Pretty Little Liars Recap: Off Their Rockers

Get More: Recaps

Pretty Little Liars RecapNow that Spencer has (allegedly) kicked her pill habit, this week’s episode of Pretty Little Liars found her passing the burden of insanity to Aria — and she handled those responsibilities like a pro.

Attempting to confront Ezra in the hall at Rosewood High was one thing, but breaking into his apartment and trashing everything in sight? That was pure genius.

RELATED | Exclusive Pretty Little Liars Sneak Peek: Will Suspicion Drive Emily and Paige Apart?

The irony, of course, is that this episode was directed by Aria’s on-screen dad, Chad Lowe, so Byron was not only watching his daughter go bananas, but actually encouraging her to do so. (The next time you ask yourself, “Where’s Aria’s dad in all of this?” there’s your answer.)

TROUBLE IN PAILY-DISE? | As you first saw in TVLine’s exclusive preview clip, Paige’s suspicion of her girlfriend is at an all-time high, and she finally reached her breaking point this week. After a heated confrontation, and a bizarre accusation about Emily’s grandmother being a stripper, Em finally dropped the “Alison is alive” bomb on Paige. Boom! Naturally, Paige tried to apply logic to the situation (i.e. ‘Alison is a lunatic’ and ‘This really isn’t your problem’) but Emily was hearing none of it. Then came the true betrayal: After another major fight with Emily, Paige wrote a letter to A.D. Incorporated, revealing that Ali is still alive. Is there no going back from this?

RELATED | Which Liar Was Most Glam? Was Russian Skater List-less? P’hood for Coach Taylor? And More Qs!

HANNA’S BAD TOUCH | Is it just me, or ever since Caleb moved to Ravenswood, has Hanna’s life been a series of terrible decisions? Case in point: After convincing Detective Holbrook to speak up for Travis at his sentencing this week, she thanked him… with a kiss. Look, I get that Gabe is a babe (those two words even rhyme), but has this girl never heard of a handshake? Or a thank-you card? Or nothing at all?

OFF THE WAGON | Oh, remember when I said Spencer was done with those pills? I lied, or rather, she lied. During a moment of weakness, Spence downed a handful of the good stuff, and her timing couldn’t have been worse. She discovered the card of the private investigator her dad had hired to follow Melissa, only there was a note that suggested he’d actually been hired to follow Spencer. (Wait, Spencer’s dad lied? Color me shocked.) Her next brilliant decision was physically confronting Ali’s mom, asking if she saw Spencer with a shovel the night Ali disappeared. It ended… not well.

This week’s episode gave us a lot to digest, but which part has you reeling most: Paige’s betrayal? Hanna’s kiss? Spencer’s possible involvement in Ali’s death? Head to the comments section with your latest theories.

Comments (48)

• Is it bad that I really want Paige and Emily to break up? Emily is obviously supposed to end up with Alison.

Comment by Harley – February 25, 2014 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL WHAT?

Comment by JJM – February 25, 2014 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Just give it time… It’ll happen.

Comment by Harley – February 25, 2014 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, because Alison is gay. Oh wait bi she’s not she just used and abused Emily. But yeah they are soo mfeo…

Comment by lk – February 25, 2014 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Obviously i meant no not bi (stupid Swype)

Comment by lk – February 25, 2014 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Um… like Paige didn’t abuse Emily? Before they started dating, she tried to drown her.

Comment by Harley – February 25, 2014 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’d rather Emily get back with Ben than sport any absurdities that her straight abusive friend would be a relationship with her. And I’m not a Paige fan but she is a million times better than Ali.

Comment by lk – February 25, 2014 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Support not sport ugh

Comment by lk – February 25, 2014 07:31 PM PDT
          • Haha I forgot about Ben. Whatever happened to him?

Comment by Harley – February 25, 2014 07:31 PM PDT
        • Maybe he’s off at boarding school with Sean

Comment by lk – February 25, 2014 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Actually I believe the writers have stated over and over again in interviews and on twitter that Paige would never of actually drowned Emily and honestly you would think viewers would move on a bit from that hell Emily saved Paige’s life and they have been together for a long time now where Paige has pretty much been the perfect gf this is the one thing she messed up doing and actually I would have done the same thing. Paige doesn’t know about the cops in Rosewood being corrupt.

Comment by Rachel – February 25, 2014 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ew… Emily and Alison? yuck. I think Ali is the ultimate A. I think shes just playing games with the Liars. Just my opinion of course!

Comment by Elyse – February 26, 2014 04:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Please tell me your joking!???

Comment by alex – February 28, 2014 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not at all promoting drug use, but the idea that add medication made Spencer violent and have memory gaps is ridiculous…. Aria being crazy was the only realistic part of this episode.

Comment by lk – February 25, 2014 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I learned not to look for realism on PLL a loooong time ago.

Comment by Harley – February 25, 2014 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s masochistic but i can’t help it. Are they seriously trying to have us believe that Spencer, who remembers how many steps it takes to walk places would be so dumb. And really are we supposed to believe she hit Ali with a shovel… Every week i say I’m done…

Comment by lk – February 25, 2014 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, there are many medications that are know to cause memory loss, hallucinations and/or violent outbursts. Even alcohol can do that. Ever heard of a black out drunk? Keep in mind also, she is not using meds as would normally be used, taking them more frequently and in higher dosages than would be prescribed. (She’s been seen taking a handful of them.) She doesn’t sleep or doesn’t sleep much when she’s taking them, and sleep deprivation alone can cause violence, memory loss etc. Put them together and I find it completely believable that she’d be having the issues she’s having.

Comment by Dursam – February 26, 2014 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on THB Files and commented:
    Best PLL episode ever made. The scene where Aria trashing Ezra’s apartment was classic. It reminds me of a scene from the 1995 movie “Waiting To Exhale” where Angela Bassett’s character taking her husband’s clothes, put them it in a car and set it on fire for cheating on her with a white woman. God I love it.

Comment by Justin Burnell – February 25, 2014 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel finally over the show but couldn’t help but tune in to see Aria’s meltdown. Though turns out it was pretty much covered in the preview scenes they released.

I know reality is suspended and all, but after as much as they’ve been terrorized, couldn’t the liars finally be just slightly careful about watching their backs?

Spencer is downing handful of pills supplied by A, I know she was having a rough time but no pause at all to wonder/worry that the pills are kosher?

Emily drives an hour, and probably should be paranoid about “leading someone to Ali” and somehow doesn’t notice Paige following her? Paige isn’t exactly CIA here, probably wasn’t too hard to notice.

Comment by Tee – February 25, 2014 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am rrally glad to glance at this webpage posts which includes
    tons of helpful data, thanks for providing these
    information.

Comment by lazythinformula – February 25, 2014 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh and correction in the recap:
    “After another major fight with Emily, Paige wrote a letter to A.D. Incorporated, revealing that Ali is still alive.”

She didn’t write a letter to A.D. Incorporated, she wrote a letter to the police telling them Ali was alive and gave them A.D. Incorporated’s address (aka where Emily was sending the money).

Comment by Tee – February 25, 2014 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What is A.D. Incorporated?

Comment by A – February 25, 2014 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I assume A.D. stands for Alison Dilaurentis but I could be wrong.

Comment by Elyse – February 26, 2014 04:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aughhhh. This show’s treatment of Ezra is so gross. What publisher in their right mind would publish a book by a man who has slept with an underage murder victim and her underage best friend? Seriously. From the opening of the book it makes it sound like he’s gonna tell about his relationship with Alison, and if it’s seriously trying to be a ‘true crime’ novel, what publisher would risk the PR nightmare to support and publish a book by a pedophile? Also who just wouldn’t contact the police about it? It’s seriously so messed up. He’s a pedophile; even if Alison did lie about her age, he knew Aria was (max!) sixteen and the age of consent in Pennsylvania is eighteen. He’s gross and should go to jail. Not sell a book.

Comment by collectcall – February 25, 2014 09:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree

Comment by A – February 25, 2014 11:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m assuming he wouldn’t have told the publisher he was sleeping with a minor, Aria. I don’t think he’s stupid enough to do that, and they only know what he reveals to them. Probably just sites “a source” in the book. I have despised Ezra’s character since day 1, and never wanted them to be a couple. This reveal just shows the character I always suspected that he really had. If he had really met her prior to school started, not known she was a minor, and ended up as her teacher he could have easily resolved it. In Pennsylvania, the age of consent for sexual relations is 16 years old. This applies across the board, to males and females, and to heterosexual as well as homosexual conduct. He could have gone to the principal, stated he had met her over the summer, was not aware of her age, asked to have her assigned to another class and agreed to stay away from her. Dating her prior to him starting his teaching job was not illegal. Dating her once he started teaching is. They also should have gone to her parents after that first day of class, stated they had met, he was unaware of her age, and that she was being assigned to a different class because of their prior history and has agreed to stay away from her. The fact that he didn’t do any of that, told me from day 1 that he was sleazy. I do think it’s stupid that the girls don’t report him to the police now for what he’s done to Aria. As her teacher, he can be arrested for “corruption of a minor” because she is under 18 and he is her teacher, which will put him away fro 5-7 years. If they want to stop this book, with all their secrets in it, from being published reporting him to the police would do it.

Comment by Dursam – February 26, 2014 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m not so sure he is there to sell that book. It’s what we’re supposed to believe…;)

Comment by Lambsilencer – February 26, 2014 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m not condoning grown men having relationships with minors. But, it doesn’t matter if were talking about a TV show or whatever, a lot of people love to throw the term “pedophile” around and they don’t even know it’s true meaning. A pedo

Comment by Madi – March 2, 2014 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sorry for the repeated comment guys. I wasn’t finished and it submitted my comment.

Comment by Madi – March 2, 2014 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m not condoning grown men having relationships with minors. But, a lot of people love to throw around the term, “pedophile” with out even understanding the actual meaning of it. No matter if were talking reality or TV. A “pedophile”, has a mental disorder, and they have interest for CHILDREN who have NOT yet reached sexual maturity, (e.g a period). The criteria to be clinically diagnosed as a pedophile means you have to be sexually attracted to someone under 13, if you are of legal age. I’m pretty sure Aria has become fully sexually developed. Therefore he is not a pedophile, unless he’s showing intrest in prepubescent children. There is another term for what he would accurately be placed under, as seeming that he has sexual feelings towards someone aged (15-17). That term would be Ephebophilia. Ezra would be an ephebophiliac, this is an adult with attractions towards teens aged 15-17. No where near being a “pedophile”. Against the law? Yes. Morally wrong? Depends on who you ask.

Comment by Madi – March 2, 2014 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can they kill Paige already? She is unbearable and I wouldn’t be surprised if she was A. Lets not forget she tried to drown Emily early on in the series. How attempted murder turned into a love affair still escapes me to this day.

Comment by Jillian – February 25, 2014 09:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! I’ve never really liked her for Emily, but I really had a problem with her actions in this episode. I just don’t like Paige!

Comment by Beth – February 26, 2014 02:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Emily is still into Alison so if Alison is alive they will end up together I hope Maya is alive let see who will end up with Emily

Comment by Josephine kaindaneh – February 26, 2014 02:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Paige slipping the note in the cop car at the end… I would KILL her. No wonder Em didn’t tell her sooner.

Comment by Elyse – February 26, 2014 04:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lol i think the show is super lame yet i still tune in every few weeks not sure why. Either way if Ezra was A why not show his face at end of episodes ?

Comment by david – February 26, 2014 05:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PLL or PCL???

Comment by troll – February 26, 2014 06:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it just me or didn’t Emily and Paige break up episodes ago after that disaster of a surprise party for Emily? I don’t remember them getting back together and Paige has been absent from the canvas for a while. I may be the only one who feels this way, but good for her for trying to talk some sense into Emily! The girls are being morons when it comes to dealing with her. And I totally cringed when Hanna went in for that kiss w/ Gabe. Stop kissing people Hanna!

Comment by Meredith – February 26, 2014 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am sorry but I like Paige and I really don’t have a problem with what she did. Uh hello, Emily has been almost killed how many times? There is all of this going on and she is trying to protect someone. At this point I would be like, well we may break up, but at least you will still be alive. I mean everyone is saying go to the police…why haven’t they gone to the police, well, now someone has….YAY….let’s move forward folks…let’s move forward.

Comment by Kimberly – February 26, 2014 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They’ve made it a point to explain why the Liars have never gone to the police. Because in Rosewood, all of the cops are crooked, or tied into the A drama. So going to the police would’ve been pretty pointless. (To all the people going “why don’t they ever go to the police???” We hear you. We get it. Calm down. Obviously they’ve tried that and we see what transpired afterwards. That said, Paige REALLY ticked me off. Sue me, but I hope Emily finds out sooner rather than later that she did that. I figured they’d break up because Emily never gets to keep anyone she has feelings for, so this little twists works.

Comment by Addilyn – March 1, 2014 10:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I kept telling all my friends Spencer is Ali’s “killer” but Ali survived! thats why Spencer is always trying to find someone to pin this on like, Ian/Garret/Ezra. She subcounciously knows that she had something to do with it. thats why Ali says to Hanna, that they all put together know more about what happened that night then they think they do. I think this episode made Aria look crazy so they could hint that she has a mental illness. But lately has anyone realized, A hasn’t been as involved.

Comment by Arsema – February 26, 2014 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Paige just keeps reminding me why I don’t like her, first she bullied Emily, made moves on Emily while she was in a relationship (talk about straight disrespect), wanting Emily to move with her to Cali (only because people jumped on Maya for doing the same thing, but when Paige does it, it’s cute smh), taking Emily’s phone and ignoring Spencer’s call after trying to get Emily to ditch her friends, and now she’s making Ali a bigger target because she believes that there is no way that Ali has changed/she’s jealous, but yet she “changed” from her bullying ways (so basically it’s ok for Emily to forgive her for how she was a bully, but it’s not ok for Emily to forgive Ali, hypocrite much).

This is why Marlene tweeted around last season that Paige was not Emily’s soul mate.

Comment by Sixers – February 27, 2014 01:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it just me or does it feel like A doesn’t even matter anymore?

Comment by Connie – February 27, 2014 01:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Spencer “killed” Allison. A is Allison continuing to play mind games with the girls as retribution for not stopping Spencer.

Comment by Amanda – February 27, 2014 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nice theory! But it has been confirmed that they won’t be exploring the storyline of Ali being ‘A’. Maybe part of the A team, but definitely not the head hauncho. Because that’s what happened in the books, and that would be a huge spoiler, obviously, the whole show would have been over before it began. And I may be wrong, but I’m pretty sure it was confirmed that ‘A’ was male, or at least who Ali “fears most.”

Comment by Madi – March 2, 2014 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think ultimately we will learn That Aria is A… Check on Youtube there are so many videos that proves that one of the four tried to kill Alison and that it was Aria… You’d be shocked… And she is the only one whose name starts with an A except Alison… And everything started when she came back from Island… Type “Aria is A” on Youtube and you would be surprised..

Comment by liv – March 5, 2014 12:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post