here are all the goodbye songs over the years.
          Season 5: “Bad Day by Daniel Powter
          Season 6: “Home” by Daughtry
          Season 7: “Celebrate Me Home” by Ruben Studdard
          Season 8: “Home Sweet Home” by Carrie Underwood
          Season 9: “Leave Right Now” by Will Young
          Season 10: “Don’t You (Forget About Me)” by David Cook
          Season 11: “Please Remember Me” by Scotty McCreery
          Season 12: “Gone Gone Gone” by Phillip Phillips

• r says:

Malaya doesn’t have an ego at al. She is a loving person who has a big personality. And she has a big voice . Hope she stays a while. Don’t confuse egocentrism with enthusiasm . Two totally different things.

5. MAB says:

I am okay with the results but really thought Dexter should have been in the bottom 3 rather than MK.

• tealeaves says:

Me too. I would have put Kristen, Malaya, and Dexter in the bottom 3 based on last night’s performances.
      But I was not shocked MK was in the bottom. Dexter would benefit from the country vote. I think if MK has a great week next week she can stay out of the bottom again for a while.

• Teeny Bikini says:

I know. Right? How is it possible that MK got less votes than Dexter? He mumbled his words, went first and is a pretty ordinary country singer – at best. If the guy ever starts *enunciating* his words he’s gonna be unstoppable…

• Owen says:

Look, I’m gay, and I’m getting a little insulted by the deference people are giving MK just because she IS gay, I mean obviously gay and talked about it. I love the girl, she has a wonderful jazzy quality to her voice, but is far, FAR from perfect.. Maybe by the time she finishes this she’ll be closer. But right now, as boring as Dexter was, his was a better performance, both vocally and stylistically. Which really says how mediocre MK was. I’m so glad she got another chance, but please, posters, judges, Slezak–grade her on her performance. Not on what she represents.

• trimaran12 says:

Not going to say Dexter was better, even though I like him. But the song MK sang was unfamiliar to many and not brilliantly or energetically done. Sad but not surprised she is in the bottom.

• ben says:

I like MK, and its not because she is gay. It’s because she is real. I find Dexter dull and generic. I enjoyed MKs flawed performance last night FAR FAR more than I enjoyed Dexter’s. I often prefer flawed performances that I connect with to boring peformances that might be more technically proficient. I also really don’t care how “cool” it might be to support the gay contestant, I just like MK because I do. She has s tone to her voice which I enjoy. I agreed with Slezak’s grade. I hope MK brings a better song choice next week.

• Teeny Bikini says:

On this, we will have to agree to disagree. I don’t give MK special points for being gay. Whatever that means? I think her *performance* was actually better than Dexter. Neither was great, but she was slightly (and mean ever-so) slightly better. You you, Owen, it is possible that some people actually like MK b/c of her *voice*? I do. Crazy stuff like that does happen in a *singing* competition.

• elizabeth3613431 says:

MK pierced my heart last week. Her presence was unbelievable and made me feel like she was sitting in my living room singing directly to my family and me. This week her performance wasn’t nearly as compelling. I think she needs to stick with songs that have a more intimate, coffee-house vibe.

• Holly says:

I agree, the Idol singers should be judged on their merits, although to be fair “who you are” is part of the package when you are an entertainer. I just don’t personally find MK very entertaining. She has a pretty boring persona, and the backwards baseball hat as a “signature” look is pretty immature.

• danin says:

Owen, I’m a lesbian and MK sang a song I am not familiar with,but I liked the song and I like her voice.Not giving her special points because she is also a lesbian no.Her voice and face belie her butch exterior.She doesn’t exude stage presence.But she was wayy better than Malaya or CJ have been for several weeks now.Yes Malaya has personality and she plays instruments which is very cool.But she has no vocal control.Neither does CJ whose prior song choices I have loved but the voice just is not anywhere near being there for him. The three of them suffer from nerves.And in my mind since this is a vocal competition CJ or Malaya deserved to be the ones who should have exited

• Alan Dvorkis says:

Your comment is ridiculous. Opinions of singers is mostly subjective. You think she was mediocre. That does not mean she is mediocre. I think she is a terrific singer who chose the wrong song. I think she is more likely in the bottom 3 for what she represents, not for her singing. If you believe she was one of the 3 worst singers this week, you are truly delusional. Based on your being “insulted by the deference” comment, my statement is likely objective.

• rio says:

She certainly wasn’t one of the best! I have liked her a lot up until that performance, which to my ears was just terrible. I wish I’d saved the show, because I want to hear what you did. I absolutely was not surprised to see her in the bottom, and I hope she regains her footing. I don’t think her voice can carry most up-tempo songs.

• Holly says:

She was in the bottom 3 because she is boring. Nothing to do with her voice or her sexual orientation.

• SS says:

I say you’re the one with the ridiculous comment for suggesting that mk was in the bottom 3 due to her being gay rather than due to a bad performance which is what she gave.

• claudia says:

If you think that the 3 worst singers always end up in the bottom 3 then YOU are delusional. As long as Idol is a popularity contest, the worst singer is not always the one who goes home. (Sanjaya anyone?)

• Tarc says:

And let’s be honest, no openly gay folks will ever really succeed or win – even if just 5% of voters refuse to vote for her on the basis of her being gay, she’s toast. We’ve seen it show after show in the US, UK, and Australia. It only takes a few votes to make the difference (and I doubt the bigotry here in the US will only manifest in as 5%).

• Adam and Clay were pretty much openly gay and made it to second, at least to those of us with eyes. On the Voice the first season Vicki and Beverly were openly lesbian and made it to the finals if I recall correctly. We just haven’t seen a gay idol win yet.

• AlyB says:

While I don’t think that was her best performance, I think MK was much better than Dexter and I would have put him in the bottom 3 instead of her . That has nothing to do with her being gay. Your assertion that people here are showing her some kind if deference because she’s gay is as ridiculous as me saying you didn’t like her performance because she’s gay. You should perhaps take into account that people like different things about a vocal and the ranking of who was better or worse is entirely subjective . Your assertion that many of us preferred her performance to Dexter’s only because she’s gay is really unfair. I don’t put her up among the best but she’s not at the bottom of the pack either. I thnk she suffered from being middle of the pack. It’s a dangerous spot when there are this many contestants because it doesn’t drive votes for a wow performance or the “oh crap someone I want to stay didn’t do well I better throw them votes” votes. I’m glad she ended up safe. I do think she needs to up her game. None of that has anything to do with her being gay.

• marie says:

And I enjoyed MK’s performance more than most Wednesday night: loved the song, really enjoyed the performance. (Hate the baseball cap, but it doesn’t influence my judgment/reaction.) I couldn’t care less if she’s gay, straight, or polka-dot (intentionally mixed metaphor).

• darcy's evil twin says:

Owen, I’m straight, and I’m none too crazy about MK. I didn’t think her performance was up to par. I do love me some Melissa Etheridge, though.

• Julie Anderson says:

Thank you for that voice of reason.

Michael, I too wondered when I saw Alex and Majesty together. Alex is my favorite overall. I do wish he could redo “Beautiful Mess” though. So much was fantastic, but it killed me when he went out of tune.

• ben says:

Either Dexter or CJ, for sure.

6. Name This Tune says:

The right person was eliminated. And it’s looking like the first 3 eliminations will be girls.

• JayNC says:

I am glad to see that Malaya and MK are weaker than I expected – gives me hope as both are overrated (IMO).

• r says:

They are not weak. I mean they had. 1 bad performance. Didn’t some great idol winners/alumni have a terrible performance or 2? Don’t judge based n 1 performance please

• ben says:

It doesn’t look like that. How many seasons has the second person to go not been in the bottom 3 the week before? Several, I think. Both Malaya and MK gave performances that were significantly down on what they did the week before. I’m not prejudging what may happen next week.

• JayNC says:

Just sayin. Malaya is not a good singer but she has the personality that I thought would take her further into the season. MK is an ok singer but she has a lot of hype around her and I thought that would make her more popular. To see both of them in the bottom 3 at this stage in the competition tells me they are not as popular as I thought.
        Oh and you got my curiosity up so I checked and looks like only 4 times has the second person eliminated been in the bottom 3 the week before – Season 4 (Mikalah Gordon), Season 9 (Paige Miles), Season 10 (Karen Rodriguez), and Season 11 (Shannon Magrane). There was no bottom 3 in the first week last year, so 4 out of 11 is 36%.

• Sugar says:

JayNC, I have to say I am impressed with your research. (!) I don’t think I have the kind of patience to look all that up, but I thank you for doing it for us. :) I do have to disagree about Malaya, though. I think her personality is fine for a sophomore in High school who is energetic, starstruck and possibly ADD, but it gets a bit jarring to watch. I like her, but I think she is one who would have been better served to have waited a few years for this.

• JayNC says:

Just for fun I checked to see how far contestants had gone if they were in the bottom 3 the first week. None have ever won AI, but 5 made it to the final 3: Nikki McKibbin Season 1, Kimberley Locke Season 2, Syesha Mercado Season 7, Haley Reinhardt Season 10, Joshua Ledet Season 11.

7. GrumpyOl'Lady says:

To be fair, I’m not in Jake Bugg’s target audience (being a grumpy ol’ lady and all, but I did have to mute the tv. Not so with Candice–she was a delight to listen to, and made the evening worth while for me.
    I was kind of shocked to see MK in the bottom three, but honestly, I think she’s going to be in the mix for the duration–I believe she’s going to find herself, and when she does, she’ll be great.
    Otherwise, I’m kind of bored with this years crop; hoping someone will break out of the herd soon.

• Teeny Bikini says:

Ha! I love your username. I think MK needs to come out of her shell and fast. I don’t think it’s her voice – but her stage presence needs to go next-level like pronto.

• analythinker says:

If MK can up her stage presence to Michelle’s level, she’d be great! Now (this is for you, Owen), I don’t compare the two because of their sexuality. They’re different artists, and I just imagine the possibilities!

• Flicker says:

I find it interesting that we (the generalized we) tend to comment on the lack of stage presence of the women in the competition, but rarely do we comment on the lack of stage presence of the guys. To me, MK has as much to learn about how to work the stage as does AJ, or Alex.

• LB says:

I disagree about the gender bias you suggest. People are focussing on MK because she’s in the bottom 3 and no males are. In prior message boards, plenty of commenters have criticized Sam for a lack of stage presence. However, since Sam wasn’t in the bottom 3 last night, he isn’t particularly relevant to the discussion of last night’s recap.
          Also, while AJ and Alex may not move around a lot on stage, they have fairly expressive faces when they sing. To me, they have a lot more stage presence than MK, who is completely stone-faced during her performances.

• chris says:

I actually asked my husband if Jake Bugg was singing in English because it sounded so weird. I can’t believe Keith was so enthusiastic about him.

• Var says:

Jake is from a city in England in which the people have a heavy, unique accent. Check out his “Lightning Bolt” song. It’s terrific. His voice on that song sounds like a combination of young Bob Dylan and Donovan.

• RW says:

I own both of Jake Bugg’s Albums, would not buy Candace Glover’s ,she has a nice voice but but ends up on the shelf with so many other vocalists! She is not enough of an artist to sustain a career globally. Jake Bugg comes from the British music scene that promotes individuality, so therefore you get many unique artists,

• Amie says:

I’m a grumpy old lady and I really enjoyed Jake Bugg. He had kind of a Donovan/Dusty Springfield/folky pop Brit 60s vibe.

• AB says:

I liked Jake Bugg too. Mr. slezak’s comment that he wouldn’t make Idol’s top 13 is probably true, since they are so formula driven.

8. Idolhead Ed says:

I have to say I loved the whole hour. It was quite good and the top 13 song together was really fun. I am surprised by MK’s bottom 3 showing but not surprised who left I think everybody and their cousins knew.I think the weakest singer left so now let’s really get on with the show. Next week’s theme “Home”. Whatever that is.

• Teeny Bikini says:

Yup, that was actually an engaging and fun group performance. Who knew that was a thing? :) Um… there are couple of weak singers left – I am just hoping they get better by next week ’cause I like them….

• 3VotersAtOurHouse says:

CJ is weak, too. He should have been on a stool. It may be hard to understand this, but MK’s hat and the band across her forehead is an issue for the teens at our house. :) The kids cheered the hat taking a stool. Go figure.

• Sugar says:

Interesting….I don’t have teens at my house, but I would have thought they would have liked the hat? I’m not so fond of it, it reminds me of Justin Bieber and I’m not so fond of him either.

• bobsaccamanna says:

hey sugar :)
          I was thinking the same thing last night, the hat reminds me of Justin Bieber, and everytime something reminds me of Justin Bieber my skin starts to crawl off my body. She should lose the hat definitely.

• Sugar says:

Just curious, bob, what do you think of her voice? I was surprised to see her on the bottom, as soon as we saw Dexter go I figured she was in trouble. (Darn! I was sure it would be Dexter!) I agree she may not have done a stellar performance, but there were places when she used the false so beautifully, imo. I am a sucker for a good false – every time. (Frankie Vallee can still win me over – lol!)

• bobsaccamanna says:

I really like her voice Sugar, I was shocked to see her in the bottom 3 as well, although I don’t think that was a great performance for her Wednesday. But I also agree Dexter was awful and should have been in the bottom 3 instead of MK, I’m still disappointed that some of the better female singers were not allowed to compete instead of Malaya and Kristen.

• Sugar says:

Yes, I hear you! I am still disappointed for Kenzie. I’m watching Jessica in the girls group, but Jena impressed me too…I want to like Emily, but there is something about her that I can’t yet…maybe that will change? Meanwhile, I do like Mk and hope she will choose a better song next week.

• Joy says:

The kids cheered the hat taking a stool. LOL That’s painting a picture of family fun! Young teens? Thanks for sharing.

9. Name This Tune says:

It’s a head scratcher that any one expected anything else for Kristen. She was not voted into the top 10 and she did nothing to win anyone over. But the judges loved her.

10. Alice says:

Now that’s Kristen’s gone, I’m a lot more okay with her placement in the top 13. To be fair, I thought she was about 6th out of 10 on rush week, and out of the 5 wild cards, she was 3rd to me. I have no problem with her making it exactly as far as she did in the competition

• Ally says:

I feel just the opposite. She was totally the right one to send home, but never should have been there in the first place. Still bitter over early favorites Kenzie not even getting a chance to perform. There were several people in the top 20, Kristen included, that were so weak, it’s hard to imagine some of the consistently good contestants tanking so badly during boot camp to justify their dismissal.

• Sugar says:

I agree about Kenzie, I am still shaking my head over what could have happened that kept her out – (and glitter lipstick in?) But she was really cute and I don’t think that did her any favors. This appears to be the year of the anti-beauty.

• Alice says:

Eh. There was going to be issues with that format no matter what. Cutting any amount of people when we’re given no reason that late in the game will cause all sorts of “what ifs”. All I can say for sure is given the performances we saw, and just the performances, 13th out of those 20 performance is about where I would have placed her

11. marie says:

Damn, the enormous golf tees are back!
    I wondered how the contestants reacted to Jake Bugg. I mean, he sounded just like HE could have been one of the contestants himself. If I were one if the Top 13, I think I’d have been a little taken aback: like, why are they hyping THIS guy when they have the thirteen of US?
    Perfectly OK with Kristen leaving tonight.

• Adam Fachry says:

The WGWG contestaht has yet to prove they could be as observational as Bugg. They can only wish and practice.

• tealeaves says:

I also thought, while Jake was singing, that he seemed like a contestant. Then my brother walked into the room while Jake was singing and said, “I don’t even remember this one.” lol.

• Wrecking Ball says:

Jake Bugg? Eww… AI lost all credibility with this guy. He would not even get a chair to turn on The Voice.

• deedee says:

Marie, I had the exact same reaction. Jake Bugg was ok, but he was indistinguishable from the contestants. I can’t wrap my head around the decision to pimp some relative unknown, when there’s not only a whole Top 13 crop of ‘em – but also many past-seasons-worth of talented artists struggling to get noticed. *sigh* just another odd decision by the new production team.

• ChrissieK says:

Jake Bugg’d me! He’s been written up in several weekly publications as the Next Coming of the Beatles and so when Keith introduced him I thought “cool” but it was anything but that! Channeling Bob Dylan? And no, doubt he would have made it to Hollywood! Bring on Paloma Faith if you want British entertainment…she’s great!

• Sugar says:

I don’t know….I liked him. There was something different in the timbre of his voice, he seemed to be original to me. I would listen to more from him.

• darcy's evil twin says:

ha ha ha – “giant golf tees”. I thought the same thing, marie.

12. Adam Fachry says:

I’m not really a fan of Jake Bugg’s second album but his first album was a real treat musically (filled with Dylanian ratatat vocal delivery with a hint of Gene Pitney, impressive guitar leads, and 60s-esque jingle jangle production). This is someone adolescent singer-songwriters should look up to no matter how much a douche he is irl (which is almost the case for all british male musicians from the Gallagher brothers to Suede).

Love this whole “tastemaker” segment the producers give to us this season. Sort of like a band performance segment on a late night show. Please invite Janelle Monae, Jessie Ware, Laura Mvula, Arcade Fire, Laura Marling, Gillian Welch, Arctic Monkeys, Frank Ocean next, Idol!

• danin says:

Adam Fachry, I live your taste in music.I also love soul,R&B,funk.And well,good music in general.I wasn’t familiar w/Jake Bugg but my ears perked up w/that 60’s early 70’s sound.Once in a while I could hear a thread of Simon&Garfunkel too.While watching I was thinking the contestants probably were somewhat envious of Jake’s position at being recognized by Keith&actually performing on the show rather than being a competitor himself.But I enjoyed him&this new segment of the show.

• Adam Fachry says:

Thank you danin. Geez, I can’t believe people found him indistinguishable from the contestants where Bugg basically has done a lot artistically compared to them. Jake Bugg > Alex Preston, Sam Woolf, Dexter, etc. combined. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t consider him one of the best singer-songwriters of recent era, but the guy’s been through a lot as an artist.

On a side note, have you heard of Laura Marling, danin? If you like 60s-70s folk, you will find her delightful to listen to. Everything from Joni Mitchell to Bert Jansch to Richard Thompson seems to influence her sound and songwriting.

• danin says:

Adam, there’s a really good station out of Philly near where I live.I believe I heard them interviewing Laura,and she sang too.She sounded like Joni!

• deedee says:

Adam, it’s because he’s not a big name, and many (most?) Idol viewers probably never heard his songs and don’t know what he’s been through artistically. Now, there’s nothing wrong with showcasing a talent like that, but on a singing competition that has loads of struggling alums, I think it’s kind of a head-scratcher to have a “tastemaker” segment that features relative unknowns. If you’re gonna introduce an artist to mainstream consciousness, keep it in the family!
          Not saying I’m right – or that there’s even necessarily a right or wrong here – but that was my gut reaction.

• marie says:

Well put, deedee; that was my reaction too. I was actually a little put off on behalf of the contestants. Plus, Adam, on the basis of that single song, I personally didn’t hear anything that suggested to me that this guy was any better than the current crop of contestants. Different strokes, as they say.
            As deedee suggested, there are many Idol alums struggling to be noticed; give the spotlight to one of them. Last season, if I remember correctly, the former producers did just that, and in that, for me, that was one area where the old production team actually did better than the new one.

• Adam Fachry says:

@deedee and marie: They can have both segents. First one is for the idol alums, and the second one is for the “tastemaker” (judge’s or Randy’s find). I mean, they invited Candice this week, which sort of implies that they won’t be forgetting former contestants who happen to release new materials. I actually think having someone as obscure as Bugg (for Idol demographics’ standard, of course) is a good thing because it would introduce the masses to music outside the Billboard charts.

• Adam Fachry says:

*segments

• Pierce says:

I took the whole Bugg thing as a producer driven eye opener to promote Alex and that type of folk/protest/Dylanesque singer. And being a person of that era, I applaud anything that turns young people toward real creativity and away from rap-crap.

• Sugar says:

I do think there is room to showcase both past performers and new taste-makers. When SYTYCD had two nights, their second night always featured a new dancer or dance troupe that needed the PR. I always looked forward to seeing them and hearing their background story. I mean…there’s an hour here – I could do with less time spent on the suspense of who’s going home and more time on music.

• deedee says:

@Pierce: If anything, I see it as more a producer-driven attempt to be cool and recapture the younger viewer.

• Tahoe Mike says:

I’d love to see Gillian Welch!

• Leah says:

Janelle Monae, Arcade Fire, Frank Ocean and Arctic Monkey are already pretty BIG names

13. Owen says:

What was that insipid crack about J.Lo’s heart, Slezak??? What is wrong with you, man?? And yes, we all hate Randy Jackson, but why again and again and again bring up how useless he is. We know it and we get it. Jeeze…

• OhMy says:

It can never be said too much.

• Owen says:

Oh, I get it, Slezak. I just read your comment when someone above rightly called you out on your stupidity. Keith is the best cause he enjoyed Candice Glover, unlike the two other judges, one who,because she didn’t pay enough attention to your fanboy crush, has no heart. Get over it.

• Cher says:

Leave Slezak alone!! Randy Jackson is a HUGE waste of space and deserves the criticism. Last night he actually used the word “intonation” for the first time in all 13 seasons. I believe he learned that word from Harry. He brings nothing to this show. Now Slezak, on the other hand, is one of the best writers around. He is very talented and knows his stuff. I think he has the right to call Randy out on his ignorance.

• rio says:

Randy adds absolutely nothing. I’m missing Jimmy Iovine.

• 3VotersAtOurHouse says:

Jimmy was interesting and smart. He added to the show! The show is less without him.

• bobsaccamanna says:

and I’m sure Jimmy was let go just so Randy had some kind of on screen involvement, Jimmy really did add something to the show, although this year it seems the judges are being more honest in their comments. In some years Jimmy was the only one you could rely on for that kind of honesty. On another note, I was wondering what had happened to last years contestants(Janelle, Angie,Kree). Well now I know, Candice ate them. (it’s a joke people don’t go nuts)

• Sugar says:

I thought Jimmy was the only voice of reason we had last year and I am sorry to see him go. Like bob, I suspect Randy pulled rank for that position, but I wonder why they couldn’t just *team it?* Maybe Randy and Jimmy didn’t get along? (and BTW bobsaccamanna – tsk,tsk, tsk…;) )

• marie says:

@bobsaccamanna: It wasn’t a particularly amusing joke. :-( I’m not “going nuts,” but I do cringe at meanspiritedness trying to pass for humor.

• Leah says:

I agree with Marie. A bad joke. And, wasn’t really worth mentioning.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Being large didn’t affect Adele, Cass Elliot, or Aretha Franklin.

• LeahKittyS says:

If anything, it helps them a little. I’m a singer, and when I lost weight I noticed a slight shift in my range. It became harder for me to hit bigger notes. I’m keeping the weight off now, but I had to relearn how to build up to certain notes, and there are still some I can’t hit. Not a big deal; I don’t want to be a powerhouse vocalist.

• deedee says:

I always liked Jimmy’s input. Thought he was smart and funny. I have a feeling he made up his mind to leave during last season. If you recall, his segments became shorter and less frequent. He wasn’t really into any of the contestants, and didn’t even bother showing up to the finale. He either got bored, or had a falling out with the show … something was going on behind the scenes. I fully expected him to resign, so I’m not sure it has anything to do with them making room for Randy.

• Gailer says:

I’m still shocked he has such a huge role this season.

• seattlejohn449 says:

Mr Pitchy has moved on to “intonation” and has already used up his quota for the word this season…absolutely HATED Jackson taking up so much screen-time talking over the contestants ..he has totally killed any interest I had in watching the results shows and I will be depending on Slezak for the good word

• MamaLis says:

Because it’s only Week #2 of the Live Performances and Randy has been debuted in a totally new way. His little “Sage Mr. Randy” in the lower frame offering hushed-tone advice prior to “show-time” was so ridiculous and vacuous it was almost a parody of itself.

We’ve all heard “life isn’t fair” and don’t I know it.
      But Randy? He’s got the FLIP thing going with Idol! Here’s a guy that’s been SO mediocre for SO long and yet he continues to get this SWEET, sweet livelihood out of Idol – just absolutely setting him up for life. And for what? For freaking what?

It’s just stunning. Really.

14. Max says:

I’m sure he has some hit songs, but who is Jake Bugg?

15. Tiff says:

The hour was fine. Glad to see Candice back. Jake Bugg was okay. The right person got voted off.

But did anyone else notice how Idol now has huge pictures of all of the contestants – and then they dimmed the friggin lights on Kristen after she got eliminated? She’s not dead, guys! I felt like I was watching some awards show in memoriam section. Ugh.

• LB says:

I too noticed the lights dimming on her image. It seemed kinda mean.

• elizabeth3613431 says:

Maybe the lighting guy read LeahKittyS’s story from last year, lol.

• LeahKittyS says:

Oh no! What have I done? LOL
          In all seriousness, I’m having mixed feelings about the overall harshness of this season (picture dimming included). On one hand, it feels more like a real reality show. On the other hand, it’s kind of mean when these contestants are under enough pressure already. But I agree with the majority that Kristen was the right pick to go home this week. Now my next goal is to keep M.K. out of the bottom 3.

• trf says:

Surprisingly, I like the new direction and presentation this new director/producer is bringing to the show, Randy as the new ‘voice of criticism” – uh not so much. I understand the comedy element of asking the judges crazy questions with a time limit. Doesn’t mean I’m a fan of it. New stuff like this is fine, but let’s try something else. The dimming of the eliminated contestant’s image at the end – c’mon stealing from Big Brother isn’t necessary is it??

• Scott says:

Only MK can keep herself out of the bottom 3. And she has to connect to the song and the audience to do that (unlike this week)

• r says:

Idk how it’s harsh compared to other sseasons(other than rush week ). But dimming a picture isn’t going to make the earth explode or anything. I think it’s cool. I think te judges are great and honest and I think randy has good advice for the contestants this year. And he isn’t mean spirited ( jimmy was kind of by telling Lazaro out of 6 people he was tenth and saying deandre would go home before he even performed ).
            All in all all of the episodes and additions minus rush week have been excellent

• Fran V says:

Yeah, kinda like Hunger Games.

• The Beach says:

Very Big Brother.

• ChrissieK says:

They did the same thing on HGTV’s Design Star…the one eliminated was told “We are sorry but your show is not being produced” and their photo would fade away…that’s show biz!

• Tiff says:

I think it was the fact that they did it while Kristen was still on stage. If it had happened next week and her picture was just dark, I would have been fine with it. It just felt a bit like they were driving the point home too much…and yeah, definitely felt a bit Hunger Games-ish.

16. Cogamimaje says:

MK needs to be comfortable while performing. She’s making it look awkward (especially to the ones watching at home) when she’s drifting away from the audience especially when she’s waiting for the next lines of the song. She has an amazing voice… Really lovely tone! But she needs “not to be awkward” and have more stage presence if she’s hoping to go a long way. Love love her! Hope she improves in this department.

After Kristen, I hope Dexter and CJ go next. (Love CJ’s tone as well but he’ll run out of excuses if he won’t perform to his standards next week). Solid top 10 I guess (though you may say it’s the weakest? but still, couple of em can win this thing and can be legitimate stars).

17. tewence says:

Thank you candice for showing the calibur of artist that one should possess as a contestant on this show. She made them all look so amateur. I hardly cared about the results. And no, I’m not saying everybody should be like candice, but at least ONE of them should be able to perform at the same level.

• tewence says:

I’m sure my wording or grammar was off in that comment….no time for clear thought when I’m so emotionally charged haha!

• Owen says:

Not ONE of those contestants, as much as I love some of them, come close to having Candice Glover’s voice. And they never will. But a lot have her swagger, and some best her entertainment-wise already. It’s a different kind of Idol every year. Which I love.

• Sugar says:

None of the women have Candice Glover’s voice…at least not that we have seen so far. And, of course, you cannot put men in that category at all. But Candice was so beautiful tonight. I could have done without the distracting digital imagery show-off stuff going on behind her, though.

• The Beach says:

Every song Candice sang last year was amazing and showed such a grasp of multiple music genres, including classic jazz vocalists. I guess that’s why I was so disappointed in her album. It just didn’t wow me or sound like the Candice I was looking forward to hearing.

• tvlover44 says:

beach, my first listen to candice’s album i did feel slightly as you do – wondering where was the ‘something mindblowing’ i was expecting (a la so many of her performances last season). upon relistening having put that expectation aside, i found the album much more enjoyable. then the songs started coming into my head all the time. and now, i just love the whole darn thing. i also think there are many tracks that will appeal to non-idol fans. i think word-of-mouth will spread over time and will help sales, as well. i know i’ve turned some (non-idol-fan) friends onto her record already and they report loving her voice and the LP as well.

i do also think that some of what you’re experiencing and what i did initially is down to the difference between live and recorded. just as sometimes i’ve downloaded the itunes versions of songs done live on idol and found them wanting, there’s a different dynamic with the live element removed. i think it’s just a different kind of pleasure to get used to, when you’ve been exposed predominantly to the other. (that said, i thought candice added those wonderful touches that liveness enables to her two songs tonight!)

• marie says:

Sad but not surprising, Beach. For me, most post-Idol albums have been disappointing, usually marred by mediocre songs. That includes even Haley’s and Adam’s album, and they were some of my favorite Idol contestants ever. The only albums by Idol alums that I can remember thinking were truly representative of the performers, and that I really enjoyed, were those of Casey Abrams and Phil Phillips. I’ll buy Candace’s album, but I won’t expect too much (didn’t like the two songs she sang last night very much – sorry, Mr Slezak). Then again, maybe I’ll be pleasantly surprised, as tvlover44 was.

• bobsaccamanna says:

Crystal Bowersox second album “All That For This” is fantastic, and definitely true to the artist she was always going to become post idol. Admittedly her first record was a mess, I mean come on, Crystal singing a song written by Kara Dioguardi wasn’t going to work. I think that’s what happens to many of the idol alum, they get saddled with a record that has too much post idol influence and not enough of what they really want to create.

• MAB says:

Lee Dewyeze has a really good album out and his don’t Fight is doing well on the charts.

• tealeaves says:

David Cook’s album is excellent, But he had a lot of influence over the songs and who he wrote with. He also store/co-wrote most of the songs. Phillips also wrote/co-wrote most of his songs and that is why he also put out a great album.

• Emma says:

Different strokes for different folks I guess because I LOVE Haley’s album, I think its absolutely fantastic, still hasn’t gotten old to me. I’m not a fan of Casey or P2’s voice so I can’t give an opinion on either of theirs but Haley’s is really something unique and wonderful. It’s a shame it didn’t get a second single or a tour because I truly believe it would have taken off with a little more exposure. But hey, I guess that’s what everyone says about their favorite idols that didn’t make it, isn’t it?

• bobsaccamanna says:

@ Emma, I loved Haley as a contestant, she was my favorite that year. I didn’t listen to her album but I’m sure I would like it, because she has the type of voice that I am drawn to.

• marie says:

Thank you all for the suggestions; I just may check out Crystal’s second album, and I’d forgotten about David Cook’s post-Idol recordings, which are not my cup of tea but which my wife enjoys and I respect.
            As for Haley, I absolutely loved her on Idol, and in some of her pre-Idol YouTube videos where she sang classic jazz standards beautifully, but every time I tried to play her post-Idol album, I found myself taking it off after a song or three and putting on Amy Winehouse’s “Frank” instead, simply for the quality of the songs.

• Emma says:

Haley’s songs are top notch, IMHO, but like I said different strokes for different folks. Personally I find jazz mindnumbingly boring and I think scatting is stupid so I was pretty happy that Haley’s album wasn’t jazz standards, she’s far too young and vivacious for that, Oh My! Maybe one day far far down the road but thank gawd she didn’t do that on her debut album. The songs on Listen Up are fabulous, I LOVE them all.

• darcy's evil twin says:

“Casey James” by Casey James is excellent. And I’ve loved everything by Daughtry and some of Carrie Underwood’s stuff. Same for Kelly Clarkson. I like some but not all of it.

• Leah says:

I think part of the problem with Idol debut albums is that record producers try to do what they think is going to resonate with the buying public…but the truth is that people want to hear more of the kind of artist they were while they were on Idol. That’s why we loved them, that why we voted for them. I was a huge James Durbin fan when he was on Idol, but did he ever put out that Dio/Black Sabbath throwback classic metal album he promised us?! No. He put out watered down post-grunge album that fell short of my expectations. I was crushed. And, this happens all too often. Daughtry is successful because his music represents the type of music he performed on Idol. I wish more Idols would go on to do the same.

• marie says:

@ Leah: “I think part of the problem with Idol debut albums is that record producers try to do what they think is going to resonate with the buying public…but the truth is that people want to hear more of the kind of artist they were while they were on Idol. That’s why we loved them, that why we voted for them.”
            I think you’ve hit the nail on the head. We want more of what we heard on Idol, and instead, too often we get generic, not-very-good pop.

• Z says:

Loved seeing Candice. Made me a little nostalgic for season 12 so I went back to check our her performances last year. I completely agree with Michael that she’s one of the greatest voices in AI history. I’m really enjoying this year’s group of talent but they are nowhere near Candice. I know her album is generating mixed reviews but there are some vocal gems on it and if we want great singers to emerge from the show then she deserves support from AI fans.

18. Renee says:

I’m surprised that one or more of the judges was genuinely willing to use the save on Kristen – or really any of these three, but esp Kristen who’s not awful but was rightly in bottom three. Wouldn’t all of the judges want to save ‘the save’ for later if one of the stronger singers falls victim to a weak performance or bad voting week? Or do we think the ‘it was not unanimous’ was just to add drama. Inquiring minds…

• Country J. says:

I think that even the talk among the Judges was all for the script and drama. The producers already gave them an input on who they should and should not save. It’s also way to early to burn a save if the contestant is not getting a lot of social media buzz………… Our Idol watch group last night actually picked the bottom 3 correctly. We thought we would look daft when our scoring system picked MK in the bottom 3, but that’s how it turned out.

• Wrecking Ball says:

It was for drama. No one in their right mind was going to use a save on Kristen who? If it was reality… there would be no talking among them and Harry would of said …. bye bye! Don’t let the door hit you on your skinny minnie rear.

• tealeaves says:

None of the judges should have seriously considered saving her. It makes no sense. Someone has to go home every week. This was not a shocking result.

• In regards to Harry’s comment about the decision not being unanimous, I took it to mean ONLY that the judges had not decided unanimously to save Kristen. My reason for this interpretation is because Harry had, in the previous sentence, just explained that the decision to save a contestant MUST be unanimous rather than a simple majority. It never even occurred to me that he was suggesting anything else about how the judges actually voted among themselves, specifically that one or two of the judges actually wanted to use the save, until reading the reviews and comments online this morning. It’s amazing to me how differently people hear/see/interpret things. For the record: I can’t imagine the judges would have used the save at this point of the competition for anyone — it is first and foremost a tool for creating drama, so why “blow your load” (so to speak) so early? Personally, I just don’t see that happening but … guess we won’t know for sure until/if it actually happens.

• marie says:

I agree, Kevin, about Harry’s intent. I think maybe Harry chose to word it as “not unanimous” because that sounds kinder than “we’re not going to use the save for you,” while still conveying the decision.

• Gailer says:

I think they lied.

19. Stormy says:

The highlight of the show for me was Ryan’s Vince Fontaine bit at the end of the group sing. Perfect.

20. LeahKittyS says:

And now, a continuation of “American Idols and the Treasure of the Twelve Kingdoms” (Which I do have official permission to continue posting on here)

(Scene: the island of Solumager. The thirteen adventurers make their way through the jungle.)
    Jena: This is taking forever. Why aren’t we there yet?
    Majesty: Patience. We’ll get there eventually.
    Jena: Well, we’d go a lot faster if somebody didn’t keep stopping to collect flowers.
    Majesty: Oh, hush. We might never come back here. Besides, they could be useful. Now what are we looking for?
    M.K.: (Looking at the map) According to this, a carving of a tiger outlined in pink should mark the gate.
    Jessica: You mean like that? (Points to a carving of a pink tiger off to the side)
    M.K.: That’ll be the one. Good catch, Jess!
    (Everybody runs to the gate marked by the carving. They enter into a kingdom that is very dark and looks abandoned.)
    Emily: Wow, this is spooky. I wonder what happened here.
    Sam: (Reading a plaque on a tower in front of them) “Here stands the beacon of the kingdom of Phantomanos, domain of Queen Candice and the High Lady Kreetia.” Well, we’re in the right place.
    Kristen: Does the map say anything about how to find the treasure?
    M.K.: I don’t see anything. Somebody else want to take a look?
    Alex: I will. (Takes the map) Hmm. Oh, there it is. You have to hold the map at the right angle in the light. Next to the Twelfth Kingdom it says “Go inside and lay your finger on the window in the hall where the lords and ladies linger.”
    Ben: What the hell is that supposed to mean?
    Alex: Emily had a good point when she said this place was spooky. Legend has it the ghosts of the Royal Court of Eight, the lords and ladies who served Candice and Kree, are still haunting the palace. And where did they gather in the palace?
    Majesty: The courtroom! Of course! So when we find the window in the courtroom–
    Sam: The treasure will be right under it! Nice! (Fist-bumps Alex)
    (The thirteen of them run up the road to the abandoned palace. When they enter the courtroom, they find a table with ten chairs and two stools, and some fine tapestries.)
    Malaya: Man, why is it so dark in here?
    CJ: Because there’s no windows. So much for that theory.
    Caleb: Guys, you’re forgetting something. These kingdoms are ancient. Curtains hadn’t been invented yet. There had to be windows or everyone would’ve suffocated, but they blocked out the cold using… (Goes over to the largest tapestry and lifts it up, letting in light from the outside.)
    Dexter: Well, why didn’t I think of that?
    (Caleb then fingers the windowsill until he presses down a loose stone. The floor directly beneath loses a few bricks. They all look in the hole to find a box stuck in the dirt.)
    Alex: Well, it’s not gonna lift itself. Let’s get digging!
    (The guys set to digging while the girls admire the tapestry. The box comes flying out of the hole. Jessica catches it and opens it to reveal a brush, a pen, some paints, a palette, and some paper.)
    Jessica: The legend says Queen Candice was an artist. She would make sketches of all the important people and places in her life, so that when she was gone, their legacies wouldn’t be forgotten.
    Majesty: And so if someone tried to steal something or hurt someone on her watch, she would have a record of their face.
    Sam: Well, guys, we found the first Treasure of the Monarchs. Now let’s get out of here before those pirates show up!
    Ben: Uh, too late for that!
    (Sounds of pirates shouting and being destructive can be heard outside.)
    Black-beard: Leave no stone unturned, no house unchecked! Queen Candice thought she was so clever in hiding her treasure, but she never saw me coming!
    M.K.: Great. Now what do we do? If they see us coming out with the art kit, they’ll kill us!
    Alex: (Looking out the window) That’s odd. They’re staying away from the beacon tower. If one of us can get up there with the art kit, it should be safe. The door locks on the inside.
    Caleb: You know, that’s a great idea. And we can take it even further.
    Malaya: How so?
    Caleb: If we leave them with a little food and fuel, they can stay there for as long as they need. Ever kingdom has one of these towers. We’ll leave one person at each tower, guarding the treasure in case the pirates catch up to us again. Then when the last two get to the final kingdom, they’ll light the beacon, and each of us will light our own beacons to tell the guys back at the QUEEN HALEY that we found all the treasures!
    Majesty: Caleb, you’re a genius! (Hugs him)
    Emily: But wait! That means someone’s gonna have to give up their chance at being captain! Is that really fair?
    Kristen: No, it’s not. But it’s better than trying to carry the art kit out of Phantomanos with these pirates around. Getting to the beacon tower is less risky. I volunteer to stay behind.
    Jena: Are you sure?
    Kristen: No time for sure. They could come here any minute. Let’s get out!
    (They flee the palace and sneak over to the beacon tower, careful to avoid detection by the pirates. They see Kristen to the top of the tower, leave her with some of the food and fuel, and lock the door as they leave. CJ takes out the map.)
    CJ: (As they all run) Okay, the road past the well will take us to the next kingdom. Let’s move!
    TO BE CONTINUED…

• Name This Tune says:

I am glad that TVLine made the right call on this. And I hope that we will all remember the word tolerance.

• MaliaTheCoyote says:

this is great! I’m looking forward to posting the first installment of my own story soon. thanks for the encouragement

• tvlover44 says:

enjoyed this, leahkitty. and i especially loved the ‘ben’ parts – you have him down: “what the hell is that supposed to mean?” i even heard it in his voice…

• JoMarch says:

I didn’t read your post because I don’t read posts in comment sections that are longer than a few sentences because these are supposed to be opinions not novels. If you need to call attention o yourself in this manner, why don’t you start your own website?

• CandaceTX says:

co-sign

• While you (and any other reader) absolutely have the right to skip any online comment you come across for any or no reason whatsoever, I would just like to say that I feel differently about lengthy comments. So long as they are well-written (containing basic punctuation and not full of profanity and name calling), I enjoy the longer posts because they allow a greater development of the writer’s ideas and points. I don’t think there’s necessarily a “right” way to post online comments, but I can say I’ve seen a lot of posts written the WRONG way (IMO). Oh, and for the record, I don’t read LeahKitty’s posts, but that’s just because I don’t enjoy fan fiction. But I have no issue with it being here either

• dax cadez says:

here is my conclusion about your stories and your twisted desire to fan the flames of discontent, a skill that I am sure you perfected in High School………should I be forced to consider a lifetime of having to listen to Randy’s advice for 3 hours everyday for the rest of my life or simply spend one hour and one hour only locked in a room with you……………I would easily answer, “Hey Randy, please tell me what I can do to improve my performance.”

• Skip says:

I no likey fanfic.

• My Alter Ego says:

Miss LeahKitty, I’m enjoying this year’s story (although I can’t say that I’ve got the Pirates of the Caribbean theme embedded in my head yet). I particularly like that you have included prior contestants (Queen Haley, Queen Candice, High Priestess Kreetia, etc.). Very fun– looking forward to future installments.

• dax cadez says:

oh come on ego……I have been waiting for you to “suddenly pop up again” with that type of comment……..stop being so obvious……stop this game!

21. Jeremiah says:

Were last night’s performances released on iTunes? If so, are they still available? I’m doing a search for them, but can’t seem to find anything.

• LeahKittyS says:

The performances are not available on iTunes right now, but they should be soon. I have the American Idol app on my iPhone, and under each contestant’s bio, there is the option to “Buy Music.” Nothing is available yet, but I take that as a sign that they are coming soon. I remember often during Seasons 10 and 11 having to wait a few days after performance night to buy the songs.

22. waterbug says:

I wish Dexter had left. His weird diction and caterwauling stabs my last nerve. I can never make it through a whole song with him–it ends with the fast forward button–and I truly try to listen to the whole thing. Don’t get me wrong, it is good to see Kristen gone too, but recognize folks…it is time for Dexter to exit stage left along with the hyper tuba girl.next.

• Country J. says:

I doubt that Dexter will be eliminated next week, unless he makes a major flub. Another one of the girls will go down next week – .

• Mary says:

I am with you but Dexter got the good old country vote, which unfortunately he will be around. I will be totally shocked if it wasn’t another girl next week.

23. Evan says:

This week was a trainwreck. But one good thing: I love that there seems to be some variation to how the Idol stage is used this year. The lighting during Ben Briley and Alex Preston’s performances yesterday was classy and sharp. (The crazy board behind some of the others– not so much).

• Kylee says:

It wasn’t a trainwreck. The first five weren’t great, but the show picked up once MK performed. I don’t get the hate of some of the people here this season.

24. Stormy says:

Does anyone have any thoughts on what next week’s “Home” theme means? Love & family? Geography [farm, mountains, seaside]? Where the heart is [my heart’s at home with you]? Opens up all kinds of possibilities. You Belong To The City [Glen Frey], Gee It’s Good To Be Back Home Again [John Denver], Who Says You Can’t Go Home? [Bon Jovi]. I like it.

• deedee says:

Yup, probably all of the above and more. The themes are so wide open this year – why even bother having them?

• From the press release: Song selections can range from a song that was popular during their childhood to a tribute to their home state.

• Stormy says:

Then, on results night, I want Harry to sing “Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans?”, JLo to sing “Jenny From The Block”, Keith to sing “I Come From The Land Down Under” and guest star Carrie U. to sing “Oklahoma”.

25. Eurydice says:

No surprise about Kristen, but I was surprised to be disappointed in Candace’s performance. What I loved about her was the way she could modulate her powerful voice and the delicacy and intelligence of her musical choices. But this was the usual diva hollering with a side of screeching, as obvious as her overdone eye makeup. I admit I haven’t followed her career, but I remember that she was extraordinary, and I feel sad to think she might be ordinary now.

• tvlover44 says:

hmm… i’ve follwed candice from day 1 (on idol) and i thought her vocal performance tonight was sublime! as did my non-idol-watching and non-r&b-fan tv companion.

• brina says:

We DVR everything because of our schedules. We usually just listen to the performances and see who goes home on results night. It’s a good solid 15 minutes of TV when you fast forward. I had heard that Candace’s album sold only 19k when the worst idol album sells had been Lee with 39k. Honestly when the song came on after a minute or so I looked at my husband and pointed the remote and he shook his head yes and we just fast forwarded over her. The record sells now make sense, sorry I will not be buying. Hey, but maybe it just wasn’t our cup of tea. Incidentally we did not watch last season after the first few disaster episodes, so as someone being introduced to her that was our perspective. The Jake Bugg kid had an interesting voice for the first 15 seconds, but then it was like nails on chalkboard after a few seconds. So last night was a 5 minute episode for us. We did notice Candace’s songs aren’t playing in the background of the ‘goodbye’ segment….totally makes sense for us.

26. CaraR says:

Jake Bugg is horrible. The first time I saw him on a show I literally thought the audience was being punked. He is a more nasally Bob Dylan, without the good songs. Some record exec somewhere is pushing him HARD.

• Adam Fachry says:

He’s gotten more and more full of himself on his second album and thinks he’s the second coming of Dylan. But his first album is really worth checking out for. The dude’s young, but his choices in terms of songwriting shows a great promise. And I think that performance schooled this season’s WGWGs.

27. Laura Mipsome says:

Jake Bugg may be a bit of an acquired taste, but once I had a few bites I was hooked. When I heard Ryan say he was going to be performing I had to rewind twice to make sure that was really what he said… Jake is an amazing musician & songwriter, but I never would have expected Idol to pick up on him (even though a few of this year’s contestants have actually reminded me of Jake in different ways). He’s really fresh and honest, and despite being very young he is really able to convey sincere emotion through his music. And he also manages to draw on and reference musical styles from well before he was born and make them feel modern. These are all qualities that are expected of the Idol contestants every year.
    I just wish he could have played more songs!

• Adam Fachry says:

Right? Idol contestants (GWG or not), need to look up to this kind of artist. They’re young, yet their music references of the bygone era are vast and can apply them to their own craft, regardless of taking inspiration from or ripping off. Given your name is Laura, have you ever heard of Laura Marling? She’s like the female Jake Bugg only better imo. Pretty much the same age, from UK, and a singer-songwriter as well. Her latest album “Once I Was an Eagle” is imo, the best break-up album made by someone under 25 ever.

28. Kaba says:

Quick question, why is Jena’s voice so attacked?
    Everyone’s like “it’s so affected and blah” whereas I just hear someone with something of an accent while she sings along with a very..dense voice? Idk

• LeahKittyS says:

Who’s attacking Jena? I think she’s one of the better ones. I’m just a little jealous because I can’t hit the kind of notes she can so effortlessly.

• Kaba says:

I see a lot of “her voice is soo affected” or something along the lines of claiming she’s forcing her voice to sound the way it does.
        Then the screaming comments come into affect. It’s tiresome -___-

• LeahKittyS says:

That’s sad. I think she’s really good.

• Ally says:

She didn’t scream but she was at full belt the whole song, which is bad as a general rule, but made more vivid by the song selection. The Scientist would be better served by a more nuanced performance

• marie says:

That’s one of my problems with Jena: why turn the volume up to 11 all the time when 6 or 7 will do just fine? Maybe subtlety will come in time, but for now, you really don’t have to belt every darn note. Personally, neither am I enamored of her tone, which I find harsh and unpleasant; she’s just not my cup of tea. That’s not an attack, but an honest statement of taste.

• Name This Tune says:

I appreciate the unique quality of her vocals but at times it can be a bit unpleasant. I think she is still figuring things out and she seems to have a case of the nerves. Despite that she was in my top 6 and if she can find her comfort zone she has a chance to go far.

• brina says:

I think Jena has great potential…just needs to exercise more control from my perspective.

29. jane says:

The 3 weakest voices landed in the bottom. MK is interesting and I’m glad she is sticking around at least another weak, but her voice is just ok. Every song she has performed has sounded about the same. Her range is small and it doesn’t seem she has the pipes to push it any further. I’m not saying she has to be like Caleb or Jena, but she is going to have to show some kind of dynamic in her voice if she wants to stick around. Same thing goes for Sam. The judges keep talking about how is pitch is perfect. I hear plenty of wobbly notes and he still looks terrified to me. His performance last night wasn’t good. My votes are still with Majesty. Carolina girls gotta stick together!

• kcostell says:

Majesty and Sam both have the same problem — they’re great at what they do, but need to stretch themselves a bit more. Interesting to see the judges calling both of them out on it early this year instead of letting them just stay comfortable.

• Elizabeth says:

I just wanted to comment about MK. I feel like she has great potential to do really well. What she needs to do is bust out the guitar. She’s like a female Jason Castro. She doesn’t need to be a powerful singer. Also, I’ve seen comments about how she should either turn her baseball cap around or take it off. I disagree wholeheartedly. The baseball cap is a part of who she is. Like it or not, she’ll have it on because god forbid! She actually is being comfortable in her own skin!! The baseball cap isn’t really that big of a problem anyways. It’s just a baseball cap. That’s it. Build a bridge and get over it. She doesn’t need to take it off. If she’s comfortable with it on then, so be it. It’s great! I think she looks amazing. She needs to work on more important things like stage presence and her voice before she even dabbles with the thought of taking the cap off. I actually agree with Randy (for once) that MK is already starting to blossom. The stage presence comes with time too. She seems really shy so, putting MK on a time limit, “Oh, if MK doesn’t improve her stage presence in one or two weeks, she’s gone.” We are ONLY at top 12. Give the girl a chance. She has never performed in front of a live studio audience before and this is also ONLY her second live performance in general. What do you expect? You expect her to become outgoing and look like a superstar in one weeks time? Gosh. The whole point of Idol is to see someone grow throughout the competition. MK can’t grow if people don’t give her time to do that. She is actually really talented if people will just give her a few more weeks to become situated with everything.

30. Country J. says:

I see the Huffington Post article says that Fox is expected to lose money on Idol this year, due to high celebrity salaries — J. Lo 17.5 mil – Seacrest 15 mil, –5 mil in new staging set and lower ratings.

• ben says:

Lets me clear here – the Huffington Post was reporting an article posted on TMZ, which is far from the most reliable source on the planet. It’s probable their source was someone who had half the facts (ie ‘what we spend on JLo’ and ‘what we get in revenue based on particular ratings’ etc) and had come to a quick conclusion by themselves with some basic maths. It’s unlikely to have been a source within the Fox accounting division that actually knew what they were talking about.

Having said that – Jlo may well be too expensive long term, but the set is a one off cost and JLO is only signed for the one season, so there is no reason to presume a loss making enterprise in season 13 would also be in season 14. It’s also hard to know what other profits are factored in to this show. Not to mention it has frequently earned more in advertising revenue than the average show with similar ratings.

• Name This Tune says:

So let’s be real here. The show used to pull in 30 million viewers. In those days, Idol was charging Super Bowl rates for its ads.
      A good week now is 10 million. Most shows will still be renewed with 10 million viewers. But the show does have to adjust its budget to reflect the lower revenue it generates. It’s not paying the singers a lot of money so maybe it needs to cut salary somewhere else.

• S. says:

They wouldn’t be running the show to lose money. It simply isn’t true. It has to generate money for them somehow. If the show was actually projected to lose money that it didn’t make up somehow through something else Fox values, it would not be on the air. They’re not talking like this could be the last year, in fact they have shifted from this being the Fox crown jewel to being a useful piece of their schedule into the future. That indicates that there are to be more seasons. This isn’t a charity thing. American Idol’s making money. Has to be. They also invested a lot in a new stage and it doesn’t seem that they actually thought the ratings would shoot up. This stage is to be reused for the future and the 5 million (assuming that’s accurate) won’t apply to next season’s cost.

• Leah says:

why do they need JLo to get viewer’s anyway? No one I know cares about JLo. Most Idol watchers would rather have a former contestant in the chair than JLo. She’s nice and all, but WAY overpriced, and I think they could get by a lot cheaper by hiring someone else who would probably do a much better job.

• Name This Tune says:

Of course they’re not talking about the salaries of Harry and Keith, who each receive 5 million dollars. JLo’s 17.5 million is expensive, but the truth is that is the cost of getting a big name female on the panel. Mariah was getting that much. XTina was getting around that much on The Voice. Her male counterparts get about 6 million dollars.
        I don’t see any advantage in having a big name female singer on the panel. I am okay withthem ccutting that salary.

• Name This Tune says:

I did a little research on this topic. Just 2 years ago, Fox was charging 500 hundred thousand dollars for a 30 second spot. In a typical week, with a 2 hour episode and a one hour results night, that’s about 5 million dollars. A 16 week season puts revenue at about 86 million dollars. There is the revenue from Ford, Coca Cola, and AT& The for their sponsorship.
        This season, AT&T has dropped its sponsorship. Fox is just charging 310,000 dollars for a 30 second spot. This works out to 53 million dollars for a 16 week season. Idol is paying the 3 judges 28 million dollars. Add 15 million for Ryan and salaries for 4 people is about 43 million dollars. There are other production costs that goes with the show.
        I doubt that the TMZ story is very far off the truth. Idol may clear a profit but ratings can’t continue to fall.

• Name This Tune says:

One more thought. The X Factor was canceled with 7.5 million viewers and ad revenues of 180,000 dollars for a 30 second spot.

• tealeaves says:

When did X-Factor have 7.5 million viewers? 2 episodes got to that point last season, and they were early in the season. It had many shows with less than 5 million viewers in its last season.
            Also, Simon was not going to be an on-air judge again and for that show his presence was important.

• tealeaves says:

Ugh, sorry for the double post. The first one took a while to show up and I thought maybe it was pulled because it had a link in it.

• Name This Tune says:

Google something called the top 91 TV shows ad rates. It’s for last fall. The X Factor sits in the top 15. But it also lost sponsorship from GM and Pepsi. .Idol has been able to keep Ford and Coca Cola.

Idol is only #2 to Sunday night football. But football is billing ad rates of 590,000 dollars.

• Name This Tune says:

The Voice was billing out at 295,000 for a 30 second spot last fall. With roughly the same salaries for the 4 mentors. But I doubt that Carson Daly gets 15 million dollars.

• Name This Tune says:

For something to really make you sick. Randy Jackson, 10 million dollars. I hope that is last year. Because that puts the salary for the 5 biggest names on the show at 53 million dollars. And we haven’t even paid the band or the camera crew.

31. trimaran12 says:

The problem, in a nutshell, is there is no contestant that people are talking about. That one hypothetical contestant can fuel a whole season. There’s no Clarkson, Aiken, Daughtry, Cook, or Lambert. A contestant that people are talking about that makes everyone else want to watch the show to see what that person is doing.
    No “watercooler” contestant, if you like that term. If you don’t have that type of contestant, the rest of the performers need to step it up and be fun and interesting. So far, in my opinion, this has not happened.

• Wrecking Ball says:

Don’t forget Sanjaya… he was water cooler talk too.

• Stormy says:

True. Sometimes it’s mutual dislike of a contestant that sparks dialog.

• Donna says:

It was reported that Carrie Underwood won the most public votes every week on Idol and Alex £ Sierra did on X-Factor. Would they be considered “water cooler”, too, or just well liked?

• Ally says:

I think the producers wasted their water cooler talk on surprising cuts in the first live show when they got rid of some of the contestants with some semblance of buzz, leaving behind others who could barely generate any beyond “why?”

• Emma says:

I agree and I think the producers should really be more cognizant of that. It seems to me the contestants being mentioned the most online as the ones people were excited to follow, were all cut.

• Kylee says:

Oh please, I feel like I hear this every season. I think Alex or Majesty could be this seasons “watercooler” contestant. And MK was pretty watercooler with her coming out.

• twnkltoze says:

Don’t forget about Hicks. Love him or hate him. He single-handedly MADE Season 5. No season has come close except for Lambert’s season.

• tealeaves says:

I disagree Hicks MADE season 5. I disagree season 8 was the next best season.

• Mary says:

I’m with you. I wasn’t a faithful die hard in season 5 because I knew Taylor was going to win. He was entertaining to a degree but not my cup of tea. For me he was a lounge singer not a recording artist, which is fine, and he is happy doing just that. My favorite seasons were 1 and 8.

• SS says:

Even now years later whenever I hear the name of Taylor Hicks, the first thing that always comes to my mind is Simon’s comment about him reminding him of the drunk uncle who gets on stage and starts singing during a wedding reception, lol.

• Gailer says:

Lol thanks for reminding me and for reminding me who made this show what it was, simon cowell. :)

• JJL says:

Ha! I wasn’t watching that year but that’s literally the most accurate (and funny) description of T. Hicks. And I don’t dislike him he just did always strike me as the Radisson lounge guy or the office karaoke night out.

• marie says:

It’s very early. Someone may emerge yet. That said, can’t say I personally have a firm favorite yet.

• tealeaves says:

I think it is still early for water cooler moments. I think Majesty is fantastic, Alex, Gena, and Jessica all have high potential for water cooler moments, and even SAM could have one if he grows in stage presence and everything clicks one week. IMO those 5 are all very strong performers.

• waterbug says:

Totally agree!

32. LeahKittyS says:

It’s kind of funny. I went to a hockey game at school a few weeks ago, and the opposing team’s goalie was an O’Connor. Once during the game, the student section called out “O’Connor…O’Connor…O’Connor…You Suck!” I couldn’t help but flash back to that whenever I watched Kristen perform. Is that mean?

33. Lauren says:

I liked the show. Jake Bugg and Candice were both good and the right person was eliminated for a change. I also liked the segment following the contestants after the show. I didn’t like seeing MK in the Bottom 3 but it will be a nice wake up call for both her and Malaya to bring their A game next time or else. I think we need to lose one of those mediocre male country singers. Isn’t 3 a little excessive for a Top 13?

• Country J. says:

I am familiar with some of Jake Bugg’s music/songwriting — I enjoy most of it, as it’s something different from the canned pop-rap stuff you hear on top 40 Pop stations these days. He does bring some originality in his lyrics and song styles. I was surprised to see him on Idol, so a deal must have been cut with E19. ………..There’s very little originality in most top 40 music anymore and it is a very controlled play list by TPTB in radio, in cooperation with the major labels.

34. brandon says:

Man, I really liked Kristen. Can we please get rid of these country guys soon? Or are we doomed to have them as our top 3?

• Timmah says:

The new voting system hasn’t changed the fact that the majority of viewers and voters are women, so yeah I think we’re stuck with a country boy winner this year.

• twnkltoze says:

Lord I hope not. Both are fun but none of them are really captivating or even great singers. They’ll start dropping off as soon as MK, Emily and CJ are gone. I think Malaya is going to come back strong after this.

• waterbug says:

Please say it isn’t so Timmah! If that happens I will not make it to the finals.

• LeahKittyS says:

“Are we doomed to have them as our Top 3?” Nope. Not while Majesty, Alex and Sam are still in the competition.

• tvlover44 says:

and, i personally would add, caleb to this list. perusing various fan sites and comments last night, i found many who agreed with me that caleb was one of the best, and loads of folks who said they threw some votes his way.

• tealeaves says:

Lets not forget that during rush week, several of the favored female contestants were not even allowed to sing. Once again the judges/producers put thru females based on the look they wanted and not so much based on how memorable a singing performance the contestant will give.

35. Country J. says:

imo – when the first Country guy gets told to exit, stage left — most of his faithful voters will switch to another Country contestant. That should keep the country influence going for a while. The next 2 out will likely be girls.

• Timmah says:

I would guess the next 4 or 5 out will be girls. Only Majesty and possibly Jessica are likely to survive the bloodbath.

• tvlover44 says:

yeah, and imagine how the whole save debating might come into play if/when one of the more popular girls is in the bottom. (let me clarify – i mean ‘popular’ as in with the fans, versus someone like kristen who was never many folks’ favorite – hell, she wasn’t really on anyone’s radar going into the top 30, right?)

• tealeaves says:

JLo said she was very upset that Malaya was in the bottom three. I expect some drama if Malaya is voted off in the next couple of weeks. JLo will fight for her.

• Stormy says:

Malaya needs to be the next to go. I listen to her, but can’t watch. Her performances border on epileptic.

36. tony says:

Totally agree about Alex/Majesty final two! I had the same feeling when I saw them together. I think unless Sam can start getting better, Alex will soon overshadow him, propelling him straight to the finale.

What I love about this season though is that I have no clear fave yet. I have like 5 or 6 that I genuinely love.

• MamaLis says:

I was wondering the same thing. Alex just may be the underdog.
      Though I’ve been on his bandwagon since Day One. HUGE talent.
      And Majesty is just a sweet little cupcake. So darling.

37. Tahoe Mike says:

Why is Randy still on my TV? He gets even more screen time now than he did as a judge! They promised that he was leaving and he didn’t, I genuinely feel lied to and betrayed. I was so happy when they said he was gone.
    ~
    I’d rather have seen Malaya go. I’d probably rather have seen Ben in the bottom three than MK, I really didn’t care for his version of “Folsom Prison Blues.”
    ~
    I find myself really fixated on those stupid ball caps that MK wears. They make her look like a Justin Bieber wannabe. That can’t be what she is going for, can it?
    ~
    Candice sounded great, but she looked as big as a house. Yikes. I’m not sure anyone on this years show is of her quality.
    ~
    I like Jake Bugg. I like the way he plays, and his groove. I like his song “Lighting bolt,” and kind of hoped he would play that tonight. I’d not heard the song he did tonight, but I thought it was cool. I am old and hopelessly out of touch with what is new and hip, but I had actually heard of this kid before; and that gave me some kind of hope that I’m not completely out of it yet.
    ~
    I still hate the judges save. Why is it that the bad ideas are the hardest to kill? If only they could save us from Randy.

• MamaLis says:

Ya, MK has to lose the baseball caps, AGREED! Her features are so delicate and lovely, it’s almost like she wants to negate them. But she could still do the masculine suit kinda-thing and juxtapose it with her delicate face and short hair. Like an Annie Lennox. Annie used to pull it off famously!

• twnkltoze says:

Completely agree but she may dislike being so pretty and feminine and wants to cover it up. Perhaps being butch suits her better. But you’re right, she can still be butch and lose the hat AND also pull up her pants. Sam Woolf could do with a makeover too. Can’t wait to see what the stylists do with his hair. It will happen gradually. Case in point. Taylor Hicks.

• Adam Fachry says:

I knew you’d love Bugg, Mike. I remember last season you mentioned a lot of 60s-70s artists, so it’s no surprise to find you enjoying him. Are you familiar with Laura Marling? She’s like a female Jake Bugg but better imo.

• Adam Fachry says:

One more thing about Jake Bugg: this guy has the kind of tone that reminds me of Briston Maroney’s. That late 60s-early 70s folk tone that may sound nasal at first, but captivating when given the right material to sing.

Anyway, I’ve been hyping this guy so much that I forgot about the return of Candice Freakin’ Glover. Honestly, I don’t care about the fact that Music Speaks doesn’t sell well. I just wanna see Candice at her best self through her music. During the show, even at her most underwhelming, Candice’s voice still moved me with the tiniest aspects such as her nuanced use of rasp, seamless demonstration of vigorous belting to tender falsetto, and brassy upper-register imbued with roaring alto. All of which hasn’t highlighted that well on her album. Cried is arguably one of the few songs that understands her aesthetic, and kudos to Jazmine Sullivan for writing it. It’s really a pleasure to be reminded of her skilled vocal delivery tonight and how I wish such a talent could be translated into recording. Hence why she needs to find a producer who knows how to handle an authentic powerhouse soul artist like her stat.

• waterbug says:

OMG Tahoe…on more than one of your points you said what I was thinking! I love a good cleansing laugh in the morning.

38. Dan says:

I know it’s supposed to be sweet, like “look at your fans!,” but showing the Facebook pictures of those who voted for the worst singer just seemed like public shaming ;)

39. Trisha26 says:

Don’t judge Jake Bugg by tonight’s performance. Check out the album on itunes. It’s retro, rockabilly, folk, and pretty cool. (Not a Miley quote.)

• Emma says:

I was surprised to see on the itunes chart this morning that Jake Bugg got a much bigger boost from his appearance on idol than reigning champ Candice Glover did.

40. AEvangelista says:

Candice Glover’s “Cried” is a technically extremely difficult song to sing, especially live.

41. analythinker says:

This is totally off-topic, but I dreamed about everyone on this board arguing about Idol vs The Voice. Everyone has a face too in the dream.

Maybe it’s time to admit I read this board a little too much :D

42. Jane Doe says:

Anyone else think the around the dinner table conversation was scripted?

43. NedPepper says:

The girls are going to be systematically taken out again, while boring scrubs like Dexter and Ben just sail through. Seriously, Dexter is just a karaoke singer. And Slezak, I couldn’t disagree more about Bugg. Voice was unique. Had a presence and will sell a lot more records probably than Candace Glover. (Not taking anything away…but as great as she can sing, those songs just weren’t working for me.)

44. twnkltoze says:

I completely agreed with the bottom three and elimination. Malaya was on AI crack. You don’t have to go 100mph 24/7. You’re here for a singing competition not auditioning for a sitcom. MK. decent vocals but BORING. Infuse a little personality next week and please ditch that stupid hat and pull up your damn pants. It’s okay if people know you’re a girl. it’s not going to damage your butchness. Kristin. Out of her league and her mouth reminds me of a blow up doll’s mouth. Distracting. I think the remaining two will change their game up next week because they are both capable of much better.

45. Candace was so boring, good lord, I had forgotten how last season all anyone did was stand at the mike and sing. She also had on enough makeup for about 30 girls. I was disappointed to say the least. I ended up FFing through two thirds of her runs, I mean performance.
    I had Dexter in MK’s place, but MK has no stage presence or charisma so I shouldn’t be surprised. Knew Kristen was going home. Jake, wow, another opportunity to fast forward. Not impressed.

46. Kylee says:

Its funny how people here still complain even though we have contestants with a lot of personality, NEW and contemporary music, less ballads than last year and a diverse group in genre. I guess people are hard to please sometimes. I think after so many seasons its hard for the contestants to live up to everybody’s favorite “moment” so they crucify them if they are less than stellar. I think its a great group this year, and many agree with me. I hated the rush week twist, but if you look past that, there is some good talent this year in Majesty, Jessica, Caleb, Alex, and Sam. I don’t get it.

• Lauren says:

I actually like this season a lot! I think they have a nice diversity of talent, the judges are so much better, the song selections have been better and I love the new set / stage. For next season I think they just need to rework the Rush Week concept a bit (maybe just let 12 girls and 12 guys through and let them ALL sing for votes like they used to) and get rid of Randy and they’ll be all set.

• claudia says:

You’re right about those 5 but some of the others are not that good & much better people went home (from what we got to see). That’s what we are complaining about. But hopefully the bad ones will be eliminated & then the season will get good. I only hope both girls AND guys will get eliminated. Right now I want the final 2 to be Alex & Majesty (that could change) but I don’t want Majesty to be the last girl in the final 6.

47. Alex&CalebTOP2 says:

Alex for the WIN!

48. DavidSask says:

Randy Jackson needs to get the f@@k off this show, there is reason this show continues to get worse!!! The bulls@@t of the show where they are going to profile discovering stars for guest performances you have no such validity!!!

49. ben says:

Harry said, more or less, ‘the save needs to be unanimous, and it was not unanimous’. I took that to mean, ‘we did not unanimously decide we would save you’. I also took it to mean ‘and I make no comment about whether any of us voted to save you at all’. Of course no-one voted to save Kristen. Harry’s comment was worded like a lawyer to me lol, he never said they didn’t unanimously agree NOT to save her, he just sort of implied it.

50. Debbie M. says:

Why, oh why, does Joshua Ledet not have an album out yet? A duet with him and the sublime Candice Glover would make my life complete.