Ratings: HBO's Looking Hits Series High -- So Where's the Season 2 Renewal?

Looking Season 2 RenewalThings are Looking up.

Sunday’s episode of HBO’s Jonathan Groff-fronted gay dramedy attracted a series-high 519K viewers — a 54 percent increase from the show’s premiere in January.

The uptick comes at a critical time for Looking: HBO is currently weighing whether to bring the show back for a second season.

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s Already Renewed? What’s on the Bubble?

Elsewhere on Sunday, Looking‘s lead-in, Girls, drew an on-par 916K viewers, while True Detective kicked off the night at 9/8c with a series high 2.6 million viewers.

1. Eric7740 says:

HBO, you better renew Looking, its an excellent series and it needs the opportunity to grow!! Perhaps with a better lead-in???

• HAP says:

A better lead-in? It’s already losing 40% of viewers from Girls. What’s a so-called better lead in? A show with fewer viewers than Girls, so the drop off won’t be as great?

Personally, the show really bores me.

2. D. says:

Looking is my new osession. It would be PERFECT without Augustine though. He’s really one of the worst main characters in tv history.

3. GuessWhat says:

Whichever Einstein at HBO thought pairing GIRLS (which pretty much only gross girls watch) with LOOKING (which only gay guys watch) should be fired.

• Eric7740 says:

I, 100% percent agree with you GuessWhat!!!

• Adam says:

Ignoring the insults, the pairing is actually pretty great in terms of tone and there’s probably a strong crossover audience. The bigger question is why they are paired with True Detective. The shift in tones from the hour long moody crime drama to two lighter romantic comedies is always a bit jarring.

4. celia ruano rivero says:

Which is the demo?

• ... says:

Demo matters less for networks like Showtime and HBO. Where they don’t sell ads, they tend to focus on subscription rates, cumulative audience, and critical/awards buzz.

5. Mike R. says:

I’m cautiously optimistic for a renewal, HBO seeing growth may convince them that it will continue to grow in a season 2, at least that’s what I’m hoping.

6. John says:

Is the point of “Looking” to demonstrate that when gay men aren’t reinforcing negative stereotypes they’re just as boring as everyone else? Because that’s what I’ve been getting for six episodes now.

7. Geo says:

If HBO renewed “Getting On,” they’d be crazy not to renew “Looking.” The growth potential for “Looking”– particularly if they’re smart and bring in a big name or two for season two– seems far more likely than for “Getting On.”

8. katrina says:

This site must really not like True Detective! Never mentions it. You talk about a show that doesn’t even get a million views about getting a 2nd season but not a word about True Detective that has over twice as many! And its probably the best show on tv right now! Very disappointed!!

• Alienate says:

Well, they did give both of True’s two leads their “Best Actor of the week” award. So… they do follow it. And it is the best on TV currently.

• Richard says:

I hate True Detective. Most people like it though. I don’t know why people like it.

• katrina says:

I love it cause the acting to me anyways is really good! But I think the writing is what sets it apart! Its not a show for everyone. I would never ask my grandmother to watch it. I remember the actors did get those awards a few weeks back. But that is it. But when Glee is on we get bombed with 20 articles a week on it!

• Dan says:

The acting is either amazing or it is not. There’s no “to me”. Let’s learn not to be so subjective when it doesn’t make sense. The acting in True Detective is superb, whether one likes the story or not — and that’s a whole different matter, maybe more of taste. The acting, tho, isn’t.

• Richard says:

I think the acting is great, but I w

• katrina says:

really..you must have some time on your hands! Yes to me the acting is great! If I put the acting is the best ive seen I was pretty sure someone would say “not in my opinion”. Not expecting someone to take those two words and be an ass about it!

9. Carmen says:

I love this show, I REALLY hope it gets renewed for a second season. Please, please, please¡¡¡¡

10. The Mangina Monolgues says:

Looking is horrible…unattractive and unappealing cast, dismal writing, boring storylines…it’s done already.

11. Jay Boucher says:

Hopefully the won’t renew. If it takes until ep 6 of 8 to get going, something is wrong. HBO should look at some fantastic web series and order them….”Hustling”, “25” and “Hunting Season” are great. HBO could do wonders with those, simply by showing them in that timeslot. “Looking” just never caught my attention….the characters are woefully underdeveloped even at this point and unrealistic (If at 29 you need to Google ‘uncircumcised’ yet you have sex in a public park IN SAN FRANCISCO something isn’t right Patrick). I give credit to HBO for trying something new, since we haven’t had anything since QAF but cut your losses…..

• Brian says:

I agree whole-heartedly with all of what you said. It is currently the most boring series on television. Too many episodes have gone by with virtually no character development or storyline progression.

12. Jimmy says:

I know it’s HBO, but is 519K viewers considered acceptable even by them?

• Marie says:

It’s not mentioned here but other outlets are reporting that Looking is grossing 2 million weekly viewers according to HBO. I would hope with the increase in ratings (3rd straight week the ratings have increased) and the 2 million weekly viewers, that would be enough for a renewal. I absolutely love the show.

13. David says:

I need actual storylines on my tv shows, not just sex and flirting. I don’t care if it gets renewed or not. Shameless and Girls give me my gay fix on Sunday nights.

14. Jared says:

The Richie/Patrick relationship is the only reason why im still watching Looking. There such a cute couple. The rest of the cast..ehh but either way the show deserves a second season especially given the fact that it’s grown its audience since the premiere.

15. xwiseguyx says:

I just need sex and flirting… but storylines would be a plus…

16. Guy says:

I haven’t watched the latest episode, but last week’s was one of the most beautiful episodes of TV I’ve ever watched. Hope it comes back next season!

17. CJ says:

I love this show so much. It keeps getting better and better – this week’s episode was my favorite so far. It’s funny, touching, and always leaves me wanting more.

18. acm says:

Cancel Looking…IT IS AWFUL!

19. c says:

Looking is SO GOOD, I don’t even care to linger on its downfalls because they’re irrelevant when parred against the good bits, in my opinion. I feel like at the moment it’s relatively underrated, but it’s still new and with the right publicity/advertising combined with word of mouth I feel like the series has really big potential to catch on. I personally watch Girls also and I can see why HBO chose to air it after that, but I agree that Looking would probably benefit from a different lead in. Absolutely rooting for a season 2 renewal!!

20. RR says:

Looking is great. I can relate to the characters and am absorbed when watching it and look forward to watching the next episode…..what more can you expect??? Sincerely hope that it will have a second season. Andrew Haigh and Michael Lannan are very talented so are the cast( how can one not mention Jonathan Groff….

21. thor@thorsss.com says:

I LOVE “LOOKING”. It’s so real and love the honest characters. I use to live in San Francisco and feel like I’m there with friends watching the show. PLEASE HBO renew the series!

22. Phillip says:

Please screen a second season of Looking, we love it in Australia

23. Bull Winkle says:

If you’re a white guy who (only w/in the last 10 years) is obsessed with Latino stereotypes & blue collar chic, this show is for you. If you’re a Latino guy who likes to be referred to as cholo or “uncut Latin dick,” then this show is for you. That is who this show is written for. Somehow the writers think that everyone is into what they’re into. I don’t find the show boring at all. I’m tired of reality show hype and over-the-top, unrealistic drama. However, the show’s obsession with Latino stereotypes is disgusting. The (typical, tired, untrue) innocent, pure white, Midwesterner meets a Mexican guy & the subject turns to cholos and “uncut Latin dick”. We didn’t see anyone talking about tiny white dick or femme white men. The Mexican worked at… Este Noche & guess who was on video in the club…. Cazwell. A white guy who is obsessed, not with Latino men, but cholo-looking Latino men. So blatant. It’s deliberately told from a (hick) white guy’s perspective – one that sees Latinos and uncut dick. Just seemed so unsophisticated, so racist, so 1980s. The white guy even Googled “uncut Latin dick” and then told the Mexican guy he expected uncut when they had sex. The trend of white males who objectify Latinos as uncut dick and the epitome of blue-collarness has been around for about a decade now. It didn’t exist in the 90s. It crept up when “blue collar chic” came in style and everyone wanted a tattoo and goatee or beard. Speaking of beards. I like them just fine, but the show tries so hard to be “edgy” and hipster, that it’s almost a parody of trendy beard culture. I’m almost expecting women to have them. More than anything, I hope it’s canceled after the second season for the depiction of Latinos, it’s being told from that white objectifying point of view and the curious exclusion of Asians in a city that is 33% Asian.