Nashville Recap: OK, You Can Go Ahead and Put Dirt on My Grave Now

Nashville Season 2 RecapLamar Wyatt, I owe you an apology.

Sure, you probably murdered your wife and you definitely had a hand in Peggy’s death, and you seemed able to love only one of your daughters at a time. Bygones! I (and, I’m guessing, a slew of Nashville viewers) am willing to overlook those regrettable character flaws for the miracle your death has wrought: two whole scenes in the same episode where Deacon and Rayna make an emotional connection. Hallelujah!

Now, even though those scenes may not bring about the immediate rekindling of the former lovers’ passion, they are certainly a step in the right hot direction. Meanwhile, the rest of the very good episode finds Juliette dipping her toes in Taylor Swift’s lifestyle and Scarlett using her desperation as a come-on – and it works!

Let’s review what went down in “They Don’t Make ‘Em Like My Daddy Anymore.”

RELATED | ‘Ship Shape: How Your Fave Pairs From NashvilleGirls, Blacklist and Other Shows Are Faring

LOS ANGELES CALLING | Avery plays Juliette the version of “Don’t Put Dirt on My Grave Just Yet” he produced, and she loves it. “It feels like you put my soul in there,” she says, happy for all of two seconds before remembering that she’s without a record company and basically screwed. But he points out that “The New York Times just called you a serious artist” in a recent piece about her Opry debut, and that’s enough to put her in the mood for some daytime lovin’.

Glenn has the misfortune of walking in on Juliette and Avery under the covers – I did love how Avery shot off the bed like a high school sophomore getting caught by his girlfriend’s dad – but his reason for barging in is good: Producer-to-the-stars Howie V got wind of Juliette’s new single, and he wants her to come to Los Angeles for a meeting. Everyone’s excited, though Avery’s a little shaken up that Glenn saw him about to make Ju’s SheDaisy bloom. “Oh, he’s seen worse,” she says, dismissing Avery’s modesty with a hilarious wave of her hand and making me long for Glenn’s eventual memoir, My Eyes, My Eyes, My Eyes Are a Telescope: What I Can’t Un-See From My Years With Juliette Barnes.

GLENN GETS THE MESSAGE | In L.A., Howie V (Orange Is the New Black‘s Michael Chernus) is the stereotypical name-dropping dude you’d expect him to be, the kind of guy who makes sure Juliette hears him say to an assistant, “Hey, make sure that Sasha and Malia got those Rihanna tickets.” He has her record “Dirt on My Grave” with a huge orchestra and dangles the idea of a Rolling Stone cover, going so far as to spring for a tryout photo shoot that has Ju trussed up like Cruella DeVil as interpreted by Lady Gaga.

It’s all very attractive to Ms. Barnes, who could use a win, but even she can’t overlook the fact that Howie wants to strip the twang out of her voice and turn her into a Los Angeles-based pop star. And her concerns only grow when Glenn decides he’s taken her as far as he can go. “I gotta get out of the way and let you be a superstar,” he says, kissing her on the forehead and nearly losing it as he resigns as her manager. (Nice work there, Ed Amatrudo.)

RELATED | ABC Pilot Scoop: Viola Davis to Star in Shonda Rhimes’ How to Get Away With Murder

LATER, LAMAR | Back in Nashville, Teddy delivers the news that Lamar died in his office, and together he and Rayna tell the girls. Rayna = stoneface. When Tandy and her saucy new ‘do show up, thinking Rayna wants to make peace, she’s devastated to hear their father has gone to that Scotch distillery in the sky. Tandy sobs, despite the fact that their dad was not a great guy overall. Still, Rayna = face you make while waiting for your nails to dry at the salon.

Meanwhile, Deacon can’t find a band to back him up on a last-minute gig, so Gunnar, Zoey and Avery happily fill in. And they’re really good! (Side note: I kinda need that “I ain’t leaving without your love” song on my iPod ASAP.) The bunch of them up on stage are such a success that Deke has the three young’uns open for him at The Bluebird the next night, something that makes Scarlett feel so sad and left out that she crashes on a couch at the recording studio rather than encounter her uncle the next morning.

SLEEPING BOOTY | Instead, it’s Liam who finds Scarlett passed out at the studio. She confesses that aside from their work, she’s got nothing going on in her life. And even though it’s a bad idea, and despite the fact that he’s going off to “wherever you’re going” soon (it’s called Westeros, Scarlett), she finishes the kiss he initiated earlier in the episode. After a short break during which he establishes that her morning breath is not too heinous to proceed (I kid, but isn’t that what it looked like?), they continue making what’s likely a really bad decision.

RELATED | Connie Britton: I’m OK With No Friday Night Lights Movie

DEACON DOES THE RIGHT THING | A text from Maddie alerts Deacon to Lamar’s passing, and before you can say “soulmate,” he’s on the phone with a stoic Rayna – who’s still insisting she’s handling everything without problems and doesn’t need help. “You’re not fine, OK? I know you’re not fine,” he says, asking if she wants him to come over. I’m guessing Deke doesn’t hear me yelling “Yes! Go! Gooooooo!” at the TV, because he abides by her wishes to stay put. But they both agree that he should be at the funeral.

And just like we knew he would, Deacon stops by Rayna’s house the night before the funeral, where she’s still putting up an unbreakable front. When she does show some emotion, it’s anger at how many lies her father and Tandy sat on for years. “Sometimes, people do the wrong things for the right reasons,” Deacon gently nudges her, getting points for not blatantly finishing that sentence with, “like the time you forgot to tell me I had a daughter for 13 years.”

And while all of this is going on, Teddy summons Megan to his office to confess that he watched Lamar die and did nothing to stop it. Interesting that Megan gets home muuuuuuch later than Deke does, isn’t it?

BLINK AND YOU MISS IT | Lamar’s actual graveside service gets about 15 seconds of screentime, but we should note that Juliette is there to support her former tour partner. Later, we see that Ju has made up her mind about Howie V’s plan: She’s turning it down. “You’re not quitting,” she happily tells Glenn – who looks just as pleased that she’s come to that decision — adding that people like Jeff and Howie keep telling her who she should be, and she thinks she’s the best judge of that.

The mood is far darker in Lamar’s study, where Rayna pours herself some booze and then smashes the decanter, the glass and everything else within reach before she collapses in sobs. Teddy and Tandy run in to find her in a pile on the ground. “All the lying,” she gulps, “has to stop!”

Now it’s your turn. What did you think of the episode? Are we yay or nay on the Scarlett-Liam situation? Did Megan file Teddy’s legal briefs, if you know what I mean? And are you with me that Deacon and Rayna are inching back together? Sound off in the comments!

1. Riana says:

Liam makes Scarlett interesting with interfering with Juliette and Avery or Rayna and Deacon. I like it. If the show gets renewed, make that guy a regular. Speaking of regulars, where was Will?

2. Forwardad says:

Nice recap. Since Megan is on another show (can’t remember which one) she’ll be leaving soon. Will she take Teddy with her?

• Jillian says:

That would be an incredible gift from the Nashville gods. Every time a death is teased I hope it’s Teddy and I am always disappointed.

• Isobel says:

Sea of Fire, though it’s apparently a TV movie, so maybe she won’t leave, but she and Deacon are going to break up anyway and I don’t think anyone would care about her and Teddy being a couple

• We should all start a ‘Save Eric Close’ campaign and get him re-cast on another show. (Unless he shows up on Suits again, but that’s just a guest star role.) He deserves better than the role of Teddy.

3. Margaret says:

Zoey, Avery & Gunnar, sounding a bit like Gloriana, but that was an awesome song! I like their vibe & their sound, more than I initially thought I would.

4. Shira says:

Deacon, dude, if you start a sentence with “we need to talk”, continue it with ” I went to see Rayna” and the woman you’re talking to is Megan, the only way to end such sentence is ” We had sex on the kitchen counter. She is the love of my life and we need to breakup”. Understood?

• Willowan says:

You have completely nailed it, and should be writing for the show!

If you want to write alternate love interests, they should, at least be compelling enough that viewers might be a wee bit conflicted.

I wasn’t a big Stacy fan, but, Susan Misner and Chip, had a kind a warm chemistry.

Deacon and Megan are so boring, there are couples that have been married for 50 years, that generate more heat!

• Shira says:

Thank you very much. Do you think I can pitch that?

I also liked the vet (and the puppy).

Deacon and Megan are really boring together but to be fair, Deacon was a mess (hot mess but still a mess) when they met and this relationship helped him get back on his feet and then some.
        But still would have preferred if he had just gone to a therapist instead of sleeping with one. Because Megan may be a lawyer but she acts like a therapist. Think that the scene in bed showed there’s a breakup in the horizon since they both had something to hide.

If only I could have said the same thing about the other insignificant other -Luke.

And yes, the Rayna and Deacon scene in the kitchen (which was fantastic I think) should have ended with them having hot grief/angry sex on the kitchen counter. It only make sense…I mean he refused tea, Not having sex is just rude.

• MA says:

Right?! I got excited for a minute thinking he was about to dump her, and then it ended in kissing. WTF?!

• Shira says:

YES!! The ONLY times I get excited when Deacon is with Megan (or Rayna with Luke) is when I think they gonna break up. Megan is a substitute for a therapist and Luke and Rayna…it’s not a relationship-it’s a corporate merger!

• Tina B. says:

Hahaha! I really thought he was going to break up with her! Oh well, he will after he finds out she slept with Teddy

• Hahahhahahha – this killed me, hilarious and very true! :)

5. Shira says:

Connie Britton for performer of the week. Queen of everything.

6. GeoDiva says:

Love the new trio! Is it wrong that I don’t feel bad that Scarlet is left out?

7. P says:

I’m not on board with basically anything Scarlett has done this season, and this Liam thing isn’t helping matters in the slightest(although, in fairness, she was pretty funny when she was on the pills last episode). I keep wanting to hate her for her woe is me BS, but then I relisten to her classics and just want that girl back.

She feels so abandoned by Gunnar, Deacon, Zoey, and Avery, but she thinks the devil-may-care Rock Star producer is the answer to her prayers? Look at your life choices Scarlett!

• Ron says:

Agreed, Scarlett has become my least favorite character. She’s sooooo weak. First Avery, then Gunner, and then Avery again. And now just because she”s feeling a little lonely, she sleeps with Liam. And I thought Juliet slept with alot of guys. The music last night was great, Deacon’s song, then the trio of Gunner, Zoey, and Avery.

• Paloma says:

I agree. Not really enjoying Scarlett this season. The irony is that even though she feel abandoned by Gunnar, Zoe and Avery, Scarlett was actually the one who abandoned them. And they all kept trying to be her friend and she just wouldn’t have any of it. Even last night, if she had walked into the Bluebird and had been proud of them and said so, I think they would have enveloped her into the fold once again. All these bad choices are Scarlet’s alone. And last season I never got the impression that she was anything like this. I miss the old Scarlet. She was the grounded one.

Really loved Zoe, Avery and Gunnar singing last night and would happily listen to that song a few more times. Rayna James … get out your contract book and sign this trio. And Juliette while you are about it.

• tygr48 says:

I absolutely agree with you in that Scarlett is not acting as mature as she should be acting in this situation. But, quite frankly, if I were her, I would never forgive Zoey and Gunnar. They were two people who genuinely cared for her and they went behind her back and slept with eachother right after she broke up with Gunnar. She found out when she caught them. And they both just kept seeing each other and Gunnar especially hasn’t shown any remorse. After doing what he’s done, it was naive of him to think that Scarlett would agree to sing with him for Kelly Clarkson. I hold my girl friends to a higher standard than boys since I’m a female (lol) and I deeply cherish the female relationships that I have. Girl code is very serious and Zoey broke it even after seeing the connection that Scarlett and Gunnar had when they sang their song in the season 2 premiere. What Zoey and Gunnar did was disrespectful and despite how all over place Scarlett’s character has been, she doesn’t deserve to be treated like that. I’m fine with Scarlett making amends with Avery since he at least made sure that they both were good before going after Juliette.

• Suzanne says:

Thank You!!!!!!! I loved Scarlett at the beginning of the show and her romance with Gunnar as well as the music they made was such a highlight and something to look forward to. Now I just don’t get her. I know she has some emotional baggage, but she has turned from all of the people who care about her.

8. sladewilson says:

I need that song also – STAT!!! That group is going to be interesting – plus I’m starting to like Gunnar and Zoey as a couple (even though you can see the beginnings of the end there….)

9. Whatevah says:

I’m going to type this every freaking week hoping the Nashville writers will get it…more Juliette and Rayna please!

10. Amy H says:

I LOVED this episode. The music was great, and we want more! Rayna and Deacon are slowly inching back towards each other — always a plus. I was even able to tolerate Scarlett although I am getting tired of the “poor me” attitude. You’ve got a darn record contract, and our your own worst enemy! Get over it.

11. DT says:

Besides the Rayna and Deacon scenes, my favorite in the episode was Juliette watching Avery on stage at The Blue Bird. The look in her eyes and that smile just bursting which such giddiness affirmed that they are my favorite couple on TV right now that is actually together!

• Carrie says:

Thank You! I love Juju and Avery – this is the couple I wanted to happen since Episode 1 when she bumped into him. They bring out the best in each other – and when they sat down to catch up after his performance their mutual support of each other was so sweet and mature. Loved how she would rather talk to him about his success than vent about her experience in LA. Adorable couple. Need them to do more songs together stat. Also loving Gunner and Avery’s bromance and new band.

• Suzanne says:

I love Avery. He sort of wandered off during the first season into bad boy territory, but hasn’t he turned out to be the most grounded person in the entire ensemble. I love him with Juliette and I want them to stay together. I hope Scarlett finds her way back to this group. They can help her and give her the love and support she needs. Please hurry and put ddeacon and Rayna back together and as much as I like Zoey, she broke the girl code and I think there is a hidden agenda there that we don’t know about yet. I want Gunnar back together with Scarlett.

12. JJ says:

Juliette and Avery were definitely the cutest in this episode. I actually didn’t hate Scarlett and Liam, but maybe that’s because I really don’t hate Liam with anyone, and he made her more interesting. I love how Deacon and Rayna just fall right back into their normal relationship whenever anything big happens. Him rushing to her side when Lamar had the first heart attack, then trying to be there for her now despite the fact she didn’t want to admit she was upset. Though there definitely needed to be at least a hug in that scene. And maybe I’ve only been half watching this season, but when did Megan move in with Deacon? She must have a fancy lawyer apartment somewhere right? I don’t randomly show up at my boyfriends at 3:30 in the morning after being out with another guy all night. You only do that if you’re married/live together.

13. Love me some Deacon! says:

That was a great episode!

14. wrstlgirl says:

Well I’m sure I’m going to Nashville fan hell for this but that final scene with Rayna breaking down was laughable. Literally. I didn’t feel it at all. Sorry, I love Connie Britton but this was not her best work. She was perfect for all her other scenes but they should have practiced that final scene a few more times.

• CoryRox says:

^^^^This. The throwing stuff was awesome, but the crying on the floor…just no.

• Shira says:

Yes, you are going to Nashville fan hell. Say hi to Peggy and Lamar :)

• JJ says:

No, you’re right, Total overacting. I think Connie is much better at subtle scenes than big emotional things. Or at least she needs someone to play off of. That scene was laughable, but I also blame the director and fact that there’s never enough time in ANY scene in this show to have proper emotional buildup. This has always been the show’s problem. Too many characters = scenes that are way too short where viewers can’t get properly invested.

• Amie says:

I thought the same thing. Like, Connie is usually wonderful, but that scene was just silly…

• Ella says:

I totally agree, the scene was so off base. It needed direction.
      I do not like Liam, sorry everyone. His hair looks like it needs washing. And so tired of Scarlet, I felt no pity for her last night. She ran off all her friends. I am happy there was more music in the episode. I think Nashville needs to get back to its roots, the music, and leave out some of the drama. Juliette and Avery were great!

• Love me some Deacon! says:

Thank you! Thank you, Ella! I can’t stand Liam either! I have been wondering why everyone thinks he’s so hot, but to me he just looks greasy and he always just kind of skanks around. I thought last night he was really playing the pity card on Scarlet about his lonely life. He relies on booze and drugs to get the women and he shows no emotions whatsoever. And this is kind of strange for me to be saying, but in my personal life I’ve always liked my guys a little on the scruffy side, but Liam takes it way too far. Ewwwggghhhhh!

• wrstlgirl says:

Avery is actually making me like Juliette which is saying a lot. I hate spoiled little whiny brats, LOL. But unfortunately, they are too cute together and happy which means something bad is just around the corner.

15. Tina B. says:

YES! More Deacon & Rayna please! Love the new trio and the band idea and Juliette fan girl was so cute! My wish going forward: Rayna break up with Luke and Deacon break up the lawyer cheating chick and get back to Rayna/Deacon hotness!!! Rayna signs the new trio AND Juliette to Highway 65 and give Juliette creative control. Love this show!

16. Boiler says:

Hope ratings for the show improve or we may not see much of Deacon and Rayna. I’d like to see it get a hot on Sunday but in place of what??

• Lisa says:

Sunday night has always had a hole for ABC. The Sunday 10 PM slot is where Nashville has belonged since the beginning.

• Shira says:

So true! And their huge playback gain just proves it. It’s not that people don’t love Nashville, it’s just that for their audience Wednesday night is not a good time. Bet most of te playback viewers watch it in a Sunday anyway…

17. Amie says:

My worry is that they are finally moving things in a decent direction (Megan shuffling on over to Teddy, Rayna and Deacon back in each other’s lives, Juliette and Avery happy together, Gunnar, Zoey and Avery performing as a group and finding a mid-level success that suits them, Deacon’s solo career taking off, nobody doing anything with Jeff…) because they are pretty sure there won’t be another season, so they’re trying to tie up loose ends before it goes.

I’m probably just being paranoid. But it really did seem like all of a sudden things are getting fast-tracked toward happy endings. Except for Lamar, of course. He just got ended.

• Shira says:

I really hope the show get renewed for another season…and also that it start getting the respect it deserve ( such an underrated show). As for what you were saying, think that we are not going toward a happy ending but toward new alliances. It’s not the end but the beginning of new stories.

18. tracey says:

ABC is stupid if they cancel this show – it’s one of their best – could be on any night and I would watch it…

• Amy H says:

On the plus side, there’s nothing else on TV quite like this right now in terms of music. Nashville has a loyal following. Jonathan Jackson just signed a recording contract which is a good sign. I’d say there’s hope for renewal — though Amie is right. They do seem to be tying up loose ends just in case. I so love the Deacon/Rayna dynamic. They do make beautiful music together. :) I also think I like Liam and Scarlett. At first I thought Liam was just leading Scarlett on as just another conquest, but maybe not the case. Anyone?

19. Furniture is costly and we intend that it final a lengthy time.
    Box sealing tape, furniture dollies, moving labels, twine and other
    moving accessories will also increase the cost of your move.
    Within the online beds are typically offered as component of bedroom furniture sets
    or bedroom suites where the queen size bed may be the most central piece of
    the bedroom furniture set.

20. Can Rayna just sign up Juliette for her record label already? I’d love to see that!

21. sherrie says:

need to get of zoey asap.

22. Ginny1955 says:

Excellent episode Connie Britton!

23. Angela says:

I’m still laughing at Kimberly Roots line of: “Glenn’s eventual memoir, My Eyes, My Eyes, My Eyes Are a Telescope: What I Can’t Un-See From My Years With Juliette Barnes.”. Indeed. Love this show!

24. Tran says:

Connie Britton, tho!

25. sladewilson says:

Somebody needs to use their pull and have the Nashville crew release “I Ain’t Leaving Without Your Love” as a single on iTunes, STAT!!!!! I’m just sayin…..

26. Hi there, i read your blog from time to time and i
    own a similar one and i was just wondering if you get a
    lot of spam feedback? If so how do you prevent it, any
    plugin or anything you can recommend? I get so much lately it’s driving
    me mad so any help is very much appreciated.

27. Hi there mates, how is everything, and what you would like to say
    concerning this article, in my view its in fact amazing in favor of me.

28. This is where I write about it. There is no good to distribute your document in order to do it the right keywords in your member’s
    area. I have done so and there really make money online is.
    This means that people are still valid not yet expire.

29. Christoper says:

To a degree, sleeping on the side with the head
    raised can counteract this. A person suffering from insomnia fails to get sleep
    or maintain consistency in the sleep pattern. As I mentioned earlier
    there are many aids offered to cure insomnia and their efficacy will vary from
    one individual to another.