Ratings: Sochi Winter Olympics Close Below Vancouver, Trip Up Amazing Race Premiere

Ratings Olympics Closing CeremonyNBC’s coverage of the Sochi Winter Olympics‘ closing ceremony on Sunday night averaged about 15.3 million total viewers and a 3.3 demo rating, down 29 and 40 percent from the Vancouver 2010 games’ farewell fete.

Based on available data thus far, the Sochi games wound up trailing Vancouver by 13 and 17 percent, averaging 21.2 mil and a 5.5.

PHOTOS | Winter Olympics 2014: 10 Things We Learned From the Sochi Games

Leading out of the closing ceremony, NBC’s Growing Up Fisher preview — which TVLine readers gave an average grade of “B” — did 9.4 mil and a 2.1 (versus About a Boy‘s Saturday night sampling of 8.3 mil/2.2, following a much softer Olympics outing).

PREMIERE POLL | NBC’s Growing Up Fisher: Are You Barking For More?

Facing the Olympics as well as a rain-delayed Daytona 500 on Fox (which drew about 6.3 mil/2.0), CBS’ 24th running of The Amazing Race opened to 7.4 mil/1.6, down from Cycle 23′s opener (8.6 mil/2.0) as well as the series’ year-ago kick-off (9.6 mil/2.5) and hitting an all-time low for a premiere.

1. Gerald says:

I’m sorry I LOVE The Amazing Race. But this All Star Edition is filled with the least appealing teams from the past seasons and several have already been on the show TWICE before. Amazing Race is a once in a lifetime trip around the world to win a million dollars. Except some of these unappealing characters are getting a third shot!!!
    I will still watch, but not surprised the numbers are low.

• GuessWhat says:

agreed. at least the first ousted pair was one of the most annoying!

• Et al says:

I can’t take those dumb cowboys anymore. I had to pass on this edition.

• The Beach says:

I’m not watching until they get a whole, fresh newbie group. I’ve had enough of all the retreads. And I’m also looking at you Survivor, Big Brother, etc.

• This. Tired of retreads, but if you’re going to do an All Star cast, CBS, haven’t you figured out that we really don’t want to see any of the least-liked teams again, much less all of them on one show. Yikes. There’s nothing “feel good” about this cycle that gorgeous global countrysides can overcome, so I gave it a pass. Not surprised to note how many others felt the same way. A shame, it used to be a favorite.

2. Katherine215 says:

I wonder how much the Olympics were affected by the time difference. I know a lot of people that watched the closing ceremonies live online, as well as other events throughout the Games, so maybe some Nielsen viewers did the same.

• Len says:

It is also interesting how these rating reports go to great lengths to point out often how a show did against its last equal showing. Yet, all we get was an unrealistic comparison to a North American olympicsw it hour a severe time shift.

For the record Turin in 2006 had 14.8 million for the closing ceremonies. So with the advances in streaming online and mobile, 15.3 million for NBC in 2012 has to be considered a win,

• Pat D. says:

Great point—for me, the Olympics lost a little bit of luster, knowing that often when you were watching some event, it actually happened like 12 hours ago. Also, try as you might to avoid it—sometimes you just run into spoilers during the day that kind of takes away any enjoyment you would have watching it during primetime.

But hey, there’s a whole other (more than) half of the world that has the same complaints when the Olympics are somewhere in North or South America. Can’t win em all.

No reprieve for the next winter games either—South Korea.

• Katherine215 says:

I was more frustrated by the spoilers in week 1. By week 2, I gave up trying to remain unspoiled and just checked results so I could watch without nerves for our athletes. It’s a little more relaxed knowing in advance if the US wins or not. :) I’m bummed about the worse time difference in South Korea, but I agree – it’s inconvenient for some group no matter where they’re held, so it’s our turn to deal. Should be easier in Rio, though!

3. Name This Tune says:

All I can think about is Will Farrell attempting figure skating to the theme from Downton Abbey on Jimmy Kimmel. He nailed the essence of every figure skating routine you’ve ever seen.

4. ninamags says:

That bear was adorable!!

I wonder how they got him to move like that! He seemed so life-like. He was even singing along to the song.

Cool stuff.

5. PhillyWings says:

NBCFail — no surprise when you start it at 8:30 after a 90-minute documentary on a 20-year story that everyone has been over for 20 years. And then you truncate it to fit in another sitcom that no one will care about. Some year, NBC will learn how to run the Olympics better. Or hopefully, another network will have the chance.

• Name This Tune says:

Or they will learn to let those who are interested watch it on demand.

• Et al says:

Gotta disagree. That documentary was the only interesting part of the coverage of these wretched games.

• Katherine215 says:

You know, I agreed with the complaints about NBC in 2012, since it was really hard to find any live coverage of the events. But this year, I thought NBC did a great job of showing a lot of stuff live during the day. Yes, some was held until prime time, but you could find most of it live *somewhere.*
      Come on, who didn’t love watching the trashy train wreck that is Tonya Harding?

• GuessWhat says:

you goofs are crazy. ESPN already aired a documentary on this 2 months ago. NBC forced their version on us and even Nancy and Tonya were bored out of their minds talking about it again. zzzzzz.

6. Sarahliz says:

That bear was the creepiest thing I’ve ever seen.