How I Met Your Mother Spin-Off Adds Drew Tarver

Drew Tarver How I Met Your DadUpright Citizens Brigade member Drew Tarver is the latest addition to CBS’ How I Met Your Mother offshoot pilot.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2014: Your Complete Guide to This Fall’s (Possible) New Shows and Who’s In Them

How I Met Your Dad is described as a “kindred spirit” of How I Met Your Mother — only this time telling the story of a relationship from the point of view of Sally (played by Greta Gerwig), a “female Peter Pan” who is thinking of calling it quits with her husband of a year, Gavin.

Tarver will play Todd, Sally’s best friend and brother-in-law, our sister site Deadline reports. Described as “warm” and “outgoing,” Todd is more than happy to have Sally move into the apartment he shares with her Type A brother Danny, who is openly unhappy about having her as a third roommate.

RELATED | Pilot Scoop: Greta Gerwig Set to Star in HIMYM Spin-Off How I Met Your Dad

Still to be cast for HIMYD are Danny, Sally’s fashion blogger/party girl BFF Juliet, Juliet’s “hot nerd” colleague Frank and the Narrator aka grown-up Sally.

Thoughts on Tarver’s casting? Suggestions for the rest of the HIMYD crew?

1. Mike R. says:

From the description of Todd, Tarver seems like a great choice, and I love shows that cast relatively unknowns.

2. queerbec says:

So, if Todd is both Sally’s BFF and her brother-n-law, I think it would be safe to assume that he’s married to her brother, Danny. And I would take it that Gavin would not be a character on the show and that the “Dad” would be someone that Sally has yet to meet.

• 'A' is Alive says:

He is married to Danny. Deadline reported that in their article of his casting.

• Angie says:

SPOILERS ALERT!!!
      Frank is the father, Sally says it at the end of the first episode , according to the script. They don’t start going out right away, though.

• If that is at all valid, why would you post that here?

• D'Arcy says:

To invoke discussion. With a huge SPOILER ALERT heading… I think it’s fair.

Anyway, I like this idea a bit more because it doesn’t shoehorn them into finding a father, and they can essentially run the show using the same HIMYM-flashback-heavy format without that always pulling at their heels.

3. Brian Jacobson says:

I nominate Allison Janney for the role of narrator.

4. e says:

i saw eliza dushku was reading for the role of juliet and i kind of love her so i hope we see a casting post soon!

• Wouter says:

I love Eliza Dushku and tbh i think i’m one of the few people who are actually really excited about HIMYD so this is great news!

5. Fernanda says:

the male Robin?

6. I’m a big HIMYM fan, and not one of those “It’s awful now and get on with it and the mother should have been in season 3 and what’s the point but I’ll post about it every week” kind of fans. I’ve genuinely enjoyed it from beginning to end.

I also enjoy spin-offs generally, (I may be the only person who liked Joey (especially before they “fixed” it in seaon 2) more than Friends). So I was really looking forward to seeing HYMYD.

That said, the more I read about it the less interested I am in this show. I’ll undoubtedly give it a chance, but I’m concerned. The lead character ‘Sally’ seems like a horrible person, and the rest of the cast seem like a generic collection of sitcom cliches.

I’ll watch it, because I’m hoping that it’ll be better on the screen than it looks on paper. I really hope that this is a good show, but I’m worried it won’t be.

7. Ella says:

Still irks me that it’s not titled “How I Met Your FATHER”…

8. Diana says:

Kristin Ritter…from “Don’t Trust the B…in Apartment 23″….she would be perfect for Juliet.